More Old Barns

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
four under
Regular MemberPosts: 227Gear list
Like?
More Old Barns
8 months ago

I've been toying with the notion of doing a "rural decay" photo project. Lot's of subjects around if I hurry and they don't get torn down first. Thanks for looking.

Brian

four under's gear list:four under's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Canon PowerShot SX240 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 +4 more
evancj
Senior MemberPosts: 2,204
Like?
Re: More Old Barns
In reply to four under, 8 months ago

Very well done Brian!!! Love them both. Are those tobacco barns?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
imabel
Contributing MemberPosts: 750Gear list
Like?

Brian,

Great job with old barns; while not the type I am used to seeing here in Washington state they are a part of someones history (life story), and you did them more than justice.

Mike

imabel's gear list:imabel's gear list
Pentax K-50 +2 more
four under
Like?
In reply to evancj, 8 months ago

Thanks Evan. Yes they are tobacco barns. The taller buildings are kilns where the tobacco was cured. The longer lower barn I believe is what they called a pack barn. This area was once a huge tobacco producer. These kilns were everywhere you looked. Mostly gone now. Ther is still a bit of tobacco grown, but they use a different system now.

Brian

Nikon Coolpix P7100 Canon PowerShot SX240 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 +4 more
KJaay
Senior MemberPosts: 3,290Gear list
Like?

Days gone - by, nice job.

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Canon EOS 450D
four under
Like?
In reply to imabel, 8 months ago

Thank you Mike. These old buildings often make me wonder about the people that used them.

Brian

Norman B
Regular MemberPosts: 300
Like?

I recall the image you posted of the barn that was leaning to the right. These pics are great and will fit in very nicely with the other barn pic you have.

Sactojim
Senior MemberPosts: 3,242
Like?

Nice photos! One could spend many hours/days taking images of old barns. I grew up in rural farm country as a kid from 3rd grad through high school and there are countless abandoned farm houses and barns due to the economies of large acre farming. They have such beauty and family stories run deep on each one..sadly a whole lifestyle gone. Good luck on your project..combine it with as much history as possible to really give it character.

Hollander
Senior MemberPosts: 1,369Gear list
Like?

Well done Brian, that's a great project you're working on. Hope to see more of the old barns or buildings.

Rob.

-- hide signature --

To keep my brain active I'm looking forward to my next trip. So much to see yet and not enough time.
http://robvorderman.zenfolio.com/

Hollander's gear list:Hollander's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX80 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +3 more
Augustin Man
Senior MemberPosts: 3,967Gear list
Like?

A very interesing target that you excellently catched !

Congratulations,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P600
four under
Like?
In reply to KJaay, 8 months ago

Thank you KJ,

Brian

four under
Like?
In reply to Norman B, 8 months ago

Thank you Norman. I mean to go back and re shoot that leaning kiln in late day light.

Brian

four under
Like?
In reply to Sactojim, 8 months ago

Thank you Sactojim. I really need to learn more of the history of this area. I'm not "from around here" as they say. hardly an excuse though. I've lived here over half my life. 

Brian

four under
Like?
In reply to Hollander, 8 months ago

Thank you Rob. maybe some day I can photograph some that aren't surrounded by snow. 

Brian

four under
Like?
In reply to Augustin Man, 8 months ago

Thank you Augustin.

Brian

Norman B
Like?

four under wrote:

Thank you Rob. maybe some day I can photograph some that aren't surrounded by snow.

Brian

Hi Brian.

I don't know how much you want to get into this area of photography but it is an area that I find fascinating in so many ways. I've been shooting barns since 2007. Taking pics of barns morphed into taking pics of 2 and 3 ton grain trucks form the 40's and 50's, hay rakes, and a few other things.

Be careful. Some of these properties can be dangerous places because of junk and other sharo objects hidden in the tall grass of summer and under the snow in winter. It is not uncommon for animals like skunks and racoons to take up residence in the various buildings and other structures.

Taking pics in winter has a couple of advantages. Pics in winter add variety to a gallery. In addition to that, winter means no leaves on the bushes and trees. It also provides an opportunity to find things that are normally hidden mother nature.

Your SX50 at the wide end will come in very handy for situations where shooting conditions are crowded for any one of a number of reasons. Also, you can shoot jpeg and you will still be shooting RAW. (Rusty, Ancient and or Wrecky)

Norm

four under
Like?

Thanks for the tips Norman. I love old trucks and equipment too. I once paid $8 admission to get in to an event just to take pictures of an old 5 ton International they had on the grounds. Love your RAW definition. 

Brian

Norman B
Like?
Re: Woodtick Love

four under wrote:

Thanks for the tips Norman. I love old trucks and equipment too. I once paid $8 admission to get in to an event just to take pictures of an old 5 ton International they had on the grounds. Love your RAW definition.

Brian

1938 International

I forgot to mention woodticks. They can be nasty little critters depending on conditions and the time of year.

Taken in the early evening 15 Aug 2007. The wood box is slowly rotting away and the grass has taken over. You can still see what remains of the box on the left. I would have spent more time and taken more pics but the grass was crawling with woodticks. Hello and goodbye. lol

The person who bought this truck passed on ages ago and the farm was passed on to his son. Persons unkown broke the headlights and other glass.

Feel free to download this pic if you like and good luck.

Norm

four under
Like?
Re: Woodtick Love

I don't know of any wood ticks in this area Norman. There are some deer ticks east of here around Long Point, but our biggest bug problem here is mosquitoes and biting flies. Nice photo of the truck, thanks for posting it.

Brian

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads