DP1 / DP1s auction site mix-up

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
afterswish1
Contributing MemberPosts: 694
Like?
DP1 / DP1s auction site mix-up
8 months ago

I recently won an auction on the famous website for a DP1s, or at least that was what the auction title and production description said. The seller mentioned he'd had the camera for three years, and since DP1s was mentioned four times on the listing page I didn't imagine there'd be room for a mix-up.

The price was pretty good, and the seller also included a nice Sigma close-up lens. The camera that turned up though was the DP1 instead, as you can guess from my thread title.

Since I haven't tested either camera before I'm not sure what to do. Assuming the rest of the items included in the sale are present, and the camera is in good condition, what would you advise me to do? I do like taking photos in back-lit situations quite often, which is why I was specifically after the later model. Also the QS menu does sound useful, but perhaps those issues are not enough to warrant making a fuss about it. What do you think?

-- hide signature --

Gravity will make you crazy until you get the hang of it.

Sigma DP1 Sigma DP1s
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,593Gear list
Like?
Re: DP1 / DP1s auction site mix-up
In reply to afterswish1, 8 months ago

I sell things on ebay now and then.  I take pains to practice full disclosure and any other seller on any auction site ought to also.

To me, it seems that the camera was misrepresented and you should intiate a complaint thru the auction site.  But it might be nice to first contact the seller if possible and explain the issue.  It is remotely possible that the seller did not really know the difference.  No seller worth their salt would want a complaint arbitrated by the auction site.

If I saw a listing for a DP1s, and bought it but it turned out to be something different, I wouldn't like it.  The down side is of course that you will have to send all the stuff back, which is something maybe you would rather not do.  Maybe your best choice is to keep it.

It's completely up to you...

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rick decker
Forum ProPosts: 12,057
Like?

The 1 is tortuosly slow as there is not much if anything you can do with the camera while it is processing and writing an image. I have had all three but it was so long ago that I do't remember if the s took care of some of the performance issues or if it was the x that did so. Also I believe there were color issues that were improved upon.  If so I would give serious thought to  sending it back. You can always find another one.

Rick

-- hide signature --

http://www.rickdecker.photography
http://www.silveroaksranch.com
http://www.pbase.com/rickdecker
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak.

victorgv
Contributing MemberPosts: 897Gear list
Like?
In reply to rick decker, 8 months ago

As far as i know difference between 1 and 1s only in ir filtrer and coating of lense to reduce flare electronics are the same

victorgv's gear list:victorgv's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill
mike earussi
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,922
Like?
In reply to rick decker, 8 months ago

When listing a product on both eBay and Amazon you have to be careful of the automatic descriptions they like to add to your product (and which can sometimes be difficult to remove), as they are quite often wrong. So if that happened then the seller may not have realized that the description was wrong, though ultimately it is the sellers responsibility to check all the details for accuracy before posting.

SigmaTog
Contributing MemberPosts: 746
Like?
In reply to Tom Schum, 8 months ago

Tom Schum wrote:

I sell things on ebay now and then. I take pains to practice full disclosure and any other seller on any auction site ought to also.

To me, it seems that the camera was misrepresented and you should intiate a complaint thru the auction site. But it might be nice to first contact the seller if possible and explain the issue. It is remotely possible that the seller did not really know the difference. No seller worth their salt would want a complaint arbitrated by the auction site.

If I saw a listing for a DP1s, and bought it but it turned out to be something different, I wouldn't like it. The down side is of course that you will have to send all the stuff back, which is something maybe you would rather not do. Maybe your best choice is to keep it.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom, the man with all the ethics................

I would say 'Thank You' to someone that sent me a reply & a long detailed instructions on converting their camera too......wouldn't you ?

ΣigmaTog

mike earussi
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,922
Like?
PrebenR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,720
Like?

Send it back. DP1s also saved battery life. Qs is needed.
--
Lightwriting with Sigma

Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,460Gear list
Like?

1. Depends on how good a deal you got.

2. I see this same issue quite a bit with the DP cameras on eBay. As far as I know, the different models aren't marked differently. The place to check would be the logo by the serial #.

3. eBay has come a long way, Buyers have 5-10X protection than in the old days. It is always better to contact a seller first and give him or her the opportunity to make things right.

eke2k6
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?
In reply to Gesture, 8 months ago

For what it's worth, if you do decide to return the cam, I have an actual DP1s. Plus I include a lot more than just a macro filter:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3629939

*shameless self plug alert

Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,460Gear list
Like?
In reply to eke2k6, 8 months ago

Does it say DP2s anywhere on the camera? How do you distinguish the models?

SandyF
Forum ProPosts: 14,875Gear list
Like?

FWIW, I have an original DP1 and it's fine, still works well, takes wonderful photos.... But I just don't use it much as I have other Sigma cameras instead. My only complaint with my DP1 is that mysteriously it would drain out the battery when not in use... occasionally.... not all the time!

I think what action you take might depend upon the price.... if you got it at a really reasonable price, I'd say keep it. I'd be more interested in how many shots the owner had taken, is he the original owner... moreso than 's' or non 's'

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current)

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD9 +5 more
PrebenR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,720
Like?
In reply to Gesture, 8 months ago

Does it say DP2s anywhere on the camera? How do you distinguish the models?

No not DP2s, it says DP1s on top of the camera. Look at the pictures in the thread.
--
Lightwriting with Sigma

atom14
Senior MemberPosts: 1,344
Like?
Re: DP1 / DP1s auction site mix-up - and NOT your fault!

Complain immediately and succintly! Neither the seller nor the auction site should get away with this. It's either gross negligence or gross misrepresentation. And to you it's just gross.

But, do you have a link to the actual advertisement so that we  might check it out too?

atom14. - Highly ionized!

afterswish1
Like?
In reply to atom14, 8 months ago

I'm inclined to believe it was an honest mistake, based on the seller's rating and the fact that the site does offer a lot of protection for the buyer. If I'm allowed to post the original listing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171243692730?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It's fairly unequivocal in Ebay's description. The seller's description does not mention the model number though.

-- hide signature --

atom14
Like?

Gosh it's bad, though! The ad calls it a:

"Sigma DP1s 14.0 MP Digital SLR Camera"

You cannot have DP1S and SLR in the same item description. Did you not notice at the time?

I still think some recourse to Ebay should be made though.

OK, if you get all that in the kit I suppose you could justify the price... at a stretch.

I'm not saying you got a lemon, as the DP1 - I have one - has great image quality. It's just the sloppy ad that I find irksome.

atom14.

afterswish1
Like?
In reply to atom14, 8 months ago

Hi Atom. Yes I noticed the SLR reference but it didn't concern me: I assumed that as the DP1/DP1s offer DSLR image quality (or better?!), I thought that adding this reference, presumably to get more interest, was fair enough.

-- hide signature --

atom14
Like?

IMO it is substantively wrong, either by the advertiser or by Ebay in not checking - to whatever extent they do.

I can only reiterate my message: if you don't wan thte item I think you have strong grounds for a refund. For myself - I'm not saying you have to - I would set the record straight with all parties, whether you keep the items or not.

atom14.

Tom Schum
Like?
In reply to SigmaTog, 8 months ago

SigmaTog wrote:

Tom Schum wrote:

I sell things on ebay now and then. I take pains to practice full disclosure and any other seller on any auction site ought to also.

To me, it seems that the camera was misrepresented and you should intiate a complaint thru the auction site. But it might be nice to first contact the seller if possible and explain the issue. It is remotely possible that the seller did not really know the difference. No seller worth their salt would want a complaint arbitrated by the auction site.

If I saw a listing for a DP1s, and bought it but it turned out to be something different, I wouldn't like it. The down side is of course that you will have to send all the stuff back, which is something maybe you would rather not do. Maybe your best choice is to keep it.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

I would say 'Thank You' to someone that sent me a reply & a long detailed instructions on converting their camera too......wouldn't you ?

ΣigmaTog

By the way, thanks for the reply! And I might know a little about what is ethical but carrying it out every day is a shaky proposition. Having sold 2-3 items on an auction site would make anyone an expert, so I must be an expert. Fortunately expertise is not a prerequisite for posting on this forum.

If you sent me long detailed instructions on converting my camera plese re-send them because I don't remember. It's nice to be getting older: the guilt about not remembering things is not so strong anymore.

Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Tom Schum
Like?

Tom Schum wrote:

SigmaTog wrote:

Tom Schum wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

ΣigmaTog

By the way, thanks for the reply! And I might know a little about what is ethical but carrying it out every day is a shaky proposition. Having sold 2-3 items on an auction site would make anyone an expert, so I must be an expert. Fortunately expertise is not a prerequisite for posting on this forum.

If you sent me long detailed instructions on converting my camera plese re-send them because I don't remember. It's nice to be getting older: the guilt about not remembering things is not so strong anymore.

Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Oops, found it embedded in another thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53204393

I didn't pursue it because I changed my mind about converting my DP2.  But, thanks anyway for the details.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads