Interesting article posted by Kirk Tuck...All the cameras are better than you are

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
DaveLemi
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?
Interesting article posted by Kirk Tuck...All the cameras are better than you are
6 months ago

This is well thought out and delves into what is sufficient-

http://ripecamera.blogspot.com/2014/03/all-cameras-are-better-than-you-are.html

Kirk's site-

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2014/03/important-announcement-from-ceo-of.html

-- hide signature --

Some of my pics can be found here-
www.flickr.com/photos/davelemi

DaveLemi's gear list:DaveLemi's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +6 more
NCV
NCV
Contributing MemberPosts: 766Gear list
Like?
Re: Interesting article linked by Kirk Tuck...All the cameras are better than you are
In reply to DaveLemi, 6 months ago

Thanks for an interesting read.

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
radsaq
Contributing MemberPosts: 702Gear list
Like?
Re: Interesting article posted by Kirk Tuck...All the cameras are better than you are

What's he got against photos of cats sleeping on carpets? 

radsaq's gear list:radsaq's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +9 more
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,808Gear list
Like?
His attitude sucks.....

DaveLemi wrote:

Kirk's site-

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2014/03/important-announcement-from-ceo-of.html

-- hide signature --

Quote (re M4/3) " And while the adaptation rate in the U.S. (lower education standards than most of the rest of the world) has been slow many parts of the world are snapping them up and eroding market share of the conventional mirrored digital cameras."

I'm an Aussie (most intelligent species in the world!) and even I'm offended by his attitude.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Brian Wadie
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,440Gear list
Like?
Re: Interesting article posted by Kirk Tuck...All the cameras are better than you are

DaveLemi wrote:

Kirk's site-

-- hide signature --

Who wants to work with a smart-arxe camera than can take better pictures than a trained professional photographer - ban automation and do away with auto and scene modes I say!

-- hide signature --

So much to learn, so little time left to do it!

(its a F-arsei-cal  that I can't use the word "Smart-Arce" 'cos its considered rude and is banned - oh dear )

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +6 more
Edwaste
Contributing MemberPosts: 945Gear list
Like?

Very good article and so true. Thanks for posting the link.

Edwaste's gear list:Edwaste's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +2 more
Paul Auclair
Senior MemberPosts: 2,821Gear list
Like?
good read indeed...

i'd bet Olympus let out a big sigh of "exxxxaaaaaccccttlyyyyy!!!!!!!!".

what i like the best about the article is that Kirk (unlike many other web 'experts') is well respected and his article, as true and merited as it is [pertaining to photographic gear], is undeniable to anyone.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Auclair's gear list:Paul Auclair's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +19 more
DaveLemi
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?
Re: good read indeed...
In reply to Paul Auclair, 6 months ago

Paul Auclair wrote:

i'd bet Olympus let out a big sigh of "exxxxaaaaaccccttlyyyyy!!!!!!!!".

what i like the best about the article is that Kirk (unlike many other web 'experts') is well respected and his article, as true and merited as it is [pertaining to photographic gear], is undeniable to anyone.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Paul

Kirk is a great photographer and a master at lighting. I don't want to speak for him, but I get the sense he tired of looking at pictures of poorly lit subjects and raves about high ISO performance.

-- hide signature --

DaveLemi's gear list:DaveLemi's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +6 more
jhinkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,343Gear list
Like?

Interesting read, though it is certainly only from his point of view.  He makes some sweeping statements and gets some things right while others he's off base in my opinion.

His overall point of cameras being good enough, though not valid for me personally, is true for many people I know that are casual shooters.

Cells phone sensors and images became good enough and the compact market has dried up.

APS-C based cameras became good enough and there is little incentive to switch (based on the casual Canon, Sony, and Nikon DX shooters that I know) to a new DSLR or to something like m43 (which I think Oly and Pany have not done nearly enough advertising here in the states to let most people know m43 even exists which has nothing to do with educational standards as the folks that I know who shoot APS-C DSLRs are certainly above average in eduction, affluence, etc.).

Consumers are both savvy and fickle at the same time.  Human nature is to both use what's good enough while at other times always strive for the best/latest - savvy and fickle for sure.

- J

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +19 more
Jim Salvas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,827Gear list
Like?

I'll bet this won't go over well with the available darkness crowd on the Nikon FX forum, where they're competing to see who can take the best pics of speeding panthers in coal mines. Or, at least people and kittens in poorly-lit living rooms and mosh pits.

Heaven forbid they should put a flash on a Df or figure out that typical home lighting is meant to make the furniture look good, not the people.

We're not immune in this forum, either, as people ignore the inherent benefits of actual DOF on m43 and spend major dollars to get f/0.95 lenses that focus on just the front part of an eyeball.

By the way, I loved Kirk's mention of "New York lighting." That town has a lot of available darkness.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,743Gear list
Like?
Agree...All the cameras are better than I am.

That is why I'm immune to GAS

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
James A Rinner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,494Gear list
Like?
Where can I buy the t-shirt? NT
-- hide signature --

Sincerely,
James A. Rinner

James A Rinner's gear list:James A Rinner's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +2 more
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,540Gear list
Like?
In reply to radsaq, 6 months ago

radsaq wrote:

What's he got against photos of cats sleeping on carpets?

Or puling little brats…

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 +25 more
danstroud
Forum MemberPosts: 66Gear list
Like?
Pretty sure that's just Kirk's sense of humor ;)
In reply to Guy Parsons, 6 months ago

Although maybe there is a direct correlation between education rates and M4/3 adoption. Hmm…

danstroud's gear list:danstroud's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
morepix
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,067Gear list
Like?
This is not a good time for a poll ...

... on "How many cameras do you have?"

• more than 6
  • more than you have
  • none of your @%&! business!
-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Michael J Davis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,440Gear list
Like?
Ah - but HOW MUCH better? ;-) (nt)
In reply to s_grins, 6 months ago

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis
Photographing the public for over 50 years
www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

Michael J Davis's gear list:Michael J Davis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +3 more
yanisha
Senior MemberPosts: 1,185
Like?
Why It’s Never Mattered That America’s Schools ‘Lag’ Behind Other Countries

Guy Parsons wrote:

Quote (re M4/3) " And while the adaptation rate in the U.S. (lower education standards than most of the rest of the world) has been slow many parts of the world are snapping them up and eroding market share of the conventional mirrored digital cameras."

I'm an Aussie (most intelligent species in the world!) and even I'm offended by his attitude.

Guy, I am Canadian and I am also offended by his attitude. He has a right to his opinion and it does seem to be fashionable in the U.S. these days for those who want to appear hip to make deprecating comments about their country. This article gives a different take on it though:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/03/why-its-never-mattered-that-americas-schools-lag-behind-other-countries-2013-edition/

The United States has never ranked at the top of international education tests, since we began comparing countries in 1964, yet has been the dominant economic and innovative force in the world the entire time. Despite this fact, a popular annual education report has once again stoked fears of America's impending economic mediocrity with fresh stats on how far the U.S. “lags” behind the world in college attainment, pre-school enrollment, and high school graduation.

The reason for the apparent disconnect is because schools don't prepare students for the real world, so broad educational attainment will have a weak correlation with economic power. Research has consistently shown that on nearly every measure of education (instructional hours, class-size, enrollment, college preparation), what students learn in school does not translate into later life success. The United States has an abundance of the factors that likely do matter: access to the best immigrants, economic opportunity, and the best research facilities.

Kirk Tuck
Senior MemberPosts: 1,927Gear list
Like?
Re: His attitude sucks.....

facts is facts mate.

-- hide signature --

Austin based advertising and portrait photographer, and author of the book series, Minimalist Lighting, and the books: Commercial Photographers Handbook, Photographic Lighting Equipment, and, LED Lighting for Digital Photographers. www.kirktuck.com

Kirk Tuck's gear list:Kirk Tuck's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Samsung Galaxy NX Samsung NX30 +2 more
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,808Gear list
Like?
Unnecessary....
In reply to Kirk Tuck, 6 months ago

Kirk Tuck wrote:

facts is facts mate.

True, it is the truth, but it is unnecessary in the context.

The true reason why larger cameras to M4/3 are preferred in USA (and even now in China) is the common belief that "bigger is better" in those countries. It's zero to do with education standards.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
DonSC
Contributing MemberPosts: 924
Like?
All funny. Mostly all true.
In reply to morepix, 6 months ago

Very entertaining article. Mostly true but the right gear makes it easier. For example, if you're shooting BIF then a body that can only AF using CDAF is a problem. But let's face it, Henri Cartier-Bresson managed great action images with a camera which today would have an unacceptable shutter lag.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads