This shot is what convinced me to shoot in RAW (RX10)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Mazymus
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
This shot is what convinced me to shoot in RAW (RX10)
5 months ago

First is the original JPG (I dual shot with RAW but didn't include it.)

Then I did some PP on LR on the JPG.

Last, I did some PP on the RAW.

I'm convinced.

lancespring
Senior MemberPosts: 2,340Gear list
Like?
Really not that useful
In reply to Mazymus, 5 months ago

a comparison, as that is not an exposure that anyone would ever normally take.

Also, the best quality JPG option is Extra Fine.  To do a comparison between it and Raw, you would need to take two separate exposures of the same scene.

I certainly don't dispute that Raw will not outperform JPG significantly.   But I am doubtful that this is that helpful of an illustration.

.

 lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ric63
Senior MemberPosts: 1,784Gear list
Like?
Re: Really not that useful
In reply to lancespring, 5 months ago

Agreed

A bit of a strange image in the first place.

But I'm sure there is a reason behind it.

-- hide signature --

Enjoy Your Photography,
Ric.

 ric63's gear list:ric63's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-U20 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Samsung Galaxy Camera 4G Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 6,095Gear list
Like?
Re: Really not that useful
In reply to lancespring, 5 months ago

lancespring wrote:

a comparison, as that is not an exposure that anyone would ever normally take.

Also, the best quality JPG option is Extra Fine. To do a comparison between it and Raw, you would need to take two separate exposures of the same scene.

I certainly don't dispute that Raw will not outperform JPG significantly. But I am doubtful that this is that helpful of an illustration.

.

Well,

It does show without words how much is 'very surprisingly' there, which illustrates the power/advantage of having a RAW version available, either as your regular process, or as backup in case something needs 'saving'. An alternative would be a seriously overexposed version, again 'salvaged' by RAW.

As for Extra Fine Jpeg, after trials, many, myself included, cannot see/find any difference/benefit between Jpeg and Extra Fine Jpeg. I was surprisingly disappointed. Less Compression doesn't help with exposure, just potentially more detail, perhaps less noise.

A thorough article in an earlier thread (sorry I am too sleepy to go find it) with images, charts, circles and arrows documented visually/technically that Extra Fine Jpeg was only beneficial in very specific instances.

They are twice the file size, simply not worth it for any shots I take and I doubt would have helped here.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BRUCEK56
Contributing MemberPosts: 789Gear list
Like?
Re: This shot is what convinced me to shoot in RAW (RX10)
In reply to Mazymus, 5 months ago

Hi,

I only shoot raw and I agree but I think this raw sample needs a little more work.

In the JPEG shot his pants, the dog and the far blue couch are much more accurate in color.

-- hide signature --

BRUCEK56

 BRUCEK56's gear list:BRUCEK56's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 6,095Gear list
Like?
Re: Really not that useful
In reply to elliottnewcomb, 5 months ago

elliottnewcomb wrote:

lancespring wrote:

a comparison, as that is not an exposure that anyone would ever normally take.

Also, the best quality JPG option is Extra Fine. To do a comparison between it and Raw, you would need to take two separate exposures of the same scene.

I certainly don't dispute that Raw will not outperform JPG significantly. But I am doubtful that this is that helpful of an illustration.

.

Well,

It does show without words how much is 'very surprisingly' there, which illustrates the power/advantage of having a RAW version available, either as your regular process, or as backup in case something needs 'saving'. An alternative would be a seriously overexposed version, again 'salvaged' by RAW.

As for Extra Fine Jpeg, after trials, many, myself included, cannot see/find any difference/benefit between Jpeg and Extra Fine Jpeg. I was surprisingly disappointed. Less Compression doesn't help with exposure, just potentially more detail, perhaps less noise.

A thorough article in an earlier thread (sorry I am too sleepy to go find it) with images, charts, circles and arrows documented visually/technically that Extra Fine Jpeg was only beneficial in very specific instances.

They are twice the file size, simply not worth it for any shots I take and I doubt would have helped here.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Here's the Extra Fine Jpeg thread, and the link to the site with thourough testing

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3606240#forum-post-52899477

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sleepwalker400
Contributing MemberPosts: 939Gear list
Like?
Re: This shot is what convinced me to shoot in RAW (RX10)
In reply to BRUCEK56, 5 months ago

Raw is  usually superior but it is a mixed bag, don't be put off by some of the responses here some people need to learn diplomacy

 sleepwalker400's gear list:sleepwalker400's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Pentax *ist DL Pentax K10D Pentax K-30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BRUCEK56
Contributing MemberPosts: 789Gear list
Like?
Re: This shot is what convinced me to shoot in RAW (RX10)
In reply to sleepwalker400, 5 months ago

sleepwalker400 wrote:

Raw is usually superior but it is a mixed bag, don't be put off by some of the responses here some people need to learn diplomacy

-- hide signature --

BRUCEK56

...........just a couple of VERY quick adjustments.

 BRUCEK56's gear list:BRUCEK56's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sleepwalker400
Contributing MemberPosts: 939Gear list
Like?
Re: This shot is what convinced me to shoot in RAW (RX10)
In reply to BRUCEK56, 5 months ago

See and this man has Respect nice job.

 sleepwalker400's gear list:sleepwalker400's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Pentax *ist DL Pentax K10D Pentax K-30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sleepwalker400
Contributing MemberPosts: 939Gear list
Like?
Re: This shot is what convinced me to shoot in RAW (RX10)
In reply to BRUCEK56, 5 months ago

Looks like you removed the noise.

 sleepwalker400's gear list:sleepwalker400's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Pentax *ist DL Pentax K10D Pentax K-30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BRUCEK56
Contributing MemberPosts: 789Gear list
Like?
Re: This shot is what convinced me to shoot in RAW (RX10)
In reply to sleepwalker400, 5 months ago

sleepwalker400 wrote:

Looks like you removed the noise.

............Yes!

-- hide signature --

BRUCEK56

 BRUCEK56's gear list:BRUCEK56's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sleepwalker400
Contributing MemberPosts: 939Gear list
Like?
Re: This shot is what convinced me to shoot in RAW (RX10)
In reply to BRUCEK56, 5 months ago

I thought so ,good job. See this is a good morning when people act Human and not SARCASTIC

 sleepwalker400's gear list:sleepwalker400's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Pentax *ist DL Pentax K10D Pentax K-30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BRUCEK56
Contributing MemberPosts: 789Gear list
Like?
Re: This shot is what convinced me to shoot in RAW (RX10)
In reply to sleepwalker400, 5 months ago

sleepwalker400 wrote:

I thought so ,good job. See this is a good morning when people act Human and not SARCASTIC

I figured the JPEG automatically has noise reduction applied so why not add some to the raw.

I only had a "paste" photo to work on not the actual raw file so I was very limited in the adjustments.............but I think it is a better comparison now.

I have NEVER understood the attitude of some members on this forum. It is like they come here to purposely antagonize. I don't get it.

-- hide signature --

BRUCEK1956

 BRUCEK56's gear list:BRUCEK56's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sleepwalker400
Contributing MemberPosts: 939Gear list
Like?
Re: This shot is what convinced me to shoot in RAW (RX10)
In reply to BRUCEK56, 5 months ago

I  Agree they need to learn manners . I BET if they were on a Barr stool next me they would have manners

 sleepwalker400's gear list:sleepwalker400's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Pentax *ist DL Pentax K10D Pentax K-30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BRUCEK56
Contributing MemberPosts: 789Gear list
Like?
Re: This shot is what convinced me to shoot in RAW (RX10)
In reply to sleepwalker400, 5 months ago

"I BET if they were on a Barr stool next me they would have manners"

...I love it!

-- hide signature --

BRUCEK56

 BRUCEK56's gear list:BRUCEK56's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sleepwalker400
Contributing MemberPosts: 939Gear list
Like?
Re: This shot is what convinced me to shoot in RAW (RX10)
In reply to BRUCEK56, 5 months ago

By the way check out the pics I put up  @ THE cabana

 sleepwalker400's gear list:sleepwalker400's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Pentax *ist DL Pentax K10D Pentax K-30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mazymus
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Re: This shot is what convinced me to shoot in RAW (RX10)
In reply to Mazymus, 5 months ago

Thanks everyone.  I'm definitely learning ALOT.  This was done on the first day of  the camera ownership and settings were completely off.  I was (and still am) reading a book on basic photography which I admit I'm very new to as well and was just messing around the the settings

I was just surprised how much data I can get back in just an underexposed shot (even the JPG did ok but the differences were amazing to me.) 
I definitely need to spend much more time with LR as well, since that was also the first time I used any such software (usually the wife does all the stuff on PS, which after using LR, for me is PS a harder way to go about it)

Another shot also with the little guy.  So far, really love the camera

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aaanouel
Senior MemberPosts: 5,066Gear list
Like?
JPGs are better than most suppose...
In reply to Mazymus, 5 months ago

RAW files are great because of having lots of info for processing and recovering, OK!, but beyond RAW lovers imagination, you can also do great jobs from JPGs, in fact I shot RAWs only in very special occasions.

Original JPEG

Processed JPEG

I'd probably get better results shooting in RAW but this is just enough for me and saving A LOT of memory space in my hard disks.

-- hide signature --

aaanouel
Truth is a pathless land.
The dead past darkens the ever living present.
Corrections and critics are more than very welcome, desirables.

 aaanouel's gear list:aaanouel's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mazymus
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Re: JPGs are better than most suppose...
In reply to aaanouel, 5 months ago

aaanouel wrote:

RAW files are great because of having lots of info for processing and recovering, OK!, but beyond RAW lovers imagination, you can also do great jobs from JPGs, in fact I shot RAWs only in very special occasions.

Original JPEG

Processed JPEG

I'd probably get better results shooting in RAW but this is just enough for me and saving A LOT of memory space in my hard disks.

-- hide signature --

aaanouel
Truth is a pathless land.
The dead past darkens the ever living present.
Corrections and critics are more than very welcome, desirables.

Point well taken. Beautiful shot

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sybersitizen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,378
Like?
Re: This shot is what convinced me to shoot in RAW (RX10)
In reply to Mazymus, 5 months ago

True... if you're going to give a shot a completely wrong exposure like that, it's better to do so in RAW.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads