New G1X II Sample Images

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
requa
Regular MemberPosts: 210Gear list
Like?
New G1X II Sample Images
10 months ago

I looked but couldn't find this already posted. Please forgive (or delete) if this is a duplicate. I just ran across new sample photos added to the Canon USA site for the G1X II.

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/images/cameras/powershot/PS_G1X_Mark_II/sampleimg/original_sample_1.JPG

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/images/cameras/powershot/PS_G1X_Mark_II/sampleimg/original_sample_2.JPG

It's all coming together in bits and pieces -- still waiting for a PDF of the user manual to go over. On the one hand, I'm already tired of all the hype and discussion. On the other, it's a little like anticipating Christmas. Enjoy

Dan

requa's gear list:requa's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon PowerShot S100
Canon PowerShot G1 X II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rally Man
Regular MemberPosts: 413Gear list
Like?
Re: New G1X II Sample Images
In reply to requa, 10 months ago

Still at ISO 100 only, darn.  Would appreciate a higher ISO.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
requa
Like?
In reply to Rally Man, 10 months ago

Agreed. My first impression was that Sample 1, identified as a shot in Background Defocus mode, is not really a good sample of that technology. Even a smaller sensor should be able to blur a background with that much separation from the subject. I'd say the samples release thus far do not represent significant "stress testing" of this camera. I'm still looking forward to full reviews in competent non-marketing hands, but still anxious and hopeful.

zakka
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?

requa wrote:

Agreed. My first impression was that Sample 1, identified as a shot in Background Defocus mode, is not really a good sample of that technology. Even a smaller sensor should be able to blur a background with that much separation from the subject.

Which smaller sensor camera are you thinking about? If the EXIFs are correct, that's a pretty good background blur given the focal distance (45 mm).

Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,062Gear list
Like?
Defocus Effect in first sample...

requa wrote:

I looked but couldn't find this already posted. Please forgive (or delete) if this is a duplicate. I just ran across new sample photos added to the Canon USA site for the G1X II.

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/images/cameras/powershot/PS_G1X_Mark_II/sampleimg/original_sample_1.JPG

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/images/cameras/powershot/PS_G1X_Mark_II/sampleimg/original_sample_2.JPG

It's all coming together in bits and pieces -- still waiting for a PDF of the user manual to go over. On the one hand, I'm already tired of all the hype and discussion. On the other, it's a little like anticipating Christmas. Enjoy

Dan

Interesting to see some examples of Background Defocus from this camera.  I experimented with this setting on another Canon cameras recently and have looked at samples from Sony.  I know they can't generate proper 'out of focus points of light' but cameras that can soften the backgrounds like this are probably going to become standard fare in the near future.
I note again that the effect is not perfect.  If you look at the shoulder of the woman in the first pic, and again at the edges of her clothing, there's a ghosting artifact against the background.  I personally find this too noticeable (and almost a little concerning at the ISO used on these samples) but the overall effect is initially impressive at first glance and I can see it being a top selling feature.

Keep the samples coming as you find them.  I am very interested in seeing what this new camera can do.  This is what we'll be sitting with for the next year or two as Canon's top PowerShot so i'm following the details as they are released.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +6 more
J_dpr
Contributing MemberPosts: 521
Like?

Thanks for posting. The second image is at full wide as far as I can see from the exif. Corner sharpness seems to be really good.

Jan

requa
Like?
In reply to zakka, 10 months ago

zakka wrote:

requa wrote:

Agreed. My first impression was that Sample 1, identified as a shot in Background Defocus mode, is not really a good sample of that technology. Even a smaller sensor should be able to blur a background with that much separation from the subject.

Which smaller sensor camera are you thinking about? If the EXIFs are correct, that's a pretty good background blur given the focal distance (45 mm).

I wasn't thinking of any specific camera. What I really meant, I guess, was that this camera, with its larger sensor and glass, should be able to produce comparable results without relying on electronic manipulation, and would thereby avoid the ghosting another poster pointed out above. What I'd really like to see is a set of two or more images taken with and without the Background Defocus mode to demonstrate how the camera performs each way. I guess that'll have to wait for full reviews.

nghiacc
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
In reply to J_dpr, 10 months ago

Look like a great camera for travel. I will definitely buy one to go along with my SL1.

papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 19,685Gear list
Like?
Cleverly chosen samples

that would show most cameras off in a good light. That being said it certainly looks like it has a decent lens and sensor and is able to deliver excellent results, nothing to worry about from what I'm seeing anyway.

-- hide signature --

“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Sigma DP3 Merrill +4 more
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,062Gear list
Like?
Was a tripod used for shot #2?

The second image is fairly sharp across the entire frame.
But I notice the exposure was 0.3 seconds, probably because the aperture was set at f/6.3
Any else think this a tripod was used?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +6 more
VaLeX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,063Gear list
Like?
for sure
In reply to Marco Nero, 10 months ago

I bet a tripod is used. Not only that the image is very sharp for 0.3 s., but horizontal lines are indeed, very well aligned. Not so easy when hand-holding camera. Does this camera have a level function?

-- hide signature --

Comments, criticism, suggestions: it goes without saying!
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k107/huzururmuz/

VaLeX's gear list:VaLeX's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited
CAcreeks
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,812
Like?
why f/6.3? tripod for shot #2?
In reply to Marco Nero, 10 months ago

I wonder if f/6.3 was chosen to maximize DOF. You would think that diffraction would start to be an issue at that aperture, but the architectural details are very sharp.

The EXIF maker notes say "Image Stabilization = 257." Do any Canon experts know what that means? You would think that the photographer would disable IS if on a tripod.

Marco Nero wrote:

The second image is fairly sharp across the entire frame.
But I notice the exposure was 0.3 seconds, probably because the aperture was set at f/6.3. Any else think this a tripod was used?

Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,671Gear list
Like?
Re: why f/6.3? tripod for shot #2?
In reply to CAcreeks, 10 months ago

CAcreeks wrote:

I wonder if f/6.3 was chosen to maximize DOF. You would think that diffraction would start to be an issue at that aperture, but the architectural details are very sharp.

The EXIF maker notes say "Image Stabilization = 257." Do any Canon experts know what that means? You would think that the photographer would disable IS if on a tripod.

Remember that this is a large sensor camera, just a little smaller than APS-c.  So diffraction does not start on this camera until about f11.  F16 would be well into the diffraction region, but f6.3 would not.  That would be just fine.

I wondered about the image stabilization also and do not know what 257 means. Perhaps it is some code?  Anyway, I believe that Canon's new IS designs automatically detect when the camera is on a tripod and adapt.  The IS system has become intelligent and can detect tripods, or panning motion, etc, and set itself to proper function.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
requa
Like?
Re: for sure
In reply to VaLeX, 10 months ago

VaLeX wrote:

I bet a tripod is used. Not only that the image is very sharp for 0.3 s., but horizontal lines are indeed, very well aligned. Not so easy when hand-holding camera. Does this camera have a level function?

-- hide signature --

Comments, criticism, suggestions: it goes without saying!
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k107/huzururmuz/

G1X has a level function, I haven't seen any mention of it on the Mark II, either as retained or eliminated, but I can't see Canon removing a feature that doesn't add to the bulk. We'll know when we see a user's manual.

I would expect this shot to be on a tripod certainly. Perhaps the code mentioned in the EXIF data is the code signifying IS has been turned off due to a tripod mount, but this is purely guess-work.

wshinn
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
Re: for sure

I don't remember which site I was on but it did show a video with the rear of the camera and it looked exactly like the G16 level.

Bill

wshinn's gear list:wshinn's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon PowerShot G7 X
Rally Man
Regular MemberPosts: 413Gear list
Like?
Canon UK website has some sample images too
In reply to wshinn, 10 months ago

They have a wide range of ISO values and apertures, but are pretty much worthless since they are so small, but in case you want to look at them...

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_Camera/PowerShot/powershot_g1x_mark_ii/?WT.ac=SS_G1XMarkii_UK

phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,710Gear list
Like?
What exif veiwer are you using that digs that deep to IS?
In reply to CAcreeks, 10 months ago

Just curious, could be helpful.

Thanks.

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
Rohith Thumati
Regular MemberPosts: 432
Like?
Re: What exif veiwer are you using that digs that deep to IS?
In reply to phazelag, 10 months ago

phazelag wrote:

Just curious, could be helpful.

Thanks.

You can usually get pretty deep exit data from Lightroom,aperture, or even the preview app on macs.

For these photos, you don't need to bother, though. Canon posted detailed exif with the photos:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_g1_x_mark_ii#SampleImages

evandijken
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
Re: What exif veiwer are you using that digs that deep to IS?
In reply to phazelag, 10 months ago

My KUSO Exif Viewer says: "Image Stabilization: Unknown (257)".

I think wich means: It is unknown if the IS was working.

evandijken's gear list:evandijken's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,605Gear list
Like?
Re: why f/6.3? tripod for shot #2?
In reply to Dale Buhanan, 10 months ago

Dale Buhanan wrote:

CAcreeks wrote:

Remember that this is a large sensor camera, just a little smaller than APS-c. So diffraction does not start on this camera until about f11. F16 would be well into the diffraction region, but f6.3 would not. That would be just fine.

That's just theory. The 15-85IS - which is a somewhat similar lens - already gets a bit soft at f/8 and by f/9 it goes rapidly downhill over most of the zoom range. I would not be surprised to see the same with this lens, but starting around f/6.3 already because of the slightly smaller sensor and larger maximum aperture (= peaks earlier).

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads