24-70 F4 blows away my kit lens

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,869
Like?
24-70 F4 blows away my kit lens
4 months ago

Not that scientific but its what I would see in my day to days shots!

I had read lots of conflicting reports about how this lens performs at 24mm so thought I would compare with the kit lens, I was apprehensive as I thought I may see little or no difference.

However I was pleasantly surprised

Not tack sharp by any means but certainly much better than my kit lens at the edges and anywhere away from the centre, at the centre at all focal ranges they are very similar when it come to sharpness.

24-70 100% crop

28-70 100% crop

24-70 100% crop

28-70 100% crop

24-70 100% crop

28-70 100% crop

24-70 100% crop

28-70 100% crop

24-70 100% crop

28-70 100% crop

24-70 100% crop

28-70 100% crop

28-70 100% crop

24-70 100% crop

sassenach74
Regular MemberPosts: 375Gear list
Like?
Re: 24-70 F4 blows away my kit lens
In reply to ianbrown, 4 months ago

You've bought an A7R......again? Bizarre.

-- hide signature --

Neil.

sassenach74's gear list:sassenach74's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WoodWorks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,324
Like?

How careful were to to focus on the same spot? Some of those, especially the f/5.6 shots, are so different that it's difficult to believe that they were focused the same.

But since I'l be getting my 24-70 this week, I'm happy to believe that you did. 

David

-- hide signature --

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows
--Epictetus

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,160Gear list
Like?

My first 28-70mm was about the same as the 24-70mm f/4 I am renting, but my second 28-70mm is better on the right side then the 24-70mm f/4, but much worse on the left.  I had to send the first back to have my broken camera kit returned.  Unfortunately it was a much better sample.

I think Sony should include the 24-70mm as a kit lens with the A7R.

My favorite part about the 24-70mm is the build quality, very nicely made, pretty thick metal alloy, which is still very light.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,907Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, 4 months ago

viking79 wrote:

My first 28-70mm was about the same as the 24-70mm f/4 I am renting, but my second 28-70mm is better on the right side then the 24-70mm f/4, but much worse on the left. I had to send the first back to have my broken camera kit returned. Unfortunately it was a much better sample.

My favorite part about the 24-70mm is the build quality, very nicely made, pretty thick metal alloy, which is still very light.

Eric

I hoped, and expected that the 24-70 would perform much better than the kit 28-70.

Steve

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
ianbrown
Like?
In reply to sassenach74, 4 months ago

sassenach74 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Neil.

Full of useful info as usual !!!!

ianbrown
Like?
In reply to WoodWorks, 4 months ago

WoodWorks wrote:

How careful were to to focus on the same spot? Some of those, especially the f/5.6 shots, are so different that it's difficult to believe that they were focused the same.

David

-- hide signature --

--Epictetus

All focused as accurate as I could using tripod, OS off and self timer

Ian

ianbrown
Like?
In reply to captura, 4 months ago

captura wrote:

viking79 wrote:

My first 28-70mm was about the same as the 24-70mm f/4 I am renting, but my second 28-70mm is better on the right side then the 24-70mm f/4, but much worse on the left. I had to send the first back to have my broken camera kit returned. Unfortunately it was a much better sample.

Eric

I hoped, and expected that the 24-70 would perform much better than the kit 28-70.

Steve

Me to although there appears to be copy variations on both!

Ian

Stu 5
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,265
Like?

ianbrown wrote:

WoodWorks wrote:

David

-- hide signature --

--Epictetus

Ian

In that case your 28-70 looks like it is faulty. No it will not be as good as the 24-70 but it should be better than this, at least in the centre.

Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,440Gear list
Like?
In reply to Stu 5, 4 months ago

Stu 5 wrote:

ianbrown wrote:

WoodWorks wrote:

David

-- hide signature --

--Epictetus

Ian

In that case your 28-70 looks like it is faulty. No it will not be as good as the 24-70 but it should be better than this, at least in the centre.

Agreed. My 28-70 looks much better in the center.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Scottish Dave
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?

ianbrown wrote:

WoodWorks wrote:

David

-- hide signature --

--Epictetus

Ian

Surprised to hear that you were using a tripod... some of those kit lens shots looked like motion blur I thought. Glad the 24-70 is a good upgrade for you though - I must rent one to check it out.

Mel Snyder
Like?

ianbrown wrote:

captura wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Eric

Steve

Me to although there appears to be copy variations on both!

Ian

Which is why I hit the brakes on buying my 24-70 now. Yours looks like a great copy - and I was one who, up until the FE lenses, didn't believe in "bad copies."

But some FE lenses look great, others scary. For my $1200, I expect great. I plan to order mine in mid-April from B&H, and if it's not great, walk it in and swap it out until I get a great one. I got too good a kit to swap it out for less.

Mel

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,758Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mel Snyder, 4 months ago

There does seem to be great variation in published photos from both lenses which is worrying. The pics shown seem to suggest that the standard kit is deliberately poor in order to drive people to buy the more expensive Zeiss-Sony.

TommieH
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?

ianbrown wrote:

sassenach74 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Neil.

Full of useful info as usual !!!!

What he probably mean is probably that it's odd to buy such an expensive camera without knowing stuff like that a kit lens is always worse then a non-kit lens. Or that being surprised by it is a bit on the odd side when one go buy an expensive FF.

-- hide signature --

Tommie

martindesu
Contributing MemberPosts: 950Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, 4 months ago

My first 28-70mm was about the same as the 24-70mm f/4 I am renting, but my second 28-70mm is better on the right side then the 24-70mm f/4, but much worse on the left.  I had to send the first back to have my broken camera kit returned.  Unfortunately it was a much better sample.

Eric

They do offer this lens as a kit with A7R in Japan... selling quite well I hear.
--
Martin
http://www.martinirwinphotography.com
http://www.flickr.com/martindesu

martindesu's gear list:martindesu's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +2 more
Richt2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,897Gear list
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, 4 months ago

Keit ll wrote:

There does seem to be great variation in published photos from both lenses which is worrying. The pics shown seem to suggest that the standard kit is deliberately poor in order to drive people to buy the more expensive Zeiss-Sony.

Oh there are duff copies out there, just like Canon's lenses.

I've owned two 24-70/4 lenses. The first was one a Japanese import from ebay, first batch available in Japan. It was soft and decentered on the right of the frame.

my second was a UK lens, part of the delayed european release.

This one is perfect and very very sharp, with very acceptable corners even at 24mm

Richt2000's gear list:Richt2000's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +9 more
Ramius
Forum MemberPosts: 77
Like?
In reply to martindesu, 4 months ago

I think this is a rather good comparison.

It seems to demonstrate about the same quality difference I experienced with Canons kit lens versus their L-optics back in the day. v

Although it would have been nice to know the shutter speed here. Because in the grass there, it looks like motion blur. But it might just as well be the lack of glass quality in the kit lens. In the majority of the shots, you can see that they appear to be focused equally.

Mel Snyder
Like?
In reply to Richt2000, 4 months ago

Richt2000 wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

Oh there are duff copies out there, just like Canon's lenses.

I've owned two 24-70/4 lenses. The first was one a Japanese import from ebay, first batch available in Japan. It was soft and decentered on the right of the frame.

my second was a UK lens, part of the delayed european release.

This one is perfect and very very sharp, with very acceptable corners even at 24mm

-- hide signature --

Thank you! My conclusion precisely.

I was about to pull the trigger on the 24-70 last week - and decided to hold off a month based on what I was seeing here. I got a good kit, and want to make sure that if I spring for a $1200 lens - the most I have ever spent on a lens - it is going to be AMAZING.

Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,381
Like?
In reply to Mel Snyder, 4 months ago

The QC control issues in recent Sony lenses is frightening !!

I was blessed with a great 16-70/4, but am shocked to see how many poor 16-70 and 24-70 copies there are out there, we're talking 1000 to 1200 optics !!! This is shameful.

-- hide signature --

"If you don't have an expression, you don't have a shot" - Peter Hurley.
http://itsnotthecamera.wordpress.com/

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

ianbrown wrote:

Not that scientific but its what I would see in my day to days shots!

I had read lots of conflicting reports about how this lens performs at 24mm so thought I would compare with the kit lens, I was apprehensive as I thought I may see little or no difference.

However I was pleasantly surprised

Not tack sharp by any means but certainly much better than my kit lens at the edges and anywhere away from the centre, at the centre at all focal ranges they are very similar when it come to sharpness.

24-70 100% crop

28-70 100% crop

24-70 100% crop

28-70 100% crop

24-70 100% crop

28-70 100% crop

24-70 100% crop

28-70 100% crop

24-70 100% crop

28-70 100% crop

24-70 100% crop

28-70 100% crop

28-70 100% crop

24-70 100% crop

It looks like you have a decent copy of 24-70z.. and a indecent copy of 28-70.

5nex7's gear list:5nex7's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +54 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads