FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Here Today .. Gone Today! Locked

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
ZzzooM3
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Here Today .. Gone Today!
4 months ago

I think this sets a record for me on camera gear. I ordered the FE 24-70mm F4 OSS and it finally arrived today at 1:15PM. I dropped it back to FedEx at 3:15PM!!

I knew it was a bad idea to pre-order just on expectation. I really got caught up in the positive reviews for the FE35 and FE55 and placed the order site and review unseen. I won't be making that mistake again.

At $1200, this lens should be spot on for the entire focal range, not just from 28-60 and it's not fast enough. Shame because Sony had such a good start with the other 2 Zeiss branded FE lens

ZzzooM3's gear list:ZzzooM3's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +8 more
Edmond Dantes
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Re: FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Here Today .. Gone Today!
In reply to ZzzooM3, 4 months ago

<grabs popcorn and gets ready for the show>

Edmond Dantes's gear list:Edmond Dantes's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 50mm F1.1 Nokton Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +5 more
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,136

ZzzooM3 wrote:

I think this sets a record for me on camera gear. I ordered the FE 24-70mm F4 OSS and it finally arrived today at 1:15PM. I dropped it back to FedEx at 3:15PM!!

I knew it was a bad idea to pre-order just on expectation. I really got caught up in the positive reviews for the FE35 and FE55 and placed the order site and review unseen. I won't be making that mistake again.

At $1200, this lens should be spot on for the entire focal range, not just from 28-60 and it's not fast enough. Shame because Sony had such a good start with the other 2 Zeiss branded FE lens

I agree. In my case I cancelled my order a few days before they shipped.

-- hide signature --

Dave

bigley Ling
Contributing MemberPosts: 964
In reply to KwhyChang, 4 months ago

KwhyChang wrote:

ZzzooM3 wrote:

I agree. In my case I cancelled my order a few days before they shipped.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Guess if the 24-70 is not for you, then primes it has to be or legacy glass....

echolsphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 558Gear list
In reply to bigley Ling, 4 months ago

Picking mine up tomorrow.

Dandrewk
Contributing MemberPosts: 705Gear list

So you folks are -really- judging the lens after two hours of usage?  Or... PRE-judging the lens based on some (but NOT all) posts here?

If it's too expensive for that slow of a lens, why was it even ordered in the first place?

BTW, I've yet to find the issues with this lens that some here seem to have.  Perhaps I got lucky.  Or perhaps I already know that there has never, ever been a zoom lens that is "spot on" sharp at all apertures and at all focal lengths.

Dandrewk's gear list:Dandrewk's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +14 more
islandphotos
Regular MemberPosts: 111Gear list
In reply to Dandrewk, 4 months ago

Dandrewk wrote:

So you folks are -really- judging the lens after two hours of usage? Or... PRE-judging the lens based on some (but NOT all) posts here?

If it's too expensive for that slow of a lens, why was it even ordered in the first place?

BTW, I've yet to find the issues with this lens that some here seem to have. Perhaps I got lucky. Or perhaps I already know that there has never, ever been a zoom lens that is "spot on" sharp at all apertures and at all focal lengths.

Well said!

islandphotos's gear list:islandphotos's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T9 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +3 more
Zeisschen
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
EXPECTED AT LEAST A SHORT REVIEW

..but it seems you didn't even open the box but made more effort to come here and make an uninteresting troll post.

Zeisschen's gear list:Zeisschen's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +4 more
NomadMark
Regular MemberPosts: 448Gear list
Re: EXPECTED AT LEAST A SHORT REVIEW
In reply to Zeisschen, 4 months ago

What is with everyone expecting the 24-70mm to be sharp as a prime, corner to corner?

It's a zoom folks. Reality check. It has other measurable qualities. Clarity and contrast, color, and above all else, versatility. Sharpness corner to corner that competes with primes is not a characteristic of zooms. Not even the best in the world. Canons own 24-70 2.8 mkII, arguably the best zoom ever in that range, costs over 2K, is bested at 24mm by their own $550-$600 24mm IS prime, especially when comparing sweet spots in respect to aperture. Probably bested by their $100 50mm 1.8 as well I would wager, at 50mm.

Bottom line, is the 24-70 FE pretty much performs as (realistically) expected, IMHO. And for most peoples true to life work (or play), the corner weakness is probably not even an issue. If it is, then they shouldn't be buying zooms.

And what with the complaining about the price? It's well built, it's compact, and has great OSS. Check out Canons 24-70 f4, and 24-105 f4. Both are in the 1500-1700 range, and people are continuously saying they are comparable. Funny there are pros out there who swear by shooting weddings on those lenses, and they all seem to be well received generally. Yet Sony releases something similar in IQ, build, in a small package, for $100's less...and people manage to complain?

Let's get a grip people.

NomadMark's gear list:NomadMark's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
David Lozoya
Contributing MemberPosts: 748
Well...
In reply to Dandrewk, 4 months ago

The ONLY zoom lens that I have used/owned that was sharp to the corners at all apertures with minimal distortion was the fantastic Olympus 12-40 f2.8. You have to see it to believe it. No other zoom comes close.

-- hide signature --

--

www.davidlozoya.com

Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,427Gear list

ZzzooM3 wrote:

1. How do you know the copy you got performed poorly except between 28 and 60mm? Just because 10-20% of the lenses received here had issues, how do you know YOURS was defective? You didn't even fire a few shot to test it?

2. It's not fast enough? How fast does it need to be for a camera that shoots 1600 ISO that looks like 200 ISO on an APC-camera?

3. Have you ever owned an f2.8 lens of this range? I have two 28-75mm f2.8 Tamron XR Di full frame lenses, and even with plastic barrels, they are WAY heavier and bigger front elements.

I guess if you don't know how to evaluate a lens, you shouldn't buy them.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Dennishh
Regular MemberPosts: 497Gear list
In reply to NomadMark, 4 months ago

Here's something to help soothe your tortured soul! Sometimes it doesn't pay to jump to conclusions.

Shot with the Zeiss 24-70 F4 ZA A7r

Dennishh's gear list:Dennishh's gear list
Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,279Gear list
Slow focus? How much slower vs. 1D3 + 24-70/2.8 LII?

ZzzooM3 wrote:

Just curious as to how the focusing compares to the Canon.

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
NomadMark
Re: Well...
In reply to David Lozoya, 4 months ago

David Lozoya wrote:

The ONLY zoom lens that I have used/owned that was sharp to the corners at all apertures with minimal distortion was the fantastic Olympus 12-40 f2.8. You have to see it to believe it. No other zoom comes close.

-- hide signature --

www.davidlozoya.com

Aye. But it's also MFT? Right? And with corrections turned off in camera, it appears distortion may be worse with that lens. On quick google anyway.

I'm no engineer, but I would venture to guess that it's probably easier to make a sharp lens for a smaller sensor? And it's $1000 still.

I can respect your opinion. And the experience you have had. Perhaps the 12-40 is exceptional. But as far as full frame lens engineering goes, 24-70 FE for 1200 seems to be par. And it's my opinion it will give you more pleasing images than the 12-40mm on the whole, because it's taking advantage of the best full frame sensors on the market. I wouldn't buy a MFT camera. Probably wouldn't use one if it were given to me...even with the 12-40. That's just me of course.

I love my 24-105L. And I can't wait to do a direct comparison later in the month.

Sony RX1R Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
NomadMark
In reply to Dennishh, 4 months ago

Dennishh wrote:

Here's something to help soothe your tortured soul! Sometimes it doesn't pay to jump to conclusions.

Shot with the Zeiss 24-70 F4 ZA A7r

Looks OK to me. I think you should invite me over for a drink and for further testing

bigley Ling
In reply to David Lozoya, 4 months ago

David Lozoya wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.davidlozoya.com

I think a full frame zoom lens that comes close to having excellent corner sharpness at all apertures was the Nikkor 14-24 2.8 G. I thought this lens well deserving as one of the best zooms made considering it is an ultra wide zoom

BTW I own the Oly 12-40 pro lens, and it really is a joy to use. The all weather seals really does work when used in conjunction with the Olympus E-M1

bigley Ling
In reply to NomadMark, 4 months ago

NomadMark wrote:

David Lozoya wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.davidlozoya.com

Aye. But it's also MFT? Right? And with corrections turned off in camera, it appears distortion may be worse with that lens. On quick google anyway.

I'm no engineer, but I would venture to guess that it's probably easier to make a sharp lens for a smaller sensor? And it's $1000 still.

I can respect your opinion. And the experience you have had. Perhaps the 12-40 is exceptional. But as far as full frame lens engineering goes, 24-70 FE for 1200 seems to be par. And it's my opinion it will give you more pleasing images than the 12-40mm on the whole, because it's taking advantage of the best full frame sensors on the market. I wouldn't buy a MFT camera. Probably wouldn't use one if it were given to me...even with the 12-40. That's just me of course.

I love my 24-105L. And I can't wait to do a direct comparison later in the month.

Each to their own I have my 24-105L mounted on SB on NEX 5r and the corner performance is actually quite impressive. Just love having the additional stop of light to play with when using it with a focus reducer.

I also own the 12-40 Oly pro lens for my E-M1, and find that quite amazing as well. The AF speed is nothing short of amazing. The bokeh may fall short of the 24-105L, but the overall size and weight of the 12-40 makes this lens far more portable than the 24-105L

ZzzooM3
In reply to Mel Snyder, 4 months ago

Mel Snyder wrote:

ZzzooM3 wrote:

1. How do you know the copy you got performed poorly except between 28 and 60mm? Just because 10-20% of the lenses received here had issues, how do you know YOURS was defective? You didn't even fire a few shot to test it?

Because I took pictures with it dude! Did I say I didn't use it? At min focal length and min aperture, it starts to get sketchy away about from the center. Likewise at 70mm. Are you getting different results?

2. It's not fast enough? How fast does it need to be for a camera that shoots 1600 ISO that looks like 200 ISO on an APC-camera?

f/2.8 would be ideal IMO. So we're supposed to drive our sensor sensitivity up now to compensate in lower light.

3. Have you ever owned an f2.8 lens of this range? I have two 28-75mm f2.8 Tamron XR Di full frame lenses, and even with plastic barrels, they are WAY heavier and bigger front elements.

Yes, perhaps you should look at my gear list

... and what "evaluation standard" do I need to follow in order for you to like my response better?? I evaluated it on my terms. I didn't like it. I returned it. Sorry you don't seem to like that. Perhaps you will have better results. As long as you like it, that's what matters. I see no need to imply I'm clueless just because you don't like what I have to say. It's an open forum right?

Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +8 more
ZzzooM3
Re: Slow focus? How much slower vs. 1D3 + 24-70/2.8 LII?
In reply to José B, 4 months ago

José B wrote:

ZzzooM3 wrote:

Just curious as to how the focusing compares to the Canon.

Well the Canon AF focuses pretty slow with my adapter. It easier and more accurate using the a7 Focus Peaking and Magnification which works very well IMO. I choose this lens over the FE55 primarily because I wanted a single native walk-around lens. I had a SEL35F18 and it was pretty good but I hated the cropping. I tried working with the Crop OFF and that did yield more pixels than the auto crop but it was a hassle. So I just sold it.

I've been using my EF 17-40mm and have been pretty happy with the results but it really only works well using MF and being limited to 40mm is sometimes not ideal. I see now that I should have purchased the FE55. So as soon as I get my return credit, I'll have them send me one.

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,136Gear list
In reply to Mel Snyder, 4 months ago

Mel Snyder wrote:

ZzzooM3 wrote:

Mel,

I really love the size, weight, build quality of the 24-70mm. I do wish it was better in the corners for the price. To me it feels a bit like a kit lens, but for the A7R. The copy I am renting seems well centered, but the corners at 24mm never really improve, and some say it is great by 28mm, but I would say more like 40mm, and buy 60mm it is starting to get bad again in the corners.

I wouldn't say that it is a bad lens, just that it is a very nicely constructed kit lens. Pentax just released an APS-C 20-40mm f/2.8-4 which might be similar in its price to performance ratio. About $1000, nice metal construction, but there are better lenses optically.

Flare performance on the 24-70mm seems much better than an f/2.8 zoom, and the overall feel of the lens is very nice. I will write my more formal review in a few days when I get a better feel for how it works.

For focus speed I would say that it is very fast outside daylight, but inside and low light it really struggles, but I think that is the camera as much as it is the lens.  As it is I think it makes a very nice and light/compact travel kit for the A7R.  Not perfect sharpness, but very good contrast/presence from the lens.  What will help is when Lightroom supports the lens for corrections, as it is the distortion makes it very difficult to use.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads