E-M10 / weatherproofing

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
paul2009
Contributing MemberPosts: 882Gear list
Like?
E-M10 / weatherproofing
8 months ago

I live in a rainy part of the UK. I'm not intending to be shooting into the rain so much but I might well want to use my camera when it's raining. Does this mean I should go for a weatherproofed model? What sort of conditions are weatherproofing for?

Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PDavis
Regular MemberPosts: 456Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M10 / weatherproofing
In reply to paul2009, 8 months ago

That's precisely the use case for weather seals on the EM5/EM1.  They're designed (with appropriate lenses) to withstand rain.  The EM10 would not be the best choice in these conditions.  Most cameras nowadays can handle a little mist or brief light rain, but it's a risk.

FWIW - I find the EM5 to be totally adequate for my most stringent needs.  I bought it as a backup for the EM1 (which was my first m43 body) but now I'm selling the EM1 since for me it's overkill.  I am, however, keeping the 12-40 lens...that's well worth it.  Highly recommended especially in your situation.

PDavis's gear list:PDavis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
paul2009
Like?
In reply to PDavis, 8 months ago

Thanks for that. Very useful. The argument agains me getting an EM5 right now is that it will presumably be updated later this year (but when?!). Something in me isn't comfortable with getting a 2 or 3 year old camera model but I don't know why. I suppose I could get the EM5 and sell it when the new model comes out - but that probably doesn't make the best economic sense!

Klarno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,566Gear list
Like?

Weatherproofing will only fully do it's job if you also have weatherproofed lenses. On MFT, so far these only include the Oly 12-50, 12-40, 60mm macro, and the panasonic 12-35 and 30-100. Additionally the four thirds mount HG and SHG lenses are weather sealed, but only with the MMF-3 adapter.

-- hide signature --
 Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 A3000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,644
Like?

Picture, words, etc.

E-M5+12-50

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

Landscapephoto99
Senior MemberPosts: 2,518
Like?

Think of it as the price for what you get.  When the E-M5 II comes out later this year it will be more expensive, likely ~$1000.  For $799 now, the E-M5 is a steal.

paul2009 wrote:

Thanks for that. Very useful. The argument agains me getting an EM5 right now is that it will presumably be updated later this year (but when?!). Something in me isn't comfortable with getting a 2 or 3 year old camera model but I don't know why. I suppose I could get the EM5 and sell it when the new model comes out - but that probably doesn't make the best economic sense!

Pezdad
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?

How much rain are you willing to stand in? I just used my E-M10 in a pretty heavy drizzle (with a non-waterproof zoom lens) and had no issues - but when it started pouring down hard I sought cover for both myself and my camera. Truth is, I have never had a "weather sealed" camera in my life (other than a underwater dive camera) and have never had one ruined by rain - I get tired of standing in the pouring rain before the camera is damaged. Your mileage may vary - if your cameras regularly get ruined in the rain, look into weather sealing. If your Mom taught you to get out of a rainstorm (or cover yourself and camera with a rain slicker - a plastic bag works for the camera) then the E-M10 (and all other modern cameras) will work fine. They are not made of sugar - just wipe off the water when you get under shelter. Frankly, if you need to ask then you probably don't need it - if your last 3 cameras were ruined by rain I doubt you would ask the question. Keep in mind that weather sealing not only costs more, but results in mushy-feeling buttons due to the little rubber gaskets...

paul2009
Like?
In reply to Pezdad, 8 months ago

Pezdad wrote:

How much rain are you willing to stand in? I just used my E-M10 in a pretty heavy drizzle (with a non-waterproof zoom lens) and had no issues - but when it started pouring down hard I sought cover for both myself and my camera. Truth is, I have never had a "weather sealed" camera in my life (other than a underwater dive camera) and have never had one ruined by rain - I get tired of standing in the pouring rain before the camera is damaged. Your mileage may vary - if your cameras regularly get ruined in the rain, look into weather sealing. If your Mom taught you to get out of a rainstorm (or cover yourself and camera with a rain slicker - a plastic bag works for the camera) then the E-M10 (and all other modern cameras) will work fine. They are not made of sugar - just wipe off the water when you get under shelter. Frankly, if you need to ask then you probably don't need it - if your last 3 cameras were ruined by rain I doubt you would ask the question. Keep in mind that weather sealing not only costs more, but results in mushy-feeling buttons due to the little rubber gaskets...

OK, that does make sense. I wouldn't consider myself an all-weather photographer, that's for sure. I guess it's also down then to which camera has the superior IQ, EM5 or EM10. How much difference does the 3 vs 5 axis stabilisation mean anything significant?

Cheezr
Contributing MemberPosts: 590
Like?

I owned an EM5 and now EM10 and AFAIK there is no obvious difference in the stabilization.

If there is then it is very subtle.

There is really very little different btwn the 2 cameras, IMO. Get the one with the best price.

-- hide signature --

Life is uncertain, eat dessert first.

Steven Wandy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,889Gear list
Like?

paul2009 wrote:

OK, that does make sense. I wouldn't consider myself an all-weather photographer, that's for sure. I guess it's also down then to which camera has the superior IQ, EM5 or EM10. How much difference does the 3 vs 5 axis stabilisation mean anything significant?

Like Paul said - I don't plan on being out in the pouring rain and a slight mist/drizzle won't damage most modern cameras (within reason).

As far as the 3/5 axis - I had the EP5 and EM5 (5 axis) and now the EM10 (3 axis) and the two missing axises are horizontal and vertical shift. Not really important for stills - more so for video. And the camera does do digital stabilization for video to make up for the two "missing" axises.

I took this the first weekend I had the camera at my grandson's second birthday. Now granted it was with the 14-42IIR lens (not exactly a long lens) but was very impressed with the way the video came out.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203209509137444

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
Rmark
Regular MemberPosts: 474Gear list
Like?

While a few drops of rain may not ruin a camera or lens, they are generally expensive gadgets .

You may want to be careful relying on anecdotes about never having a problem with a non sealed camera and  little rain, and instead ask yourself " do you feel lucky?"

Rmark's gear list:Rmark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
paul2009
Like?
In reply to Rmark, 8 months ago

Rmark wrote:

While a few drops of rain may not ruin a camera or lens, they are generally expensive gadgets .

You may want to be careful relying on anecdotes about never having a problem with a non sealed camera and little rain, and instead ask yourself " do you feel lucky?"

And am I a punk? The answer to both those questions is probably a no.

So you might say - it's down to the E-M1 and E-M5, yet the E-M1is too expensive and prone to shutter-shock and the E-M5 has now to be considered old tech.

So it may be the long haul wait for the E-M5 to be updated. Or go Panasonic....

PDavis
Regular MemberPosts: 456Gear list
Like?

The EM5 may be a couple of years old now but in terms of ability to produce images it's still very competitive with any other m43 body.  IBIS, sensor quality, AF performance and even the EVF are equal or better than the newer bodies.  The fact that it sports a tough build with weather sealing is the stand-out quality.  In that vein, the only competitor is the EM1 which, looking at used prices, is still roughly 2x more expensive and will not provide better RAW images (without getting really nit picky about the LPF which is debatable).  I own both right now and am selling the EM1 just based on that.  That being said, it's not an easy decision because the EM1 is more ergonomically pleasing.  If I were out shooting more I could totally justify the extra expense over the EM5.  Now, I don't enjoy shooting in the rain but I take my camera camping and hiking which exposes me to the elements.  I just feel better about having a camera setup designed to withstand a good unforeseen soaking.

So you might say - it's down to the E-M1 and E-M5, yet the E-M1is too expensive and prone to shutter-shock and the E-M5 has now to be considered old tech.

So it may be the long haul wait for the E-M5 to be updated. Or go Panasonic....

PDavis's gear list:PDavis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Rmark
Regular MemberPosts: 474Gear list
Like?
In reply to PDavis, 8 months ago

Agree 100%. I would have been happy with the M5 as a way of trying out the mFT system, I almost bought a used one. But with a good deal on a refurbished M1, and a whole lot of Olympus FT lenses I already own, the extra money seemed worth it .  Now six months from now, when I finally figure out all the custom settings and hidden features of the M1 I think I'll really be glad I did...... 

Rmark's gear list:Rmark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads