ND Filter issues on Nikon D800 and 24-70 - please help. check images.

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
asaad saleh
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
ND Filter issues on Nikon D800 and 24-70 - please help. check images.
9 months ago

Hi please take a look at this question no one even read it i don't know if i post it wrong or something:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53230171

i really need your help

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ianbramham
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,277Gear list
Like?
Re: ND Filter issues on Nikon D800 and 24-70 - please help. check images.
In reply to asaad saleh, 9 months ago

Hi please take a look at this question no one even read it i don't know if i post it wrong or something:

i really need your help

Hi,
Yes, it looks like a light leak issue to me. If you didn't close the viewfinder shutter then that would be the cause. The variation between shots in the amount of light leakage is quite normal and down to how close to the camera you were on each shot and how much your body was shading the viewfinder.

Please also note that I've read reports that the Nikon 24-70 lens also has a known issue with light leaks through the distance indicator window on the lens barrel - this would be better taped over with black electricians tape to eliminate it as a possible cause.

Ian
Fine Art Photography Website: http://ianbramham.com/

ianbramham's gear list:ianbramham's gear list
Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kweide
Senior MemberPosts: 1,755Gear list
Like?

Aggree, looks like light leak. You forgot to close finder while long exposure. Close it and it will be fine

-- hide signature --

More of my work can be see her: ( some NSFW )
http://www.klaweide.de/

Kweide's gear list:Kweide's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-E2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +16 more
Darren Langdon
Contributing MemberPosts: 699Gear list
Like?

To me it looks like light reflecting off the filter. Three things that may resolve the problem.

1. Always use a good high quality filter. I prefer B+W.

2.Always use your lens hood. In addition you can use your hand to block stray light from whatever direction the light is coming from.

3.Always close the viewfinder shutter during long exposures.

-- hide signature --

FCAS Member #104

Darren Langdon's gear list:Darren Langdon's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
stawarz
Forum MemberPosts: 62Gear list
Like?
In reply to Darren Langdon, 9 months ago

Given how much of the frame is affected it looks like you didn't close the eyepiece shutter (a must when doing long exposures as light still leaks round the mirror).

As you're using the 24-70 f/2.8 lens, when doing long exposures during daylight there is a known light leak problem in the lens through the distance scale around 52mm. This will exhibit as a triangular streak in the top left corner when in landscape orientation. Nikon have a fix (an extended length scale fitting) if it really bugs you, otherwise pop a cloth over the distance scale.

stawarz's gear list:stawarz's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 +21 more
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,414Gear list
Like?

If you are using a Lee type filter system or similar, then it might be light leaking in through the side of the filter from a light source. You may need to use a hood to shade the filter from the light source. Lee warns of this in their tutorials on their website.

http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera#nd-videobox

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +11 more
soloryb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,381Gear list
Like?
In reply to ianbramham, 9 months ago

ianbramham wrote:

i really need your help

Hi,
Yes, it looks like a light leak issue to me. If you didn't close the viewfinder shutter then that would be the cause. The variation between shots in the amount of light leakage is quite normal and down to how close to the camera you were on each shot and how much your body was shading the viewfinder.

Please also note that I've read reports that the Nikon 24-70 lens also has a known issue with light leaks through the distance indicator window on the lens barrel - this would be better taped over with black electricians tape to eliminate it as a possible cause.

Ian
Fine Art Photography Website: http://ianbramham.com/

It has been known for several years that the  Nikkor 24-70 does have a light leak - through the indicator window. It only becomes evident in bright light conditions. To test the lens just put on the cap and take a shot with a bright bulb shining on the indicator window. Repeat the shot with a piece of black tape over that window.

I had mine repaired by Nikon for free, although at the time I had to pay the costly shipping. I believe Nikon eventually repaired the 24-70 and also paid the shipping. They may still do this.

On the other hand, a simple piece of black tape over that indicator window works.

soloryb

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
Mitrajoon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,416Gear list
Like?
In reply to soloryb, 9 months ago

Could you site a reference on the light leak issue with the 24-70?  I've never heard of that.  I'd like to know more about it and what Nikon did to fix it.

A light leak from not closing the eye piece will affect any lens during a long exposure.

-- hide signature --
Jim Keye
Senior MemberPosts: 1,597
Like?
In reply to Mitrajoon, 9 months ago

Mitrajoon wrote:

Could you site a reference on the light leak issue with the 24-70? I've never heard of that. I'd like to know more about it and what Nikon did to fix it.

Cough, google, cough.

A light leak from not closing the eye piece will affect any lens during a long exposure.

?? But what does that have to do with the 24-70?

soloryb
Like?
In reply to Mitrajoon, 9 months ago

Mitrajoon wrote:

Could you site a reference on the light leak issue with the 24-70? I've never heard of that. I'd like to know more about it and what Nikon did to fix it.

-- hide signature --

It's all over the Web. Just do a search on 'Nikkor 24-70 light leak' and you'll be flooded with information.

This has nothing to do with not closing the eyepiece shield during exposure. It's a very real occurrence and only becomes apparent in bright light falling on the lens barrel. I had this repaired by Nikon several years ago so I don't remember all the details. I read (at the time of my repair) that Nikon Asia had done a recall, but I can't remember all the details. I suggest you call Nikon and ask them directly.

soloryb

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
No black elec tape on 24-70, use painter's or gaffer's tape
In reply to soloryb, 9 months ago

Black electrical tape is excellent for stretching around wires and for a permanent installation. It does leave a sticky residue no matter how long it's in place. I wouldn't put it on my lenses if I plan to take it off later. And you will want to use the distance scale occasionally.

A better fix would be to use blue Painter's tape which is made to be removable without leaving a mark. Use two layers if one is not enough. Fold a small bit of one end back underneath to make peeling it off later much easier.

I've never used Gaffer's tape, used in light rigging, etc. It may be another good solution if it's removable later.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
soloryb
Like?
Re: No black elec tape on 24-70, use painter's or gaffer's tape
In reply to dave gaines, 9 months ago

dave gaines wrote:

Black electrical tape is excellent for stretching around wires and for a permanent installation. It does leave a sticky residue no matter how long it's in place. I wouldn't put it on my lenses if I plan to take it off later. And you will want to use the distance scale occasionally.

A better fix would be to use blue Painter's tape which is made to be removable without leaving a mark. Use two layers if one is not enough. Fold a small bit of one end back underneath to make peeling it off later much easier.

I've never used Gaffer's tape, used in light rigging, etc. It may be another good solution if it's removable later.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Another solution is to stretch a wide rubber band around the lens so that it covers the window. Then just move the rubber band out of the way whenever you want to view the focus distance. I now remember that this is what I did at one point, and it worked.

soloryb

mnodonnell
Contributing MemberPosts: 639
Like?
Definite light leak through your viewfinder

Close it off.

Long exposure light leak

asaad saleh
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Re: Definite light leak through your viewfinder
In reply to mnodonnell, 9 months ago

Thank you so much, this is exactly what is happening with me, going shooting tomorrow if the weather is good, and will sure follow all your instructions regarding the view finder and the distance leak.

your photo is the same as mine appreciate  your sharing.

thank you.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads