Can FF lenses be used on ASPC cameras?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Absence Of Faith
Junior MemberPosts: 45Gear list
Like?
Can FF lenses be used on ASPC cameras?
6 months ago

Can FE lenses be used on the current Nexes? If so, are there any drawbacks to using them?

Thanks.

Absence Of Faith's gear list:Absence Of Faith's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,194
Like?
Re: Can FF lenses be used on ASPC cameras?
In reply to Absence Of Faith, 6 months ago

Absence Of Faith wrote:

Can FE lenses be used on the current Nexes? If so, are there any drawbacks to using them?

Thanks.

FF lenses can be used on every E-mount camera, it does not matter if it is a camera with a FF sensor or one with a APS sized sensor.

The FE lenses (FF E-mount lenses work without adapter and, as far as I know without any real drawbacks IQ, or feature wise.

The only drawbacks for FF lenses are Size and Price (the will be larger and more expensive then APS lenses). So when size and /or priceis realy important go for APS lenses, otherwise you could buy both, when you buy FE lenses you will be able to use them on a FF E-mount camera and use the whole sensor, not only a crop part of it

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NikB747
Regular MemberPosts: 127Gear list
Like?

Yes they can, I don't think there are any technical drawbacks.

nik

NikB747's gear list:NikB747's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +9 more
eths
Contributing MemberPosts: 768Gear list
Like?
Yes (nt)
 eths's gear list:eths's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
MrT-Man
Regular MemberPosts: 366Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes (nt)
In reply to eths, 6 months ago

I'm using the 55 FE with my NEX-7 and have gotten great results.

Actually I wouldn't even say that size is always a drawback with full-frame lenses, if you look at the 35 FE and 55 FE for example. The 55 FE and it's only a touch bigger than the APS-C SEL50, despite the fact they're both f/1.8 lenses.

MrT-Man's gear list:MrT-Man's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,846Gear list
Like?

Thanks.

Yes. Any E-mount lens (FE or E) can be used on any E-mount body. When using a FF lens on APSc as you intend to, the camera will use only the middle part of the FF lens for imaging.

For example, you could use either E 35/1.8 OSS or FE 35/2.8 ZA on a NEX-6. Both will provide the same field of view. But since FE lens is designed to create an image circle two times larger than an E lens, you will be using only the middle part of the larger image circle from an FE lens and the same size as the E lens.

Conversely, an E lens can also be used on E-mount FE (FF) bodies. However, since lenses designated as "E" (E 35/1.8 OSS for example) create a smaller image circle, you might want to use the FF with APSc setting on.

The drawbacks to using FE lenses on APSc bodies? As of now, the FE lenses are only higher end and that includes absence of optical stabilization and higher price tag. You can overlook this if you expect to move up to FF in the foreseeable future otherwise you can stay with any of the E lenses.

Although, if you are shopping for something like 70-200/4, then FE is the logical option (the lens will work like 105-300mm equiv on APSc bodies giving you more reach than it would on FF).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
EinsteinsGhost
Like?
Yep
In reply to MrT-Man, 6 months ago

Actually I wouldn't even say that size is always a drawback with full-frame lenses, if you look at the 35 FE and 55 FE for example. The 55 FE and it's only a touch bigger than the APS-C SEL50, despite the fact they're both f/1.8 lenses.

And, FE 35 is even smaller and lighter than E 35 albeit it helps that it is a stop slower at max aperture. But then, on FF it provides the same FOV and DOF as E 24 does on APSc but at half the length.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,194
Like?
Re: Yep
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 6 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Actually I wouldn't even say that size is always a drawback with full-frame lenses, if you look at the 35 FE and 55 FE for example. The 55 FE and it's only a touch bigger than the APS-C SEL50, despite the fact they're both f/1.8 lenses.

Yes, but the 55mm has no OIS and the 50mm has.

And, FE 35 is even smaller and lighter than E 35 albeit it helps that it is a stop slower at max aperture.

And it has no OIS, makes it smaller too...

But then, on FF it provides the same FOV and DOF as E 24 does on APSc but at half the length.

The design of the 35 2.8 FF lens is totaly different than that of the 24mm f1.8 lens, making size comparisons between FF and APS not fair.

EinsteinsGhost
Like?
Re: Yep
In reply to nevercat, 6 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Actually I wouldn't even say that size is always a drawback with full-frame lenses, if you look at the 35 FE and 55 FE for example. The 55 FE and it's only a touch bigger than the APS-C SEL50, despite the fact they're both f/1.8 lenses.

Yes, but the 55mm has no OIS and the 50mm has.

And, FE 35 is even smaller and lighter than E 35 albeit it helps that it is a stop slower at max aperture.

And it has no OIS, makes it smaller too...

But then, on FF it provides the same FOV and DOF as E 24 does on APSc but at half the length.

The design of the 35 2.8 FF lens is totaly different than that of the 24mm f1.8 lens, making size comparisons between FF and APS not fair.

They are both Sonnars and provide the same application/function on respective formats in terms of DOF and FOV. But, ofcourse, not interchangeable on the same format.

Absence Of Faith
Like?

Ahh, thanks guys. I didn't know stabilization is an absent feature of FE lenses. I plan to stick with APS-C lenses for now. In fact, I'm keen on purchasing the E 35\1.8 in the near future. I was just worried that Sony will focus mainly on FF glass in the future and hence my question.

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
bigley Ling
Senior MemberPosts: 1,063
Like?
In reply to nevercat, 6 months ago

nevercat wrote:

Absence Of Faith wrote:

Thanks.

FF lenses can be used on every E-mount camera, it does not matter if it is a camera with a FF sensor or one with a APS sized sensor.

The FE lenses (FF E-mount lenses work without adapter and, as far as I know without any real drawbacks IQ, or feature wise.

The only drawbacks for FF lenses are Size and Price (the will be larger and more expensive then APS lenses). So when size and /or priceis realy important go for APS lenses, otherwise you could buy both, when you buy FE lenses you will be able to use them on a FF E-mount camera and use the whole sensor, not only a crop part of it

plus when using FE glass on an APS-C camera, you are gaining a heavier lens, yet you are only the center portion of the lens.

Absence Of Faith
Like?
In reply to bigley Ling, 6 months ago

bigley Ling wrote:

nevercat wrote:

Absence Of Faith wrote:

Thanks.

plus when using FE glass on an APS-C camera, you are gaining a heavier lens, yet you are only the center portion of the lens.

Are there disadvantages when using only the center portion of the lens?

EinsteinsGhost
Like?

bigley Ling wrote:

nevercat wrote:

Absence Of Faith wrote:

Thanks.

Actually, no. It is usually an advantage since lenses are optically at their best in the center. So, a FF lens on APSc will mostly use that part of the lens (think FF lenses as being overengineered for crop bodies).

The disadvantage could be cost as FF sensors are typically designed to a higher spec. But if you were shopping for an APSc prime for a Canon DSLR, for example, I doubt you will find even one APSc lens. Nikon has one (35/1.8).

Joe Ogiba
Senior MemberPosts: 2,918Gear list
Like?

Absence Of Faith wrote:

Ahh, thanks guys. I didn't know stabilization is an absent feature of FE lenses. I plan to stick with APS-C lenses for now. In fact, I'm keen on purchasing the E 35\1.8 in the near future. I was just worried that Sony will focus mainly on FF glass in the future and hence my question.

Wow, the misinformation is out of hand about OSS in FE lenses. I use the A7 28-70 FE OSS kit lens on my full frame VG900 and OSS works great on it. The 24-70mm FE OSS is another one with OSS along with the 70-200 FE OSS.

28-70mm FE OSS on FF VG900

Joe Ogiba's gear list:Joe Ogiba's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
EinsteinsGhost
Like?

The high end prime lenses (Zeiss) can be expected to not to have stabilization. I don't expect 85mm lens to have it either.

However, the zoom lenses will have it, as all E-mount zoom lenses do. But of course I don't think you would be considering normal or ultra wide FF zooms.

bigley Ling
Senior MemberPosts: 1,063
Like?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

nevercat wrote:

Absence Of Faith wrote:

Thanks.

Actually, no. It is usually an advantage since lenses are optically at their best in the center. So, a FF lens on APSc will mostly use that part of the lens (think FF lenses as being overengineered for crop bodies).

The disadvantage could be cost as FF sensors are typically designed to a higher spec. But if you were shopping for an APSc prime for a Canon DSLR, for example, I doubt you will find even one APSc lens. Nikon has one (35/1.8).

As EinsteinsGhost said, by using only the center portion of the lens, you are essentially using the sharpest and best parts of the lens, but I iterate the idea of carrying extra glass comes at increased cost, plus added weight.

Brian_Smith
Senior MemberPosts: 1,378
Like?

Absence Of Faith wrote:

Can FE lenses be used on the current Nexes?

yes

If so, are there any drawbacks to using them?

no

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads