I just bought D7100

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
leerob
Contributing MemberPosts: 970Gear list
Like?
I just bought D7100
10 months ago

and I think FZ200 and LX7 with Leica C beats it hands down. Wish I didn't. Maybe I'll sell it.

Really!--

Adam Kielcz

leerob's gear list:leerob's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Leica C Nikon D7100 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sergeg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,639Gear list
Like?
Re: I just bought D7100
In reply to leerob, 10 months ago

In terms of IQ, there would be situations where the much bigger APS chip and system capability of the D7100 would win out. But the IQ from the tiny 1/2.3" in relative terms is very impressive as we know, the Leica optics are hard to beat. If only we could have a bigger sensor!

Sergeg's gear list:Sergeg's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D800 Pentax K-30 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
leerob
Like?
In reply to Sergeg, 10 months ago

Hi Sergeg,

Yes, Leica precision is hard to beat. That's okay I'll live with D7100.

-- hide signature --

Adam Kielcz

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Leica C Nikon D7100 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Kevin Coppalotti
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,130Gear list
Like?

I seem to recall a poster here who declared his undying love for the fz200 then switched to nikon dslr. And he has never been seen again....

-- hide signature --
Jerry045
Senior MemberPosts: 4,336Gear list
Like?

Congrats on the new toy.

No camera does everything. They all have their sweet spots where they will win out over others in a specific situation. But all those situations are different. The trick is to grab the best camera for a particular situation. Just think, now you have more options available to you.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/av8tor045
Jerry

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony a6000 +7 more
leerob
Like?
In reply to Jerry045, 10 months ago

You're so correct about more options.
I'll not sell my Panasonic cameras and go to d7100 only like the other guy did.

Adam Kielcz

Rodger1943
Senior MemberPosts: 4,884Gear list
Like?

Rudy from Ottawa got a D7100 and he is producing some amazing shots from his Nikon. I think it depends a lot on the lens system you have. I was recently in Costa Rica with a friend who was using a Nikon D300s and I was consistently getting better images from the FZ200 than he was. That shouldn't be the case. It wasn't just the odd shot, nearly every shot from the FZ200 was at least equal and usually better. I don't think I saw any that were inferior. I put it down to his 300mm lens, which was old and unstabilised. He had 4 different lens and some were sharper than others. So my theory is that interchangable lens cameras are only as good as the lens you put on the front. With the FZ200 you have a very good lens for all situations. I think that's a pretty good advantage.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +2 more
leerob
Like?
In reply to Rodger1943, 10 months ago

Rodger1943 wrote:

Rudy from Ottawa got a D7100 and he is producing some amazing shots from his Nikon. I think it depends a lot on the lens system you have. I was recently in Costa Rica with a friend who was using a Nikon D300s and I was consistently getting better images from the FZ200 than he was. That shouldn't be the case. It wasn't just the odd shot, nearly every shot from the FZ200 was at least equal and usually better. I don't think I saw any that were inferior. I put it down to his 300mm lens, which was old and unstabilised. He had 4 different lens and some were sharper than others. So my theory is that interchangable lens cameras are only as good as the lens you put on the front. With the FZ200 you have a very good lens for all situations. I think that's a pretty good advantage.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Yes, it was Rudy the traitor, but not me.

BTW I believe what you are saying about your friend with D300.

I wish I didn't buy D7100, because it may require investment in a better lens.

-- hide signature --

Adam Kielcz

joyclick
Senior MemberPosts: 2,775Gear list
Like?
Re:If you bought a sports car......

but didn't know how to drive it -you would end up with the situation you are in.May be a DSLR of D7100 capabilities is not your cup of tea.

One needs to 'work' around to get great photos out of this beast that is being rated as the best DSLR that comes close to a full frame quality -if only you know how !

This is not to say pany is bad-because only cameras I ever bought are Panasonic and I have 6 of them and I love them all.

-- hide signature --

student4ever

leerob
Like?
Re:If you bought a sports car......
In reply to joyclick, 10 months ago

joyclick wrote:

but didn't know how to drive it -you would end up with the situation you are in.May be a DSLR of D7100 capabilities is not your cup of tea.

One needs to 'work' around to get great photos out of this beast that is being rated as the best DSLR that comes close to a full frame quality -if only you know how !

This is not to say pany is bad-because only cameras I ever bought are Panasonic and I have 6 of them and I love them all.

-- hide signature --

student4ever

Also well interpreted my predicament. Maybe I'll learn to live with D7100.

-- hide signature --

Adam Kielcz

Sergeg
Like?
In reply to Rodger1943, 10 months ago

"With the FZ200 you have a very good lens for all situations. I think that's a pretty good advantage."

Couldn't agree more Rodger, today I had a "Walkabout" experience in a historic village, the "Australiana Pioneer Village", about 15 ks from where I live.

I had my D800 in my bag, and my new FZ200. The D800 stayed in the bag. Admittedly I was still testing the new camera, but found the sheer versatility of that zoom to be a real advantage for a walk around experience. Switching from stills to video and panorama mode then back again, was a real joy. A selection of the results forthcoming.

P.S. I did shoot with the D800 for some room interiors for a brochure for the nearby Motel. And here it's horses for courses, of course !

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D800 Pentax K-30 +3 more
leerob
Like?
In reply to Sergeg, 10 months ago

Sergeg wrote:

"With the FZ200 you have a very good lens for all situations. I think that's a pretty good advantage."

Couldn't agree more Rodger, today I had a "Walkabout" experience in a historic village, the "Australiana Pioneer Village", about 15 ks from where I live.

I had my D800 in my bag, and my new FZ200. The D800 stayed in the bag. Admittedly I was still testing the new camera, but found the sheer versatility of that zoom to be a real advantage for a walk around experience. Switching from stills to video and panorama mode then back again, was a real joy. A selection of the results forthcoming.

P.S. I did shoot with the D800 for some room interiors for a brochure for the nearby Motel. And here it's horses for courses, of course !

Which lenses do you use on D800?

-- hide signature --

Adam Kielcz

Robiro
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,772
Like?
The most important information missing

leerob wrote:

and I think FZ200 and LX7 with Leica C beats it hands down. Wish I didn't. Maybe I'll sell it.

Really!--

Adam Kielcz

The most important information is missing. The piece of glass you have attached in front of that VASTLY superior sensor in D7100.

Sergeg
Like?

I bought the Tamron SP 24~70 F2.8,  (top notch)

AF Nikkor 50mm f1.8D,  (great workhorse to replace my MF equivalent)

the classic Tamron 28-200MM F/3.8-5.6 XR Aspherical (IF) Macro AF (razor sharp on full frame),

and a bunch of legacy Nikkor Ai glass from my film era.

rfactor
Contributing MemberPosts: 531Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kevin Coppalotti, 10 months ago

Kevin Coppalotti wrote:

I seem to recall a poster here who declared his undying love for the fz200 then switched to nikon dslr. And he has never been seen again....

-- hide signature --

Yup, Rudy, myself and I am sure others.  You have got to be out of your mind leerob!  Yes I miss the video and the reach of the FZ200, but image quality of a 10mp sensor from 2005 blows it away.  The noise in the fz200 is just painful!

-- hide signature --

-Ryan-
D200
50mm 1.8D
35mm 1.8G
FZ200

rfactor's gear list:rfactor's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
rfactor
Contributing MemberPosts: 531Gear list
Like?
In reply to rfactor, 10 months ago

Its all about the glass on the front.  I rented a Nikon 200 F2 this last weekend and wow! a $6k lens will make anything look good! lol  But it isnt always about the reach.  When you have a sharp noise free photo you can crop much tighter.  These days my FZ200 just sits on the shelf until I need video.  It along with the D200 will be traded in on the D400 if it's ever made.

-- hide signature --

-Ryan-
D200
50mm 1.8D
35mm 1.8G
FZ200

rfactor's gear list:rfactor's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads