Started 10 months ago | Polls
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,507Gear list
Like?
Let's poll it: Do you use CNX2?
10 months ago
No text.
 rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
POLL
Yes, my main converter.
25.5% 86  votes
Yes, my main soft.
2.1% 7  votes
Yes, my main converter and PP soft.
20.2% 68  votes
Yes, now and then, either conversions or PP.
12.5% 42  votes
Never.
39.8% 134  votes
  Show results
rhlpetrus
Like?
Correction: 2nd should be "Yes, my main PP soft".
In reply to rhlpetrus, 10 months ago
-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim F
Senior MemberPosts: 1,766
Like?
Photo Ninja ...

... no longer use CNX2

dwight3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,015Gear list
Like?
Re: Let's poll it: Do you use CNX2?

I tried CNX when I first got into shooting RAW but found it cumbersome and slow. I tried it again when CNX2 came out but by that time I was heavily into LR/PS and CNX2 offered me no advantage. So I've ignored it since then.

dwight3's gear list:dwight3's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S52c Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +9 more
nikonuserinfo
Regular MemberPosts: 278Gear list
Like?

Yes. And I'm not going to change that anytime soon. Despite I have PS CS5 I'm always going to Capture NX2.
With SSD's, fast processor and 16GB ram it works flawless. A while ago I bought the gigabyte Gforce GTX 650 video card and it works even better than before. Fast and furious.

-- hide signature --

Stany
http://www.nikonuser.info
My former Dpreview profiles ( For which I do not have the Original email address anymore)
Stany Buyle
Photoforfun

nikonuserinfo's gear list:nikonuserinfo's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D200 Nikon D810 +1 more
SergioSpain
Regular MemberPosts: 463Gear list
Like?

yes and I'll keep using it until I can find an easy way to duplicate the wonders that a single click of the D-Lighting effect creates

SergioSpain's gear list:SergioSpain's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +5 more
SRFast
Regular MemberPosts: 427Gear list
Like?
In reply to SergioSpain, 10 months ago

I use Nikon ViewNX2 to do my RAW conversions and basic PP, but I own CNX2 and use it when NVNX2 can't do what I want.  Because CNX2 supports all the Nikon cameras that shoot RAW/NRW and does what I want, I will continue to use it even if Nikon stops providing updates and support.

-- hide signature --

44+ Years of Nikon Ownership
http://www.jliuimages.com

SRFast's gear list:SRFast's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon D2H Nikon D3S Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
rhlpetrus
Like?
In reply to SRFast, 10 months ago

SRFast wrote:

I use Nikon ViewNX2 to do my RAW conversions and basic PP, but I own CNX2 and use it when NVNX2 can't do what I want. Because CNX2 supports all the Nikon cameras that shoot RAW/NRW and does what I want, I will continue to use it even if Nikon stops providing updates and support.

-- hide signature --

44+ Years of Nikon Ownership
http://www.jliuimages.com

At some point the last version of CNX2 won't run in any new OS, you'll need to keep your old computer/OS as well, which will eventually fail. But we all know about that re software and computers, it's just hitting photography, about a decade after it really became prevalent to use digital.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
OnExposure member
(after Ed Murrow)

Janoch
Contributing MemberPosts: 955Gear list
Like?

Yes, the one and only converter/editor here.

Love the large thumbs in VNX2 and the crispness from CNX2, I can not get from other editors. May or may not be my skills... but have learned to appreciate the logics and strengths in CNX2.

Will keep at it until the D800 dies, and then it's "Goodbye, Nikon".

Can not believe, what's happening to this company... fingers crossed for someone with sanity to take over and shake them up. A lot.

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 23,344
Like?
Yes, my main converter and PP soft.

I like it, but if it will be gone it will be gone, I just have to start using a new software. No big deal.

dacrema
Contributing MemberPosts: 578
Like?

It is the only software I use.  Fortunately I replaced the computer and camera bodies not to long ago just before retiring from work.  As this is a hobby and not a business I should be good for a few years.  Hopefully by then there will be something I like as much.

I guess i will have to give LR another try.  Just hate learning and adapting to another workflow.  At first I found NX (and later NX2) cumbersome, but less so that PS (I think PS2 or PS3).  Now I kind of enjoy working with it.  I like the zoom.  I like the sliders.  I like the D-Lighting.  As a D600 owner I like the bandaid for cleaning dust spots.  Most of all I like the way my picture looks at the end of post processing.  I'm sure there is a way to do that with other software but the other software comes with a learning curve that is no fun and gets in the way of my hobby.

RyanBoston
Regular MemberPosts: 357Gear list
Like?

Been using Capture since day one on the original Capture NX. Once Capture NX2 was released I was beyond happy.

Over the years I have used every convertor out there, but keep coming back to Capture NX2. I love it's ease of use, all the tricks I've learned over the past 6 years, the way it saves my edits in one file, control points, mixing channels, etc.

On a Mac it was quick and worked great!

I know I can get the same look using PS or LR, but I don't enjoy it as much as NX2.

I will miss my picture controls the most. I created flat 10, 11, D2x, etc.

RyanBoston's gear list:RyanBoston's gear list
Nikon D5300
Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212Gear list
Like?

I put Never. Because "very rarely" was not there. It is on my computer, but I would not pay for an upgrade in it's current configuration.

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +6 more
rmrcu
Regular MemberPosts: 192
Like?

Yes, my main pp software.

tundracamper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,786
Like?
In reply to rmrcu, 10 months ago

Does it really matter?  Apparently there isn't enough commercial interest for Nikon to continue this portion of their product line.  IMHO, they no longer will offer a complete digital imaging package.

rhlpetrus
Like?
In reply to dacrema, 10 months ago

dacrema wrote:

It is the only software I use. Fortunately I replaced the computer and camera bodies not to long ago just before retiring from work. As this is a hobby and not a business I should be good for a few years. Hopefully by then there will be something I like as much.

I guess i will have to give LR another try. Just hate learning and adapting to another workflow. At first I found NX (and later NX2) cumbersome, but less so that PS (I think PS2 or PS3). Now I kind of enjoy working with it. I like the zoom. I like the sliders. I like the D-Lighting. As a D600 owner I like the bandaid for cleaning dust spots. Most of all I like the way my picture looks at the end of post processing. I'm sure there is a way to do that with other software but the other software comes with a learning curve that is no fun and gets in the way of my hobby.

I do a lot of b&w. I like to do all adjustments in color, including local brightness/contrast using u-poins, very useful for all sorts of images, and finally the b&w conversion, with the filtering, etc. It has worked very well all these years, it's like doing film, actually, in many senses. Here's one of my family faves, D80 and CNX1 still:

-- hide signature --

Renato.
OnExposure member
(after Ed Murrow)

Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,721Gear list
Like?
Use for raw conversion only [nt]
-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
rhlpetrus
Like?
In reply to Patrick McMahon, 10 months ago

Patrick McMahon wrote:

I put Never. Because "very rarely" was not there. It is on my computer, but I would not pay for an upgrade in it's current configuration.

Option 4 is "now and then", which may be interpreted to inlcude "rarely", no? I just wnated to separate the heavy users from others and from never, meaning someone that actually never opens it or doesn't even have it. But that's no issue. The point is that so far 60+ of respondents use it frequently and almost 1/3 as their only soft for conversion and PP.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
OnExposure member
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus
Like?
In reply to tundracamper, 10 months ago

tundracamper wrote:

Does it really matter? Apparently there isn't enough commercial interest for Nikon to continue this portion of their product line. IMHO, they no longer will offer a complete digital imaging package.

Maybe we could send Google/NIK the count. Suppose here at DPR's forums we get 60+% of respondents to say they use it frequently. If that's in any way representative of Nikon users that do RAW/PP, that's a lot of people. I recall DPR doing a poll and about 25% of all respondents said they used the camera maker's soft. But that may be much higher for Nikon users, since CNX2 actually is a PP soft, which is not the case with most other brands, which only does basic conversions and adjustments.

Anyway, even if nothing comes out of it, we are just exercising our right to express our views.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
OnExposure member
(after Ed Murrow)

yray
Contributing MemberPosts: 927
Like?
In reply to Janoch, 10 months ago

Janoch wrote:

Yes, the one and only converter/editor here.

Love the large thumbs in VNX2 and the crispness from CNX2, I can not get from other editors. May or may not be my skills... but have learned to appreciate the logics and strengths in CNX2.

Feel exactly the same about CNX2 for Nikon NEFs, in most cases can get better results than from DxO, in practically every case can get better results than from Adobe.

One other raw converter/editor which is feature rich and does a very decent job with NEFs is AfterShot Pro in my opinion.

Yes, NX-D is a disappointing step backwards in features, and it particularly annoys me that it doesn't keep earlier edits in NEFs, but as long as it works as a decent, if very basic, raw converter/editor -- I can live with it. By the time my CNX2 becomes unusable on the existing OS platforms, NX-D perhaps will have picked up some enhancements. Maybe this is being overly optimistic, but I think having NX-D is a whole lot better than not having it. The glass is half full in this case.

Will keep at it until the D800 dies, and then it's "Goodbye, Nikon".

Can not believe, what's happening to this company... fingers crossed for someone with sanity to take over and shake them up. A lot.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads