So Long Fuji

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Chrisd999
Contributing MemberPosts: 601Gear list
Like?
So Long Fuji
4 months ago

After spending the past year or so shooting with the X-E1/2 and a variety of XF lenses, I decided a week ago to swap all my Fuji gear for the Sony A7R and a couple of lenses, since the opportunity unexpectedly presented itself.

The purpose of my post is to say good-bye to the Fuji X series community here, which is the most civil and pleasant sub-forum I have had the pleasure of participating with at DPR.

So why did I switch? Although I am only an enthusiast, my main hobby is landscape and travel photography, and I was drawn back by the allure of the 36MP FF sensor found in the A7R (and D800 - my system prior to Fuji), and the amazing detailed images and DR these sensors provide. In addition, there are a couple of specialty features on the A7R suited to landscape shooting not found on any of the Fuji X cameras. This is not to say the Fuji X is not good for landscape photography, because it is very good, and I have produced some of my best images with it. In fact, I was very tempted to purchase the upcoming X-T1 and XF 10-24, but I figured by the time I laid out another $2,300 for that pair, I could invest a lot less into a system swap (I traded used for used) over to the A7R, and end up with the sensor and feature set that better suits my specialized needs.

After spending the past week testing and shooting the A7R, I have to say that while I love the extra detail in the images, in many regards I deeply miss the ease of use shooting with my Fuji X-E2 and the fabulous array of XF lenses (my favourite was the XF14mm). The Fuji X system is an innovative system that is finally maturing to the point where I believe it is now the best camera system choice for the majority of photographers, with the minor exception of those pushing the limits of specialty photography including sports, wildlife, landscape.

So long Fuji, it's been fun.

Chrisd999's gear list:Chrisd999's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +3 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Andy Dan
Regular MemberPosts: 113Gear list
Like?
Re: So Long Fuji
In reply to Chrisd999, 4 months ago

The good news for you is that Sony will launch a Zeiss uwa zoom this year or at the begining of 2015 (rumored to be a 16-35 f4). The bad news is that Sony is not committed to customers like Fuji (no firmware updates) and are not to be trusted regarding their plans on long term.

I wish you good luck in your endeavour!

Andy Dan's gear list:Andy Dan's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Simon Elwell
Regular MemberPosts: 268Gear list
Like?

fair enough - enjoy the Sonys

Simon Elwell's gear list:Simon Elwell's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Leica Macro-Elmar-M 90mm f/4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
flbrit
Senior MemberPosts: 2,867Gear list
Like?
Enjoy your passion ........ NT
No text.
 flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D5200 +2 more
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,615
Like?
I'm new to Fuji, but agree with you about the forum.

I too have noticed that the Fuji forum is perhaps the most civil one that I have had the pleasure of interacting with.

gerard boulanger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,262Gear list
Like?

Good for you. The Sony A7(r) bodies are very compact even if they host a FF sensor. Frankly, I thought I would switch too, but I am not buying a body with no shutter speed dial on top and also because the choice of lenses is, for now, limited.

And.... because the X lenses are very good and compact.

Good luck.

gerard boulanger's gear list:gerard boulanger's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
jack Hoggard
Contributing MemberPosts: 821Gear list
Like?

Good luck, and we'll see you when the FF X-Pro1 arrives.  

-- hide signature --

jaxupra

jack Hoggard's gear list:jack Hoggard's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +3 more
Ednaz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,347
Like?
Bonne chance! Keep on switching!

If you switch systems every time one of them gets a couple of edges on the others, you'll spend all your money on switching losses, instead of building a deep lens line and staying on the state of the art bodies.  I've been shooting Nikon since the D1, and every year or two Canon gets something really right and people post a gazillion "goodbye nikon" posts, and a year later Nikon passes, and the Canon forums are full of "goodbye canon" posts.

Learning how to make great images with whatever system you have would be a much better investment of time and money.  I financed a reasonably active auto racing hobby for 15 years by selling my (winning) cars to people who thought that owning the right hardware was the secret to winning.  The buyers were always baffled as to why they still couldn't catch me even though they had my multiple race winning car.

I've swept professional photographer juried competitions with images from micro 4/3 and compact cameras, against people shooting with Phase One and Hasselblad backs.  Just like with race cars, investing in increasing the skills of the control system (driver or photographer) beats investing in hardware any day.

Hope Sony gets around to building out a proper lens line for you. They seem very hypnotized by f2.8. Not so good.

ck22
Regular MemberPosts: 263
Like?
Re: Bonne chance! Keep on switching!
In reply to Ednaz, 4 months ago

Good Bye but hope to see you back soon.

I must agree that the Fuji forum gang is the most pleasant and comments are most welcome and very encouraging.

My first digi cam is Fuji A210 and now F200EXR. All the while Fuji forum is the one that has given me critical and yet open comments.

I am also having a D7000 and been posting on there but comments there are really criticizing you to the point that I do wonder if they know how to appreciate photos.

Maybe Asian taste and US taste is different but only Fuji pals here know how to appreciate. I am looking at my first X-series. I hope to decide on a XT1 or XE2 soon. Hope to post here soon.

Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,114Gear list
Like?
Re: So Long Fuji - a question

Hi,

I'm into hiking, landscape and travel too and have been considering both the XT1 and the A7r.  (I'd probably have bought an XT1 already if they were available in the shops in Australia yet).  Just out of interest, and apart from the 36mpx FF sensor, what 'specialty features' on the A7r did you feel made the camera better suited to landscape use than the X series?

Thanks, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Afandi Hj Mahat
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?

Good luck in your new system. Be it what ever system you use, keep snapping and enjoy your passion. Hope you could share your experience with your new system with us here.

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,000Gear list
Like?
How methodical was the decision

Whatever works. Unless their is something that the current camera can not do that it needs to be replaced you loose on the re-sale again.

Mirrorless as a whole is so new.

Here are the Cons on the Sony via DPREVIEW

• Autofocus can be slow in low light
  • Auto ISO tends to keep shutter speed at 1/FL sec, often resulting in soft images
  • High-res sensor requires dedicated approach to shooting
  • JPEG quality not as good as we'd like to see (less relevant for this camera's market though)
  • Limited selection of FE lenses
  • Tools for shooting with third party lenses need improvement
  • Long viewfinder blackout time
  • Longer-than-average startup times
  • Camera 'locks up' while buffer is clearing after continuous shooting
  • Overly sensitive eye sensor (also stays active when screen is tilted)
  • Lacks a built-in flash
  • Short battery life
  • Exposure compensation and rear scroll wheel too easy to bump accidentally
  • Menu arrangement poor and navigation a bit clunky (requires a lot of button-pressing)
  • No in-camera Raw conversion
  • No external charger included for rapid charging or keeping a spare battery topped-up
  • Included remote capture software lacks live preview

One issue is JPEG performance looks to be not as good as Fuji. Battery life sucks. Poor menu navigation,camera locks up (thats really bad), and so forth.

If these are not deal breakers then you made a good decision. I would have gone back to Nikon before Sony, but did you really give Fuji a chance?

It also sounds like sensor size was the main reason, but that is minor if the rest of the camera is poor and that is what the reviews sound like.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Mike Guffin
Regular MemberPosts: 269Gear list
Like?

Love these 'good-bye' posts... wish there was a way to permanently fix it so you can't ever post in this forum again... even after you return to Fuji... Bye-Bye...

Mike Guffin's gear list:Mike Guffin's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Miamistan
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?
in this case decision seems good
In reply to Mike Guffin, 4 months ago

I believe a portable ff 36 mm camera at sonys price makes sense. Landscape seems to be only thing sony does well. Their viewfinder smears while panning sports and skin tones are poor. I would have gotten d610 just a better camera but for landscapes as sony is just fine

Miamistan's gear list:Miamistan's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D5100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C +14 more
Chrisd999
Like?
In reply to Andy Dan, 4 months ago

Andy Dan wrote:

The good news for you is that Sony will launch a Zeiss uwa zoom this year or at the begining of 2015 (rumored to be a 16-35 f4). The bad news is that Sony is not committed to customers like Fuji (no firmware updates) and are not to be trusted regarding their plans on long term.

I wish you good luck in your endeavour!

Thanks Andy. This is the biggest concern I have with the Sony right now that there are no decent UWA options. I picked up the Samyang 14mm, nice bit no filters. It will have to do for now.

Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +3 more
Chrisd999
Like?
Re: So Long Fuji - a question
In reply to Rod McD, 4 months ago

Rod McD wrote:

Hi,

I'm into hiking, landscape and travel too and have been considering both the XT1 and the A7r. (I'd probably have bought an XT1 already if they were available in the shops in Australia yet). Just out of interest, and apart from the 36mpx FF sensor, what 'specialty features' on the A7r did you feel made the camera better suited to landscape use than the X series?

Thanks, Rod

The two that come to mind are increased AE bracketing, and ability to zoom much deeper in playback mode to check critical focus (in RAW only). I though that Fuji would have fixed these in firmware by now. I'm sure they will one day.

Chrisd999
Like?
Re: How methodical was the decision
In reply to ryan2007, 4 months ago

ryan2007 wrote:

Whatever works. Unless their is something that the current camera can not do that it needs to be replaced you loose on the re-sale again.

Mirrorless as a whole is so new.

• Auto ISO tends to keep shutter speed at 1/FL sec, often resulting in soft images
  • JPEG quality not as good as we'd like to see (less relevant for this camera's market though)
  • Lacks a built-in flash
  • Short battery life
  • Menu arrangement poor and navigation a bit clunky (requires a lot of button-pressing)
  • No external charger included for rapid charging or keeping a spare battery topped-up

One issue is JPEG performance looks to be not as good as Fuji. Battery life sucks. Poor menu navigation,camera locks up (thats really bad), and so forth.

If these are not deal breakers then you made a good decision. I would have gone back to Nikon before Sony, but did you really give Fuji a chance?

It also sounds like sensor size was the main reason, but that is minor if the rest of the camera is poor and that is what the reviews sound like.

Ryan, that sums it up pretty good. Not worried about JPG. But I absolutely agree that the current slate of Fuji cameras are much more refined tools than the Sony A7/R.

nostatic
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, 4 months ago

ryan2007 wrote:

• Lacks a built-in flash
  • Short battery life

I don't understand why anyone who owns an A7(r) would shoot jpg (except for a very few special circumstances like guys who are shooting 1K+ images a day and need to ship them to clients). If you're going for that camera, presumably you want the best IQ you can get and the most control over the files.

As for the other negatives, some are issues that are shared by many other cameras including Fuji. No perfect camera - rather whichever system has compromises that you can live with. A few months ago the A7(r) was the darling of the bloggers. Now people are seeing some warts. Right now the XT1 is the new hype king. In a few months you'll see the warts getting reported (already is starting). The real problem is the amount of hype that gets heaped on these technological marvels, and the resulting failing of expectation management by the buyers.

You can try to make an informed decision, but in the end until you shoot with it, you don't know if it will work for you. Sometimes tools surprise you and you're willing to adapt. Other times right out of the gate it just doesn't work for you. And some are just interested in messing with gear - which is OK too. No single right reason to buy a piece of gear. Sometimes logic doesn't rule the day though. Something quirky can catch your imagination, and either it just works, or you will make it work. That certainly seems to be the case with Fuji, and it happens with other brands as well.

Life is too short to be dogmatic about these things. You only go around once and you're dead a long time. If you want to try something new, go for it. Just don't expect it to necessarily save the day.

nostatic
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?

A7r is capable of creating spectacular files. It requires that the user pays attention to what is going on, and you need *really* good glass to make it work. The 55/1.8 is such a lens. For landscape you'll want wider and right now that means you'll have to adapt something but there are a lot of options.

Graham Plain
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
In reply to Mike Guffin, 4 months ago

Mike Guffin wrote:

Love these 'good-bye' posts... wish there was a way to permanently fix it so you can't ever post in this forum again... even after you return to Fuji... Bye-Bye...

This comment is uncalled for.

Hundminen's post is not a rant against Fuji. He's made a decision to move to a Sony A7, and for landscape photography I don't think you can fault that decision. His post was basically a 'so long and thanks for all the fish' post, thanking the forum members for the good times he's had as part of the forum and saying goodbye.

All the  aggression and ill-feeling in this thread has come from you.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads