Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Ed at Ridersite
Forum ProPosts: 15,691
Like?
Re: Question on the hood
In reply to KVanhoogen, 8 months ago

KVanhoogen wrote:

Do you leave it on all the time?

Yes, it's always on.  I don't use a filter, so it serves as protection for the lens.

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KVanhoogen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,340Gear list
Like?
Mine is always on in transit...but
In reply to Ed at Ridersite, 8 months ago

Do you keep it on while shooting (sunny, cloudy, rainy, etc.)?

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Kim VH

KVanhoogen's gear list:KVanhoogen's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +3 more
Alan_S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,458Gear list
Like?
Re: Mine is always on in transit...but

KVanhoogen wrote:

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Kim VH

Personally, since my own eyes benefit outdoors from the shade of a hand or a hat, I try to give the image sensor the same benefit. Plus it acts as a bumper-guard against damage (am in the same camp with Ed on the protection). The only time I shoot with it off is in the rare circumstance where I think removing it would actually improve the shot, such as a windy tripod shot in overcast/shady conditions, where a strong wind is striking from an inopportune direction, to cut down on wind vibration.

-- hide signature --

- AlanS

Alan_S's gear list:Alan_S's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more
Ed at Ridersite
Forum ProPosts: 15,691
Like?
Re: Mine is always on in transit...but

KVanhoogen wrote:

Yes, it's always on - regardless of conditions.

-- hide signature --

AEH

Dirk W
Senior MemberPosts: 1,566Gear list
Like?
Re: Show Your Favorite Image Captured With Your 70-400mm G / G2
In reply to William Curtindale, 8 months ago

Taken yesterday. I love this lens.

Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N A3000 +18 more
William Curtindale
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,786Gear list
Like?
Dirk W: Show Your Favorite Image Captured With Your 70-400mm G / G2
In reply to Dirk W, 8 months ago

Beautiful colors, sharpness and bokeh.  Yes, very lice and I understand why you love this lens (me too).

Thanks for sharing

Dirk W wrote:

Taken yesterday. I love this lens.

-- hide signature --

A99, A900, A700, R1, w/Zeiss + Sony G Glass
My Picasa Albums: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/109849611643818398019/albums My YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/TheWillybug

William Curtindale's gear list:William Curtindale's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A99 +15 more
Michael Fritzen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,670
Like?
Re: Work in progress
In reply to nandbytes, 8 months ago

nandbytes wrote:

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

I like the treatment, but there is too much motion blur.

-- hide signature --

AEH

Yes 1/200 with a moving lion on beastly lens at 400mm is not ideal lol

But I will work on that part thank you for the feedback and glad you like the treatment.

Hi,

I think you noticed in this shot what are two important points to take care of when shooting with the 70-400 beast to explore all of its optical finess and potentials: 1) short enough exposure time to avoid image blur caused by both handshake and subject movement; 2) shallow DOF at 400mm and f/5.6. Congrats for "seeing" this great subject and also congrats for the overall exposure and tones which seem to me spot on.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,490Gear list
Like?
Can I join in?

all shot with a77 and mk 1. Can't decide which between them is my favourite

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +1 more
nandbytes
Senior MemberPosts: 3,435Gear list
Like?
The hood of this lens is actually useful.

I have tried it with it on and off and it helps me with flare. I have also used it to rest my lens on things to get some stability (perhaps not the intended use).

I don't have it "on" i.e. the right side up in my bag as it doesn't support that. But in what little I have used this lens I have almost always had it on.

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony a77 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +3 more
nandbytes
Senior MemberPosts: 3,435Gear list
Like?
Re: Work in progress
In reply to Michael Fritzen, 8 months ago

Michael Fritzen wrote:

nandbytes wrote:

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

I like the treatment, but there is too much motion blur.

-- hide signature --

AEH

Yes 1/200 with a moving lion on beastly lens at 400mm is not ideal lol

But I will work on that part thank you for the feedback and glad you like the treatment.

Hi,

I think you noticed in this shot what are two important points to take care of when shooting with the 70-400 beast to explore all of its optical finess and potentials: 1) short enough exposure time to avoid image blur caused by both handshake and subject movement; 2) shallow DOF at 400mm and f/5.6. Congrats for "seeing" this great subject and also congrats for the overall exposure and tones which seem to me spot on.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Thanks for the tips, I will work on them

Also thanks for the compliments on the subject and tones

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony a77 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +3 more
William Curtindale
Like?
Marco Cinnirella: Can I join in?
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, 8 months ago

By all means join the fun and sharing of techniques and ideas.

All images are beautiful.  I am not sure if they are HDR or just some nice post processing.  I really like how the aircraft images seem to pop out and the colors are really nice (last image is my favorite).

Thanks for sharing some 70-400mm images.

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

all shot with a77 and mk 1. Can't decide which between them is my favourite

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

-- hide signature --

My Picasa Albums: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/109849611643818398019/albums My YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/TheWillybug

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A99 +15 more
Dirk W
Like?
Re: Dirk W: Show Your Favorite Image Captured With Your 70-400mm G / G2

Thank you, William.

Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N A3000 +18 more
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,490Gear list
Like?
Re: Marco Cinnirella: Can I join in?

Thanks.

I should add that I find the lens tricky at times and I have 50% misses and 50% keepers with my copy much of the time for reasons that sometimes elude me. I stopped using my expensive Hoya HD multicoated filter as it seemed to degrade IQ with this lens.

William Curtindale wrote:

By all means join the fun and sharing of techniques and ideas.

All images are beautiful. I am not sure if they are HDR or just some nice post processing. I really like how the aircraft images seem to pop out and the colors are really nice (last image is my favorite).

Thanks for sharing some 70-400mm images.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +1 more
busch
Forum ProPosts: 29,714Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dirk W, 8 months ago

A wonderful shot of that Blue Tit (Blaumeise). Looks just like the ones that are at my feeders.

-- hide signature --

Busch
Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.
My Photos

busch's gear list:busch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +14 more
Dirk W
Like?
In reply to busch, 8 months ago

Thank you, Busch!  And I suppose it's not even that far away from your feeder (Luxembourg)

Tom Tame
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?

I was following William's thread where he listed proposed settings he was going to use on his forthcoming trip from which he has returned.  I did not keep a copy of that list as I was hoping William might update it with amendments following his experience.  If he didn't update it, I'd appreciate advice as to how I may locate his proposed settings.

I'm 78 and use an A99 with the silver 70 - 400 G lens still prepared to accept advice.

William Curtindale
Like?
Tom Tame: Show Your Favorite Image Captured With Your 70-400mm G / G2
In reply to Tom Tame, 8 months ago

Tom Tame wrote:

I was following William's thread where he listed proposed settings he was going to use on his forthcoming trip from which he has returned. I did not keep a copy of that list as I was hoping William might update it with amendments following his experience. If he didn't update it, I'd appreciate advice as to how I may locate his proposed settings.

I'm 78 and use an A99 with the silver 70 - 400 G lens still prepared to accept advice.

Tom, I kept a nice summary (lots of good advice from forum members included).  Instead of reposting the summary give me a day to review the setting that I actually used and then update the info. (will do by tomorrow and post it on this thread).

Actually, I spent time trying many settings and I think I settled back down to some tried and proven past settings that work for me (others may do it different).

By the way I am 70 and have to look up to those older than I with much appreciation (I also accept all the advice I can get).

-- hide signature --

yakkosmurf
Senior MemberPosts: 2,076Gear list
Like?

Soyuz rocket launch.

-- hide signature --
 yakkosmurf's gear list:yakkosmurf's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +7 more
William Curtindale
Like?
Tom Tame - Here's A Lot: BIF W/70-400mm G / G2
In reply to Tom Tame, 8 months ago

Tom Tame wrote:

I was following William's thread where he listed proposed settings he was going to use on his forthcoming trip from which he has returned. I did not keep a copy of that list as I was hoping William might update it with amendments following his experience. If he didn't update it, I'd appreciate advice as to how I may locate his proposed settings.

OK, in the end what worked best for me:

I set my camera to AF-S with Spot. I usually focus on a sitting bird and then toggle to Manual Focus and wait until it took to flight, then fire away.

Subsequently I found that using DMF automates some of this for me. DMF basically works the same as AF-S but instantly switches to Manual Focus after the target is acquired (also switches on Focus Peaking). If I partially press the shutter again DMF refocuses again. This is the way I will be setting my camera for BIF in the future. I still use "Spot" with DMF.

I also totally turn off the EVF "Preview". After a shoot I don't want an image popping up in my EVF because that might cause me to miss my next shot.

All my efforts in trying Object Tracking were not as successful as I had hoped (tried but did not use).

One of the suggestions provide for BIF was to use WAF with AF-D when shooting a BIF in a clear sky. Yes, I tried this and it would nail it on the BIF as long as other objects didn't get into the scene.

Below is the summary input from forum members (paraphrased). The below does not necessarily represent my shooting technique.

1. AF-D with Object Tracking acts as a form of Spot Focus, as focus is locked on the object that was in the center spot-- but focus will adjust as necessary if the object moves, or if my re-composition changes the focus.
  2. AF-D is useful for tracking a subject when there's a chance unwanted subjects cross the tracking path. The advantage of AF-D is that it normally keeps the main subject's track while AF-C would jumps at once to the unwanted subject. My feeling when shooting sports and other action is that AF-C is faster and more positive to lock focus.
  3. My understanding is that AF-D's ability to "track objects" with 112 additional fine focus points is an independent feature, separate and apart from the annoying floaty box employed by the Object Tracking feature.
  4. I have great success using AF-D, Center Spot and Shutter Priority for sports; but make one modification for BIF using Zone (center group), instead of Spot, to more easily track smaller objects. I keep Object Tracking off (this is the floating square) as it interferes with high speed burst shooting and decreases my keeper rate.
  5. BIF, I have my best success rates using Spot and AF-C. AF-D has many more out of focus and lost shots .... I have no idea why because it looks like it should be better while shooting but when opening the images up I am usually disappointed in the AF-D's results.
  6. A99 Handbook, AF-D (Depth Map Assist Continuous AF): In addition to the Continuous AF function, the camera continues to focus on a subject using the assist area...The AF assist function works after the camera focuses on a subject using the 19 AF areas.
  7. With the 70-400, AF-D clearly helps when tracking a moving object (i.e. BIF).
  8. AF-D keeps AF from moving away from the focus first achieved by the regular AF points, even when the regular points no longer have a good target. But it will hand AF control back to the regular AF points if you start tracking on a different subject.
  9. Object Tracking tracks shape, AF-D tracks distance.
  10. Object Tracking will not track quite as far off center, and is less able to handle very rapid or erratic movement.

Additional Generic Info. About My BIF Photo Technique (contained on my web site)

I Manually Set ISO, Shutter and Aperture. Focus is set to auto / spot. I shoot BIF handheld, RAW and usually ISO 800, f/7.1, 1/1250 sec., auto / spot focus and rapid firing of multiple frames.

Helpful Hint: I like to shoot BIF with the light and wind on my back. That way the light will be shinning on the bird for a front lit shot and the birds generally like to takeoff into the wind so they would be coming toward you for a nice front shot.

Helpful Hint, Exposure: I use my camera's TTL meter to evaluate the conditions and then set my exposure manually and have this done before a bird takes to flight (may include a test exposure). On a bright day with the sun directly over head it will be hard to obtain a good exposure with detail on the underside of the bird (if exposing for the birds underside the blue sky will usually be over exposed and show up as white and that’s better than a dark bird). Early morning or late in the day will usually help give better exposures for showing detail on the underside of the birds. Shooting on a dull or overcast day will also help give a more uniform exposure. Also, shooting birds low over water will sometimes pick up reflections from the water to light the underside of the birds.

ISO / Shutter / Aperture: I usually have my ISO set to between 400 and 800 (extremely bright or low light may require up or down settings). I like to shoot BIF at 1/1250 sec. and never shoot below 1/1000 sec. while faster shutter speeds would never be a problem. For my lens I like to shoot BIF between f/6.3 and f/7.1. In low light conditions I will open up to f/5.6 if required. I usually don’t care to shoot above f/11 so I drop my ISO or increase my shutter speed.

Helpful Hint, Focus: For most of my BIF images I start with the birds in a static location (nest, water, branch, etc.). While the bird remains still I prepare for the BIF shot by aiming and focusing on the bird and holding my camera steady until they take to flight (this requires concentration / patients and can be a long period of time while getting tired but I am ready with a sharp focus). Once the bird takes to flight, I get a dozen shots before they are out of focus (I do use spot focus and the camera / lens will refocus as conditions change). A fast focus lens and camera are highly desirable but the above techniques help a lot. My lens has a focus limit switch which I set so the lens will not search through the full focus range before acquiring the target (dramatically reduces time to get a sharp focus on the target). Also practice for smooth panning helps a lot. I shoot all my BIF shots handheld because a tripod restricts my freedom of movement and also adds to equipment to lug around.

Recent BIF shots (small birds):

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/109849611643818398019/albums/5980294276102377713

-- hide signature --

William Curtindale
Like?
yakkosmurf: Show Your Favorite Image Captured With Your 70-400mm G / G2
In reply to yakkosmurf, 8 months ago

Holly Smokes, what an honor to be able / allowed to photograph that.  Your timing is perfect, just off the pad.  It appears you may not have been too far away (amazing shot).  I can only imaging the amount of noise and ground shanking (yeah amazing).

Thanks for posting

yakkosmurf wrote:

Soyuz rocket launch.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads