Obsession over - Oly em10 being ordered - EZ kit lens or Pana 12-32mm??

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
techiecool
Regular MemberPosts: 390
Like?
Obsession over - Oly em10 being ordered - EZ kit lens or Pana 12-32mm??
6 months ago

The pain, confusion, distress is ending. Final answer for me is the em10. Lots of great options, but i think this does what i need it to do. video being not great...stabilized regardless of lens. which makes it more easy to use (for me and the wife). we are not making feature films...just family snaps.

so love the compactness of either the Oly 14-42 EZ or panasonic 12-32mm. I will add the 25 and 45mm primes. and with those 3 lenses i'll be good for a long time. i might end up not needing the 45 if i can work with the 25 for most of my pictures of the little one. to be determined once i see the spacing in the house. i think i can always move forward but i can't always move back. so i think both will be needed.

Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 951Gear list
Like?
Re: Obsession over - Oly em10 being ordered - EZ kit lens or Pana 12-32mm??
In reply to techiecool, 6 months ago

I personally prefer the 12-32mm, but it just won't be worth the price for you, I'd think.

 honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Acrill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,369Gear list
Like?
Re: Obsession over - Oly em10 being ordered - EZ kit lens or Pana 12-32mm??
In reply to honeyiscool, 6 months ago

Depends on the price. $100 off on the 14-42 is a good deal.

If price is not a consideration, the 12-32mm looks like a better lens to me due to the 12mm wide angle.

 Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
techiecool
Regular MemberPosts: 390
Like?
Re: Obsession over - Oly em10 being ordered - EZ kit lens or Pana 12-32mm??
In reply to Acrill, 6 months ago

hmmm. with the current offer the EZ lens = $250. the 12-32mm is preorder for $350. For a $100...i'd pick which ever has better optics. Given i'll have a 45mm too. Hmmm...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 951Gear list
Like?
Re: Obsession over - Oly em10 being ordered - EZ kit lens or Pana 12-32mm??
In reply to techiecool, 6 months ago

techiecool wrote:

hmmm. with the current offer the EZ lens = $250. the 12-32mm is preorder for $350. For a $100...i'd pick which ever has better optics. Given i'll have a 45mm too. Hmmm...

If you have a 25 and a 45, I feel like there's too much of a drop-off from those excellent lenses to the 14-42. The 12-32 is surprisingly good and the 12mm is something that no M43 lens that retails under $799 can even reach, so keep that in mind.

 honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alexsfo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,419
Like?
Re: Obsession over - Oly em10 being ordered - EZ kit lens or Pana 12-32mm??
In reply to honeyiscool, 6 months ago

techiecool wrote:

hmmm. with the current offer the EZ lens = $250. the 12-32mm is preorder for $350. For a $100...i'd pick which ever has better optics. Given i'll have a 45mm too. Hmmm...

If you have a 25 and a 45, I feel like there's too much of a drop-off from those excellent lenses to the 14-42. The 12-32 is surprisingly good and the 12mm is something that no M43 lens that retails under $799 can even reach, so keep that in mind.

12-50mm? <$300

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,460Gear list
Like?
Re: Obsession over - Oly em10 being ordered - EZ kit lens or Pana 12-32mm??
In reply to Acrill, 6 months ago

Acrill wrote:

Depends on the price. $100 off on the 14-42 is a good deal.

If price is not a consideration, the 12-32mm looks like a better lens to me due to the 12mm wide angle.

So is lens only now available in USA?

I think that is where OP lives.

 Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
techiecool
Regular MemberPosts: 390
Like?
Re: Obsession over - Oly em10 being ordered - EZ kit lens or Pana 12-32mm??
In reply to Len_Gee, 6 months ago

I'm in the US. Neither lens is available by themselves. Amazon said march 11 for the 14-42 ez. Panasonic don't know. But I can wait on a zoom kit lens for a bit. Maybe pick up one on eBay. I do need when as we are going on holiday at the end of April

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
techiecool
Regular MemberPosts: 390
Like?
Re: Obsession over - Oly em10 being ordered - EZ kit lens or Pana 12-32mm??
In reply to Alexsfo, 6 months ago

I'm trying to stay compact

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
h2odog
Regular MemberPosts: 382Gear list
Like?
Re: Obsession over - Oly em10 being ordered - EZ kit lens or Pana 12-32mm??
In reply to techiecool, 6 months ago

I have the Sony RX100 II with a 28-100 range and couldn't resist getting the EM-10 with the 25 1.8 for $699+$299 for the lens. Ditching my Nikon D7000 for the Olympus system and couldn't be happier.

 h2odog's gear list:h2odog's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cheezr
Contributing MemberPosts: 568
Like?
Re: Obsession over - Oly em10 being ordered - EZ kit lens or Pana 12-32mm??
In reply to techiecool, 6 months ago

I just got my 14-42EZ and honestly I am on the fence, the image quality is fine but the power zoom is going to take getting used to. I understand they had to do a PZ so one could zoom via the smartphone (which does work, btw) but it is definitely weird in use.

a gratutious pic attached taken with said lens this evening..

-- hide signature --

Life is uncertain, eat dessert first.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photohounds
Regular MemberPosts: 468Gear list
Like?
Re: Obsession over - Oly em10 being ordered - EZ kit lens or Pana 12-32mm??
In reply to techiecool, 6 months ago

Consider the Zuiko 12-40, too.
It is so good, that apart from speed, you might need fewer primes. Lens junkies like me will of course say you need BOTH
12-40 Splash proof for the beach, nature shots, in the rain (ignoring rain is VERY liberating)
I do have some 14-14 shots and am digging out some 4/3 ZD lens pics over the next week too. I liked the 11-22, it was a beaut lens Almost distortionless UWA all the way to 'standard' and pretty fast.
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/Gear-tests
Enjoy your new camera!

-- hide signature --

Well designed gear performs better for longer than well marketed gear.
Pics:
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/
Gear test samples:
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/Gear-tests

 photohounds's gear list:photohounds's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photohounds
Regular MemberPosts: 468Gear list
Like?
Re: Obsession over - Oly em10 being ordered - EZ kit lens or Pana 12-32mm??
In reply to h2odog, 6 months ago

h2odog wrote:

I have the Sony RX100 II with a 28-100 range and couldn't resist getting the EM-10 with the 25 1.8 for $699+$299 for the lens. Ditching my Nikon D7000 for the Olympus system and couldn't be happier.

Quite right ..
A few of us have seen the value of actually being to TAKE you gear instead of leaving IT, and the Arnold the caddy,  behind
Our significant others now grudgingly accept the presence of a camera, and WE get quality pics.  Win, win!
The availability of superb glass is the icing on the cake ..
Show off with it in dim light!
--

Well designed gear performs better for longer than well marketed gear.
Pics:
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/
Gear test samples:
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/Gear-tests

 photohounds's gear list:photohounds's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
techiecool
Regular MemberPosts: 390
Like?
Re: Obsession over - Oly em10 being ordered - EZ kit lens or Pana 12-32mm??
In reply to Cheezr, 6 months ago

Aside from the power zoom what are your thoughts on the lens in general

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EGenius007
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?
Re: Obsession over - Oly em10 being ordered - EZ kit lens or Pana 12-32mm??
In reply to Cheezr, 6 months ago

Cheezr wrote:

I just got my 14-42EZ and honestly I am on the fence, the image quality is fine but the power zoom is going to take getting used to. I understand they had to do a PZ so one could zoom via the smartphone (which does work, btw) but it is definitely weird in use.

If I'm not mistaken with the Panasonic lens there will be no way to manual focus at all. With the Olympus lens you'll be able to, as Cheezr mentions, control the zoom via the smartphone & tablet app. Both are apparently solid lenses optically, and they don't have identical focal lengths so... know you'll be getting a good result either decision you make.

 EGenius007's gear list:EGenius007's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,104Gear list
Like?
Re: Obsession over - Oly em10 being ordered - EZ kit lens or Pana 12-32mm??
In reply to EGenius007, 6 months ago

EGenius007 wrote:

Cheezr wrote:

I just got my 14-42EZ and honestly I am on the fence, the image quality is fine but the power zoom is going to take getting used to. I understand they had to do a PZ so one could zoom via the smartphone (which does work, btw) but it is definitely weird in use.

If I'm not mistaken with the Panasonic lens there will be no way to manual focus at all.

While that sounds like a disadvantage, I cannot recall when I last manually focused an AF lens, unless it was shooting the moon. I have used AF lenses in manual focus mode with back button focus, but that's still AF.

Here are some tests run by PC Magazine on kit lenses.

Olympus 14-42 II

Olympus EZ 14-42

Panasonic 12-32

Maybe it's a good time to pick up the Oly 25mm now for the discounted $299, and buy the 12-32 later.

 baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EarthQuake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,203Gear list
Like?
Re: Obsession over - Oly em10 being ordered - EZ kit lens or Pana 12-32mm??
In reply to techiecool, 6 months ago

techiecool wrote:

I'm in the US. Neither lens is available by themselves. Amazon said march 11 for the 14-42 ez. Panasonic don't know. But I can wait on a zoom kit lens for a bit. Maybe pick up one on eBay. I do need when as we are going on holiday at the end of April

I picked up a used 12-32mm on eBay for about $300 to use with my EM5 as a smaller backup to my EM1/12-40mm. You should be able to find one on eBay from someone who bought the kit but only wanted the camera, mine came essentially new. Really like the lens. Image quality is good for a kit lens, and its tiny and weighs absolutely nothing.

I would say, if you shoot more wide, go with the 12-32, if you shoot more on the normal-short tele end (portraits etc) get the 14-42.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
techiecool
Regular MemberPosts: 390
Like?
Re: Obsession over - Oly em10 being ordered - EZ kit lens or Pana 12-32mm??
In reply to techiecool, 6 months ago

Order placed. Thanks for all help to all. I'm sure my quest is just starting so I might have a few more posts/cries for help. Again thanks!!

Interesting note. The wife asked "it's not like the sony (rx100ii) we had without a hole to look through is it. I want that. The LCD alone isn't good". Thanks good I got something w a built in viewfinder. And not another sony. She has a hate relationship with the ps cameras lol

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
andrbar
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,842Gear list
Like?
Re: Obsession over - Oly em10 being ordered - EZ kit lens or Pana 12-32mm??
In reply to EarthQuake, 6 months ago

EarthQuake wrote:

techiecool wrote:

I'm in the US. Neither lens is available by themselves. Amazon said march 11 for the 14-42 ez. Panasonic don't know. But I can wait on a zoom kit lens for a bit. Maybe pick up one on eBay. I do need when as we are going on holiday at the end of April

I picked up a used 12-32mm on eBay for about $300 to use with my EM5 as a smaller backup to my EM1/12-40mm. You should be able to find one on eBay from someone who bought the kit but only wanted the camera, mine came essentially new. Really like the lens. Image quality is good for a kit lens, and its tiny and weighs absolutely nothing.

I would say, if you shoot more wide, go with the 12-32, if you shoot more on the normal-short tele end (portraits etc) get the 14-42.

Hi,

Does the 12-32mm have a manual zoom ring?

I'm interested in that lens (with a Oly EM10)

-- hide signature --
 andrbar's gear list:andrbar's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
techiecool
Regular MemberPosts: 390
Like?
Re: Obsession over - Oly em10 being ordered - EZ kit lens or Pana 12-32mm??
In reply to andrbar, 6 months ago

I believe someone said it doesn't. The oly ez kit lens has a handy feature of remote control of the zoom. Id imagine that would be handy during video on a tripod

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads