G15: not a bad DR for a small sensor @medium ISO...

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
edu T
Senior MemberPosts: 1,106Gear list
Like?
G15: not a bad DR for a small sensor @medium ISO...
10 months ago

canon old 1/1.7" front-lit CMOS  sensor (what else?), sun just below the skyline, f/2.8, ISO 800, SooC jpeg (i.e. without in-camera "DR correction").

...unless I'm being way TOO indulgent towards detail (or the lack thereof) and noise.
Hmm... am I?

Canon PowerShot G15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
peter42y
Senior MemberPosts: 2,159Gear list
Like?
Re: G15: not a bad DR for a small sensor @medium ISO...
In reply to edu T, 10 months ago

Nice picture indeed.

peter42y's gear list:peter42y's gear list
Ricoh Caplio R8 Canon IXUS 310 HS Nikon 1 V1 Canon EOS M
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,631Gear list
Like?
In reply to edu T, 10 months ago

Nice camera, indeed. And even better in good hands. I thought these things before I tried newer DSLR. And sadly for G15, it was like "Holly cow", these new machines are like another dimension, not just step higher. Of course I can't directly compare DSLR OR ILC with compact cam. But while it can sit in the same price range, I actually can...
But If we look at portability built quality, you know why is that. I wish every cam was made that way. Only time I found problems with DR and clipping was near macro outside. Wonder why this particular discipline is so hard for camera sensor, but I've experienced burned highlights very often in macro mode... Anyway I hope you like it and you enjoy that lovely cam.
--
Why does he do it?

crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Miss tilly
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to crashpc, 10 months ago

I have a new G15 and learning to use it. I had a G9, G10 and G11 before and think the G15 is on another level in terms of performance and images. It is early to say but I hope to have as long as my G10 as a faithful companion. this image, taken in difficult conditions is credit to photographer and camera.

edu T
Like?
In reply to peter42y, 9 months ago

peter42y wrote:

Nice picture indeed.

Thanks for the nice words. (I'm afraid you're probably erring on the optimistic side though...)

edu T
Like?
In reply to Miss tilly, 9 months ago

Miss tilly wrote:

I have a new G15 and learning to use it. I had a G9, G10 and G11 before and think the G15 is on another level in terms of performance and images. It is early to say but I hope to have as long as my G10 as a faithful companion. this image, taken in difficult conditions is credit to photographer and camera.

Thank you, we still do try...

And yet there's so much room for improvement! You know, there's a pretty bright side to shooting RAW or jpeg+RAW, that is, allowing for a sizable extra leeway for improvement (or at least to try and have a play with).

For instance, the allowable amount of obvious noise is a very subjective criterion (methinks) and as such it's better left out of the camera pre-programmed innards; even more so because, once the image is de-noised and stuck in a JPEG, you can't put the smoothed out detail back into it any more.

If you're interested in one crude approach by yours truly...

...open this straight-out-of-cam JPEG, full-sized or "original 4000x3000", in one browser tab...

...and then this PP'ed RAW in another one and switch back and forth between both.

(WRT lifting shadows, the guy crossing the street from the left probably felt a difference.)

Chipsthe1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,672Gear list
Like?
In reply to Miss tilly, 9 months ago

Miss tilly wrote:

I have a new G15 and learning to use it. I had a G9, G10 and G11 before and think the G15 is on another level in terms of performance and images. It is early to say but I hope to have as long as my G10 as a faithful companion. this image, taken in difficult conditions is credit to photographer and came

I have utilized a G10 since shortly after they became available. Carry in my pocket whenever I go out. Even if I take the 5D I still have the G10 in my pocket, just in case.

Keep thinking I should replace but so far have not made the change. Maybe it is sentimental but just not sure the G15 or G16 is an adequate replacement. Would appreciate your opinion on the matter.

Chipsthe1's gear list:Chipsthe1's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
panamforeman
Contributing MemberPosts: 869Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chipsthe1, 9 months ago

Well, I have two G10s. (had 3 but sold one) I used them for family portraits and landscapes, but only at ISO 200 or below. When you get above ISO 200 noise becomes an issue. I very seldom shoot RAW, but I am in favor of it, just not every photo I take.

I also own the G15 & 16. IMHO they are far better cameras, particularly in lower light settings and taking photos of moving subjects. All-around great "carry-all-the-time" cameras! The DR is just right and AF is "snappy" and if you like Macros they both excel. (but so did the G10) G15 is Digic 5 processor, the G16 Digic 6. I still haven't made up my mind if the Digic 6 is better than the 5. Some of the Digic 6 photos seem "mushy" at high ISOs, but very few, IMO.

As for the G10s I own? I'm going to put them up on E-Bay because they have outlived their usefulness. The G1X has supplanted the G10 for portraits and landscapes; And I'm sure that the G1X MkII will be even better. Can't speak to the G1X II yet, (but I will as soon as I get my hands on one) but as for the G1X I can't say enough good things. I know it's controversial with some folks, and so-be-it, but IMHO it's the best Canon has done, so far, with a "large" P&S! I'm very much looking forward to the G1X MkII. As for the complaints about the G1X MkII? Some are very passionate about their "anti" views! Truth is though, we really won't know anything, for sure, until it gets into the hands of Camera users across the board.

My take is, that it will be an overwhelming positive response!

panamforeman's gear list:panamforeman's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120
rkhndjr
Forum ProPosts: 12,278
Like?

Chipsthe1 wrote:

Miss tilly wrote:

I have a new G15 and learning to use it. I had a G9, G10 and G11 before and think the G15 is on another level in terms of performance and images. It is early to say but I hope to have as long as my G10 as a faithful companion. this image, taken in difficult conditions is credit to photographer and came

I have utilized a G10 since shortly after they became available. Carry in my pocket whenever I go out. Even if I take the 5D I still have the G10 in my pocket, just in case.

Keep thinking I should replace but so far have not made the change. Maybe it is sentimental but just not sure the G15 or G16 is an adequate replacement. Would appreciate your opinion on the matter.

I felt the same about the G10 and used one for 2 years. If it makes you happy I would stay with it. I had a G15 and it was no better IMO. I went M43 but still use a LX3 all the time.

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith
Eternity was in that moment.

Miss tilly
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?

Well, there is a question, My opinion will be somewhat bias but is my honest opinion. The G10 is a superb little camera, many reviews slated it for noise at high ISO, I was rarely disappointed with my G10 up to 400. The build quality and form factor are still unsurpassed, that lovely cold metal feel first thing in the morning is something special. It is not a pocket camera, I knew that when I bought it but with a belt bag it is unobtrusive and convenient. So, why did I change to the G15, well, time marches on and advances in technology cannot be ignored. The fast lens and new processor are superb and although still learning I think it is a worthy successor.

The build quality is praised in most reviews and whilst it is very good indeed not up to the G10 standard.

I had a brief dalliance with  Nikon P7800 which turned out to have a faulty EVF which I returned and bought the G15 which should have been my first choice anyway. I am used to the OVF which I think is marginally improved, other advances on the G10? That glass covered LCD is superb, it is the clearest detailed display I have seen on any camera. I have never felt the multi angle screen was a deal breaker. The step zoom feature I really like and a feature many people do not appreciate, with a click of the front wheel you can zoom in steps from 28 to 35 to 50 etc. great if you were used to primes with a dslr  and well worth training yourself to use it. In summary! I loved the G10 and until the G15 have not been tempted to upgrade. I have had other cameras but always kept the G10. I think the G15 will be my constant companion for many years to come. Hope this helps, sorry if it is a bit long winded.

Chipsthe1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,672Gear list
Like?

I want to thank you for the comments. I have carried the G10 around for almost five years and one always hates to part with an old friend. I am 82 years of age and have been taking pictures for about 75 of those years. Started with an old Kodak box camera my parents had. Had two view finders, one for horizontal and the other for vertical. It was during the Great Depression but my parents would let me finish off a roll with one or two photos. I practiced a lot with no film at all in that old camera.

I gave the G1 x a try but the shutter lag bothered me plus it would not fit in my pocket as the G10 has done. So it was returned. I will give the G16 a try and think it will certainly fit my needs for carrying around all the time, even when I take the 5D out for formal shooting.

Again I thank you each and everyone for your very helpful comments.

Chipsthe1's gear list:Chipsthe1's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads