Let's vote: do you think mFT needs a lens forum at DPR?

Started Mar 3, 2014 | Polls
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,764Gear list
Like?
Let's vote: do you think mFT needs a lens forum at DPR?
Mar 3, 2014

I have been trying to follow this forum, but threads that do not get posts in 12 hours are gone from first page. This is the fastest moving forum at DPR, on average, since it serves two body brands with many models and myriads of lens brands. Certainly at least a lens form would be adequate, since there are many threads discussing lenses and how the fit the various bodies, etc.

Let's vote:

 rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
POLL
Yes, a separate mFT lens forum would be a great idea.
33.1% 46  votes
No, we don't need one, let's keep it all together as we have now.
57.6% 80  votes
Indifferent to me.
9.4% 13  votes
  Show results
Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 6,878Gear list
Like?
Yes (nt)
In reply to rhlpetrus, Mar 3, 2014
No text.
 Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D600
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pixnat2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,291Gear list
Like?
Why not?
In reply to rhlpetrus, Mar 3, 2014

That's a rather good idea!

A specific forum for m4/3 lens would lighten this forum and would be logical now that we have so many lenses available.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Frederic
http://azurphoto.com/

 Pixnat2's gear list:Pixnat2's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon D750 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?
Re: ONE system, ONE Forum!
In reply to rhlpetrus, Mar 3, 2014

rhlpetrus wrote:

I have been trying to follow this forum, but threads that do not get posts in 12 hours are gone from first page. This is the fastest moving forum at DPR, on average, since it serves two body brands with many models and myriads of lens brands. Certainly at least a lens form would be adequate, since there are many threads discussing lenses and how the fit the various bodies, etc.

Let's vote:

Let's not vote…

Keep it in ONE place. The last thing I want to do is hunt through multiple forums. Besides, there are many postings with questions and observations about lens and camera combos. How would you handle those? Post in both? Yeah, right. Great solution.

 jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 +26 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,648Gear list
Like?
Yes, it's about time...
In reply to rhlpetrus, Mar 3, 2014

With the large number of lenses (both OEM and 3rd party) currently available - and the other ones coming on line - this is long overdue.  Yes, we need a micro 4/3 lens forum big time, IMO.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

 Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P330 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,680Gear list
Like?
Re: Let's vote: do you think mFT needs a lens forum at DPR?
In reply to rhlpetrus, Mar 3, 2014

Who would be the target demographic of this forum? Those who want lenses but no body?

 Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom B.
Contributing MemberPosts: 843Gear list
Like?
Yes, good idea! (NT)
In reply to rhlpetrus, Mar 3, 2014
-- hide signature --

Tom

 Tom B.'s gear list:Tom B.'s gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
agentul
Contributing MemberPosts: 608Gear list
Like?
Re: Let's vote: do you think mFT needs a lens forum at DPR?
In reply to rhlpetrus, Mar 3, 2014

conspiracy theory: why is this issue brought up by someone that doesn't have any m4/3 gear in his/her list?

sensible opinion: it could help, there's a lot of activity, especially when products are being announced or launched. that way it would be easier for threads on different issues to receive attention.

 agentul's gear list:agentul's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mrc4nl
Regular MemberPosts: 253
Like?
m43 camera subforum would be better
In reply to rhlpetrus, Mar 3, 2014

Most topics are  camera related. Make a special camera forum.Oll the other stuff can go in the normal m43 foum

Like flashes lenses and stuff

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JoostL
Regular MemberPosts: 202
Like?
Re: Let's vote: do you think mFT needs a lens forum at DPR?
In reply to rhlpetrus, Mar 3, 2014

Brilliant! But now we're at it, why not at least THREE lens forums: Pana, Oly and Third Party??

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joseph T Lewis III
Senior MemberPosts: 2,222Gear list
Like?
I Agree: ONE Forum
In reply to jeffharris, Mar 3, 2014

jeffharris wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

I have been trying to follow this forum, but threads that do not get posts in 12 hours are gone from first page. This is the fastest moving forum at DPR, on average, since it serves two body brands with many models and myriads of lens brands. Certainly at least a lens form would be adequate, since there are many threads discussing lenses and how the fit the various bodies, etc.

Let's vote:

Let's not vote…

Keep it in ONE place. The last thing I want to do is hunt through multiple forums. Besides, there are many postings with questions and observations about lens and camera combos. How would you handle those? Post in both? Yeah, right. Great solution.

I agree with Jeff.  I have frequented this forum for years and find it very easy to use just the way it is.

A lot of the questions have to do with Olympus lenses on Panasonic bodies, and vice versa; e.g., does this lens produce more flare with an Oly body and less on a Panasonic?  Is this lens one of those that is allegedly prone to shutter shock on the XYZ body, but less so on the ABC body?  Which lens is best for the GM1?  How does the Panasonic lens' OIS interact with the Olympus IBIS? etc.   Having a separate lens forum would result in multiple posts, and/or force people to read through separate forums to see what was going on.

My vote is to keep things the way they currently are.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,764Gear list
Like?
Better wait and see this topic first
In reply to JoostL, Mar 3, 2014

JoostL wrote:

Brilliant! But now we're at it, why not at least THREE lens forums: Pana, Oly and Third Party??

I agree with that, but the voting would be confusing, better stick to what I see as most urgent. I'm interested mostly in lens discussions, bodies come and go very fast, lenses stay forever (or almost), the investment there requires a little more thought.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

 rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,764Gear list
Like?
Re: I Agree: ONE Forum
In reply to Joseph T Lewis III, Mar 3, 2014

Joseph T Lewis III wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

I have been trying to follow this forum, but threads that do not get posts in 12 hours are gone from first page. This is the fastest moving forum at DPR, on average, since it serves two body brands with many models and myriads of lens brands. Certainly at least a lens form would be adequate, since there are many threads discussing lenses and how the fit the various bodies, etc.

Let's vote:

Let's not vote…

Keep it in ONE place. The last thing I want to do is hunt through multiple forums. Besides, there are many postings with questions and observations about lens and camera combos. How would you handle those? Post in both? Yeah, right. Great solution.

I agree with Jeff. I have frequented this forum for years and find it very easy to use just the way it is.

A lot of the questions have to do with Olympus lenses on Panasonic bodies, and vice versa; e.g., does this lens produce more flare with an Oly body and less on a Panasonic? Is this lens one of those that is allegedly prone to shutter shock on the XYZ body, but less so on the ABC body? Which lens is best for the GM1? How does the Panasonic lens' OIS interact with the Olympus IBIS? etc. Having a separate lens forum would result in multiple posts, and/or force people to read through separate forums to see what was going on.

My vote is to keep things the way they currently are.

-- hide signature --

Tom

The debates on which lenses on which bodies will remain, in both forums. The problem now is that if you stay away for one day you miss a lot of the less polemic threads. Those that stay longer in the first page are usually the least interesting from a practical POV for those really interested in being up-to-date re lenses and bodies. They are just the typical "what do you think the future of m43 will be", "is Panny or Oly going out of business", "the end of APS-C" or "of FF", and so on.

But, obviously, we will se what the majority think, and then, maybe, DPR would act.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

 rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
iansmith
Regular MemberPosts: 326Gear list
Like?
Re: Let's vote: do you think mFT needs a lens forum at DPR?
In reply to rhlpetrus, Mar 3, 2014

Canon and Nikon are the only camera manufacturers with their own separate lens forums here.

I don't think mFT is big enough to need to split them.

Besides, you KNOW some people will post in the wrong forum about lenses.  And there will be posts that talk about lenses and bodies, and those will go in the main forum too.  So if you are really interested in lenses you will have to read both forums or miss out on a lot, so what's the point?  Just makes two forums to keep track of.

 iansmith's gear list:iansmith's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
morepix
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,357Gear list
Like?
Re: Let's vote: do you think mFT needs a lens forum at DPR?
In reply to rhlpetrus, Mar 3, 2014

Then a zoom lens forum and a prime lens forum, then further divide those into under 26mm and over 26mm, etc. ...

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

 morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
yyr
yyr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,705
Like?
What am I missing?
In reply to rhlpetrus, Mar 3, 2014

There is a button labelled 'Next'. When you click it it takes you to page 2. Click it again and it takes you to page 3 and so on and so on. But for some reason this is so difficult that we would find it easier to search two different forums?  What's the issue with moving off the first page?

-- hide signature --

Yaelle

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,680Gear list
Like?
Re: Let's vote: do you think mFT needs a lens forum at DPR?
In reply to morepix, Mar 3, 2014

morepix wrote:

Then a zoom lens forum and a prime lens forum, then further divide those into under 26mm and over 26mm, etc. ...

Absolutely, and one forum for exactly 26 mm.

 Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 5,130Gear list
Like?
Re: What am I missing?
In reply to yyr, Mar 3, 2014

yyr wrote:

There is a button labelled 'Next'. When you click it it takes you to page 2. Click it again and it takes you to page 3 and so on and so on. But for some reason this is so difficult that we would find it easier to search two different forums? What's the issue with moving off the first page?

Same sentiments here, but it is possible to miss a thread before pressing the next button, which is obviously not good.

If the forum is updated less frequently then this is less likely to happen, perhaps. For instance, if someone checks in once per day, and it can be reasonably expected that a new thread does not go to page 2 in a day's time, then it's probably easier for that person.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,680Gear list
Like?
Re: What am I missing?
In reply to tt321, Mar 3, 2014

tt321 wrote:

yyr wrote:

There is a button labelled 'Next'. When you click it it takes you to page 2. Click it again and it takes you to page 3 and so on and so on. But for some reason this is so difficult that we would find it easier to search two different forums? What's the issue with moving off the first page?

Same sentiments here, but it is possible to miss a thread before pressing the next button, which is obviously not good.

If the forum is updated less frequently then this is less likely to happen, perhaps. For instance, if someone checks in once per day, and it can be reasonably expected that a new thread does not go to page 2 in a day's time, then it's probably easier for that person.

That person will have to check two pages whether the threads are on two pages in one forum or one page each in two forums. If the posting frequency is not exactly divided between lenses and bodies, the likelihood of missing a thread is greater with two forums than with one.

 Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
yyr
yyr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,705
Like?
Re: Let's vote: do you think mFT needs a lens forum at DPR?
In reply to Ulric, Mar 3, 2014

Ulric wrote:

morepix wrote:

Then a zoom lens forum and a prime lens forum, then further divide those into under 26mm and over 26mm, etc. ...

Absolutely, and one forum for exactly 26 mm.

Yes - and I think that the Oly 75mm would deserve a forum of its own too!!

-- hide signature --

Yaelle

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads