Touit 12 or Sony 10-18?

Started 6 months ago | Questions
my name is SS
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Touit 12 or Sony 10-18?
6 months ago

Fellow NEX users:

Given the current discount on Touit 12 that brings the price down to 1k, would you prefer it over Sony 10-18?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Touit 12 or Sony 10-18?
In reply to my name is SS, 6 months ago

my name is SS wrote:

Fellow NEX users:

Given the current discount on Touit 12 that brings the price down to 1k, would you prefer it over Sony 10-18?

I would not prefer a fix 12mm, even if it is very good, over the 10-18 zoom, which is also very good.. unless you need exactly the 12mm focal length.
I have the SEL1018.

My opinion:
The 12 mm prime will give you a different ( wide ) perspective, while the SEL1018 will give you a world of new perspectives.

5nex7's gear list:5nex7's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +54 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brazo
Regular MemberPosts: 285Gear list
Like?
In reply to 5nex7, 6 months ago

Go with the prime it's far sharper than the zoom and  let's face it you don't buy an ultra wide for the long (18mm) end.

Brazo's gear list:Brazo's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +4 more
nzuzarte
Regular MemberPosts: 125Gear list
Like?
SEL1018

The sel1018 is a very good lens optically and you will get more versatility with that.

-- hide signature --

NEX-6 + SEL50F18 + Sigma 30mm F/2.8 + Sigma 19mm F/2.8 + Canon FD50 F/1.4 S.S.C

nzuzarte's gear list:nzuzarte's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
MrT-Man
Regular MemberPosts: 359Gear list
Like?
Re: SEL1018
In reply to nzuzarte, 6 months ago

There's far more people here with the 10-18 than the Touit 12, so that's what most will recommend... personally I have the Touit 12 and have been very happy with it.

Here's a review with comparison shots from each lens: http://3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=145:the-wide-shootout-touitsonycomparison&catid=40:camerasandlenses&Itemid=2

The conclusion seems to be that the Touit 12 is a little bit better, particularly in the edges/corners, but the Sony 10-18 comes close. If you pixel peep the f4 images of the brick wall at full resolution, you'll be able to see the difference.

The 10-18 obviously has the flexibility of a zoom; can go wider; has OSS (which is handy for low light and/or for video); and will give you better coverage of a full frame sensor, if you ever upgrade to an A7.

The Touit 12 has a better build quality, and likely better quality control; has a larger max. aperture (f2.8 versus f4 for the Sony); won't give you magenta corners with an NEX-7, if that's what you're shooting with; and as I mentioned seems to have marginally better image quality.

One thing I'll say is that the Touit 12 is crazy sharp, and on a NEX-7 I can easily do an 18mm equivalent crop and still have extremely good results. So that gives you more flexibility than you might think (though it's obviously easier to frame an 18mm shot with a lens that zooms to 18mm, rather than with a 12mm lens, where you have to visualize where you're going to crop...).

They're both solid lenses. I think it comes down to personal preference and which of the relative attributes are more important to you.

MrT-Man's gear list:MrT-Man's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,337Gear list
Like?
In reply to MrT-Man, 6 months ago

MrT-Man wrote:

There's far more people here with the 10-18 than the Touit 12, so that's what most will recommend... personally I have the Touit 12 and have been very happy with it.

Here's a review with comparison shots from each lens: http://3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=145:the-wide-shootout-touitsonycomparison&catid=40:camerasandlenses&Itemid=2

The conclusion seems to be that the Touit 12 is a little bit better, particularly in the edges/corners, but the Sony 10-18 comes close. If you pixel peep the f4 images of the brick wall at full resolution, you'll be able to see the difference.

The 10-18 obviously has the flexibility of a zoom; can go wider; has OSS (which is handy for low light and/or for video); and will give you better coverage of a full frame sensor, if you ever upgrade to an A7.

The Touit 12 has a better build quality, and likely better quality control; has a larger max. aperture (f2.8 versus f4 for the Sony); won't give you magenta corners with an NEX-7, if that's what you're shooting with; and as I mentioned seems to have marginally better image quality.

One thing I'll say is that the Touit 12 is crazy sharp, and on a NEX-7 I can easily do an 18mm equivalent crop and still have extremely good results. So that gives you more flexibility than you might think (though it's obviously easier to frame an 18mm shot with a lens that zooms to 18mm, rather than with a 12mm lens, where you have to visualize where you're going to crop...).

They're both solid lenses. I think it comes down to personal preference and which of the relative attributes are more important to you.

Mr.T, I'm not in a market for a wide-angle lens but judging from the reviewer's images, the Touit 12 delivers stunning images!!! Thanks for the link, I was able to find comparisons with the 32 Touit vs. 35 Sony OSS.

Cheers,

José

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,666
Like?

MrT-Man wrote:

Personally I'd rather have the Touit

From the samples I've seen colour and contrast look better (why is everybody fixated just on sharpness?) and QC issues seem to make the 10-18 a bit of a gamble (having lost that same gamble twice with the 16/2.8 I'm not keen to take it again)

Glad to see the discount has lasted past 31st January and hope they keep it running a little longer...

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! A5000 & A6000 success.... campaign for *REAL* NEX-5 and NEX-7 replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,829
Like?

Quality first.

Go for the Touit!

MrT-Man
Regular MemberPosts: 359Gear list
Like?
In reply to José B, 6 months ago

It's been a great lens, Jose. The only complaint I have with the Touit 12 is that it doesn't quite have the same level of "Zeiss color" that I see with my other Zeiss lenses. To be clear the color is still very good, it's just doesn't seem to be quite as good. Maybe this is partly because it's a wide angle, so it has to capture a broader dynamic range of lighting in any given shot compared to what a narrower lens would need to do.

But it's so sharp I almost feel like I can just haphazardly point & shoot it at anything, and (given how wide it is) find something good to crop out of whatever I just captured!

Parallaxproblem, the issues I've had with Sony's QC (also on the 16mm) is a key factor that made me choose the Touit instead. I just didn't feel like playing lens roulette. Though I don't know what reputation the 10-18 has with respect to sample variation.

Here are some of the pics I've taken with the Touit 12.

MrT-Man's gear list:MrT-Man's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Brian_Smith
Senior MemberPosts: 1,337
Like?

my name is SS wrote:

Fellow NEX users:

For NEX, the Touit 12mm performs is better/sharper on APS.

However, if an A7/A7R is in your future, I might steer you to the Sony 10-18 since it covers full-frame much better.

Ray Maines
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,274Gear list
Like?
Yes you do.
In reply to Brazo, 6 months ago

Brazo wrote:

Go with the prime it's far sharper than the zoom and let's face it you don't buy an ultra wide for the long (18mm) end.

Don't be a silly goose. Of course you buy the 10-18 for the long end. Everything from 13 to 16 anyway.

And as for total sharpness, how many of your shots have been rejected by potential customers for lack of sharpness anyway? I didn't think so.

The Sony 10-18 is a great lens for a reasonable price and should be purchased before any prime lens that falls within that range. After you learn the limitations of the 10-18 and honestly think you just can't live without the 12 mm prime then go ahead and buy one. I'll bet you wont be asking for advice on this internet forum when that time comes though.

-- hide signature --

Buy books, not gear.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +11 more
my name is SS
Like?
Re: Yes you do.
In reply to Ray Maines, 6 months ago

I appreciate the perspective. But why would you switch from 10-18 to fixed 12 unless it gives you better quality?

As for having a range vs fixed focal length: I'll be supplementing my standard prime and kit zooms, so single focal length below 15 would do just fine for me. Quality is, however, the key...

my name is SS
Like?

Thanks a lot for the detailed response. I do have NEX-7 and am concerned about wide angle performance.

my name is SS
Like?
In reply to Brian_Smith, 6 months ago

Thanks. No, I don't plan to go down the alpha FF road. I love my NEX-7 and want to get the best out of it.

I do plan to add FF later but it will be Canon or Nikon due to the better lens selection.

JeffGo
Contributing MemberPosts: 643Gear list
Like?
In reply to parallaxproblem, 6 months ago

Glad to see the discount has lasted past 31st January and hope they keep it running a little longer...

Zeiss rep told me the discount would expire soon. But I don't actually believe that as $999 makes a lot more sense than $1250 (even though that's what I paid - mine is for sale in the For Sale forum if anyone is looking).

A few shots with the Zeiss are at http://jeffgoldner.zenfolio.com/zeisstouit

It is much sharper in the center than the 1018. Not saying either is a bad choice, they are very different lenses.

JeffGo's gear list:JeffGo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 28mm F2 Ultron Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +8 more
Brazo
Regular MemberPosts: 285Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes you do.
In reply to Ray Maines, 6 months ago

Brazo wrote:

Go with the prime it's far sharper than the zoom and let's face it you don't buy an ultra wide for the long (18mm) end.

Don't be a silly goose. Of course you buy the 10-18 for the long end. Everything from 13 to 16 anyway.

And as for total sharpness, how many of your shots have been rejected by potential customers for lack of sharpness anyway? I didn't think so.

The Sony 10-18 is a great lens for a reasonable price and should be purchased before any prime lens that falls within that range. After you learn the limitations of the 10-18 and honestly think you just can't live without the 12 mm prime then go ahead and buy one. I'll bet you wont be asking for advice on this internet forum when that time comes though.

-- hide signature --

Buy books, not gear.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Well I have my opinion and despite your response it hasn't changed. If you want a prime vs zoom argument there's plenty on the net, if you want magenta corners go for the 10-18;-)

Brazo's gear list:Brazo's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +4 more
FramerDave
Contributing MemberPosts: 562
Like?

my name is SS wrote:

Fellow NEX users:

I have the Touit 12 for my Nex7. I bought it mainly because it is the first German Zeiss AF lens. Too bad it did not have the aperture ring on the lens as the Fuji version. Image quality might be slightly better than the 10-18 but you give up on other focal lengths and OSS. The only complaint I have is the weird focus noise it makes.

Now that A6000 was announced, it looks like the Touit would not work well with OSPDAF (if at all) without firmware upgrade. Since I think this focus system will be the future I would buy the 10-18 if I can do it over again.

José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,337Gear list
Like?

MrT-Man wrote:

It's been a great lens, Jose. The only complaint I have with the Touit 12 is that it doesn't quite have the same level of "Zeiss color" that I see with my other Zeiss lenses. To be clear the color is still very good, it's just doesn't seem to be quite as good. Maybe this is partly because it's a wide angle, so it has to capture a broader dynamic range of lighting in any given shot compared to what a narrower lens would need to do.

But it's so sharp I almost feel like I can just haphazardly point & shoot it at anything, and (given how wide it is) find something good to crop out of whatever I just captured!

Parallaxproblem, the issues I've had with Sony's QC (also on the 16mm) is a key factor that made me choose the Touit instead. I just didn't feel like playing lens roulette. Though I don't know what reputation the 10-18 has with respect to sample variation.

Here are some of the pics I've taken with the Touit 12.

Excellent pictures, love the composition and lighting! Thanks for sharing these, I will surely consider the Touit 12 if I want to add a wide angle lens to my arsenal.

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,829
Like?
In reply to FramerDave, 6 months ago

FramerDave wrote:

my name is SS wrote:

Fellow NEX users:

I have the Touit 12 for my Nex7. I bought it mainly because it is the first German Zeiss AF lens. Too bad it did not have the aperture ring on the lens as the Fuji version. Image quality might be slightly better than the 10-18 but you give up on other focal lengths and OSS. The only complaint I have is the weird focus noise it makes.

Now that A6000 was announced, it looks like the Touit would not work well with OSPDAF (if at all) without firmware upgrade.

firmware update is coming at the end of March / April

Since I think this focus system will be the future I would buy the 10-18 if I can do it over again.

burnymeister
Senior MemberPosts: 1,491Gear list
Like?
Having owned both it is an easy choice - 12mm Touit

The Touit tramps all over the 10-18 and is faster too. Obviously more expensive but you get what you pay for. I got a lemon for a 10-18 but even with that factored in, I'd say on specs alone then 12mm wins.

-- hide signature --

Vern Dewit
Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.explor8ion.com
http://verndewit.com/

burnymeister's gear list:burnymeister's gear list
Sony RX1R RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony Alpha 7S Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads