Wide angle for A7/R?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
iullian
Forum MemberPosts: 81Gear list
Like?
Wide angle for A7/R?
6 months ago

Now, there are enough owners and testers, so an answer must be out there.

I will be travelling through the capitals of some European countries and I want to travel light.

So, in addition to my FE 35/2.8 and FE 55/1.8, which wide should I seek for?

- light and relative small

- sharp when stopped down

- easy to correct in PP or already optically corrected (you know, architecture is the main photography during this trips).

The ones I'm thinking of are:

- Voigtlander 15/4.5 - I saw some corrected photos taken with A7 and it looked promising

- Voigtlander 21/1.8 - expensive solution, but...

- Samyang/Rokinon 14/2.8 (T3.5) - correctable in PP, but on the huge side

- Sony 20/2.8 - I have not seen any photos in combination with A7/R

Suggestions, please?

iullian's gear list:iullian's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,662Gear list
Like?
Re: Wide angle for A7/R?
In reply to iullian, 6 months ago

iullian wrote:

I am thinking this one. LR corrects the distortion pretty well, and on an A7r it could be used as a 14mm FF, and 21mm (equiv) on an APS-C crop, effectively covering most of the ultrawide range.

It's been tested on FF and APS-C on DXO and is rated very highly on both formats.

The issues for me are the weight (like you) and also the upcoming wide angle zoom that's on the roadmap for this year, which could be a more versatile option.

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.
http://500px.com/seachicken

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zeisschen
Regular MemberPosts: 110Gear list
Like?

Zeiss Touit 12mm 2.8. I have this lens and love it on the A7r. It will give you a 18mm FF equivalent view and reduced to crop mode (10MP on A7), but those 10MP are all sharp into the corners. If you don't want to worry about corner performance, vignetting or violet corner I'd take this. And it can AF as well!

Zeisschen's gear list:Zeisschen's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +4 more
ZzzooM3
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?

I will be travelling through the capitals of some European countries and I want to travel light.

- easy to correct in PP or already optically corrected (you know, architecture is the main photography during this trips).

- Voigtlander 15/4.5 - I saw some corrected photos taken with A7 and it looked promising

Suggestions, please?

None of them. Get the kit lens or the Vario-Tessar ZA for your trip. Leave the others home.

ZzzooM3's gear list:ZzzooM3's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +8 more
iullian
Forum MemberPosts: 81Gear list
Like?
In reply to ZzzooM3, 6 months ago

ZzzooM3 wrote:

Suggestions, please?

None of them. Get the kit lens or the Vario-Tessar ZA for your trip. Leave the others home.

I sold the kit lens after a week of use. After I used the FE lenses 35/2.8 (own it) and 55/1.8 (only a day - I ordered mine and still waiting from Amazon shipment) I became very picky.

The Zeiss 24-70/4 does not offer me much, except the 24 wide. But I would not buy a 24 wide for >1000€

iullian's gear list:iullian's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Richt2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,897Gear list
Like?

My suggestion is to do a search. There are many threads discussing.

i even replied to one yesterday listing all the best WA lenses for A7r

Richt2000's gear list:Richt2000's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +9 more
artistguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 709Gear list
Like?

Your wanting architecture so have a look at the Canon TS17, expensive but very good. I own the Samyang 14mm, it's sharp stopped down but does have a difficult distortion when used with straight edges and CA when the sky and trees are involved, it is heavy (reassuringly so!) but cheap.

jafleming3
Regular MemberPosts: 444Gear list
Like?

Have you considered using your FE 35mm lens for panorama shots (stacked as well as sideways), stitching them together with PTGui Pro software?  I've used this technique to get an entire scene in one frame without lens distortions of any sort.  Something to bear in mind:  you'll end up with some very large image files!

cheers,

john

jafleming3's gear list:jafleming3's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7S
Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,283
Like?
In reply to jafleming3, 6 months ago

Why not buy a small silent camera like the rx100ii. Always good to take two cameras and I speak from experience. The a7r as much as I love it is VERY loud.

-- hide signature --

fredyr

Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,569Gear list
Like?
In reply to jafleming3, 6 months ago

jafleming3 wrote:

Have you considered using your FE 35mm lens for panorama shots (stacked as well as sideways), stitching them together with PTGui Pro software? I've used this technique to get an entire scene in one frame without lens distortions of any sort. Something to bear in mind: you'll end up with some very large image files!

cheers,

john

Actually, as I found with the NEX-6, panoramas of interiors  - even shot vertically - bend diagonal structures unacceptably. You need a real wide angle.

As soon as I have time this week, I will test and post my 17mm f3.5 Tokina AT-X Pro. Big, but smaller than the 14mm Samyang. Full frame - but I have never used it except on my old D70 10 years ago, when it was much superior to my 20mm f2.8 Nikkor AF, even on APS-C. A few interior shots with it looked wide open looked promising.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
verybiglebowski
Senior MemberPosts: 2,964Gear list
Like?

iullian wrote:

Suggestions, please?

I tried few UWA lenses on A7r here: http://verybiglobo.blogspot.cz/2014/01/sony-alpha-a7-ilce-7-and-sony-alpha-a7r_30.html , and I would suggest to consider Olympus OM 18/3.5 or 21/3.5…

-- hide signature --

Don't trust your eyes or mind, they might betray you! Trust only comments posted on the forums, because there is the absolute truth!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viktor_viktor/
http://verybiglobo.blogspot.com/

S3ZAi
Contributing MemberPosts: 732Gear list
Like?

I'd go with Mel's suggestion, I am using an old model Tokina 17mm and for now it's the only lens that doesn't give magenta corners and vignetting is very modest, also, I bought mine for just 80 euros.

A7r + Tokina 17mm

-- hide signature --

Sezai E., philosophy geek, bibliophile and creative photographer.
Cheers!

S3ZAi's gear list:S3ZAi's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Fred Briggs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006Gear list
Like?

Have you considered the Sony 10-18?

Some examples here (all those where EXIF shows focal length below 24mm):

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3629359

Fred

-- hide signature --

"We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

Fred Briggs's gear list:Fred Briggs's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
halbraun
Regular MemberPosts: 253Gear list
Like?
In reply to Fred Briggs, 6 months ago

I found a little Nikon AF 20mm 2.8. Very small. Fast enough on the A7, good color, not much in the way of distortion.. And you can find one for a couple of hundred dollars and easily sell it for what you paid.for it.

lets you play with that focal length without a lot of risk.. Mine is a keeper.

halbraun's gear list:halbraun's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic +2 more
kkx72
New MemberPosts: 13Gear list
Like?

Voigtlander20mm F3.5 SL

Compact size SLR lens without colour shift problem

kkx72's gear list:kkx72's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2
japa
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
In reply to kkx72, 6 months ago

I think the Voitlander 20 3.5 II is a great little lens. I have it in a Canon mount and use it with Metabones III and get full EXIF data. Hard infinity stop, great build, easy focus ergonomics, no colour cast, and small,small,small! Bought mint used for $399.

Micky1976
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?

iullian wrote:

Suggestions, please?

Zeiss needs to get it's A7 E mount wide angle zoom (16/17-35) on the market sooner rather than later.  The 24-70 zoom looks OKish, but I am hoping the wide angle will be better.

-- hide signature --

Micky

Micky1976's gear list:Micky1976's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
ZzzooM3
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?

iullian wrote:

ZzzooM3 wrote:

Suggestions, please?

I sold the kit lens after a week of use. After I used the FE lenses 35/2.8 (own it) and 55/1.8 (only a day - I ordered mine and still waiting from Amazon shipment) I became very picky.

The Zeiss 24-70/4 does not offer me much, except the 24 wide. But I would not buy a 24 wide for >1000€

Perhaps so but it offers single lens flexibility for use during travel minimizing how much you have to carry and how much you can get stolen which is why I suggested the kit lens. I ALWAYS hear of camera and phone thefts from friends and acquaintances when they travel overseas. I think there must be an invisible tag that yells, I'm a tourist -- rob me!

ZzzooM3's gear list:ZzzooM3's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +8 more
ravinj
Regular MemberPosts: 448Gear list
Like?
In reply to ZzzooM3, 6 months ago

+1.

ravinj's gear list:ravinj's gear list
Leica S2 Sony Alpha 7 Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +4 more
calxn
Contributing MemberPosts: 796Gear list
Like?
Maybe wait till you need one?

Unless you're need a wide angle TODAY, it's probably best to wait.  This system is 3 1/2 months old.  Go ahead and buy any of those options, but you might be filled with regret if Sony/Zeiss announces something in a few weeks.

As for me, I a have a 10-18 that I am using on my Nex 7 till Sony/Zeiss presents a better option.  That new wide angle zoom will come out just when the weather will turns.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads