1DX for amateur

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Reservoir_Dog
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
1DX for amateur
8 months ago

I want that DSLR soo much, but isnt it totally overkill for an amateur? Im not a beginner but an amateur.... Also, and i admit, a little bit gear freak

Let the comments come, and subscribe down there! (oops this isnt youtube)

Ow yes, its 2 years old, and now with the D4S, is canon going to release a newer 1D camera soon?

Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D C Nikon D4s
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
guatitamasluz
Contributing MemberPosts: 833
Like?
Re: 1DX for amateur
In reply to Reservoir_Dog, 8 months ago

First I thought: don't feed the troll but at a second thought I'd say: it depends on your photographical preferencies. If you do loads of low light (I do) then why not? If your budget allows that, then why not? I am happy with my 5D3 so far and I just wish, next bodies will slightly improve in high ISO. Don't have the budget for an 1Dx, and for my purposes, as an amateur, the 5D3 is more camera than I will ever need... So go for it. Or join both camps and go D4s. Who cares? Gear just fits one's requirements. Not more, not less. I am looking forward to an overnext 5D body cycle doing decent 51k and very usable 102k.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,535Gear list
Like?
In reply to guatitamasluz, 8 months ago

If you can afford it why not, its a bit like having the money for a super-car something like a Aston martin because im british   that can go near to 200MPH people will buy these cars, even though the speed limit is 70MPH on a motor-way.

A funny story, when i was about 10 years old, i bought myself a puncture repair kit for a bike, the fact is i did not have a bike did not come into it, i just had to have it, with the little pocket i had i bought it and was over the moon. The moral of the story is if you can afford, its your money you can do what you like, its no ones buisness but yours. Enjoy your new beast.  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Reservoir_Dog
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
In reply to guatitamasluz, 8 months ago

guatitamasluz wrote:

First I thought: don't feed the troll but at a second thought I'd say: it depends on your photographical preferencies. If you do loads of low light (I do) then why not? If your budget allows that, then why not? I am happy with my 5D3 so far and I just wish, next bodies will slightly improve in high ISO. Don't have the budget for an 1Dx, and for my purposes, as an amateur, the 5D3 is more camera than I will ever need... So go for it. Or join both camps and go D4s. Who cares? Gear just fits one's requirements. Not more, not less. I am looking forward to an overnext 5D body cycle doing decent 51k and very usable 102k.

Im not a troll, this is a genuine question. I want to buy such a camera, and dont upgrade for many years. I also read manuals front to back and again I know, the 5d MK3 is also a very serious DSLR.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,829Gear list
Like?

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

guatitamasluz wrote:

Im not a troll, this is a genuine question. I want to buy such a camera, and dont upgrade for many years. I also read manuals front to back and again I know, the 5d MK3 is also a very serious DSLR.

I recently bought a 1Dx. Only one reason. I do a lot of action stuff. That's the ONLY reason to spend so much.

If you don't do action, you don't need to spend that much to get better results for less..

-- hide signature --

Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh (Irish Gaelic)
A good word never broke a tooth.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +27 more
Sports Shooter
Regular MemberPosts: 447Gear list
Like?

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

guatitamasluz wrote:

the 1dx is a brick of a camera. If you dont want to carry a brick around look at the 5D MKIII or 6D and spare the change for lenses. I only use the 1D MKIII and MKIV in sports photography but when on holidays and travel 'light' I take the 7D...

Sports Shooter's gear list:Sports Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +10 more
Mike921
Regular MemberPosts: 285Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee, 8 months ago

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

guatitamasluz wrote:

I recently bought a 1Dx. Only one reason. I do a lot of action stuff. That's the ONLY reason to spend so much.

If you don't do action, you don't need to spend that much to get better results for less..

-- hide signature --

Sorry bro, sports shooting isn't the ONLY reason to buy a 1DX.  If you're going to shoot in dicey weather/environmental conditions and/or going to shoot with only one body - the 1DX is the only Canon choice.  I'm definitely an amateur, and when I can only take one body - it's the 1DX.

Mike921's gear list:Mike921's gear list
Canon PowerShot S400 Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X +9 more
canon person
Senior MemberPosts: 1,434
Like?
My opinion:

buy the 5D3.  It is MUCH MORE CAMERA than you will ever need.

-- hide signature --

Canon Person

Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,108Gear list
Like?
No

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

I want that DSLR soo much, but isnt it totally overkill for an amateur?

Look at the 1D X as the full featured camera in the Canon product line. One could argue that other cameras in the product line are "crippled" versions for marketing strata. OTOH, some of these so-called features could be viewed as detriments, i.e. weatherproofing adding additional weight and size. (I'd rather buy an umbrella.) just trying to be funny.

To me, if price isn't an overkill for one's personal budget, overkill relates directly to the effort made in learning how a piece of equipment works and the effort in implementing those features. Most folks, pro or otherwise, will meet situations where every one of these features could help if one knows about them. If one wants to tear the camera out of the box and start machinegun snapshooting leaving the manuals in their shrink wrap, then yeah, maybe it is overkill, but that's not about being an amateur, that's an individual flaw.

Just an observation. Many non-pros believe they want a DSLR experience but over time, they tend to turn their DSLRs into P&S cameras (yes, admittedly, a bit of hyperbole). May be true for some pros as well.

I read through every manual for every camera I buy. It takes less than an hour for most cameras. Before the 5D3, most of those manuals were pretty simplistic. This is not to say that I immediately understood every nuance of a given camera just from reading the manual but filling in the blanks is easy via a Google search or asking questions in a forum. The 5D3 manual (and probably the 1D X too) is about twice the pages as the 6D, 5D2 and 5D manuals, most of which are dedicated to the AF. So, add about another hour to your reading.

Im not a beginner but an amateur.... Also, and i admit, a little bit gear freak

Ow yes, its 2 years old, and now with the D4S, is canon going to release a newer 1D camera soon?

And no.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. It is better to have It and not need It than need It and not have It. Various RAW comparisons at Link. Includes 5D3 vs D800E, 5D3 vs. 6D, Zeiss lenses etc. https://app.box.com/s/71w40ita6hrcfghojaie

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Like?
In reply to Mike921, 8 months ago

Mike921 wrote:

Sorry bro, sports shooting isn't the ONLY reason to buy a 1DX. If you're going to shoot in dicey weather/environmental conditions and/or going to shoot with only one body - the 1DX is the only Canon choice. I'm definitely an amateur, and when I can only take one body - it's the 1DX.

There is another choice which will handle your weather and is much cheaper.

Second hand 1Dsii, 1Dsiii, 1Div etc.

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +27 more
Per Inge Oestmoen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,652
Like?

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

I want that DSLR soo much, but isnt it totally overkill for an amateur? Im not a beginner but an amateur.... Also, and i admit, a little bit gear freak

The question is:

Do its qualities meet your needs? If so, you are well served by the 1D X if you can afford it. The idea is widespread that the differences between the 5D III and the 1D X are only frame rate and a more durable construction - 150 000 shutter cycles versus 400 000 for the 1D X.

That is mistaken.

The internal circuitry of the 1D X is more sophisticated and enables the user to take photos in lower light with higher quality.

Here is my own comparison between the 5D III and the 1D X. Both photos were taken at ISO 51 200 at exactly the same exposure and in exact the same light, from the same standpoint and with the same lens. The results are linked to below.

The Canon EOS 5D III, ISO 51 200:

http://www.coldsiberia.net/test3/test__5D9173_cut.jpg;

The Canon EOS-1D X, ISO 51 200:

http://www.coldsiberia.net/test3/test_1D_1034_cut.jpg;

EXIF data for both are here:

The 5D III photo:

http://www.coldsiberia.net/test3/5D_III_exif.jpg;

The 1D X photo:

http://www.coldsiberia.net/test3/1D_X_exif.jpg;

Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway

apersson850
Contributing MemberPosts: 974
Like?

I'm not a professional, but I can afford a 1DX, so why should I have a camera that's inferior to what the professionals have?
So I bought one.
I had an F-1 many years ago. Was good too, for it's time.
--
Anders

Mike921
Regular MemberPosts: 285Gear list
Like?

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

Mike921 wrote:

Sorry bro, sports shooting isn't the ONLY reason to buy a 1DX. If you're going to shoot in dicey weather/environmental conditions and/or going to shoot with only one body - the 1DX is the only Canon choice. I'm definitely an amateur, and when I can only take one body - it's the 1DX.

There is another choice which will handle your weather and is much cheaper.

Second hand 1Dsii, 1Dsiii, 1Div etc.

-- hide signature --

Technically correct, but unless I'm not reading the post correctly, the OP is specifically asking about buying a 1DX, not a 1D3, 1D4, etc....

Mike921's gear list:Mike921's gear list
Canon PowerShot S400 Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X +9 more
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,665
Like?

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

If you want it, are prepared to carry it and can afford it, then go for it.

Richard Franiec
Senior MemberPosts: 2,221Gear list
Like?
In reply to meland, 8 months ago

meland wrote:

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

I started with 20D followed with 40D then upgraded to FF 5DMkII and replaced 40D with 7D for reach reasons. 7D IQ never satisfied me so I've replaced it with 1DMkIV. That was a turning point so when 1Dx was introduced I knew that this is the camera to replace FF 5DII, keeping 1DIV for benefit of 1.3 crop and as a back up for 1Dx. Maybe not financially responsible decisions but I understand you being the "gear freak" and that the happiness have many meanings. It will take awhile before idea of buying any new DSLR will cross my mind. New lenses are a different story.

I agree fully with meland.

RF

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +5 more
Like?
In reply to Richard Franiec, 8 months ago

Richard Franiec wrote:

meland wrote:

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

I started with 20D followed with 40D then upgraded to FF 5DMkII and replaced 40D with 7D for reach reasons. 7D IQ never satisfied me so I've replaced it with 1DMkIV. That was a turning point so when 1Dx was introduced I knew that this is the camera to replace FF 5DII, keeping 1DIV for benefit of 1.3 crop and as a back up for 1Dx. Maybe not financially responsible decisions but I understand you being the "gear freak" and that the happiness have many meanings. It will take awhile before idea of buying any new DSLR will cross my mind. New lenses are a different story.

RF

There is a choice, though, when you have that kind of money, of going for a very expensive camera, or a fantastic lens or two..
The lenses last longer...

-- hide signature --

Paul B Jones
Senior MemberPosts: 1,038Gear list
Like?
Happiness

If you really want a IDX and you can afford it and it will make you happy to own one, then buy it. Life is short.

-- hide signature --
 Paul B Jones's gear list:Paul B Jones's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 400mm f/4.0 DO IS USM Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM +6 more
Sports Shooter
Regular MemberPosts: 447Gear list
Like?
Off topic
In reply to Richard Franiec, 8 months ago

Richard Franiec wrote:

meland wrote:

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

RF

Richard Franiec...I still have the grip and thumb rest on my G9. Great stuff!!!

Sports Shooter's gear list:Sports Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +10 more
Richard Franiec
Senior MemberPosts: 2,221Gear list
Like?
Re: Off topic
In reply to Sports Shooter, 8 months ago

Sports Shooter wrote:

Richard Franiec...I still have the grip and thumb rest on my G9. Great stuff!!!

Good grief!, You're refreshing my memory 

Thank you for that.

RF

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +5 more
Serickmetz
Contributing MemberPosts: 921Gear list
Like?

But ya, when you lose your high and come back down to earth, take a look at the 5d3 or 6d. They will both be more friendly in an amateur setting and stage of learning versus going all out 1dx.

Serickmetz's gear list:Serickmetz's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads