Shutter count.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Terry Geig
Regular MemberPosts: 391Gear list
Like?
Shutter count.
6 months ago

So, I have been pondering this ever since I bought my D50 in 2005. There is lots of talk about the life of the shutter in a digital camera. I do not know if this is a valid thing, or if it's just talk. So, do they wear out faster than on a 35mm? I know I used my Rollei for many years and no idea how many clicks went through it. I would like to ask your opinions rather that googling it. And on the subject of shutter count, where do you find your camera's count?

Terry Geig's gear list:Terry Geig's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +1 more
Nikon D50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
CAlanS
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
Re: Shutter count.
In reply to Terry Geig, 6 months ago

Shutter count: shoot a jpeg and upload it here:

http://www.myshuttercount.com/

It will respond with your shutter count.  I've never heard of and end of life breakdown related to shuitter count but I'm too much of a rookie.  Other people may have an answer for you.

CAlanS's gear list:CAlanS's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Terry Geig
Like?
Thanks CAlanS.
In reply to CAlanS, 6 months ago

But I have tried that site before. I must be doing something wrong. I just tried it with 2 different photos, both jpeg.

Nikon D50 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +1 more
jaypike
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?

Shutters have always had a lifetime.  Digital means that people tend to take more photos and can actually achieve burning out the shutter

Having replaced the better part of a dozen shutters in the past 8 years, its not really that big of a deal. Spend your $350 with Nikon repair, wait 3 weeks, and you've got a new shutter.

Irrelevant to sit and worry about, in my opinion.

jp

-- hide signature --
 jaypike's gear list:jaypike's gear list
Nikon D4s
jaypike
Like?
In reply to jaypike, 6 months ago

Additionally, for what its worth, here is a shutter life expectancy site: http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/

jp

-- hide signature --
Nikon D4s
jaypike
Like?

'exiftool' for mac will tell you you shutter release count, but, keep in mind, that various activities taken with the camera can reset that counter, such as firmware upgrades.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D4s
aut0maticdan
Contributing MemberPosts: 653Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks CAlanS.

Those both have watermarks and no EXIF data.  They can't be straight OOC JPEGs.

aut0maticdan's gear list:aut0maticdan's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +7 more
CAlanS
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks CAlanS.

Just tested it. Was your jpeg out of the camera. I don't think it can be a converted file. I just tried it. Navigated to a file on my hard drive from the "Choose File" button and then hit the Upload button and got Shutter Count: 2338 back + more detail on the photo which I shot in 2013.  I think the site will handle NEF too but it will take much longer to upload the file.

CAlanS's gear list:CAlanS's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF +2 more
Terry Geig
Like?
Thanks Jay Pike!

I believe you are right. I haven't been worrying about it, just wondering...

mais51
Contributing MemberPosts: 885Gear list
Like?

Terry Geig wrote:

So, I have been pondering this ever since I bought my D50 in 2005. There is lots of talk about the life of the shutter in a digital camera. I do not know if this is a valid thing, or if it's just talk. So, do they wear out faster than on a 35mm? I know I used my Rollei for many years and no idea how many clicks went through it. I would like to ask your opinions rather that googling it. And on the subject of shutter count, where do you find your camera's count?

A Nikon professional camera should have an average shutter durability of 150,000. cycles

If you shot film that a life time however if you shot digital may be 5 to 10 years !

The reason I say that because in olden days you would shots probably 400 to 500 photos for each big event now multiply that to 10 ! and if you are professional photographers multiply that to at least 50 !.

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +5 more
lancespring
Senior MemberPosts: 2,406Gear list
Like?
No solutions will work with your photos

since you have obviously edited them.

In order to read the shutter count, the photo has to be straight out of the camera, and unmodified.

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,875Gear list
Like?

Download Opanda IEXIF. It's free.  It'll tell you your shutter count and a whole bunch more.  Body image was taken with f stop, shutter speed, lens used, focal length and so on.  And when you right click on a photo on yout computer, or backup drive, stick, whatever, you get a menu option to see exif data. So you can quickly look at any image, see what you shot it with and all the info pertaining to that image.

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Terry Geig
Like?
Thank you...
In reply to lancespring, 6 months ago
No text.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads