HELP!!! K3 misbehAving OR I may be confused

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
breeze_of_wind
Senior MemberPosts: 1,033Gear list
Like?
HELP!!! K3 misbehAving OR I may be confused
7 months ago

Here is the problem: For whatever reason only the GREEN MODE seems to be working on my camera

All other modes fail. Sometimes I get a single good image, other times none at all in a set of shots--

Images 1-3 taken with GREEN MODE -- they are OK

Images 4-6 Taken with TAV (I tried TV and AV with the same poor results) -- Auto focus mode ( I have tried AFS AFC and AFA -- makes no difference);

AF active area 27 points (also tried 7 points and spot -- makes no difference)

Shot with JPEG, L, and ***

PLEASE help, just arrived in Thailand for a two week vacation

JOHN

The Three GREEN Mode images follow first

HERE ARE THE THREE TAV IMAGES

breeze_of_wind's gear list:breeze_of_wind's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +8 more
Wallace Ross
Senior MemberPosts: 1,907
Like?
Re: HELP!!! K3 misbehAving OR I may be confused
In reply to breeze_of_wind, 7 months ago

It looks like you have some sort of digital filter applied like X-pro and that is disabled when in the green mode.  Try looking for that

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,725
Like?

In TAV you set the aperture and shutter speed and the auto ISO completes the exposure... however for the shutter speed and aperture you've chosen the ISO can't go low enough to expose properly and you get overexposure...

Therefore F8.0, 1/1000th sec and ISO200 in green mode exposes right, F10.0 1/200th sec and ISO100 in TAV is 2/3rds of a stop overexposed if i did my math right. if you leave the shutter speed and aperture alone you'd need ISO64 to get the exposure right.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,876
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, 7 months ago

MightyMike wrote:

In TAV you set the aperture and shutter speed and the auto ISO completes the exposure... however for the shutter speed and aperture you've chosen the ISO can't go low enough to expose properly and you get overexposure...

Therefore F8.0, 1/1000th sec and ISO200 in green mode exposes right, F10.0 1/200th sec and ISO100 in TAV is 2/3rds of a stop overexposed if i did my math right. if you leave the shutter speed and aperture alone you'd need ISO64 to get the exposure right.

+1

I agree with MightyMike.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,725
Like?
In reply to brandrx, 7 months ago

brandrx wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

+1

I agree with MightyMike.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Also check your ISO setting (Auto or normal) in Av and Tv just to be sure its not whats helping cause the problem

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,422Gear list
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, 7 months ago

Ditto to the others - Overexposure - Check EV comp isn't on or change Tv,  Av or filters.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
kikivrany
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782
Like?

Hello breeze_of_wind

It's like MightyMike wrote, your pictures are overexposed in the TAv mode.

normally, a camera like my K5, give you a warning : the LCD indicator start to blink.

If this don't happened:

The green Mode do overwrite our setting for the EV and metering mode -> check if you have in the other modes (like TAv, Av...) a EV setting dialled in or if you use a spot metering mode.

best regards  kikivrany

-- hide signature --

carpe noctem

13thBagel
Contributing MemberPosts: 933Gear list
Like?
Consider using...

...Sv mode (controls ISO) for a while. Let the camera set the shutter speed and aperture. Once you feel comfortable with things, experiment with the other mode settings (P mode, then TAV, etc.)

Cheers... M

-- hide signature --

Be the kind of person chance finds easy to help.

13thBagel's gear list:13thBagel's gear list
Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3
brecklundin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,967Gear list
Like?
Does anyone else think the WB is not right?

I agree there are other settings maybe off, but I see the WB is not right.  Something is buggering the color and not knowing what Pentax does to JPG's I sense that even though that over all there is no apparent colorcast, something about the colors in general feel like it's more than a filter.  My thought was WB is really reading things way wrong.

So maybe a CTE WB shot or just AWB?  Then some test shots?  And of course the color mode (Vibrant, Natural, muted, etc...) will have an effect too.  I say reset the whole camera to ground zero and shoot a shot in manual in RAW+JPG and see how the shots look side by side.

But the OP can look at it this way, you got some interesting non-mainstream results there...take the credit shot shooting "outside the box" never admit to shooting inside the green-box.  

awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,755Gear list
Like?

In addition to what everyone else has said

The camera would have been flashing the 100 in the iso auto window screaming you had set an aperture and shutter that did not allow an exposure solution.

In short if the camera flashes any settings at you, then you have missed something.

ensure you do not have aperture shutter or iso flashing before you attempt to capture an image.

If you ignore the camera then your results will be as you posted.

Your camera is behaving impeccably, But your ignoring it's polite warnings

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,197Gear list
Like?

I suggest you go into the menu pages and reset the Set-Up and Custom Settings menu settings to defaults.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
steelski
Senior MemberPosts: 2,526Gear list
Like?
I have a strong case for the answer!!! look here!!!

I can not believe that nobody knows what the result the OP is getting is from. Even Mike is wrong....

The answer........ Its the cross process settings. go to your quick menu and disable the option.
Does this look familiar.....

http://www.ephotozine.com/articles/pentax-k-x-hands-on-preview-12172/images/pentax_kx_cross1.jpg

awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,755Gear list
Like?
Re: I have a strong case for the answer!!! look here!!!
In reply to steelski, 7 months ago

steelski wrote:

I can not believe that nobody knows what the result the OP is getting is from. Even Mike is wrong....

The answer........ Its the cross process settings. go to your quick menu and disable the option.

http://www.ephotozine.com/articles/pentax-k-x-hands-on-preview-12172/images/pentax_kx_cross1.jpg

He may well have filters enabled but the main issue is overexposure

besides the k3 does not have cross process as a locked in filter options are

extract color, toy,retro,high key,vignet,invert,unicolor and boldbw

the auto shots are at around EV16

the tav shot is around EV14

Even without metering using Sunny 16 (bright sun in sand) then EV should be around ev16

Giving an exposure = 1/1000 F8 @iso100

yet he shot 1/200 f8 @iso100

The image is over exposed by about 1 stop

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Wallace Ross
Senior MemberPosts: 1,907
Like?
In reply to steelski, 7 months ago

steelski wrote:

Nobody?  Sometimes I do feel invisible here.

Anyway if you look at the  white railing you can see that there is a digital effect being added to the image and it changes between images so it's highly likely it's the x-pro filter.

-- hide signature --
solarider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,860Gear list
Like?
In reply to awaldram, 7 months ago

A screaming camera 

One more for the DPreview over the top-isms list. Would this one be in the top 100?

awaldram wrote:

In addition to what everyone else has said

The camera would have been flashing the 100 in the iso auto window screaming you had set an aperture and shutter that did not allow an exposure solution.

In short if the camera flashes any settings at you, then you have missed something.

ensure you do not have aperture shutter or iso flashing before you attempt to capture an image.

If you ignore the camera then your results will be as you posted.

Your camera is behaving impeccably, But your ignoring it's polite warnings

-- hide signature --

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, the rational mind is a faithful servant.
We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

rogerstpierre
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,397Gear list
Like?

I think that you may be confused. As pointed out by others, it seems that your setup in the example provided, exceeds the lower ISO limit. The exposure differs in each, yet, the settings are constant. The only way this could happen is if you selected both speed and aperture, and the camera is setting the aperture, which bottomed out at 100 while the light is changing, and exceeds what the camera can accommodate (i.e. it needed to set the ISO to less than 100) for proper exposure.

From your comments, I get the impression that you may have bought your K-3 just before your trip, perhaps thinking that a good camera will inevitably give you better pictures on this obviously special trip. You (speculating) may have never used a DSLR before, and may or may not have even read the manual on the plane on your way there.

My recommendation, use the green mode for any important pictures while on this trip, and use your spare time to learn some fundamentals of photo technique and to experiment with your new tool. It is quite normal to have mixed result at first, and can be daunting for some (more is not always better), but it will get better with some basic knowledge of what it is you're doing rather that randomly picking up some settings.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +16 more
Greyser
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,747Gear list
Like?

My K-5, K-5IIs, and K-3 always overexposure in TAv. To compensate I use very aggressive -Ev compensation (sometimes down to -1.5...-2 in very bright light) depending on current conditions.

Greyser's gear list:Greyser's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3
steelski
Like?
In reply to awaldram, 7 months ago

sorry but you assume too much. the green mode photo looks fine at iso200 f8 1/1000
this is only 1/2 stop difference ish from iso100 f10 1/200.

steelski
Like?
In reply to Wallace Ross, 7 months ago

hmmmm. you have a point. read your post and knew you refered to the folters....... and now i understand what you mean by x-pros.
sorry.

audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,197Gear list
Like?
In reply to Greyser, 7 months ago

Greyser wrote:

My K-5, K-5IIs, and K-3 always overexposure in TAv. To compensate I use very aggressive -Ev compensation (sometimes down to -1.5...-2 in very bright light) depending on current conditions.

My K20D and K-3 do not do this. I have no idea why TAv shjould expose differently than Av or Tv mode.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads