Raynox M-150 og M-250 Macro for FZ200 ?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
DUBTEMPLE
Regular MemberPosts: 282Gear list
Like?
Raynox M-150 og M-250 Macro for FZ200 ?
9 months ago

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/dcr150/indexdcr150eg.htm

Would these be good for use with FZ200 ?

Can a normal 52-43mm converter-ring be used, indstead of the clumsy "snap-on" ring ?

Thanks /Henrik

DUBTEMPLE's gear list:DUBTEMPLE's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Namron
Regular MemberPosts: 179Gear list
Like?
Re: Raynox M-150 or M-250 Macro for FZ200 ?
In reply to DUBTEMPLE, 9 months ago

I use the M-150 on my FZ200 with a 52-43mm step down ring.

I recommend it as it gives excellent results once you are used to getting the working distance right, about 8in or 200mm from the front of the M-150.

At that working distance it is fairly easy to use flash without having to resort to a ring flash system. I use the built in flash with a cheap clip-on diffuser.

I assume you are aware that the 8in is the maximum distance from the lens that you can focus.

It works well over the zoom range 3X to the full 24X. Below 3X you get serious vignetting.

I haven't tried a M-250, but for me I think it would be too powerful and the shorter working distance of 5in or 125mm would be less convenient.

I actually find that the M-150 is too powerful for outdoor nature work, so I also use a Nikon 3T 1.5 Dioptre, working distance 26in or 670mm.

If I was buying again I think I would choose a Canon 500D 2 dioptre lens which would cover all my needs.

This example was taken using the Nikon 3T at full zoom on the FZ200.

Peacock Butterfly, FZ200 at Full zoom with Nikon 3T 1.5 diopter  close-up lens.

Hope that all helps.

Namron's gear list:Namron's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Adobe Photoshop CS6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
H Larsen
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
Re: Raynox M-150 og M-250 Macro for FZ200 ?

Hej Henrik

Fun to see you here

I have the DCR-250 and it can give very impressive results.
Because of the high magnification, there may be a very selective focus, but it depends on the amount of zoom and aperture.
Clamp assembly is not pretty, but very practical.
If you can find a stepdown ring, I think it will work fine.

Henning

H Larsen's gear list:H Larsen's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +1 more
aVolanche
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,553Gear list
Like?
In reply to H Larsen, 9 months ago

I prefer the 250 for it's much greater magnification. Here's a recent post:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3293680

I also like the Kiwi tube and a step-down ring as it protects the lens. I'm just not sure about the added weight of the macro lens element (150 or 250) plus a step down ring hanging on the front of the lens. It's probably OK, but I'd rather not gamble.

Fred

Stephen Barrett
Contributing MemberPosts: 580Gear list
Like?

I have both the 150 and 250, which I use with my Canon SX30.
If you want to choose just one of them, I would recommend the 150. Even though it is the weaker of the two, it is easier to use and more of the shots are keepers. The larger working distance (approx 8 inches vs 5 inches for the 250) makes it easier to avoid casting a shadow on your subject and you are less likely to scare insects away.

With the FZ200's 108 mm maximum focal length and focus set to infinity,
the Raynox 150 (4.8 diopter 208.33mm)gives an approximate magnification of
108 mm / 208.33 mm = 0.52x on the sensor

For the Raynox 250 (8 diopter, 125 mm) 108 mm / 125 mm = 0.86x on the sensor

For "effective magnification", you multiply these by the crop factor of 5.56

Actual Magnification            Effective Magnification
                     (on sensor)               (how it fills the frame compared
                                                          with full-frame sensor)
Raynox 150        0.52x                                  2.9x
Raynox 250        0.86x                                  4.8x

The Raynox closeup lenses attach with a spring-loaded "universal adaptor", which is what I use and find convenient, although some people prefer to use adapter rings.

Focus-stacking is a fun technique for combining multiple shots in order to increase the DOF. Here is one of my posts with some technical details about DOF, use of macro rails and the Zerene Stacker software:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50636595

Here are some of my stacked shots of small flowers taken with the Raynox-150:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51443590

If you don't want the bother of stacking, you can still get excellent handheld closeup shots. Again, I would recommend the Raynox 150. The price is around $75 U.S. if you shop around (includes the spring-loaded "universal adaptor"). You can have a lot of fun without any extra equipment. If you want to do focus-stacking, besides a tripod, macro-rails start around $70 and Zerene Stacker is $89 U.S.

I hope this helps.

Stephen Barrett's gear list:Stephen Barrett's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS +3 more
gardenersassistant
Contributing MemberPosts: 963
Like?

Like others have said, the Raynox 150 and 250 work fine on the FZ200, but you might want something less powerful like the Canon 500D. Until recently I used all three of these on the FZ200, and also the Raynox MSN-202, which is more powerful than the Raynox 250.

The vignetting mentioned above from about 3X zoom is if you attach the Raynox to the camera lens. The vignetting is more severe if you attach it to a tube like the Kiwitube, up to about 6-7X zoom. All the same, this is the way I used all of my achromats on the FZ200 because it has the great advantage of keeping the Raynox at the same distance from the subject while you zoom in and out to change the framing/magnification. That means you don't have to move the camera to compensate for movement of the Raynox as the camera lens extends and contracts. This makes it much easier to do what I do quite a lot which is to get two or more pictures of the same subject at different magnifications, typically a shot concentrating on the subject and another showing it in its environment, often with one or two in between. There are some examples of this in this set of pictures.

The issue of the distance to the subject changing as you zoom is more of a problem with the more powerful add-on lenses such as the Raynox 250 and MSN-202. With the Canon 500D it is rarely a problem in my experience.

I agree that the Raynox 150 is a good place to start - it is easier to use than the 250 but gives you enough power to photograph some invertebrates like larger flies, wasps, bees and the like. Which lens to choose does depend on what sort of thing you want to photograph. I tend to use the less powerful Canon 500D mostly for flowers (but also larger invertebrates such as crane flies, dragonflies and butterflies), the Raynox 150 mainly for mid-sized invertebrates but also some small flowers, and the Raynox 250 mainly for smaller invertebrates but also for some very small flowers. For extremely small insects such as fruit flies and springtails I use the Raynox 150 and 250 stacked or the Raynox MSN-202. If you want to get closer in and photograph flies' eyes and the like, then the Raynox 250 would be more suitable than the less powerful lenses.

I use step rings rather than the lens holder that comes with the Raynox lenses, but either way works fine.

DUBTEMPLE
Like?
Re: Raynox M-150 or M-250 Macro for FZ200 ?
In reply to Namron, 9 months ago

Hi Namron, thanks for the advices, very appriciated, my old Nikon P100 did well without any further lenses, guess that did did open my eyes a bit for the macro world

https://picasaweb.google.com/mistermahler/MacroP100?authkey=Gv1sRgCKL2v7fqyLexygE#

DUBTEMPLE
Like?
In reply to H Larsen, 9 months ago

Thanks again

I am leaning towards a M-150 and a M250 for my new super-compact travel setup, unfortunately I just missed a good offer nearby, but I keep an eye open from now on,..

DUBTEMPLE
Like?
In reply to Stephen Barrett, 9 months ago

Thanks a lot Stephen for the time and teoretic insight !

I have heard a bit about stacking before, and even when I don´t have the time and energy right now, I certainly find it very usefull and interesting, and I fully realise how usefull it could be as I was playing with a bellow and a reversed 28mm a few weeks back, terrible difficult when handhold 

https://picasaweb.google.com/mistermahler/MacroBellowReverse?authkey=Gv1sRgCNrn2u3itf79wQE

I have been lucky recently to get an Kaiser RS1 repro stand, fuly equipped with light-system, and that certainly has improved my wish to experiment with some macro and micro in the near future

Your pictures are very impressing !!! thanks for showing it, there is a lot of beauty in the hidden details, all over,..

DUBTEMPLE
Like?
In reply to gardenersassistant, 9 months ago

Thanks to you also Nick !

Guess I will start with the M-150 and M-250 ,... it apeals to me that they are so "effective"

But I will note your advise and supply later with a more moderate lens, needed be,..

I have a tube adaptor also, not the Kiwi, but the "two-part" 58mm hong-kong type for my TC

I will put adaptors on my next order, so that I can try out, both on lens and tube,..

Your set of pictures are SO nice !!!

DUBTEMPLE
Like?
CONCLUSION :-)

Thanks for all kind help !

With peace in mind I go for an M-150 / M-250 ,.. for now ,.. and see what it brings

I hope that later I can dive deeper into macro/micro, but I have some TC-stuff to finish right now, the birds are on their way, its spring,..

John Beavin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,812Gear list
Like?
Re: CONCLUSION :-)

My advice would be to just get the 150 first, the 250 will only get you one keeper in 50 due to there being minimum DOF and extremely hard to use in the field.

John Beavin's gear list:John Beavin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 +1 more
Namron
Regular MemberPosts: 179Gear list
Like?
Re: CONCLUSION :-)
In reply to John Beavin, 9 months ago

John Beavin wrote:

My advice would be to just get the 150 first, the 250 will only get you one keeper in 50 due to there being minimum DOF and extremely hard to use in the field.

Yes, that's my advice too.

Namron's gear list:Namron's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Adobe Photoshop CS6
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads