A7R + Canon EF lenses. Novoflex or Metabones III ?

Started 8 months ago | Questions
DFPanno
Senior MemberPosts: 2,767Gear list
Like?
A7R + Canon EF lenses. Novoflex or Metabones III ?
8 months ago

I am interested in buying a A7R and using it with Canon EF lenses.

I understand that the Metabones allows AF but I have read that it doesn't work that well and requires mods to reduce reflections.

Is it better to just go with a "dumb" Novoflex adaptor and plan on Manual AF?

Any insights greatly appreciated.

DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,492Gear list
Like?
Re: A7R + Canon EF lenses. Novoflex or Metabones III ?
In reply to DFPanno, 8 months ago

DFPanno wrote:

I understand that the Metabones allows AF but I have read that it doesn't work that well and requires mods to reduce reflections.

interested in this as well

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dennis Zimmerman
Regular MemberPosts: 357
Like?

I have A7 , Metabones III and Canon EF lenses.  Mine works just fine with the EF lenses.  AF is slow but does work with certain EF lenses.  Be sure to check out Metabones web site for AF compatible lenses.  I still use MF on them anyway as MF is incredibly easy to use with focus peaking.

I have no other issues and not sure what you are referring to on mods.  I don't have experience with Novaflex but here good things.

-- hide signature --

D. Zimmerman

verybiglebowski
Senior MemberPosts: 3,109Gear list
Like?

DFPanno wrote:

If you don't need AF and in most situations it will be rather slow, the biggest advantage of Metabones is that you can control aperture from camera. With Novoflex, you won't be able to set the aperture, unless you use Canon EOS body to preset it (by holding DOF priview button, while removing lens).

On the other hand, there are several alternatives to Metabones, usually much cheapper and according to user reviews - as good if not better than Metabones. My problem with Metabones SA III is the infinity focus with Zeiss ZE lenses (just can't reach it) and difficult service logistic including firmware update.

-- hide signature --

Don't trust your eyes or mind, they might betray you! Trust only comments posted on the forums, because there is the absolute truth!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viktor_viktor/
http://verybiglobo.blogspot.com/

Micky1976
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
Me too (no text)
In reply to José B, 8 months ago

José B wrote:

DFPanno wrote:

interested in this as well

-- hide signature --

Micky

Micky1976's gear list:Micky1976's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
DFPanno
Like?
Metabones III then…...
In reply to verybiglebowski, 8 months ago

verybiglebowski wrote:

DFPanno wrote:

If you don't need AF and in most situations it will be rather slow, the biggest advantage of Metabones is that you can control aperture from camera. With Novoflex, you won't be able to set the aperture, unless you use Canon EOS body to preset it (by holding DOF priview button, while removing lens).

On the other hand, there are several alternatives to Metabones, usually much cheapper and according to user reviews - as good if not better than Metabones. My problem with Metabones SA III is the infinity focus with Zeiss ZE lenses (just can't reach it) and difficult service logistic including firmware update.

-- hide signature --

Don't trust your eyes or mind, they might betray you! Trust only comments posted on the forums, because there is the absolute truth!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viktor_viktor/
http://verybiglobo.blogspot.com/

I am not really interested in having to set aperture that way so I will go with the Metabones unless you can name a better adaptor.

Thanks for the response.

Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
Tim Devine
Contributing MemberPosts: 905Gear list
Like?

As someone else noted, aperture control is the gotcha with Novoflex.  Until they come out with a solution that at the minimum gives you the ability to set aperture, you're probably better off with the Metabones adapter.

Focus works well on the Metabones, but it's slow....at least on my lenses.  I have not had issues with reflections, but I don't shoot TS-E lenses which seem most prone to causing the reflection issue.  I used this on my adapter, just as a precaution.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BGH0Y0W/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can't say it made any difference, but I guess I feel better.  

-Tim

DFPanno wrote:

Tim Devine's gear list:Tim Devine's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sigma DP1 Merrill +12 more
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,157Gear list
Like?

I am using the A7 with MBIII mainly with 24, 28, 35 image stabilized primes and the 17-40, oh and occasionally 100/2 and the EF-s lens 60 macro.

I do sometimes use the 24-105 and other zooms, but they balance better on my Canon bodies.

For my use, the exif info, the image stabilization, and the AF, although slow are the reason I got an A7 in the first place.

I've read about taping the adapter but don't plan to do that as I see no need.

I'm not going to recommend anything except maybe going into a store and trying for yourself.

I tried the A7 without electronic first curtain and the MBIII was even slower and sometimes missed focus.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Dennis Zimmerman
Regular MemberPosts: 357
Like?
Re: Metabones III then…...

As I said, I am very happy with Metabones and my EF lenses . I do like Aperture control and as mentioned, MF is great with focus peaking.

DFPanno
Like?
Thanks everybody; appreciate all responses given.
TriniArt2
Regular MemberPosts: 343Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks everybody; appreciate all responses given.

I have RJ's EOS to NEX Full Frame adapter on the way.

Autofocus plus ability to change aperture. US 289.

Will post a review once I receive it and test it with my Canon lenses

17-40, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 70-200 4 L

BTW..These lenses are excellent on my A7R already(wide open for most shots) using

a 'dumb adapter'.

TriniArt2's gear list:TriniArt2's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +13 more
Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,343
Like?
Re: Thanks everybody; appreciate all responses given.
In reply to TriniArt2, 8 months ago

I have the metabones 111 and it is slow. I have found it works accurately if I use the cheap wireless control from e-bay set to 2 seconds. so no good for street photography if people are moving. IS and AF work even on my 12 year old lenses which surprised me as there was only a guaranteee from 2006. Fredmiranda.com wrote an review of metabones with canon lenses so read his review.

-- hide signature --

fredyr

osv
osv
Senior MemberPosts: 1,773
Like?

there are some cheap adapters available from overseas now, that appear to have the necessary electrical connections that enable communication with the camera.

b&h has one, and there are other brand names listed here as well:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1275503

-- hide signature --

dan

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,392Gear list
Like?
Re: Metabones III then…...

DFPanno wrote:

verybiglebowski wrote:

I am not really interested in having to set aperture that way so I will go with the Metabones unless you can name a better adaptor.

Thanks for the response.

Yeah, I'd grow very tired of putting my 100/2.8L Macro lens on the A7 and going to shoot a macro shot and realizing I needed to change the aperture. Taking it off and placing it on my 6D and setting the aperture and then trying it on the A7 only to realize it's still not right. Repeat. No chance that would be part of my workflow. Spending extra for aperture control is well worth it to me.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
whodat
New MemberPosts: 7Gear list
Like?

Don't know about the Novoflex, but I recently rented the Metabones III with the Canon 8-15 F4L and it worked great for me.  AF works well, albeit a little slow as others have mentioned.  I mainly use my a7r for Landscape and CityScape work on a tripod so the AF speed is not an issue for me.  The only thing I would note, is that if you use any of the 1.2L Glass, the a7r only displays F1.3 as the a7r counts in 1/3s of a stop.

whodat's gear list:whodat's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1
bwana4swahili
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dennis Zimmerman, 8 months ago

Dennis Zimmerman wrote:

I have A7 , Metabones III and Canon EF lenses. Mine works just fine with the EF lenses. AF is slow but does work with certain EF lenses. Be sure to check out Metabones web site for AF compatible lenses. I still use MF on them anyway as MF is incredibly easy to use with focus peaking.

I have no other issues and not sure what you are referring to on mods. I don't have experience with Novaflex but here good things.

-- hide signature --

D. Zimmerman

Much the same experience w/ an A7R.  I normally use the unit with manual focus and focus peaking; much faster than the unit's autofocus!

It works with both EF and EFS lenses.

bwana4swahili's gear list:bwana4swahili's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7S Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +51 more
bwana4swahili
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?
In reply to verybiglebowski, 8 months ago

verybiglebowski wrote:

I have tried several of the cheaper alternatives (3 at last count) and none of them have the snugness of fit and quality of the Metabones III.  Nothing like having the camera body and lens going different directions!

bwana4swahili's gear list:bwana4swahili's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7S Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +51 more
DFPanno
Like?
Thanx x2 and bump for justice !

Thanks again.  I imagine that this topic is very topical for Canon folks so I (we) appreciate your opinions - Dave

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads