Why no D800 M-RAW equivalent to Canon?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Arnaud M
Regular MemberPosts: 490Gear list
Like?
Why no D800 M-RAW equivalent to Canon?
5 months ago

If only Nikon could implement this functionality, the d800 really become an almost perfect camera.

With 36 MP, you could expect an M-RAM equivalent to a 24MP or 16MP, see both.

To work! Nikon

-- hide signature --
 Arnaud M's gear list:Arnaud M's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +5 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
diverroy
Contributing MemberPosts: 726
Like?
Re: Why no D800 M-RAW equivalent to Canon?
In reply to Arnaud M, 5 months ago

Why? The canon sRaw is not true RAW as it throws away information to make the file smaller.

The D800 has many options that makes the file smaller keeping all the information intact.

-- hide signature --

Diverroy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
falconeyes
Contributing MemberPosts: 820
Like?

Canon mRaw is a dumb format.

Anybody needing smaller raws should have a serious look at Adobe DNG 1.4. Its capability for downsampled compressed linear RAW is awesome and delivers higher quality at smaller file size than e.g., mRaw or Nikon's new small raw.

Moreover, conversion via dng converter is blazingly fast.

-- hide signature --

Falk Lumo

coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,972Gear list
Like?

This option seems to be talked about quiet a bit. And the idea of a smaller RAW file being available on demand sounds tempting. Perhaps very useful for some.

Pure speculation on my part:  My take as to why it doesn't seem to be on the mainstream wishlist for many D800 owners is that possibly the bulk of them purchased the camera precisely because of the large files. The idea of having a camera capable of producing large files, for some I would think, is contrary to the idea of ignoring a portion of the sensor output to produce a smaller RAW file.

I certainly wouldn't want to extrapolate what I want in a camera to be what the majority wants, but if the feature were available I probably wouldn't use it. The large files cause me no issues and I don't shoot subjects that require a high frame rate. I have no storage issues. Not to say others might not want more versatility from the camera, but should I need those capabilities I have other bodies.

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

aut0maticdan
Contributing MemberPosts: 645Gear list
Like?
what are the other benefits?

There has been a lot of talk about this since the D4s has something similar. I wonder about some of the positive side effects of doing this besides just the smaller output. As an enthusiast, I'd like the flexibility without having multiple expensive and heavy bodies.

A lot of people have an immediate negative reaction to downsizing a file from the D800 because they think of it as sacred and jump to the conclusion that you've wasted money and 'don't get it.' That's fair enough, but I'd just as soon look to the potential upsides.

For instance, with enough processing power and the right algorithms, I'm sure you could boost noise performance to rival or even beat the Df/D4(s) at high ISO. I bet you could also have a high speed mode by activating only some pixels or combining multiple pixels to one to rival the D4 in speed.

I'm under no illusion that Nikon would ever do something this nice for us as a firmware upgrade, even if its possible with current hardware, but it would make an interesting D800s. I basically never shoot multiple frames unless I'm bracketing and the size of the D800 files don't bother me, but I wouldn't kick a 12mp | 16mp | 24mp noise reduction mode out of bed.

I'm unfamiliar with the way Canon does it and the D4s is not available yet. Do you get any of these sorts of benefits?

aut0maticdan's gear list:aut0maticdan's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +7 more
aut0maticdan
Like?
meh... after thinking, kind of a dumb idea
In reply to aut0maticdan, 5 months ago

The low noise 12/16/24mp output would probably only be beneficial if you could combine photosites at the hardware level and likely would require a specially designed sensor.  Way out of my depth there.

Any processing after the fact is better off done in post.  Assuming you have a good scaling algorithm when printing or downsizing for the web, you should see just as much noise reduction as you would with in-camera downsizing.  You also have a plethora of software at your disposal and the full raw 36mp for any future software that may come out.  I may spend a little time comparing different noise reduction and scaling algorithms to hash this out.  I'd like me some usable ISO12800 out of my D800.

Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +7 more
jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,106
Like?
In reply to diverroy, 5 months ago

diverroy wrote:

Why? The canon sRaw is not true RAW as it throws away information to make the file smaller.

The D800 has many options that makes the file smaller keeping all the information intact.

What full sensor options for smaller sizes other than pre-baked 8-bit JPEGs, does the D800 have?

The point of reduced RAW format is to still be able to shoot full sensor, still retain most of the adjustability advantages of RAW, but not be burdened with such large file sizes in processing.

-- hide signature --
aut0maticdan
Like?
In reply to jfriend00, 5 months ago

He's likely talking about lossless compressed, lossy compressed and 12-bit.

dwight3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,803Gear list
Like?
In reply to coronawithlime, 5 months ago

coronawithlime wrote:

...Pure speculation on my part: My take as to why it doesn't seem to be on the mainstream wishlist for many D800 owners is that possibly the bulk of them purchased the camera precisely because of the large files. The idea of having a camera capable of producing large files, for some I would think, is contrary to the idea of ignoring a portion of the sensor output to produce a smaller RAW file...

I got my D800 to complement my D4. I got it because of the high MPx count.

However, if there were a way to combine pixels (probably at the hardware level for best noise handling) it would certainly broaden the utility of my D800. Right now it's a specialty body for use when I need high resolution (which is less than 25% of my photostream).

I don't want a RAW file that is produced by taking the normal RAW file and selecting appropriate pixels. That's a waste of image. I'd prefer a file that looks like a normal RAW file but takes all the available data into account.

Given the current Bayer pattern, I don't know just how that would be done. You would probably have to combine alternate rows somehow.

dwight3's gear list:dwight3's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S52c Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +9 more
inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,178Gear list
Like?

Arnaud M wrote:

If only Nikon could implement this functionality, the d800 really become an almost perfect camera.

To work! Nikon

-- hide signature --

You are aware that raw data needs to be demosaiced before reducing size?

Canon mraw promises file sizes of approximately 66% (Canon).

Nikon has 12 bit (non-lossless) compressed NEFs which gives approximately the same file sizes in relation to 14 bit lossless compressed in a far more sensible way than Canon mraw.

Jim Keye
Senior MemberPosts: 1,556
Like?
They do, it's called the D610

Or any other camera besides the D800.

Arnaud M wrote:

To work! Nikon

-- hide signature --
str8pipe
Regular MemberPosts: 273Gear list
Like?

Arnaud M wrote:

To work! Nikon

-- hide signature --

You're getting a Shelby Super Snake and you want to install a wooden block under the gas pedal?  

str8pipe's gear list:str8pipe's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS Canon PowerShot SD1300 IS Nikon D70 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 +25 more
noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 10,906
Like?
Small RAW almost same file size as 12-bit fullsize compressed RAW

jfriend00 wrote:

diverroy wrote:

What full sensor options for smaller sizes other than pre-baked 8-bit JPEGs, does the D800 have?

The point of reduced RAW format is to still be able to shoot full sensor, still retain most of the adjustability advantages of RAW, but not be burdened with such large file sizes in processing.

D4s manual:
- 14 bit uncompressed raw: 4928 × 3280 -> 33.6 MB
- 12 bit lossless compressed raw: 4928 × 3280 -> 15.4 MB
- 12 bit compressed raw: 4928 × 3280 -> 14.1 MB
- 12 bit small uncompressed: 2464×1640 -> 13.1 MB

So, for saving 1 MB, you loose 75% of the pixels (in terms of resolution) and most likely loose control over the demosaic process. Yeah, it's hard to understand why there has not been more vocal demand for this.

The only thing this presumably helps with is processing speed (but if you have a raw converter that offers a similar 2x2 binning, that point is moot as well).

olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 22,761
Like?

jfriend00 wrote:

diverroy wrote:

The D800 has several options, 12 or 14 bit, lossless compressed, compressed, or uncompressed. Read the manual.

12-bit compressed raw is still using the full sensor, just like 14-bits uncompressed.

calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,312
Like?
Why no 5:4 crop with Canon?

I shot wedding for two years with Canon cameras and most of my second photographers also shot with Canon cameras and we all shot RAW. There was no reason to use M-RAW for this purpose and at the time the CF cards were 8x the price they are now.

What seems to have escaped people's attention for the past 5 years is the value of the Nikon only 5:4 crop. I love this for group shots as I get a file that enlarges without cropping for an 8x10 print or a 16x20 print. I can do this as an action in Photoshop with my RAW group photos and create JPEGs for the lab.

What is odd is that although it was first provided by Nikon in 2008 with the D3 this crop has not been implemented by Canon nor is it even universal with Nikon's cameras. The D300 which was released after the D3 did not have this capability and not even the D700 provided this option. Go figure.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads