Let's poll it: Do you use CNX2?

Started 8 months ago | Polls
Jeff Klofft
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,533
Like?
Missing a choice
In reply to rhlpetrus, 8 months ago

There needs to be a choice of "It was until a few days ago, but now I see I need to move on"

-- hide signature --

Jeff

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MRM4350
Senior MemberPosts: 1,510Gear list
Like?
Re: Let's poll it: Do you use CNX2?

I just started using Capture NX2 after trying the trial. I really like the u-point feature. I've never been able to figure out layers. For straight conversion I usually use View NX for images that don't need any modification.

-- hide signature --
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,961Gear list
Like?
In reply to MRM4350, 8 months ago

I've been using NX2 because I like those control points.

But I'm certain that NX2 gives me a better conversion than all others I've tried.

Who else has control points???

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,501Gear list
Like?

Slow, awkward, and cumbersome. Did I mention slow?

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
rjenson
Forum MemberPosts: 76Gear list
Like?

Use CNX2 only and it's fast with my D800e NEF files on my fast computer.

rjenson's gear list:rjenson's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
D200_4me
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,407Gear list
Like?
Not really

I own it, but I almost never use it.  I don't see the point in using it anymore, once I became more proficient in Lightroom.   I suppose they need their own converter, but I definitely will not be buying the new version when it's available.  Again, there's no point, because I don't really need it.

-- hide signature --
 D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +4 more
nadjap
Regular MemberPosts: 154
Like?
Re: Not really
In reply to D200_4me, 8 months ago

Tried both Capture One and LR, both more than one time.

Always returned to CNX-2 very soon .

Still working with it until I need a new OS or a new camera.

Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,961Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steve Bingham, 8 months ago

Steve Bingham wrote:

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Steve, NX2 is as fast or faster, on my quad core mac, than pretty much anything else.

But even my duo core Macbook Pro with 8 GB ram can do reasonably well. I admit that when I had a slower experience with my PC/NX2 setup.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
vkyr2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,424Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, 8 months ago

Shotcents wrote:

I've been using NX2 because I like those control points.

But I'm certain that NX2 gives me a better conversion than all others I've tried.

Who else has control points???

U-Points are NIK's technology (nowadays a subsidiary of Google) and thus these are used widely inside their plzg-ins. With their Viveza these are usable in Lightroom and Aperture too, though not completely in the same seamless included way.

Also AFAI recall Lightroom has those adjustment brushes, which can be used to yield similar results.

-- hide signature --

Valentino

Kabe Luna
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,350Gear list
Like?
I use too many different camera brands to use CNX...

...or any other manufacturer's software. My converter needs to handle Canon, Minolta/Sony, Nikon, Fujifilm–all manner of RAW formats, concurrently. I have current copies of Aperture, Lightroom and Capture One Pro. I use Capture One the most.

When I first got serious about Nikon with the purchase of my D3 and D300 in 2007, I licensed Capture NX, but the IQ it delivered was very much like OOC JPEGs: yellow-biased color rendition, lacking in fine detail–partially the result of relatively crude sharpening. And the software itself was buggy and the UI unfathomable (for me).

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +8 more
itchhh
Senior MemberPosts: 7,514
Like?

I find it interesting that most folks use the software than not.  As for me, I'll continue to use it until I can't.  I suspect that will be a long time too... unless there is a major development in either camera's or software.

-- hide signature --

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
~ Jim Elliot

D200_4me
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,407Gear list
Like?
Re: Not really
In reply to nadjap, 8 months ago

It's ok for basic edits and corrections, but trying to be more creative like adding a vignette to an image and it gets much more complicated and clumsy.   That's why I consider NX2 to only be for simple connections and raw conversion, not real editing.    Sure, you CAN do SOME editing, but it's not anywhere close to something like Lightroom for very quick editing (creative or otherwise) and batch processing.

-- hide signature --
 D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +4 more
RyanBoston
Regular MemberPosts: 272Gear list
Like?

Great picture!

RyanBoston's gear list:RyanBoston's gear list
Nikon D5300
hectorsm
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, 8 months ago

Shotcents wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Steve, NX2 is as fast or faster, on my quad core mac, than pretty much anything else.

But even my duo core Macbook Pro with 8 GB ram can do reasonably well. I admit that when I had a slower experience with my PC/NX2 setup.

Robert

I have a 16gb ram 3.4Ghz Core i7 PC with 2X500gb RAID 0 and I can tell you the PC helps but it's still feels slow compared to LR.  You cannot take away the fact that NX2 saves all the edits to the orginal NEF files which will always end up slower by nature.   LR sidecar file method will always beat NX2 in that area.  The problem gets worse with bigger NEF files.  NX-D solves this issue but NX2 will always have it.

Apollo18
Senior MemberPosts: 1,237Gear list
Like?

Have to admit I was surprised by how many people use this clunky outdated piece of software! I do realise the RAW processing is great, as I used to use it myself. For me though, the processing in LR is very nearly as good and the UI and file management it provides are light years ahead.

I'm not criticising people for using CNX2, I guess I'm just saying I admire their patience...

I switched in 2009.

Apollo18's gear list:Apollo18's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III +4 more
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,430Gear list
Like?
Re: Missing a choice
In reply to Jeff Klofft, 8 months ago

Jeff Klofft wrote:

There needs to be a choice of "It was until a few days ago, but now I see I need to move on"

-- hide signature --

Jeff

That's actuall an option for a further poll, that you could start, about what people are planning to do next. The present one is about what has been so far, to gauge CNX2 user base.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,430Gear list
Like?
In reply to itchhh, 8 months ago

itchhh wrote:

I find it interesting that most folks use the software than not. As for me, I'll continue to use it until I can't. I suspect that will be a long time too... unless there is a major development in either camera's or software.

-- hide signature --

~ Jim Elliot

Not really, just a new OS version where it doesn't run properly.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
OnExposure member
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
sirraj
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?

I have used it for years as my primary raw processing program. Have tried several other programs, but I prefer Capture NX2. After looking at NX-D, assuming these are the final features, I will switch to something else, maybe Lightroom.

dwight3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,813Gear list
Like?

I was a bit surprised at the number that claimed CNX2 as their primary PP software (>21% at the time of this post, 146 votes). I would have expected fewer. Of course it could be the case that primarily people with an interest in CNX2 are answering the poll.

dwight3's gear list:dwight3's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S52c Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +9 more
itchhh
Senior MemberPosts: 7,514
Like?

rhlpetrus wrote:

itchhh wrote:

I find it interesting that most folks use the software than not. As for me, I'll continue to use it until I can't. I suspect that will be a long time too... unless there is a major development in either camera's or software.

-- hide signature --

~ Jim Elliot

Not really, just a new OS version where it doesn't run properly.

I here what you're saying, but I'm sticking with Windows 7 64 bit.  There is no way in hell that I'll ever upgrade to Windows 8

-- hide signature --

Renato.
OnExposure member
(after Ed Murrow)

-- hide signature --

~ Jim Elliot

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads