PS Elements 12 and stacking ????

Started 8 months ago | Questions
BertIverson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,995Gear list
Like?
PS Elements 12 and stacking ????
8 months ago

I have LR4 and PSE 12. Is there a way to stack and align images for the purpose of reducing noise by simply averaging the shots?
Googling indicates that the FULL PhotoShop will do this. Also I can stack images in LR but then I am lost.

TIA,
Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +3 more
ANSWER:
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,859
Like?
Re: PS Elements 12 and stacking ????
In reply to BertIverson, 7 months ago

BertIverson wrote:

I have LR4 and PSE 12. Is there a way to stack and align images for the purpose of reducing noise by simply averaging the shots?
Googling indicates that the FULL PhotoShop will do this. Also I can stack images in LR but then I am lost.

TIA,
Bert

"Stacking" in LR is an entirely different concept, and has nothing to do with focus stacking.  You can't do focus stacking in LR, since that requires layers (and thank goodness I don't have to argue that LR doesn't have layers).

Sorry, I can't answer your question about PSE, since I don't use it.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,875Gear list
Like?

BertIverson wrote:

Have a look at the 6 Photomerge options under the Enhance menu in the Editor. It allows you to select multiple images and either overlay them or stitch them together (panorama). I believe you can do a HDR like composite image. One specific sub option that sounds promising is called Photomerge Scene Cleaner. However, it would appear it is intended to be used to manually remove a tourist that walked into the view of the shot. If you have enough shots you can select parts from each image to show the complete image without tourists. So that is kind of macro level noise removal. Don't know if you can just overlay them all and let things average out. May be possible. Can't say I've tried any of these options yet.

As you know, some Sony cameras can do this noise reduction trick in the camera, so it can't be too difficult or processor intensive.

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
edispics
Senior MemberPosts: 1,475
Like?
In reply to Ron AKA, 7 months ago

It is also common with some other software programs such as Oloneo which has explicit stacking for noise reduction coupled with automatic micro alignment.

johnierebel
Contributing MemberPosts: 917
Like?

BertIverson wrote:

I asked about photo stacking about a month ago in PSE12, never got a good answer one way or the other. Some what leads me to think the answer is no. good luck

TIA,
Bert

Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,875Gear list
Like?
In reply to johnierebel, 7 months ago

johnierebel wrote:

BertIverson wrote:

I asked about photo stacking about a month ago in PSE12, never got a good answer one way or the other. Some what leads me to think the answer is no. good luck.

If you are talking about Focus Stacking see this link.

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
johnierebel
Contributing MemberPosts: 917
Like?
In reply to Ron AKA, 7 months ago

Ron AKA wrote:

johnierebel wrote:

BertIverson wrote:

I asked about photo stacking about a month ago in PSE12, never got a good answer one way or the other. Some what leads me to think the answer is no. good luck.

If you are talking about Focus Stacking see this link.

thanks Ron, this is very helpful. Trying to figure out which programs I need & work together has been a pain in the rear. Can not afford 20 programs & experiment, as you know there more opinions than a computer can handle. thanks again, john

richardplondon
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,441Gear list
Like?

There are a number of utilities that can help with pure "focus" stacking, but if it is a question of stacking for exposure reasons - and if Lightroom is in the mix, as mentioned - IMO it is worth mentioning LR/Enfuse here... as a particularly efficient and direct tool. Other similar programs and utilities exist, but this has the great advantage of workflow simplicity.

http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/lrenfuse.php

Very often with low-light scenes, which is (I presume) the driver behind wishing to stack and average noise - the problem is not only noisiness, but also diminished dynamic range. Especially where a higher ISO has been used, highlights can get clipped and harsh, and the effort to expose to mitigate for that makes the shadow areas worse. Depending on the camera, dropping ISO and making a single longer exposure may help, or it may not help particularly - and a tripod may not be available anyway.

Bracketing exposures combines multiple benefits at the same time: it lets you expose for highlights and shadows separately, along with intermediate exposure(s); and then if recombined correctly, this has the side-effect of filtering out noise to some degree, as well as optimising your employment of the camera sensor.

LR/enfuse uses the "exposure fusion" method of recombining the photos, rather than the more typically HDR method of "tone-mapping". This is a) much less prone to artificiality in the first place, and b) involves much less interaction from the user in order to achieve a straightforward and natural outcome.

While technically a High-Dynamic-Range process, it is not at all difficult in use, and I find that once you find basic settings that you like, they can be left alone. it is then a matter of experience and preference as to how you bracket and what exposures you bring into the mix. Sometimes, perversely, leaving intermediate exposures out actually helps - you don't have to go mad with lots of fine increments.

The process is simple: highlight several images in LR after initial processing, run the utility from inside LR, then the LR plugin scripts the exporting of some temporary files, tells the Enfuse utility to combine them into a new TIFF (calling "align_image_stack" if you have requested this) then imports that into LR and deletes the temporary files. The "fused" image is usually lovely and clean and responds very nicely to further adjustment. That experience is not unlike working from the Raw of a really superb sensor, much better than the camera you actually have :).

Of course, if you actively liked exploring the characteristic look-and-feel of HDR, and didn't mind if that was apparent in the photos, that is another matter -  and a seach of this forum on "HDR" will throw up more opinions than one human brain can comfortably accommodate.

Some programs such as Photomatix let you choose whether to tone-map or fuse; but LR/Enfuse is more of a black-box answer and IMO can in aesthetic terms almost be considered as an extra capture stage, rather than as a post-processing stage.

RP

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Karel Osten
Contributing MemberPosts: 671
Like?
In reply to richardplondon, 7 months ago

Richard,

Thanks for taking the trouble with this reply, Enfuse certainly looks interesting. I like the fact that it can be run directly from within LR.

Karel

BertIverson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,995Gear list
Like?
In reply to richardplondon, 7 months ago

Thanks Richard,

I will definitely give Enfuse a try. I like to shoot RAW and enjoy experimenting with hand-held low light shots (museum photos maybe). This thread has shown that PSE does not contain the "align stack" feature as in full PS. Sounds like Enfuse may give me a solution.

Cheers,
Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +3 more
xrdbear
xrdbear MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,673
Like?

Try PhotoAcute Studio which can do alignment as well as noise reduction by averaging. It can also do superresolution.

-- hide signature --

Brian
Fine Art Print sales of the Isle of Skye at:
http://www.eyeofskye.co.uk/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads