EM1 42.5 f/1.2 vs A7R 55 f/1.8

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,583
Like?
EM1 42.5 f/1.2 vs A7R 55 f/1.8
7 months ago

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
radsaq
Contributing MemberPosts: 702Gear list
Like?
Re: EM1 42.5 f/1.2 vs A7R 55 f/1.8
In reply to LTZ470, 7 months ago

KITTY!

Looks nice, although the bluish light in the E-M1 photo (presumably from an open window?) detracts from the scene somewhat. Also, the first A7R photo looks to be suffering from camera shake or motion blur, though the second looks fine.

radsaq's gear list:radsaq's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bobjob
New MemberPosts: 3Gear list
Like?

There is way to much out of focus. E.g. the body of the cat and the flower. With f/4 this would have looked much better(even with some noise).

bobjob's gear list:bobjob's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8
jhinkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,363Gear list
Like?
In reply to bobjob, 7 months ago

bobjob wrote:

There is way to much out of focus. E.g. the body of the cat and the flower. With f/4 this would have looked much better(even with some noise).

Nah - I like the way it looks - forces one to focus on the eyes and not get distracted by other stuff.

DOF or lack thereof is personal taste though . . .

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +19 more
berni29
Senior MemberPosts: 1,441Gear list
Like?
In reply to jhinkey, 7 months ago

Hi

I like all 3 of them, but the first most. I guess interms of DOF they are similar. Well done on your cat positioning while changing cameras. A challenge in itself I'm sure.

-- hide signature --

Berni29
EM-5, GM1 + Pana 12-32mm, 35-100mm f2.8, 20mm, 14-45mm Oly 45mm, 50mm F2 macro, (prev GH1, E30, E510, E1, E300, LX3)

berni29's gear list:berni29's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
bigley Ling
Senior MemberPosts: 1,250Gear list
Like?

in terms of Bokeh, I have to give it to the A7r and the 55mm f1.8 ,but only just. In terms of more infocus the E-M1 with the 42.5 has the advantage. Not only can it make use of low light f1.2, but it can DOF around 2.5. Simply brilliant.

There really is no better or worst. I do think that if the cat was moving about, the E-M1 with 42.5 will have better opportunity to capture the cat in focus thanks to the EM1's  Auto Focus engine.

Alexsfo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,419
Like?
In reply to bigley Ling, 7 months ago

#2 is not as sharp as the other two. Results are similar, AWB is a little better on Olympus.

Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,474
Like?

With all due respect, I could never understand why people would pay so much money in order to ruin a potentially good photography subject.

I can ruin a good subject for 1% of the price paid for these lenses so why bother? I must be missing something...

Moti

-- hide signature --
Ming-KM
Regular MemberPosts: 217Gear list
Like?
In reply to Moti, 7 months ago

Maybe you are!

Ming-KM's gear list:Ming-KM's gear list
Olympus E-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
smithling
Regular MemberPosts: 300Gear list
Like?

Moti wrote:

With all due respect, I could never understand why people would pay so much money in order to ruin a potentially good photography subject.

I can ruin a good subject for 1% of the price paid for these lenses so why bother? I must be missing something...

Moti

-- hide signature --

The way I look at it, we should be happy that people to continue to buy these products, so camera makers can continue to develop photographic equipment. As long as they are making purchases, I don't care how bad their photography is.

Now, there is an counter argument to be made; that such purchases only support the development of products that make pictures of cats with unnecessarily shallow depth of field...

LTZ470
Like?

Moti wrote:

Moti

-- hide signature --

You get paid for it Moti...I don't...so i get to play while you work...not fair is it?

My daughter loves these shots and they will be here for her after I am long gone, knowing her dad took the shots is something she'll remember all her days...I know I have many photos that my dad took in my early years and while not Ansel Adams shots, they are treasures to me...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

LingoDingo
Regular MemberPosts: 277
Like?

...You should post another set of photos from both cameras, but don't label which camera was used to shoot which shot (crop the shots to the same resolution), as personal biases seem to be clouding perceptions of what these two lenses can produce. Then reveal the which lens shot what a few days later.

Myself, I think both lenses produce great shots, and I expect it will be very tough to tell one lens from the other.

arbuz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,260Gear list
Like?

The subject distance from lens is not the same, therefore this comparison does not have any value for bokeh comparison.

arbuz's gear list:arbuz's gear list
Samsung EX2F Pentax *ist DS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 +16 more
LingoDingo
Regular MemberPosts: 277
Like?
In reply to arbuz, 7 months ago

Exact subject distance should not matter as long as the framing is the same. We all take photos by framing our subjects, not by the exact distance we are from our subjects.

Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,474
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

Moti wrote:

Moti

-- hide signature --

Please don't take it personally, it is part of my usual sarcasm.

You get paid for it Moti...I don't...so i get to play while you work...not fair is it?

Why not fair? I do play too, all the time even during work and and I think it is important and fun. It is just that sometime I expect to see something different from such an expensive piece of gear.

My daughter loves these shots and they will be here for her after I am long gone, knowing her dad took the shots is something she'll remember all her days...I know I have many photos that my dad took in my early years and while not Ansel Adams shots, they are treasures to me...

I would never argue with that but I can assure you one thing. Your daughter will always love and cherish and treasure your photos and remember all her days that YOU took these photos and not that you were using a 1,600$ piece of gear.

Cheers
Moti

-- hide signature --
LTZ470
Like?
In reply to arbuz, 7 months ago

arbuz wrote:

The subject distance from lens is not the same, therefore this comparison does not have any value for bokeh comparison.

Yes it was basically the same, had to get a little closer with the 55mm FE due to focal length...but I cropped all the photos slightly...

For all practical purposes this is reality, not a studio or a setup, she just happened to be hiding there and my daughter ask me to take some photos of her, she is really camera shy and doesn't like the sound of the shutter on the A7r especially...hence you can see she was more relaxed with the EM1 shot...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

LTZ470
Like?

Moti wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Moti wrote:

Moti

-- hide signature --

Please don't take it personally, it is part of my usual sarcasm.

From you never, you're the Poppa Moti...

Why not fair? I do play too, all the time even during work and and I think it is important and fun. It is just that sometime I expect to see something different from such an expensive piece of gear.

I would never argue with that but I can assure you one thing. Your daughter will always love and cherish and treasure your photos and remember all her days that YOU took these photos and not that you were using a 1,600$ piece of gear.

My RX1 was $2800 USD...EM1 + 42.5 f/1.2 = $2900 USD...A7r + FE 55mm = $3300 USD...

So all in the ball park...

Cheers
Moti

-- hide signature --

It's going to get cheaper Moti, for sure, I can only imagine what you could do with this lens...really enjoyed your website...

Yes, I sold off some Sony gear to pay for it, thats what is so great about camera gear is it holds it's value so well...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Paco 316
Senior MemberPosts: 1,062Gear list
Like?

Colors are more natural and vivid on the E-M1. There is a yellow tone on the Sony pics that I don't care for. Of course if you shoot raw, non of that matters, but it is great to get it right SOOC.

As far as DoF, they are close enough.

Paco 316's gear list:Paco 316's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +10 more
LTZ470
Like?
In reply to Paco 316, 7 months ago

Paco 316 wrote:

Colors are more natural and vivid on the E-M1. There is a yellow tone on the Sony pics that I don't care for. Of course if you shoot raw, non of that matters, but it is great to get it right SOOC.

As far as DoF, they are close enough.

Yep, but the colors are more vivid on the A7r due to color depth are they not? And yes I hate the yellow cast that Sony is famous for, at least with Oly you can turn it off...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,809Gear list
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

My RX1 was $2800 USD...EM1 + 42.5 f/1.2 = $2900 USD...A7r + FE 55mm = $3300 USD...

So all in the ball park...

except you can get A7 (non R) + FE55/1.8ZA for much less

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads