Importance of gear ...

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,236Gear list
Like?
Re: Importance of gear ...
In reply to Gabor Esperon, 8 months ago

Gabor Esperon wrote:

pavi1 wrote:

Gabor Esperon wrote:

pavi1 wrote:

deednets wrote:

... from a psychological perspective.

I was reading a thread on the Leica forum stating that gear doesn't matter.

Go repeat Ansel Adams with a point and shoot and let me know how the gear does not matter.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

You don't have to repeat someone else but do your own:

iphone:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/14/iphone-photography-awards_n_3757715.html

http://fstoplounge.com/2013/05/iphone-photography-displayed-at-fox-talbot-museum/

I don't think Photoshop and an iPhone will let you reproduce Ansel.

No one has ever said you can't produce a good photo with an iPhone and Photoshop.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

My point was that there is no need to reproduce Ansel. Even

Reproducing Ansel Adams was not my point either. My point is this ridiculous statement that gets thrown around that equipment does not matter. There are no professions that require tools when the quality of the equipment does not matter. Of course it matter. Try being a sports or wedding photographer with a cell phone. Of course you can be an artist with a pin hole camera.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 2,313Gear list
Like?
Re: Importance of gear ...
In reply to pavi1, 8 months ago

pavi1 wrote:

Reproducing Ansel Adams was not my point either. My point is this ridiculous statement that gets thrown around that equipment does not matter. There are no professions that require tools when the quality of the equipment does not matter. Of course it matter. Try being a sports or wedding photographer with a cell phone. Of course you can be an artist with a pin hole camera.

Good points! I think a lot of people here understand that! However (yeah, right!) here on dpreview, being a predominantely gear-focussed forum, it is sometimes hard to believe that so many people seem to believe that gear in fact doesn't matter!

I actually like the fact that you can be welcome and respected here even when you question the importance of gear in general. Like an atheist can be quite inspirational for a Christian congregation, I think it very refreshing to sober up and then go out and take photos with the Coke bottle in fact ... Michelangelo might have needed a rather sharp chisel, but still needed to see the woman hidden in that block of marble.

Deed

 deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,849Gear list
Like?
What was that about gear
In reply to deednets, 8 months ago

Just had a look at the photos on the Leica forum, no sports and no birds. So what was that about gear ??

I use the NEX-7 you mentioned with a 300 F/2.8, 500 F/4.5 and 800 F/5.6, again, what was that about gear ?? I would not feel comfortable with your Fuji, what was that about gear.

Danny.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 2,313Gear list
Like?
Re: What was that about gear
In reply to nzmacro, 8 months ago

nzmacro wrote:

Just had a look at the photos on the Leica forum, no sports and no birds. So what was that about gear ??

I use the NEX-7 you mentioned with a 300 F/2.8, 500 F/4.5 and 800 F/5.6, again, what was that about gear ?? I would not feel comfortable with your Fuji, what was that about gear.

Danny.

You only need gear when you want to take photos of socceroos or birdees, for all other stuff there is Mastercard!

Deed

 deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,849Gear list
Like?
Re: What was that about gear
In reply to deednets, 8 months ago

deednets wrote:

nzmacro wrote:

Just had a look at the photos on the Leica forum, no sports and no birds. So what was that about gear ??

I use the NEX-7 you mentioned with a 300 F/2.8, 500 F/4.5 and 800 F/5.6, again, what was that about gear ?? I would not feel comfortable with your Fuji, what was that about gear.

Danny.

You only need gear when you want to take photos of socceroos or birdees, for all other stuff there is Mastercard!

Deed

Yeah without gear I take a lot of photos. For all other stuff I'll take donations  

Danny.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gabor Esperon
Regular MemberPosts: 149
Like?
Re: Importance of gear ...
In reply to pavi1, 8 months ago

Reproducing Ansel Adams was not my point either. My point is this ridiculous statement that gets thrown around that equipment does not matter. There are no professions that require tools when the quality of the equipment does not matter. Of course it matter. Try being a sports or wedding photographer with a cell phone. Of course you can be an artist with a pin hole camera.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

I agree cameras are tools. A nail gun is usually faster than using a hammer. The argument can also be made that people have been making great photographs for decades, so while new tech advances and equipment makes it easier, how much does it matters if people improve their skills instead of relaying on the equipment? Look at this guy manual focusing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_zGXERMRQU That is fast!

Which brings me to another question (actually deserves a thread on its own LOL): Why did we started taking photographs? and What do we enjoy about taking photographs?

For me it is all in the process. It is far more rewarding, fun and productive to go out and shoot full manual, no meter, no auto-focus, no nothing, than to really on the camera features all the time. Not only you don't learn anything, but it is boring. Granted, I use a lot of auto features, but I the same time I could live without them and still have fun and produce photos.

So the question remain: Does it really matter? For me it matters the degree to which I feel the camera getting out of the way and becoming part of me. Technical stuff, it doesn't.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gary Martin
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,131Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you look at the gear, or the photographs?
In reply to Mark_A, 8 months ago

Photography (IMO) is not just about the end product, it's also about the process. And the process is arguably more enjoyable if you like your gear. And if you are really passionate about photography, you might also have a love of nice cameras and fine optics. So I think this debate is based on a false premise. Again, just my humble opinion ;P

 Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lanidrac
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,368
Like?
Its a tribal thing
In reply to deednets, 8 months ago

Too many make their gear as personal buddies and never have an open mind that maybe some other stuff is good too. Many others believe the more they spend will make a better photo simply because they spent more....while never reading a camera manual in their life. Then there are the photography GODs where you never question them because they have more posts than others. Keep an open mind. Its just electronic gear.

lanidrac

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark_A
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,312
Like?
Re: Do you look at the gear, or the photographs?
In reply to Gary Martin, 8 months ago

Gary Martin wrote:

Photography (IMO) is not just about the end product, it's also about the process. And the process is arguably more enjoyable if you like your gear. And if you are really passionate about photography, you might also have a love of nice cameras and fine optics. So I think this debate is based on a false premise. Again, just my humble opinion ;P

Hi Gary,

I agree, it is nice to like your gear, to like the visual characteristics it can create in your images. I know that going from a prosumer camera to a dslr I really liked the smooth and creamy images the new camera produced, the quality of my output was immediately improved.

However, that achieved, I have since then been more interested in improving my skills of composition and the like, my gear is good enough, now my eye has to improve to match.

Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ZX11
Contributing MemberPosts: 943Gear list
Like?
Re: Importance of gear ...
In reply to deednets, 8 months ago

deednets wrote:

... from a psychological perspective.

I was reading a thread on the Leica forum stating that gear doesn't matter. One of the first posters to respond suggested that amongs other things this wouldn't take the psychological background into account.

Not sure whether the poster meant in in this way, but I thought that was an interesting point he made: Does your gear make you feel more or less confident about your shooting? e.g. if you join a model workshop to learn some more about portrait photography, would it make you feel differently if you had a particular gear? Is there a percentage of confidence in the gear you carry?

What comes to mind is a scenario where I would certainly feel different with a Fuji X-E2 + 56/1.2 versus a Nikon D3300 with 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 VR II kit lens. This might seem like an extreme comparison but the Nikon with it's 24Mpx sensor and a maximum ISO 25.600 is no slouch.

Is there a certain level from whereon confidence is fine, e.g. D800 vs 5DMKIII vs. Leica M240?

I currently use the above mentioned Fuji X-E2 with 4 primes and have no issues to play with the big boys, but would not feel that great about a NEX 5, 6 or 7 etc ...

So I admit that the gear I use makes a difference to me, I think this is mainly because of the interface and how the camera feels like an extension of my hand/eye coordination, but this might of course be seen as rather feeble excuses to get some fabulous toys on board.

Deed

There are lots of stories about special gear (in the person's mind) inspiring someone to achieve beyond what is typical.  Even when the gear really didn't help in hind sight.  Didn't Dumbo have a special feather?

Therefore, I think there is some truth in it.

My favorites include:

The one about the guy who married a very plain woman of low self worth in a island culture.  This culture was set up so the groom would pay the bride's parents.  The guy discussed women's tendency to gossip with his male friends over a meal at his house.  He hosted the friends as they traveled through the area.  He hadn't seen them for a long time.  The men were served by a gorgeous, graceful woman while they talked.  The guy noted how women would brag about how much their husbands paid to win their hand in marriage.  He paid a fortune to his wife's parents even though they expected very little money for such a homely girl.  Normally, grooms would haggle the cost down.  But this guy did the reverse.  His friends knew of the girl and asked where she was.  The guy then introduced the gorgeous woman serving them, who was the girl.  Moral was something about her rising to match the self worth the husband had helped give her.  Sure the story is sexist but it is a good story from the old days.

Another had a radio control airplane modeler who crashed his planes regularly and flew poorly.  Until he acquired the radio control of a famous flyer.  The control was special enough that he worked harder on his planes set up and had the confidence to fly more often.  And was therefore more successful.

The mind and how it thinks is a funny thing.

 ZX11's gear list:ZX11's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 2,313Gear list
Like?
Re: Importance of gear ...
In reply to ZX11, 8 months ago

ZX11 wrote:

There are lots of stories about special gear (in the person's mind) inspiring someone to achieve beyond what is typical. Even when the gear really didn't help in hind sight. Didn't Dumbo have a special feather?

Therefore, I think there is some truth in it.

My favorites include:

The one about the guy who married a very plain woman of low self worth in a island culture. This culture was set up so the groom would pay the bride's parents. The guy discussed women's tendency to gossip with his male friends over a meal at his house. He hosted the friends as they traveled through the area. He hadn't seen them for a long time. The men were served by a gorgeous, graceful woman while they talked. The guy noted how women would brag about how much their husbands paid to win their hand in marriage. He paid a fortune to his wife's parents even though they expected very little money for such a homely girl. Normally, grooms would haggle the cost down. But this guy did the reverse. His friends knew of the girl and asked where she was. The guy then introduced the gorgeous woman serving them, who was the girl. Moral was something about her rising to match the self worth the husband had helped give her. Sure the story is sexist but it is a good story from the old days.

Another had a radio control airplane modeler who crashed his planes regularly and flew poorly. Until he acquired the radio control of a famous flyer. The control was special enough that he worked harder on his planes set up and had the confidence to fly more often. And was therefore more successful.

The mind and how it thinks is a funny thing.

I remember many, many years ago I had this discussion about whether or not money matters. I said that if you go to a country fair and have 1.000,00 and then get a saussage and a beer, where more expensive stuff was on offer too makes you more credible when you try to explain that this is exactly what you like. As opposed to the guy who only had 6.80 on him and get a sausage and a beer, costing him 6.80 and he claims that this was exactly what he wanted.

This might be true, but fact is that the guy with the 1.000,00 on him had a choice. Regarding gear ... same thing really in a different suit. Debatable, but why not have a debate about it?

Deed

 deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MinAZ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,030
Like?
Funny coincidence
In reply to deednets, 8 months ago

I just noticed this thread after spending several thousand dollars on equipment from a major retailer. I'm talking studio lighting, lens, accessories, etc...

I took a whole day to test out the equipment and do some experimental test lighting. I was careful with composition, lighting, etc... and got some shots that seemed very decent but I wasn't thrilled.

Later in the afternoon, I went with my daughter to the mall, and happened to have a cheap point and shoot with me. I took several photos of her doing her usual antics, not expecting much (I've taken literally thousands of her to date). They turned out to be the best photos of the day and pretty much the year even.

I would say luck is so important in photography that it trumps everything - gear, confidence, and even, to some degree, skill (although all are also important).

As a final irony, had I had my DSLR with me, I could never have taken those shots due to technical factors. That is not to say that 90% of the time I wouldn't prefer to have a better/faster camera with me, because for sure that is nice. But this one instance, it was right camera, right subject, right time. (The right camera btw was a Nikon S6500, which usually performs horribly indoors and on fast moving subjects, and this was the case.)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bruxi
Regular MemberPosts: 251Gear list
Like?
Re: Importance of gear ...
In reply to deednets, 8 months ago

deednets wrote:

bruxi wrote:

Learning the principles of light or post processing will give you 100x better photos than a new body or lens.

Gear is the sad crutch of the lazy, vision-less photographer.

100x? is that a fact?

I take it you have good lighting?

I agree regarding a "new" body! I am not sure where this "new" comes into this, I was asking about the correlation between gear, then confidence then better photos - or not. Clearly you think there is nothing in it for you, right?

So you would go onto an Alaska photoshoot with an iPHONE? Or a G10? Regardless, because gear doesn't matter? And compensate with knowledge, light and PP?

I think you might be going a long way with this attitude, but I am not sure where this "new" equals vison-less comes from?

Deed

Except that you reference the newest and most expensive DSLR's as "fabulous toys" and the basis for your entire point.  If you need to have the most expensive camera gear to be confident, so be it.

 bruxi's gear list:bruxi's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 2,313Gear list
Like?
Re: Importance of gear ...
In reply to bruxi, 8 months ago

bruxi wrote:

deednets wrote:

bruxi wrote:

Learning the principles of light or post processing will give you 100x better photos than a new body or lens.

Gear is the sad crutch of the lazy, vision-less photographer.

100x? is that a fact?

I take it you have good lighting?

I agree regarding a "new" body! I am not sure where this "new" comes into this, I was asking about the correlation between gear, then confidence then better photos - or not. Clearly you think there is nothing in it for you, right?

So you would go onto an Alaska photoshoot with an iPHONE? Or a G10? Regardless, because gear doesn't matter? And compensate with knowledge, light and PP?

I think you might be going a long way with this attitude, but I am not sure where this "new" equals vison-less comes from?

Deed

Except that you reference the newest and most expensive DSLR's as "fabulous toys" and the basis for your entire point. If you need to have the most expensive camera gear to be confident, so be it.

I never said nor meant that! I am currently drooling (in a mild way...) over a Leica lens, 50/1.4 from 1961. Not exactly new as such.

You have a tendency to exaggerate? I mentioned gear, never said the latest and the greatest! Importance of gear, not importance of NEW gear.

Deed

 deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 2,313Gear list
Like?
Re: Funny coincidence
In reply to MinAZ, 8 months ago

MinAZ wrote:

I just noticed this thread after spending several thousand dollars on equipment from a major retailer. I'm talking studio lighting, lens, accessories, etc...

I took a whole day to test out the equipment and do some experimental test lighting. I was careful with composition, lighting, etc... and got some shots that seemed very decent but I wasn't thrilled.

Later in the afternoon, I went with my daughter to the mall, and happened to have a cheap point and shoot with me. I took several photos of her doing her usual antics, not expecting much (I've taken literally thousands of her to date). They turned out to be the best photos of the day and pretty much the year even.

I would say luck is so important in photography that it trumps everything - gear, confidence, and even, to some degree, skill (although all are also important).

As a final irony, had I had my DSLR with me, I could never have taken those shots due to technical factors. That is not to say that 90% of the time I wouldn't prefer to have a better/faster camera with me, because for sure that is nice. But this one instance, it was right camera, right subject, right time. (The right camera btw was a Nikon S6500, which usually performs horribly indoors and on fast moving subjects, and this was the case.)

Some people here assumed that when somebody mentions "gear" it must be the latest and most expensive.

Snapshots and luck is an entirely different matter and it may very well be that you have a certain, lets say, device on you when something happens. All good then, but photography can be a matter of some planning e.g. take a camera to the zoo (never appealed to me but nevertheless..) so you would need to do some planning regarding the gear. An X100s or similar with fixed 28 or 35mm equivalents would possibly need some heavy cropping unless you are into fences etc.

Gear not necessarily in the 5K$ bracket, but important nonetheless. You still need a driver's license even if you can afford a Ferrari.

What are you going to do with all that gear you bought?

Deed

 deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bruxi
Regular MemberPosts: 251Gear list
Like?
Re: Importance of gear ...
In reply to deednets, 8 months ago

bruxi wrote:

deednets wrote:

bruxi wrote:

Learning the principles of light or post processing will give you 100x better photos than a new body or lens.

Gear is the sad crutch of the lazy, vision-less photographer.

100x? is that a fact?

I take it you have good lighting?

I agree regarding a "new" body! I am not sure where this "new" comes into this, I was asking about the correlation between gear, then confidence then better photos - or not. Clearly you think there is nothing in it for you, right?

So you would go onto an Alaska photoshoot with an iPHONE? Or a G10? Regardless, because gear doesn't matter? And compensate with knowledge, light and PP?

I think you might be going a long way with this attitude, but I am not sure where this "new" equals vison-less comes from?

Deed

Except that you reference the newest and most expensive DSLR's as "fabulous toys" and the basis for your entire point. If you need to have the most expensive camera gear to be confident, so be it.

I never said nor meant that! I am currently drooling (in a mild way...) over a Leica lens, 50/1.4 from 1961. Not exactly new as such.

You have a tendency to exaggerate? I mentioned gear, never said the latest and the greatest! Importance of gear, not importance of NEW gear.

Deed

Then your premise makes no sense. You are saying that "gear" gives you confidence, but then say it doesn't have to be better. You can't argue that older or cheaper gear = better by the way, not in general terms. And you're not going to inspire confidence in a model with your 1961 Leica.

 bruxi's gear list:bruxi's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 2,313Gear list
Like?
Re: Importance of gear ...
In reply to bruxi, 8 months ago

bruxi wrote:

bruxi wrote:

deednets wrote:

bruxi wrote:

Learning the principles of light or post processing will give you 100x better photos than a new body or lens.

Gear is the sad crutch of the lazy, vision-less photographer.

100x? is that a fact?

I take it you have good lighting?

I agree regarding a "new" body! I am not sure where this "new" comes into this, I was asking about the correlation between gear, then confidence then better photos - or not. Clearly you think there is nothing in it for you, right?

So you would go onto an Alaska photoshoot with an iPHONE? Or a G10? Regardless, because gear doesn't matter? And compensate with knowledge, light and PP?

I think you might be going a long way with this attitude, but I am not sure where this "new" equals vison-less comes from?

Deed

Except that you reference the newest and most expensive DSLR's as "fabulous toys" and the basis for your entire point. If you need to have the most expensive camera gear to be confident, so be it.

I never said nor meant that! I am currently drooling (in a mild way...) over a Leica lens, 50/1.4 from 1961. Not exactly new as such.

You have a tendency to exaggerate? I mentioned gear, never said the latest and the greatest! Importance of gear, not importance of NEW gear.

Deed

Then your premise makes no sense. You are saying that "gear" gives you confidence, but then say it doesn't have to be better. You can't argue that older or cheaper gear = better by the way, not in general terms. And you're not going to inspire confidence in a model with your 1961 Leica.

You keep on confusing better with new.

The Leica 1961 50/1.4 is a lens!

Deed

 deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bruxi
Regular MemberPosts: 251Gear list
Like?
Re: Importance of gear ...
In reply to deednets, 8 months ago

deednets wrote:

bruxi wrote:

bruxi wrote:

deednets wrote:

bruxi wrote:

Learning the principles of light or post processing will give you 100x better photos than a new body or lens.

Gear is the sad crutch of the lazy, vision-less photographer.

100x? is that a fact?

I take it you have good lighting?

I agree regarding a "new" body! I am not sure where this "new" comes into this, I was asking about the correlation between gear, then confidence then better photos - or not. Clearly you think there is nothing in it for you, right?

So you would go onto an Alaska photoshoot with an iPHONE? Or a G10? Regardless, because gear doesn't matter? And compensate with knowledge, light and PP?

I think you might be going a long way with this attitude, but I am not sure where this "new" equals vison-less comes from?

Deed

Except that you reference the newest and most expensive DSLR's as "fabulous toys" and the basis for your entire point. If you need to have the most expensive camera gear to be confident, so be it.

I never said nor meant that! I am currently drooling (in a mild way...) over a Leica lens, 50/1.4 from 1961. Not exactly new as such.

You have a tendency to exaggerate? I mentioned gear, never said the latest and the greatest! Importance of gear, not importance of NEW gear.

Deed

Then your premise makes no sense. You are saying that "gear" gives you confidence, but then say it doesn't have to be better. You can't argue that older or cheaper gear = better by the way, not in general terms. And you're not going to inspire confidence in a model with your 1961 Leica.

You keep on confusing better with new.

The Leica 1961 50/1.4 is a lens!

Deed

It sounds like you'll pretty much argue anything. A box of old FD lens is "gear", but that's not what you're talking about.  You like new gear - the brand new X-E2.  And you say it gives you confidence because of the latest technology in it - "the interface".  So it is new gear and the newest technology in that gear that is giving you confidence.  You can say "better" all day long, but you yourself are defining the absolute newest gear as the best, and I don't think most people would disagree with you.  The Fuji X-E2 is not a better camera, and I think you'll find the majority of people see advancements in camera technology as better.

 bruxi's gear list:bruxi's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 2,313Gear list
Like?
Re: Importance of gear ...
In reply to bruxi, 8 months ago

bruxi wrote:

deednets wrote:

bruxi wrote:

bruxi wrote:

deednets wrote:

bruxi wrote:

Learning the principles of light or post processing will give you 100x better photos than a new body or lens.

Gear is the sad crutch of the lazy, vision-less photographer.

100x? is that a fact?

I take it you have good lighting?

I agree regarding a "new" body! I am not sure where this "new" comes into this, I was asking about the correlation between gear, then confidence then better photos - or not. Clearly you think there is nothing in it for you, right?

So you would go onto an Alaska photoshoot with an iPHONE? Or a G10? Regardless, because gear doesn't matter? And compensate with knowledge, light and PP?

I think you might be going a long way with this attitude, but I am not sure where this "new" equals vison-less comes from?

Deed

Except that you reference the newest and most expensive DSLR's as "fabulous toys" and the basis for your entire point. If you need to have the most expensive camera gear to be confident, so be it.

I never said nor meant that! I am currently drooling (in a mild way...) over a Leica lens, 50/1.4 from 1961. Not exactly new as such.

You have a tendency to exaggerate? I mentioned gear, never said the latest and the greatest! Importance of gear, not importance of NEW gear.

Deed

Then your premise makes no sense. You are saying that "gear" gives you confidence, but then say it doesn't have to be better. You can't argue that older or cheaper gear = better by the way, not in general terms. And you're not going to inspire confidence in a model with your 1961 Leica.

You keep on confusing better with new.

The Leica 1961 50/1.4 is a lens!

Deed

It sounds like you'll pretty much argue anything. A box of old FD lens is "gear", but that's not what you're talking about. You like new gear - the brand new X-E2. And you say it gives you confidence because of the latest technology in it - "the interface". So it is new gear and the newest technology in that gear that is giving you confidence. You can say "better" all day long, but you yourself are defining the absolute newest gear as the best, and I don't think most people would disagree with you. The Fuji X-E2 is not a better camera, and I think you'll find the majority of people see advancements in camera technology as better.

The original post was a question, not a statement. I am on the fence on this one, but your argument that new = better, therefore I want it might apply to yourself but don't take this a sign that this should apply to anybody.

I did a shoot for a TV person here in NZ a couple of months ago and said that I was using a 30 year old lens for the shoot (Pentax Takumar 50/1.4 M42 mount). She found it fascinating that you can still do that ...

Another example? I bought a 4Mpx D2Hs after a 10Mpx D200, not newer for sure ... when the D300 came out. Better? Following your logic, no way, right ...

Will leave it at that, you believe what you want to believe, but I guess you are already doing that anyway.

Deed

 deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bruxi
Regular MemberPosts: 251Gear list
Like?
Re: Importance of gear ...
In reply to deednets, 8 months ago

deednets wrote:

bruxi wrote:

deednets wrote:

bruxi wrote:

bruxi wrote:

deednets wrote:

bruxi wrote:

Learning the principles of light or post processing will give you 100x better photos than a new body or lens.

Gear is the sad crutch of the lazy, vision-less photographer.

100x? is that a fact?

I take it you have good lighting?

I agree regarding a "new" body! I am not sure where this "new" comes into this, I was asking about the correlation between gear, then confidence then better photos - or not. Clearly you think there is nothing in it for you, right?

So you would go onto an Alaska photoshoot with an iPHONE? Or a G10? Regardless, because gear doesn't matter? And compensate with knowledge, light and PP?

I think you might be going a long way with this attitude, but I am not sure where this "new" equals vison-less comes from?

Deed

Except that you reference the newest and most expensive DSLR's as "fabulous toys" and the basis for your entire point. If you need to have the most expensive camera gear to be confident, so be it.

I never said nor meant that! I am currently drooling (in a mild way...) over a Leica lens, 50/1.4 from 1961. Not exactly new as such.

You have a tendency to exaggerate? I mentioned gear, never said the latest and the greatest! Importance of gear, not importance of NEW gear.

Deed

Then your premise makes no sense. You are saying that "gear" gives you confidence, but then say it doesn't have to be better. You can't argue that older or cheaper gear = better by the way, not in general terms. And you're not going to inspire confidence in a model with your 1961 Leica.

You keep on confusing better with new.

The Leica 1961 50/1.4 is a lens!

Deed

It sounds like you'll pretty much argue anything. A box of old FD lens is "gear", but that's not what you're talking about. You like new gear - the brand new X-E2. And you say it gives you confidence because of the latest technology in it - "the interface". So it is new gear and the newest technology in that gear that is giving you confidence. You can say "better" all day long, but you yourself are defining the absolute newest gear as the best, and I don't think most people would disagree with you. The Fuji X-E2 is not a better camera, and I think you'll find the majority of people see advancements in camera technology as better.

The original post was a question, not a statement. I am on the fence on this one, but your argument that new = better, therefore I want it might apply to yourself but don't take this a sign that this should apply to anybody.

I did a shoot for a TV person here in NZ a couple of months ago and said that I was using a 30 year old lens for the shoot (Pentax Takumar 50/1.4 M42 mount). She found it fascinating that you can still do that ...

Another example? I bought a 4Mpx D2Hs after a 10Mpx D200, not newer for sure ... when the D300 came out. Better? Following your logic, no way, right ...

Will leave it at that, you believe what you want to believe, but I guess you are already doing that anyway.

Deed

Well, my premise is that gear is actually overrated/overdiscussed, but that newer is better than older when it comes to gear (since it's technology after all).  Whatever makes people happy I guess - it's a hobby for most.

Photography is a little like golf.  There is a segment that underachieves because they think they've got the best gear so they can't do anything more to get better.

 bruxi's gear list:bruxi's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads