System Switch - Have you done it?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
BellaBull8
Contributing MemberPosts: 839Gear list
Like?
System Switch - Have you done it?
5 months ago

I'm in a quandary here, trying to decide to work on a dual system or just switch altogether.

Currently I have a Canon setup, using a 7D plus the 17-55 2.8 lens primarily, plus the 85mm 1.8. Have the 70-200 f4 L IS but that's going on the auction block as I rarely use it now anyway.

Here's my dilemma:

I am seriously considering switching to a setup with the xe-2 and xt-1 plus a couple primes and the premium zooms about to come out. The promise of a significantly lighter setup coupled with the IQ people are raving about from Fuji is making me drool.

Travel photography is my first love, and not being weighed down with 8 tons of gear when shooting crop sensor anyway would be LOVELY. And saving space in my carry-on? Oh yes.

No sports, birds, or kids in my shooting. Primarily city/landscape, food, detail, and portraiture.

Have any of you made a similar switch? I also do work with speedlights and Alien Bees strobes - anyone use those off camera with the X series?

Eager to hear back - and thanks ahead!

-- hide signature --

Don't assume. It makes an a** out of you and me.
www.molimogallery.com
www.facebook.com/molimophoto

BellaBull8's gear list:BellaBull8's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Perry Kivolowitz
Regular MemberPosts: 267Gear list
Like?
Re: System Switch - Have you done it?
In reply to BellaBull8, 5 months ago

A big difference will be in your use of strobes. The Fuji's you mentioned are limited to a sync of 180th of a second. There will be no opportunity for high speed sync.

Perry Kivolowitz's gear list:Perry Kivolowitz's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sinistral
Junior MemberPosts: 27Gear list
Like?

I am making the same switch right now. Going from 7D and four lenses to X-T1 and some sweet primes. I'm the same as you, really looking to lighten the load and have a camera that begs to be held and shot with. I have no issues with my 7D at all - great camera, dependable in every way. The only time I've ever missed a shot has been my own fault.  But, I just never pick it up.  I'm always looking for something else to use. I am very itchy for my new Fuji stuff to arrive at the shop.

I'm currently selling my stuff on eBay and have apparently run into my second scammer in a row trying to get me to complete the transaction offline: "Just email me your Paypal info and I'll send you payment today!" "Buddy, just click the pay now link and you'll pay immediately through Paypal, I'm not emailing you anything." *crickets* Oh well. I've since implemented many of eBay's buyer limitations, so we'll see how it goes from here.

-- hide signature --

In case of photography, take glass.

Segaman
Regular MemberPosts: 225Gear list
Like?

I have tested my Canon flash on the EX2 and the camera comes real hot, even if I did not shoot any pics.
Gonna have to sell ALL your stuff!
If I were you, iL,, keep the lenses, and get a traveling camera.
The 7D is old, now, sell it while its worth something, cause the 7D2 is coming real soon!

I really wanted to take the mirroless route, but DSLR are a different animals, the real deal to me.Travel and all around I get the Fuji, wish I pick a optical and Evf camera!

Try the Fuji stuff first, get it from a big seller, so that way you have 30 days to return it if you are not happy!

good luck! The EX2 is real cool, at lower ISO such as 3200 and less.
The kit lens 18-55 is real real real cool!
I love it!

I keep my 6D for pro shoots, and faster action!

Segaman's gear list:Segaman's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,334Gear list
Like?

BellaBull8 wrote:

I'm in a quandary here, trying to decide to work on a dual system or just switch altogether.

Currently I have a Canon setup, using a 7D plus the 17-55 2.8 lens primarily, plus the 85mm 1.8. Have the 70-200 f4 L IS but that's going on the auction block as I rarely use it now anyway.

Here's my dilemma:

I am seriously considering switching to a setup with the xe-2 and xt-1 plus a couple primes and the premium zooms about to come out. The promise of a significantly lighter setup coupled with the IQ people are raving about from Fuji is making me drool.

Travel photography is my first love, and not being weighed down with 8 tons of gear when shooting crop sensor anyway would be LOVELY. And saving space in my carry-on? Oh yes.

No sports, birds, or kids in my shooting. Primarily city/landscape, food, detail, and portraiture.

Have any of you made a similar switch? I also do work with speedlights and Alien Bees strobes - anyone use those off camera with the X series?

-- hide signature --

www.molimogallery.com

In addition to the thin choices in Fuji TTL flash you still have a APS-C system. Yes the lenses are smaller than a DSLR but Micro Four Thirds is even smaller for the most part.

I also don't understand why you need two different Fuji X bodies. If your going to the trouble of getting the XT-1 might as well get two. That or consider the XT-1 with X100s or XE-2 & X100s as a idea.

Fuji also has a lens road map and will have a 16-55 2.8 or a 24-80 mm 2.8 equivalent this year.

I also highly advise not selling your Canon gear until you are sure about Fuji X or switching to any system. Keep in mind that a smaller camera system can mean smaller buttons/controls to match the body. It can be a good thing or maybe not.

Not sure if your Alien Bees have wireless ability (I use Elinchrom) but the XT-1 does have a built in PC socket and like wise for Micro Four Thirds the Panasonic GH-3 which I used extensively as well as Fuji X and the GH-3 is a nice camera.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
BellaBull8
Like?
In reply to Segaman, 5 months ago

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far.

I don't do a ton of work with my Alien Bees, but I'm reluctant to give them up. I'd imagine triggers would work fine with the X series but am I missing a key factor?

I can live with the 180th sync speed, and I no longer do event work so having a flash on camera is almost irrelevant now.

I'm of the mind that I would keep the 85 1.8 only because if I do get another DSLR, I'd prefer to wait until I can afford a full frame that would largely be reserved for studio/non-travel work. For local travel I don't mind the extra weight/size but I'm headed to Italy for 6 weeks in September and my back already hurts remembering how heavy my kit was last time I was there - and I had only my 40D setup with 3 lenses then.

IQ is my first priority, and I was considering going to the 70D for my DSLR, mainly b/c of the articulated screen, but I'm not sure it's worth it in regards to IQ vs the 7D, and Fuji seems to best both of them significantly.

Not a video shooter, so video features are a bonus but not a deal maker/breaker.

-- hide signature --

www.molimogallery.com

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
BellaBull8
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, 5 months ago

ryan2007 wrote:

BellaBull8 wrote:

Here's my dilemma:

-- hide signature --

www.molimogallery.com

In addition to the thin choices in Fuji TTL flash you still have a APS-C system. Yes the lenses are smaller than a DSLR but Micro Four Thirds is even smaller for the most part.

If working with off-camera flash in manual mode, I don't see any reason to end up restricted to Fuji brand flashes. Just not willing to go to a smaller sensor. Size matters but IQ and DOF options still top it.

I also don't understand why you need two different Fuji X bodies. If your going to the trouble of getting the XT-1 might as well get two. That or consider the XT-1 with X100s or XE-2 & X100s as a idea.

I like to have a backup body when traveling outside the U.S., in case something breaks or is stolen (I keep kit separated so that I don't lose everything in that case) and 2 xt's is outside my budget but I want an interchangeable lens body.

Fuji also has a lens road map and will have a 16-55 2.8 or a 24-80 mm 2.8 equivalent this year.

I know! I can't wait for the 16-55 2.8!

I also highly advise not selling your Canon gear until you are sure about Fuji X or switching to any system. Keep in mind that a smaller camera system can mean smaller buttons/controls to match the body. It can be a good thing or maybe not.

I plan to rent the Fuji cameras and try them out to see what I think first. I imagine the form factor change will take getting used to since I've always had an SLR or DSLR.

Not sure if your Alien Bees have wireless ability (I use Elinchrom) but the XT-1 does have a built in PC socket and like wise for Micro Four Thirds the Panasonic GH-3 which I used extensively as well as Fuji X and the GH-3 is a nice camera.

No built in, but using the AB wireless triggers, which have always worked great for me.

-- hide signature --

www.molimogallery.com

Digital Shutterbug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,673Gear list
Like?

BellaBull8 wrote:

Here's my dilemma:

-- hide signature --

www.molimogallery.com

I too have made the switch from Canon. I got the X-T1 a week ago today. Over the past 3 weeks I have sold my 5D3, 70D and many lenses and flashes. A lot of L lenses in that lot. All I have left is an SL1, a 580EX-II and a few lenses. I'm waiting on a friend to let me know if he wants any/all of this stuff before posting on Ebay. My only hesitation in making the switch has been the lack of long lenses in the Fuji lineup, and the poor selection of TTL flashes available. I believe Fuji will deal with these issues in time.

So far as the camera, I am delighted with the ease of use and image quality. I love going back to an old school design camera with knobs/dials for exposure settings. It's been many years since I shot with such a camera. But, I'm finding it to be like riding a bicycle. Some things are just natural, no matter how long you go between use.

Based on your current lenses, and your favorite type of shooting, I think you could make the transition to the X-T1 quite easily. I have no experience with the X-E2 (never even seen one), so I can make no comment on that one.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Dorkington
Regular MemberPosts: 355Gear list
Like?

Wow, this is like deja vu...

Former 7D owner here. My primary photography interests are travel, landscapes, nature, food, and model photography.

Long story short, I ended up switching after owning an X100 and loving it, and realizing I resented my DSLR when doing the things I enjoyed shooting. When Fuji announced the X-Pro1, I jumped on it... the 7D started collecting dust. The 7D is a wonderful camera in all but two areas, weight and image quality (sorry Canon fans, I just didn't like the 7D's sensor). It's handling and focusing speed, though, were out of this world.

Fast forward two years, I have a X-E2, X-Pro1, four primes and two zooms. I take different lenses with me on different trips, and I couldn't be happier. I do sometimes miss the fast focusing speed, but the X-E2 is definitely a step above the X-Pro1 in that regard, and the X-T1, I imagine is better.

I continued shooting model photography without issue. I'm an Alien Bees user myself. I have two AB800s and an ABR800, along with their standard triggering system. Haven't had an issue with using them. In fact, just did a shoot on Sunday with no problems.

All in all, I'm enjoying travel and random adventure photography much more now. When I had the 7D, I'd often leave it at home and not shoot at all. When I got the X100, the 7D started collecting dust, unless I needed a certain focal length. When I got the X-Pro1, the 7D was sold off, but missed from time to time. When I got the X-E2, the 7D was missed very very rarely. I imagine the X-T1 (or even better, the future X-T2, hah) will make me not even look backwards.

Image quality on the X-E2 has been a significant improvement over the 7D. But I will say there's some caveats. Adobe's RAW processing is good for noise and dynamic range control, but falls short in fine details. I use Adobe the whole way through for street and model photography. For landscapes, I use Iridient (Mac Only), to develop a TIFF, which I then push through Adobe's applications. Iridient has a better demosaicing system for X-Trans files than Adobe does, I find, especially for landscapes. The detail is very impressive from this sensor and these lenses when using the right processing techniques. I've heard good things about Photo Ninja and Capture One for better detail retention than Adobe's programs.

Dorkington's gear list:Dorkington's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
BellaBull8
Like?
In reply to Dorkington, 5 months ago

Dorkington wrote:

Wow, this is like deja vu...

Former 7D owner here. My primary photography interests are travel, landscapes, nature, food, and model photography.

Deja vu indeed!

Long story short, I ended up switching after owning an X100 and loving it, and realizing I resented my DSLR when doing the things I enjoyed shooting. When Fuji announced the X-Pro1, I jumped on it... the 7D started collecting dust. The 7D is a wonderful camera in all but two areas, weight and image quality (sorry Canon fans, I just didn't like the 7D's sensor). It's handling and focusing speed, though, were out of this world.

I do feel I've hit the top level IQ I can get from Canon, excluding models way outside my budget range.

Fast forward two years, I have a X-E2, X-Pro1, four primes and two zooms. I take different lenses with me on different trips, and I couldn't be happier. I do sometimes miss the fast focusing speed, but the X-E2 is definitely a step above the X-Pro1 in that regard, and the X-T1, I imagine is better.

Despite the lack of speed, do you find the X-E2 and [so far] the X-T1 accurate? I've always felt the accuracy of the Canon XXD models lacking.

I continued shooting model photography without issue. I'm an Alien Bees user myself. I have two AB800s and an ABR800, along with their standard triggering system. Haven't had an issue with using them. In fact, just did a shoot on Sunday with no problems.

Good to know!

All in all, I'm enjoying travel and random adventure photography much more now. When I had the 7D, I'd often leave it at home and not shoot at all. When I got the X100, the 7D started collecting dust, unless I needed a certain focal length. When I got the X-Pro1, the 7D was sold off, but missed from time to time. When I got the X-E2, the 7D was missed very very rarely. I imagine the X-T1 (or even better, the future X-T2, hah) will make me not even look backwards.

I love the durability of the 7D but feel so conspicuous with it - especially when out and about solo.

Image quality on the X-E2 has been a significant improvement over the 7D. But I will say there's some caveats. Adobe's RAW processing is good for noise and dynamic range control, but falls short in fine details. I use Adobe the whole way through for street and model photography. For landscapes, I use Iridient (Mac Only), to develop a TIFF, which I then push through Adobe's applications. Iridient has a better demosaicing system for X-Trans files than Adobe does, I find, especially for landscapes. The detail is very impressive from this sensor and these lenses when using the right processing techniques. I've heard good things about Photo Ninja and Capture One for better detail retention than Adobe's programs.

Thanks for these suggestions - I just switched to Mac anyhow, and I expect Adobe will catch up in time in terms of processing the X-trans sensor files.

-- hide signature --

www.molimogallery.com

gerard boulanger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,262Gear list
Like?
Yes, most of us here did the switch..!

Welcome to the club!

gerard boulanger's gear list:gerard boulanger's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,506
Like?

The most important thing is to get the right gear for the job or purpose. A big DSLR and lenses just doesn't fit the bill for travel photography for most people. Since you're already on APSC, there's no FF advantage. Both my X100 and XP1 work fine with my strobes. I just use a hotshoe mount radio trigger. I've heard that some don't work as well with certain cameras, but my Pocket Wizards do just fine. Fuji IQ and glass is top notch. It's hard to go wrong with it.

Dorkington
Regular MemberPosts: 355Gear list
Like?

Focus accuracy is top notch. CDAF systems in general are good with focus accuracy. I believe the Fuji system uses it's PDAF sensors to get the initial focus range, and CDAF to fine tune.

Dorkington's gear list:Dorkington's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,672Gear list
Like?

I bought an X-E2 w/kit zoom and 23mm f1.4 prime.  I recently sold my Canon 5DII and lenses and have zero regrets.  Outer AF points extend farther out in the frame, and are much more accurate than the not so great AF in the Canon.  My 16x20 inch prints look better than they ever did!  

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Alessandro Catuogno
Regular MemberPosts: 440Gear list
Like?

Partially yes.

Now it's time to learn on the new system.

I have always my Canon system, because i work much not near, but in the water, on a boat for sailing regattas, and some time in the water with housing during a regatta.

All my cameras have rust on the screw,many scratchs, but it's normal for this type of photography.

I  work in events too, and here is my choice for a light system.

Not talking about flash now, because some difference there are, canon and nikon have a better system.

But, i always shot in M mode, with the flashes too, so i use my canons and youngno on fuji.

In  two months i bought X-pro 1, xE-2, 18/55, 35mm and yesterday the great 55/200.

Now after 37 years of photography, i'm in the learning curve again.and this is right.

Not for exposition, colors and ettc.But because is a new system to learn.Evf, is new for me.

I hope in the future to have an X-t1, but for now i'm learning to capture the best of this sistem.

I think you can have a great succes with fuji.

And can keep some of your old gear for situations when you really need it.

Sorry for my English.

Alessandro--
Alessandro Catuogno

Alessandro Catuogno's gear list:Alessandro Catuogno's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +11 more
nspur
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?

What I did was to stick with the DSLR and the new camera (X-E1 for me) and then when entirely confident with the new one, sell the DSLR and buy another identical body and some more glass. If shooting two bodies I would strongly recommend they be identical especially if you are likely to be under pressure on a job. I would think X-E2 and X-T1 together would be a bad idea.

-- hide signature --

Nick Spurrier

nspur's gear list:nspur's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Pentax K-30 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha 7
Tim C.
Senior MemberPosts: 1,292Gear list
Like?
Re: I've decided to stick with the dual system

BellaBull8 wrote:

Here's my dilemma:

-- hide signature --

www.molimogallery.com

Hi Bella,

I was reviewing the photos I've taken the past few years and the majority of them were taken with my Nikon D700/D3s/D800 with various lenses.  The D3s is my speed camera for fast action photography and wedding photojournalism whenever I am second shooting for wedding photographer friends.  It's the camera that I can immediately grab and adjust the settings quickly to capture a scene.

The D800 acts as my "film" camera in the respect that I must slow down and think out my intentions due to its large RAW files.  I never want to repeatedly mash the shutter button with the D800 because the hard drive storage space can quickly fill up.  I use D800 for portraiture and fine art such as multiple exposure photography.

The Fuji X cameras go to more places with me than my Nikon equipment, mainly due to their compact size and lighter weight.  Like you, they have become my choice of gear when I am traveling.  The X100s or X-T1 w/two or three lenses can fit in the center console inside my vehicle--I can't do that with any of my Nikon dSLR.

Either system has its pros and cons for me.  As a photographer, I have to learned to deal with the limitations of each camera by switching over to the appropriate tool I need to carry on with my photography.

-- hide signature --

Tim
www.500px.com/timjchong

Tim C.'s gear list:Tim C.'s gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D3S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-M1 +13 more
cdp8
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?

BellaBull8 wrote:

Three flash comments: 1) the Canon OC-E3 flash cord is compatible with Fujifilm flashes; 2) A Fujifilm exec stated in an interview recently that they have heard their users' calls for better flash support and it is coming (though who knows when); and 3) there is a wonderful forum dedicated to using flashes with the X System at fujix-forum.com (slaves, radio triggers and all that other stuff I know nothing about).

If travel photography is indeed your first love, what the heck are you waiting for? Make the switch. Old gear bag was Nikon D200/D7000, 17-55mm f/2.8, 16-85 VR, 35mm f/1.8, 70-300mm, and 11-16mm f/2.8 Tokina. It was a pita to travel with.

I sold it all on eBay and replaced it with an X-E2, 14mm f/ 2.8, 18-55mm f/2.8-4, 23mm f/1.4 and the 55-200mm f/3.5-4.8. All that fits in a Think Tank Retrospective 5. When the 56mm f/1.2 hits my local store, it will be in my bag too.

I took a two week trip in December to Vienna, Prague and a cruise down the Danube from Nuremburg back to Vienna. It was a joy to travel with that kit. I used to bring along a good quality P&S (like a Canon S90 or Sony RX 100) for times I didn't want to lug the DSLR around. This time the RX100 never left its case because the XE-2 was always with me. To further downsize, I added an new ipad mini retina instead of a laptop and with the Fujiflm wifi app I was able to share pics with friends and family along the way.

The samples I've seen from the new 56mm f/1.2 show that it will be a fantastic portrait lens.

I love that the user controls are just like the film cameras I learned on years ago. I also love that I get the sensor size of my former DX Nikons in a much smaller, lighter, less conspicuous package.

ZTJ
ZTJ
Regular MemberPosts: 101Gear list
Like?

I've become something of an expert at system switching, just look at my past gear list.

Currently, Fuji is making it very easy to switch with all the various deals.

The main thing is to do your best to maximize your returns if you sell your old gear. Don't take a shortcut here. Do the legwork yourself and get the most money you can and you'll feel better about the whole process in the end. And if you can't make the new system work, well, it won't be so hard to go back if you didn't lose that much to begin with.

ZTJ's gear list:ZTJ's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
dotjon
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?

I've been doing some ultra-heavy internet scourging for every possible camera and lens review and peeked pixels more than I care to confess in order to find out whether it's possible to switch from Canon FF to a smaller, modern camera system. I'm most drawn to XT-1 from all the alternatives. I guess I can share my findings, consider this a summary of all interwebs if you will, a damn essay this turned out but writing also helps to arrange my own thoughts for myself

Fuji X-Trans 16mp sensor competes with the current FF sensors in terms of objective IQ, leaving m43 and other APS-C sensors in dust. It handily beats my old FF in noise performance. Noise is surprisingly well controlled, and it resolves detail wonderfully, only losing out in detail to the megapixel monsters a7r and D800(e). Colours are simply nice. The Fuji sensor array handles reds better than conventional Bayer arrays (still clean when Bayers exhibit blotches in saturated reds), but struggles with greens. To my eyes this works better than others for urban and people photography, resulting in very pleasant tones. But if I'd shoot primarily forest landscapes, I'd choose a7r/D800 both for resolution and green reproduction. There's something strangely mushy in the way Fuji renders foliage, and I'm not sure if it's a sensor feature or raw decoder issue. I suspect this comes down to the difference in arrangement and amount of green and red sensels between X-trans and Bayer families.

Fuji has excellent dynamic range, there are more shades in the dark end than in Canon sensors, and on par with Nikon and Sony, ie class leading performance in this regard. I find dynamic range crucially important, as you can't lift shadows which aren't even recorded in the first place. As a Canon shooter, I find this depressing but a fact is a fact and this is easily visible in photos. 5Dm3 is better than the other Eoses, but still behind current competitors, including Fuji.

X-series lenses in general seem to be really, really good. The selection is still small, but adequate unlike Sony's current offering. 14/2.8, 23/1.4 and 56/1.2 are easily optically equal or better than L-series primes, which is a major selling point for me. Neglible or downright non-existent distortion, sharpness across the frame and wonderful bokeh describe these lenses, real shame they aren't weatherproof. However, I'm used to rubberbands and plastic bags. Aperture ring on the lens is the logical place for me. The lenses are also quite light and apparently well built, however they are certainly not budget priced either- still cheaper than comparable L-glass, though.

I've always shot raw, but the Fuji OOC jpgs just look really good, and I could see myself opting to shoot raw+jpg with the X-T1. As a curious side note, the in-camera filter effects (film emulations) actually look usable. The possibility to shoot b&w jpg+raw is like having your cake and eating it too

Some things I've noted when browsing photos online- there's absolutely zero correlation with a good photograph and camera or lens make. This is nothing new and quite obvious indeed, photographer is the one who takes a photo, not the gear, but perhaps more surprising is that there is actually very little correlation with camera or lens make and technical image quality. Even entry-level DSLRs with wallet-friendly optics can produce bitingly sharp, clean and contrasty images with wonderful colours when shot and exposed correctly, and scaled down to web size. I don't see this changing until 4K penetrates all end-user devices, which is at least 4-5 years away, if it even happens at all. This is just to say that if your photos are mostly consumed on current generation of digital displays via the web (<2mpx end products), sensor or lens resolution probably shouldn't be primary concerns when selecting a camera.

As a personal note, I enjoyed many photos by Fuji shooters. Looks like the cameras attract creative, content-oriented photographers.

XT-1 body and current firmware has it's quirks for sure, but this is something shared by every camera ever made and these tend to become non-issues after use. I also think that the design has way more merits than issues, but this goes deep into subjective territory and I haven't even held the camera in my hand.

dotjon's gear list:dotjon's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads