Weekend MONOCHROME #172 |28-02 Feb-March| Post yours!

Started 9 months ago | Photos
Canadian Club
Forum ProPosts: 41,233
Like?
Re: By a nose
In reply to mapgraphs, 8 months ago

Excellent of this bird.  Thanks

CC

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Canadian Club
Like?
Re: Harvard Detail plus a bonus
In reply to 19andrew47, 8 months ago

Great shot of the Harvard.  I have had several flights in this gorgeous plane.

Canadians, liberated Holland and my brother was one of them.  Also, April 29, 1945 a Lancaster flew in "Operation Manna" to drop food to the starving Dutch people.  The pilot and wireless operator were from Windsor and we have named our Lancaster Bad Penny as it was known back then.

CC

LouHolland
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,317
Like?
Re: View of a temple
In reply to sridharma, 8 months ago

Sridhar, let me explain, your keystone PP is not directly what I meant you should use. I understand your point as the eyes don't see in such a short distance those oblique lines of those pillars, but cameras lenses do and we experience that as the charm of photography and sometimes we make an art out of it. So I agree with you. However correcting those oblique lines completely with keystone could give a less charming and less natural image to our eyes (in modern building it could work). However you could decide to straighten only the central pillar vertically and now we will keep our charming oblique lines and our perspective stays intact and the tilted horizon is corrected too. That was what I trying to say. Thanks for the effort you've put in, it still is a nice image. Also I like that slight bit of blue used in you monochrome.

Lou

-

sridharma wrote:

LouHolland wrote:

Srhidhar, Lovely images and beautiful structures. Only niggle, I would straithen the middle vertical pillar in your first shot. That last one I really like.

Thanks for the comment. I did not straighten the columns as I felt that it lessened the impact of the shot. Well, that is my taste I have tried my hand at the keystone correction. Let me know what you feel about the pic:

-- hide signature --

Sridhar M.A.

labe
Senior MemberPosts: 2,876Gear list
Like?
Lap steel.....
In reply to LouHolland, 8 months ago

Taken with EM5 with art filter applied (grainy film) cheers Paul uk

-- hide signature --

new to technology,always learning

labe's gear list:labe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-3 Nikon D610 +1 more
Gary Blake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,513
Like?
Re: White water lunch

LouHolland wrote:

Lovely Gary. Is that a Bear area too?

Lou

-

Gary Blake wrote:

Adult female bald eagle, Black Sturgeon River in the background.

OMD EM5 OM 350mm f2.8

Gary

Lou,

Thanks for commenting.

This was taken in northwestern Ontario in the Nipigon River area on the north shore of Lake Superior. About as wild a wilderness area as you can get. I saw lots of bear signs in the bush, also wolf and even saw some cougar (Eastern Mountain Lion) tracks.

For all the bear signs I have never seen one while walking in the bush - they usually hear you coming long before you see them and head in the opposite direction.

I did get one picture of a bear this trip, beside the road from the truck, will look it up and post it for next week if you are interested.

Gary

Canadian Club
Like?
Huron Atlantic

Even in B&W this looks good - no ice.  

The Huron Atlantic is 736 Feet long.

CC

Ravenwing Photo
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?
Andrew and Lou....
In reply to Ravenwing Photo, 8 months ago

Thank you!  This is at a nearby Catholic retreat.  They have a series of statues, crosses, etc. set up in a large field (way of the cross?; rosary?.....you can tell I'm not Catholic) and this was taken directly into the sunrise.  I would assume the statue is of one of the saints.  They gave him his own little roof to protect from the weather, and braced him in to keep the wind from tipping him over.

-- hide signature --

Nate

Ravenwing Photo's gear list:Ravenwing Photo's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 +6 more
LouHolland
Like?
Re: White water lunch
In reply to Gary Blake, 8 months ago

Gary Blake wrote:

LouHolland wrote:

Lovely Gary. Is that a Bear area too?

Lou

-

Gary Blake wrote:

Adult female bald eagle, Black Sturgeon River in the background.

OMD EM5 OM 350mm f2.8

Gary

Lou,

Thanks for commenting.

This was taken in northwestern Ontario in the Nipigon River area on the north shore of Lake Superior. About as wild a wilderness area as you can get. I saw lots of bear signs in the bush, also wolf and even saw some cougar (Eastern Mountain Lion) tracks.

For all the bear signs I have never seen one while walking in the bush - they usually hear you coming long before you see them and head in the opposite direction.

I did get one picture of a bear this trip, beside the road from the truck, will look it up and post it for next week if you are interested.

Gary

Would be nice Gary, show it

Lou

LouHolland
Like?
Re: Lap steel.....
In reply to labe, 8 months ago

Nice, the grain work fine here as it mainly give some texture to the out of focus parts.

Lou

-

labe wrote:

Taken with EM5 with art filter applied (grainy film) cheers Paul uk

-- hide signature --

new to technology,always learning

LouHolland
Like?
Re: Huron Atlantic
In reply to Canadian Club, 8 months ago

Fine shot, interesting and good use of grey tones.

Lou

-

Canadian Club wrote:

Even in B&W this looks good - no ice.

The Huron Atlantic is 736 Feet long.

CC

mapgraphs
Regular MemberPosts: 397Gear list
Like?
Re: Harvard Detail plus a bonus

19andrew47 wrote:

Taken at the Canadian War Plane museum near Hamilton, Ontario. The first is the engine of a Harvard training aircraft. The second a bonus shows a sign pointing out the cafeteria/café in the museum. The sign was a cream colour with blue lettering. I am not sure why they picked that particular name for the café.

Andrew

The engine on the Harvard looks something like a P&W Wasp so I had to look it up. Good angle and framing. Interesting bit about the Dutch liberation.

Leoshin
Contributing MemberPosts: 662Gear list
Like?
like it. thks 4 share
No text.
 Leoshin's gear list:Leoshin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-500 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
Collections of the Rain

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for keeping an eye on our weather. We need more of it.

Much of the rain that falls in the mountains, rivers and open areas are funneled into settling basins where it percolates into the groundwater. A modern theme of architecture and site design is to prevent run-off from properties by creating settlement and catchment basins rather than let the water run off into the gutter. We have a gravel driveway (not typical for So Cal) that catches most of the rain that falls on our 1/4 acre and let's it percolate into the ground. Street run-off is too polluted with oil, dog piles, trash, etc to collect. We're working on that though. Because we get all of our rain in one short season and often in bursts, it's hard to collect the onslaught of run-off that fills the flood control channels.

Here in Pasadena some of our water comes from wells and much of it comes from the Colorado River through the LA County MWD aquaduct system. Both sources will be in short supply this year.

My rain gauge collected 4 inches of rain since Thursday night. We need at least 6 more in March to get any where close to normal rainfall for the season. Our rainy season ends in April and it stays moslty dry until late November.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
dave gaines
Like?
Singing in the Rain

LouHolland wrote:

Dave, I see Humphrey Bogart, Fred Astaire or Sammy Davis Jr., here They all fit in a scene like this and if there blows strong air from that ground grill you can add Marilyn Monroe too on that row of famous names Good shot.

Lou

Thanks for looking and commenting Lou. Yes, and Gene Kelly "Singing in the Rain" too. If this patio drain were blowing enough air to lift Marylin's skirt I'd run for higher ground because that would mean the storm drains are backing up.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
dave gaines
Like?
Re: Reflections in the Rain
In reply to Brad Ross, 8 months ago

Brad Ross wrote:

aside from the great composition, your treatment without excessive clarity or contrast makes it look like it would, if I was standing there

Thanks Brad,

Thanks for looking and commenting. I had the opportunity to either bump the contrast or make the patio go flat with B&W and color channel adjustments in PS. But I chose to bring up the reflection as much as I could and leave the contrast that was already there in the patio. I could have made the square concrete frame around the drain grill match the surrounding gray/black patio but it lost it's meaning and wasn't natural that way. The two areaas are different shades, textures and colors.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines
Like?

A fine example of focus selection and shallow DOF. I like the B&W treatment too.

That instrument has another name besides steel guitar, doesn't it? I forget what it is.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Brad Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,139
Like?

they obviously picked this technique up from the dulcimer players, love the hands with the foreground hand showing the wrinkled texture of the skin and the background hand out of focus but recognizable, I think B&W works well with acoustic instruments

-- hide signature --

Brad Ross

Brad Ross
Like?
pedal string?
In reply to dave gaines, 8 months ago

well there are pedal string guitars which kind of operate the same way with the hands, but they are electric

-- hide signature --

Brad Ross

Brad Ross
Like?
upper Manhattan or the lower Bronx?
In reply to dharma108, 8 months ago

great capture, where was it taken, and is that the 59th (Queensboro) street bridge or Williamsburg?

-- hide signature --

Brad Ross

19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 13,359Gear list
Like?
Re: Huron Atlantic
In reply to Canadian Club, 8 months ago

I love the look of those Detroit landmarks!  The toning works really well for them.

Andrew

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads