Pull the trigger or wait? D800

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Metaxzen
New MemberPosts: 19Gear list
Like?
Pull the trigger or wait? D800
6 months ago

I've been dreaming of buying a D800 for a while now but I am terrified that a new, better version will be coming out soon. Has anyone heard anything on when an update to the D800 might be coming? I'd rather wait 6 months and get the next best thing... Thoughts?

Ps - Hi! I've been lurking for a while. Enjoy the posts here from everyone!

Metaxzen's gear list:Metaxzen's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro +1 more
Event_shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,004
Like?
Re: Pull the trigger or wait? D800
In reply to Metaxzen, 6 months ago

There are certain products that come along and hold up even though other products come after. Like the VW bug, if you bought one and the next 7 models came out your still good. Like the Mac pro, I bought top of the line in 2008 and it served me well till 2014 and I never missed a beat.

The D800 is one of those products. I got the D800e and the D4 at the same time, soon sold the D4 as the D800e was so much better for me.

I'm wondering really what could Nikon come out with that would make me want to upgrade. The D4 didn't do it. The D4s didn't do it, the d600 didn't etc. Canon didn't come out with anything to make me switch, Sony didn't. So I'm here with my D800E still very very happy.

The D800 is one of those products that will still be a viable competitor for years and years and years.

I think the D800 is a bargain for what you get for the price.

Buy it, shoot with it, you will never regret it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Photofunster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,548Gear list
Like?
In reply to Event_shooter, 6 months ago

+1

I couldn't have said it better, in fewer words...

just an awesome bit of kit... Look forward to the next big surprise though...

Perhaps in another year or three...

Chas

-- hide signature --

D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G ED VR, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
SB-910, WG-AS3, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s*, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-l 60MB/s*
Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-100, SBH-250, PH-22,
Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness~Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, LC 11x 26cm
FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Viivitar Zoom 285,
Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm

Photofunster's gear list:Photofunster's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Apple iPad 3G +WiFi +2 more
ZinMe
Contributing MemberPosts: 708Gear list
Like?
In reply to Photofunster, 6 months ago

I wouldn't be surprised if Nikon brings the Expeed 4 platform to an FX advanced enthusiast body (ex. D800s or a D750.)   But if you don't care about FPS or buffer, I would absolutely go for a D800 now.

ZinMe's gear list:ZinMe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +8 more
mais51
Contributing MemberPosts: 871Gear list
Like?

Metaxzen wrote:

I've been dreaming of buying a D800 for a while now but I am terrified that a new, better version will be coming out soon. Has anyone heard anything on when an update to the D800 might be coming? I'd rather wait 6 months and get the next best thing... Thoughts?

Buy it enjoy it and worry about new camera in three to four years - life too short to wait.

I am pushing 63 in 5 years time I may not be able to handhold my D800, how long you think I should wait ?

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +5 more
RodluvanII
Senior MemberPosts: 1,448Gear list
Like?
relax -> take photos

Metaxzen wrote:

I've been dreaming of buying a D800 for a while now but I am terrified that a new, better version will be coming out soon.

Terrified? Better? Holy smokes, relax.

Many argue we've already almost reached peek-image quality for almost all practical purposes. Most certainly digital has surpassed film a long time ago. I'm certain that a new 'better' version will not make any kind of discernible difference for you other than the nagging feeling that you haven't got the 'newest gear' and that should tell you something.

-- hide signature --

www.martinilux.com

RodluvanII's gear list:RodluvanII's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/28 ZM Carl Zeiss C Biogon T* 2,8/35 ZM +8 more
maljo@inreach.com
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,624
Like?
Buy one, it's a great camera

My favorite camera of all time...

RodluvanII
Senior MemberPosts: 1,448Gear list
Like?
Great photo
In reply to maljo@inreach.com, 6 months ago

nice colours and light

-- hide signature --

www.martinilux.com

RodluvanII's gear list:RodluvanII's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/28 ZM Carl Zeiss C Biogon T* 2,8/35 ZM +8 more
dwight3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,804Gear list
Like?

Metaxzen wrote:

I'm not a fan of waiting.

Yes, there will eventually be the next best thing coming on. But in the meantime you will not be shooting with your D800. Think of all the shots you'll miss. Even in as little as 6 months. Prime outdoor weather (at least in the Northern hemisphere).

And even when a significant update comes along, your camera will still work.

Mid-term updates seem to come along at 2 year intervals. But they're not generally significant, just tweaks. Get one now and start shooting.

Also, remember that camera bodies are disposable, but lenses are forever. Consider getting good lenses and let the bodies fall where they may.

Ps - Hi! I've been lurking for a while...

We can see that. Welcome to the forum with your first post

dwight3's gear list:dwight3's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S52c Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +9 more
bocajrs
Contributing MemberPosts: 953Gear list
Like?
Re: Great photo
In reply to RodluvanII, 6 months ago

Get one and it should serve you well for many years...it's certaintly a great piece of technology that I plan on using till it falls apart, if ever

bocajrs's gear list:bocajrs's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Jurwees
Regular MemberPosts: 304Gear list
Like?
In reply to mais51, 6 months ago

mais51 wrote:

I am pushing 63 in 5 years time I may not be able to handhold my D800, how long you think I should wait ?

Don't be such a pessimist. I'm 67 and I don't have any problems yet handholding my D800. However, I agree that it would be a waste to postpone buying a D800.

-- hide signature --

Jur

Jurwees's gear list:Jurwees's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
Rservello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?

It produces a damn near perfect image at 14-bit lossless. Not a lot is going to change, save a few,fundamentally pointless bells and whistles. The technology of capturing light to photosensative material hasn't changed a lot over the years. You could get a d700 today and capture phenomenal images.

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49019071@N03/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2334596/
* Sensitive Internet User Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and are not meant to offend you or damage your precious beliefs.

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Apple Aperture +3 more
Metaxzen
New MemberPosts: 19Gear list
Like?
In reply to Event_shooter, 6 months ago

You guys are awesome Thanks so much!! Very helpful

Metaxzen's gear list:Metaxzen's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro +1 more
ranalli
Contributing MemberPosts: 861
Like?

Metaxzen wrote:

I would keep waiting.  A new camera will come out soon.  And once that camera comes out they will design another one very soon so I would say it's probably best to wait maybe 5-7 more years until the last camera comes out.

There's no point in taking pictures with a camera that is going to be outdated soon...those pictures will be no good.

kormendi_adam
Contributing MemberPosts: 872Gear list
Like?
great response!
In reply to ranalli, 6 months ago

Hats off. I love to see some people still have a good sense of humor here

kormendi_adam's gear list:kormendi_adam's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +1 more
romfordbluenose
Contributing MemberPosts: 722Gear list
Like?

Metaxzen wrote:

Its a camera,perhaps an expensive one, but its still a camera. Its also a great camera. Everyday you delay means you won't be taking photos with it.

If that worries you then don't wait buy now. If it doesn't then who cares including yourself.

Decide on what camera spec. you want/need. If it exists buy it, if it doesn't wait for it to come along. Waiting for an upgrade you don't need makes no sense.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
axcentphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 841Gear list
Like?
In reply to romfordbluenose, 6 months ago

My D800 is one year old and I still love it! The replacement for the D800 won't come out for another year or longer. And I really don't need 54 MP! Go for it!...Brent

axcentphoto's gear list:axcentphoto's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
Humours Dip
Senior MemberPosts: 1,352
Like?

The D800 was released 2 years ago, so on current trends expect a minor refresh soon, and a replacement in 2 years. You need to ask yourself what you want, what you are prepared to pay, the cost of waiting, and need.

I kept my D200 for 8 years before upgrading to a D600. The image quality is astonishing. No doubt better cameras will come along in a few years, but I don't see anything major coming along. Maybe more pixels, better video, a Canon like small RAW, nothing game changing.

If you will use it, buy one. The D800 is astounding.

larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,316
Like?
In reply to mais51, 6 months ago

Don't worry, I am 69 and still carrying my d4 plus 500mm lens mounted on a tripod.  Yes I would say to the op just get the d800 now.

Larry

ranalli
Contributing MemberPosts: 861
Like?
Re: great response!
In reply to kormendi_adam, 6 months ago

kormendi_adam wrote:

Hats off. I love to see some people still have a good sense of humor here

The truth is you gotta get out and shoot and have fun with it and work on your own skills.

I bought a used D700 and still shoot with a D90.  I worked hard where I could improve my technique and post work and even though I have a lot to learn I wouldn't be any better with a D4 or D800.

Don't get me wrong the D700 offers some advantages but 8/10 photos I could do with a cheaper camera and really nice used lens...in fact I buy all my lenses used now and always am looking for old AF-D lenses.

Here's a shot I took with my D700...I don't think a D800 would have made this any better.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads