Class action lawsuit for false advertising?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Heaven is for real
Senior MemberPosts: 2,320Gear list
Like?
Class action lawsuit for false advertising?
9 months ago

Weather-sealed is one of the reasons I bought this camera  so I don't have to worry about rain or dust entering my A7 camera but now...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sonys-a7-and-a7r-cameras-are-not-dust-and-moisture-resistant/

This is quite deceptive for Sony to do this. Removing the weathersealed description on their website without informing the consumers!

Weather sealed

Heaven is for real's gear list:Heaven is for real's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +2 more
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 4,653Gear list
Like?
Re: Class action lawsuit for false advertising?
In reply to Heaven is for real, 9 months ago

Heaven is for real wrote:

Weather-sealed is one of the reasons I bought this camera so I don't have to worry about rain or dust entering my A7 camera but now...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sonys-a7-and-a7r-cameras-are-not-dust-and-moisture-resistant/

This is quite deceptive for Sony to do this. Removing the weathersealed description on their website without informing the consumers!

First off - this is on the "rumors" website. Second, it's been known for some time on the forums that there is very little if any weather proofing on this camera - I see no gaskets anywhere on mine. It could be that Sony only meant to say that it's components are very durable even if they get wet. Or it could be that they had intentions of producing this camera with gaskets but this feature didn't make it into the final production model.

But even more important, what about this makes us think the missing weather seal description wasn't just an oversight? I think we need to hear Sony's explanation first.

In other words, there are a lot of plausible explanations that make perfect sense before we go suing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,759Gear list
Like?
Sony still advertises dust and moisture resistance... (more)

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-us/products/o4j5/index.html#features

Click on "Supreme operability and durability" tab and scroll down near bottom.

Being "resistant" to something is very vague, and probably not tested to any great degree. Based on idiots pouring water over their cameras it seems to do okay, but not something I would ever do.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
Ridiculous

Weather-sealed is one of the reasons I bought this camera  so I don't have to worry about rain or dust entering my A7 camera but now...

Weather sealed

This is where SAR and a few from forums combine to come up with nonsense. The cameras are as advertised.

But if people think there is such thing as absolute protection, they need to read up on Roger Cicala's blog on the subject.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Tuloom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,466
Like?
Re: Sony still advertises dust and moisture resistance... (more)
In reply to viking79, 9 months ago

viking79 wrote:

Being "resistant" to something is very vague, and probably not tested to any great degree. Based on idiots pouring water over their cameras it seems to do okay, but not something I would ever do.

Eric

Party pooper.

The internet was about to sue and we were going to get all kinds of quality legal advice from people who aren't lawyers but know someone who is.

Prodding the masses is so pitifully easy. Tick, tick, tick goes the clicky counter.

viking79
Like?
Re: Ridiculous
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 9 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Weather-sealed is one of the reasons I bought this camera so I don't have to worry about rain or dust entering my A7 camera but now...

This is where SAR and a few from forums combine to come up with nonsense. The cameras are as advertised.

But if people think there is such thing as absolute protection, they need to read up on Roger Cicala's blog on the subject.

Actually, false advertising is a pretty serious offense. If you advertise something as being weather and dust resistant and sealed it better be.

I received an offer from Nissan to buy back my Nissan Juke or accept a check for $400 US or so since they had advertised the gas tank capacity as 13 gallons and it was really 11 gallons. I just took the check since I was well aware of the gas tank size when I bought it.

If the camera is in fact not dust or weather resistant Sony needs to offer to buy back cameras or offer some form of compensation. You can't just lie on advertisements.

I am no lawyer, and don't personally care, because I didn't buy it based on weather sealing.

Eric

Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Actually, false advertising is a pretty serious offense. If you advertise something as being weather and dust resistant and sealed it better be.

I received an offer from Nissan to buy back my Nissan Juke or accept a check for $400 US or so since they had advertised the gas tank capacity as 13 gallons and it was really 11 gallons. I just took the check since I was well aware of the gas tank size when I bought it.

If the camera is in fact not dust or weather resistant Sony needs to offer to buy back cameras or offer some form of compensation. You can't just lie on advertisements.

I am no lawyer, and don't personally care, because I didn't buy it based on weather sealing.

Eric

True. But somethig dust resistant would not guarantee dust proofing that, as Cicala demonstrated, makes for unpleasant surprises.

I think people tend to get carried away with assumptions that if something is resistant, they can subject it to elements carelessly and nothing should go wrong.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
sybersitizen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,822
Like?
So let's see...

Is this statement false?

'Carefree shooting in tough environments is yours thanks to comprehensive dust and moisture resistance measures that enhance reliability by helping to prevent water and dust from entering the body. These measures include sealing around the buttons and dials, as well as a protective double-layered structure that tightly interlocks panels and components.'

Jack Hass
Regular MemberPosts: 392Gear list
Like?

Malfunctioning dials, uneven mounts with light leaks, now this.... I am so glad I went another direction.

-- hide signature --

May Satan forever guide you.

Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 19,056Gear list
Like?
resistant is not the same as

weather proof or 100% dust proof, what if you use other lenses with adapters would it still be weather or dust proof.

example if i take my Nikon D300s or D700 both bodys are 100% proof the weak link can be a lens that is not 100% weather or dust proof, the seals are on the lenses and not all lenses have it.

all parts of the chain needs to be proofed.

pls people dont panic.

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +27 more
davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 4,110
Like?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Weather sealed

Agree.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug. Former 3 and F3 owner. Current proud 6 owner.
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,892
Like?
Hire Lionel Hutz

This is the most blatant case of false advertising since my suit against the movie The Neverending Story. - Lionel Hutz

And we all can relax and have a good laugh.

-- hide signature --

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter -- Winston Churchill

Heaven is for real
Like?
In reply to stevo23, 9 months ago

stevo23 wrote:

First off - this is on the "rumors" website. Second, it's been known for some time on the forums that there is very little if any weather proofing on this camera - I see no gaskets anywhere on mine. It could be that Sony only meant to say that it's components are very durable even if they get wet. Or it could be that they had intentions of producing this camera with gaskets but this feature didn't make it into the final production model.

But even more important, what about this makes us think the missing weather seal description wasn't just an oversight? I think we need to hear Sony's explanation first.

In other words, there are a lot of plausible explanations that make perfect sense before we go suing.

With all due respect, I read on the Sony store website when I purchased my Sony A7 and now, it has been deleted....

Nikon D7000 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +2 more
Heaven is for real
Like?

viking79 wrote:

Eric

Thanks for the link but why they removed it from the Sony store websites?

viking79
Like?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

True. But somethig dust resistant would not guarantee dust proofing that, as Cicala demonstrated, makes for unpleasant surprises.

I think people tend to get carried away with assumptions that if something is resistant, they can subject it to elements carelessly and nothing should go wrong.

This is very true. I take Sony's claims as it is probably fine with it to shoot in a light misting rain or snow, but not for an actual downpour. I am not sure why people are running them under tap water, as Sony made no such claims.

With my Pentax I had no issues taking my K-7 and DA* lens out in a driving rain, but that camera actually had weather seals, etc.

I do find it interesting that Sony deleted the claims from the main websites.

Eric

viking79
Like?

viking79 wrote:

Eric

Thanks for the link but why they removed it from the Sony websites?

Don't know, ask Sony.

The problem is anyone at the base level will not have any clue.  Need to get to a higher up person.

Eric

juvx
Contributing MemberPosts: 738Gear list
Like?
Re: Hire Lionel Hutz
In reply to forpetessake, 9 months ago

lol nice !

However the guys on digitalrev poured water all over the camera and it still worked just fine...

So try proving its NOT resistant. It doesn't say proof. Its a fine vague line that Sony can easily defend. Simply because it IS resistant. I haven't seen a single person on any forum that has said that it simply stopped working from a little rain or moisture yet have you?

juvx's gear list:juvx's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
LifeIsAVerb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,014
Like?

How stupid is this (from the SAR link)?

[[  Joe sent us this:

Sad to say that I can confirm that the a7R does exhibit light leak around the lens mount. This was reported on Sony’s Community site. To test it, put the body cap on, use either ISO25,6000 or ISO16,000 and take a 20-30″ exposure. Shine a flashlight/phone LED light around the lens mount. The image will show the leak at the 9 o’ clock position.
Here’s how mine look like at ISO16,000 and 30″ exposure:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/–exlz648TZ8/Uv3-kqaopuI/AAAAAAAAXzI/0ERlfxv_u74/w888-h593-no/a7R+Light+Leak+ISO16%252C000+at+30sec.jpg
Original thread:
http://community.sony.com/t5/Alpha-NEX-Cameras/A7-A7R-Light-leaks/td-p/254835 ]]

Really?! Someone expects a plastic body cap to be lightproof?

neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,539Gear list
Like?
I don't remember Sony using the word "completely"

Weather sealed

Since you are not happy, did you try returning the camera to get your money back?

Have you even asked Sony or are you looking for money?

I would have no problems taking the A7 and kit lens in light rain (would have a plastic bag in my pocket just in case)......heavy rain, now I am not dumb enough to use the camera in.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think Sony ever said the A7 was "COMPLETELY" weather sealed.

neil holmes's gear list:neil holmes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +15 more
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 4,653Gear list
Like?

stevo23 wrote:

With all due respect, I read on the Sony store website when I purchased my Sony A7 and now, it has been deleted....

Fair enough, but how does it constitute a legal dispute?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads