New EPIC camcorder first to beat D800E dxomark score

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
jintoku
Regular MemberPosts: 437Gear list
Like?
New EPIC camcorder first to beat D800E dxomark score
6 months ago

DPREVIEW link

Wonder when this tech will make it into Nikon (and other) cameras.

jintoku's gear list:jintoku's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 RX100 III Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
HollywoodPics
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
Re: New EPIC camcorder first to beat D800E dxomark score
In reply to jintoku, 6 months ago

I read the review and noticed two things immediately: the EPIC is about $30,000 and the differences in the scores are not that significant.  Of course there are many features the EPIC has that is reflected in the price that the D800E does not have.  Given the relative price points, I think the D800E acquitted itself fairly well.

-- hide signature --

GGB

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Luke Kaven
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,150
Like?
In reply to jintoku, 6 months ago

It does temporal oversampling.  That's partly how it gets its high DR.  In other words, I don't think you can get that DR at 1/500th sec.  I think you can get it at reasonable cine shutter angles, closer to 1/50th-1/60th.

Be prepared for the possibility that the extra DR is not at the bottom end.  It might be at the top end.

In the end, the Dragon is a purpose-built machine with tweaks appropriate for a cine camera.  And if Nikon needed that in a still camera, they could do it too.  In the meantime, I think they'll be able to get the extra DR they want in the next generation of sensors.

jintoku
Regular MemberPosts: 437Gear list
Like?
In reply to Luke Kaven, 6 months ago

Interesting, thanks for the explanation.

Luke Kaven wrote:

It does temporal oversampling. That's partly how it gets its high DR. In other words, I don't think you can get that DR at 1/500th sec. I think you can get it at reasonable cine shutter angles, closer to 1/50th-1/60th.

Be prepared for the possibility that the extra DR is not at the bottom end. It might be at the top end.

In the end, the Dragon is a purpose-built machine with tweaks appropriate for a cine camera. And if Nikon needed that in a still camera, they could do it too. In the meantime, I think they'll be able to get the extra DR they want in the next generation of sensors.

jintoku's gear list:jintoku's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 RX100 III Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
Scott McMorrow
Regular MemberPosts: 356
Like?
In reply to Luke Kaven, 6 months ago

... and Temporal oversampling is just another form of HDR photography. If you're filming at a 60 frame per second rate, there is quite a bit of latitude to take multiple shots within that timeframe, and perform the signal processing necessary to extend the dynamic range in any way that you want within the constraints of that processing period.

Eric Fossum's Quanta Image Sensor research is heading in this direction for general photography.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53184133

Luke Kaven
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,150
Like?
In reply to Scott McMorrow, 6 months ago

Scott McMorrow wrote:

... and Temporal oversampling is just another form of HDR photography. If you're filming at a 60 frame per second rate, there is quite a bit of latitude to take multiple shots within that timeframe, and perform the signal processing necessary to extend the dynamic range in any way that you want within the constraints of that processing period.

Eric Fossum's Quanta Image Sensor research is heading in this direction for general photography.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53184133

These extended concepts of capture are going to become more important over time I think.

It seems as those these things likely benefit the highlight end of dynamic range much more than the shadow end.  It's easy to slip in a 1/500 sec exposure just after a 1/60 exposure if you can read and flush it quickly enough.

This is convenient for cinematographers, who would like to be able to shoot high contrast scenes (e.g., indoor-outdoor combined) without blowing out the highlights.  This kind of highlight compression was a grace that film provided for them pretty nicely.

On that shadow side, I think there are only minimal gains, if any.  I feel pretty sure that the D800 gets down at least as far in the shadows as the smaller Dragon, even after oversampling.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads