Let's vote: do you think mFT needs a lens forum at DPR?

Started 9 months ago | Polls
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,507Gear list
Like?
Let's vote: do you think mFT needs a lens forum at DPR?
9 months ago

I have been trying to follow this forum, but threads that do not get posts in 12 hours are gone from first page. This is the fastest moving forum at DPR, on average, since it serves two body brands with many models and myriads of lens brands. Certainly at least a lens form would be adequate, since there are many threads discussing lenses and how the fit the various bodies, etc.

Let's vote:

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
POLL
Yes, a separate mFT lens forum would be a great idea.
33.1% 46  votes
No, we don't need one, let's keep it all together as we have now.
57.6% 80  votes
Indifferent to me.
9.4% 13  votes
  Show results
Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 5,869Gear list
Like?
Yes (nt)
In reply to rhlpetrus, 9 months ago
No text.
 Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pixnat2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,253Gear list
Like?
Why not?

That's a rather good idea!

A specific forum for m4/3 lens would lighten this forum and would be logical now that we have so many lenses available.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Frederic
http://azurphoto.com/

Pixnat2's gear list:Pixnat2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,824Gear list
Like?
Re: ONE system, ONE Forum!

rhlpetrus wrote:

I have been trying to follow this forum, but threads that do not get posts in 12 hours are gone from first page. This is the fastest moving forum at DPR, on average, since it serves two body brands with many models and myriads of lens brands. Certainly at least a lens form would be adequate, since there are many threads discussing lenses and how the fit the various bodies, etc.

Let's vote:

Let's not vote…

Keep it in ONE place. The last thing I want to do is hunt through multiple forums. Besides, there are many postings with questions and observations about lens and camera combos. How would you handle those? Post in both? Yeah, right. Great solution.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,354Gear list
Like?
Yes, it's about time...

With the large number of lenses (both OEM and 3rd party) currently available - and the other ones coming on line - this is long overdue.  Yes, we need a micro 4/3 lens forum big time, IMO.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Canon PowerShot G12 +30 more
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,635Gear list
Like?
Re: Let's vote: do you think mFT needs a lens forum at DPR?

Who would be the target demographic of this forum? Those who want lenses but no body?

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Tom B.
Contributing MemberPosts: 732Gear list
Like?
Yes, good idea! (NT)
-- hide signature --

Tom

Tom B.'s gear list:Tom B.'s gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +11 more
agentul
Contributing MemberPosts: 606Gear list
Like?

conspiracy theory: why is this issue brought up by someone that doesn't have any m4/3 gear in his/her list?

sensible opinion: it could help, there's a lot of activity, especially when products are being announced or launched. that way it would be easier for threads on different issues to receive attention.

agentul's gear list:agentul's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 +1 more
mrc4nl
Regular MemberPosts: 232
Like?
m43 camera subforum would be better

Most topics are  camera related. Make a special camera forum.Oll the other stuff can go in the normal m43 foum

Like flashes lenses and stuff

JoostL
Regular MemberPosts: 168
Like?

Brilliant! But now we're at it, why not at least THREE lens forums: Pana, Oly and Third Party??

Joseph T Lewis III
Senior MemberPosts: 1,711Gear list
Like?
I Agree: ONE Forum
In reply to jeffharris, 9 months ago

jeffharris wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

Let's vote:

Let's not vote…

Keep it in ONE place. The last thing I want to do is hunt through multiple forums. Besides, there are many postings with questions and observations about lens and camera combos. How would you handle those? Post in both? Yeah, right. Great solution.

I agree with Jeff.  I have frequented this forum for years and find it very easy to use just the way it is.

A lot of the questions have to do with Olympus lenses on Panasonic bodies, and vice versa; e.g., does this lens produce more flare with an Oly body and less on a Panasonic?  Is this lens one of those that is allegedly prone to shutter shock on the XYZ body, but less so on the ABC body?  Which lens is best for the GM1?  How does the Panasonic lens' OIS interact with the Olympus IBIS? etc.   Having a separate lens forum would result in multiple posts, and/or force people to read through separate forums to see what was going on.

My vote is to keep things the way they currently are.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
rhlpetrus
Like?
Better wait and see this topic first
In reply to JoostL, 9 months ago

JoostL wrote:

Brilliant! But now we're at it, why not at least THREE lens forums: Pana, Oly and Third Party??

I agree with that, but the voting would be confusing, better stick to what I see as most urgent. I'm interested mostly in lens discussions, bodies come and go very fast, lenses stay forever (or almost), the investment there requires a little more thought.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
rhlpetrus
Like?
Re: I Agree: ONE Forum
In reply to Joseph T Lewis III, 9 months ago

Joseph T Lewis III wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

Let's vote:

Let's not vote…

I agree with Jeff. I have frequented this forum for years and find it very easy to use just the way it is.

A lot of the questions have to do with Olympus lenses on Panasonic bodies, and vice versa; e.g., does this lens produce more flare with an Oly body and less on a Panasonic? Is this lens one of those that is allegedly prone to shutter shock on the XYZ body, but less so on the ABC body? Which lens is best for the GM1? How does the Panasonic lens' OIS interact with the Olympus IBIS? etc. Having a separate lens forum would result in multiple posts, and/or force people to read through separate forums to see what was going on.

My vote is to keep things the way they currently are.

-- hide signature --

Tom

The debates on which lenses on which bodies will remain, in both forums. The problem now is that if you stay away for one day you miss a lot of the less polemic threads. Those that stay longer in the first page are usually the least interesting from a practical POV for those really interested in being up-to-date re lenses and bodies. They are just the typical "what do you think the future of m43 will be", "is Panny or Oly going out of business", "the end of APS-C" or "of FF", and so on.

But, obviously, we will se what the majority think, and then, maybe, DPR would act.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

iansmith
Regular MemberPosts: 326Gear list
Like?

Canon and Nikon are the only camera manufacturers with their own separate lens forums here.

I don't think mFT is big enough to need to split them.

Besides, you KNOW some people will post in the wrong forum about lenses.  And there will be posts that talk about lenses and bodies, and those will go in the main forum too.  So if you are really interested in lenses you will have to read both forums or miss out on a lot, so what's the point?  Just makes two forums to keep track of.

iansmith's gear list:iansmith's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +4 more
morepix
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,190Gear list
Like?

Then a zoom lens forum and a prime lens forum, then further divide those into under 26mm and over 26mm, etc. ...

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10
yyr
yyr
Senior MemberPosts: 3,334
Like?
What am I missing?

There is a button labelled 'Next'. When you click it it takes you to page 2. Click it again and it takes you to page 3 and so on and so on. But for some reason this is so difficult that we would find it easier to search two different forums?  What's the issue with moving off the first page?

-- hide signature --

Yaelle

Ulric
Like?
In reply to morepix, 9 months ago

morepix wrote:

Then a zoom lens forum and a prime lens forum, then further divide those into under 26mm and over 26mm, etc. ...

Absolutely, and one forum for exactly 26 mm.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 4,140Gear list
Like?
Re: What am I missing?
In reply to yyr, 9 months ago

yyr wrote:

There is a button labelled 'Next'. When you click it it takes you to page 2. Click it again and it takes you to page 3 and so on and so on. But for some reason this is so difficult that we would find it easier to search two different forums? What's the issue with moving off the first page?

Same sentiments here, but it is possible to miss a thread before pressing the next button, which is obviously not good.

If the forum is updated less frequently then this is less likely to happen, perhaps. For instance, if someone checks in once per day, and it can be reasonably expected that a new thread does not go to page 2 in a day's time, then it's probably easier for that person.

Ulric
Like?
Re: What am I missing?
In reply to tt321, 9 months ago

tt321 wrote:

yyr wrote:

There is a button labelled 'Next'. When you click it it takes you to page 2. Click it again and it takes you to page 3 and so on and so on. But for some reason this is so difficult that we would find it easier to search two different forums? What's the issue with moving off the first page?

Same sentiments here, but it is possible to miss a thread before pressing the next button, which is obviously not good.

If the forum is updated less frequently then this is less likely to happen, perhaps. For instance, if someone checks in once per day, and it can be reasonably expected that a new thread does not go to page 2 in a day's time, then it's probably easier for that person.

That person will have to check two pages whether the threads are on two pages in one forum or one page each in two forums. If the posting frequency is not exactly divided between lenses and bodies, the likelihood of missing a thread is greater with two forums than with one.

yyr
yyr
Senior MemberPosts: 3,334
Like?
In reply to Ulric, 9 months ago

Ulric wrote:

morepix wrote:

Absolutely, and one forum for exactly 26 mm.

Yes - and I think that the Oly 75mm would deserve a forum of its own too!!

-- hide signature --

Yaelle

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads