Received the Carl Zeiss Contax 90mm F2.8 today.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
LBJ2
Contributing MemberPosts: 728Gear list
Like?
Received the Carl Zeiss Contax 90mm F2.8 today.
10 months ago

First, it appears that I lucked-out and received true to the sellers description, a very clean "like new" lens. After my flash light inspection it does look "new". Secondly, I am shocked at how compact/small this lens is. Wow.

I'll be connecting to the A7r with a Metabones Contax G to Emount adapter ( my first third party lens experience) so am really hoping the optical quality performs as well as this lens looks! ( I must say this is one physically attractive lens).

 LBJ2's gear list:LBJ2's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS
Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MISTERX
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
Re: Received the Carl Zeiss Contax 90mm F2.8 today.
In reply to LBJ2, 10 months ago

Excellent decision.

I got one (90mm) also with the metabones adapter. (contax G mount lens)

the focus is easy than with other adapters but I would like the autofocus function.

the lens color is a bit on the warm side. 90mm is a bit long focal at home. is an excellent lens and the cheapest one of the G mount.

I cannot compare with other prime lens. the only 90 I had was a summicron.  was excellent and the color was perfect.

The metabones adapter locking switch  is impossible to lock completely. I do not know if it is a problem with my unit or in general.

I plan to left  one adapter on each lens as are two lens only at the moment.

the adpter is an excellent finished piece. a pity the lock switch issue.

I Got the 45mm also. both look excellent finished.

I am affraid of getting the 28mm.   My camera is an A7   (not R model)

I am not going to mess with the 21mm.  actually have a 21 and 15 Voightlander

I ordered a AF adapter from ebay in the hope to improbe speed focusing, expecially the 90mm.

is a Techart o something like maker.

it is a complement for my future 24-70.  I am hesitant of getting the zoom as it got  bad reviews.

Any way I own a canon  24-105.  more of 1k euro for the Sony zoom is expensive por such a short zoom.

the price/quality ratio and the sensor reflections make me stop investing in the A7 mount.

it is time to make a decision, to OSS or not, that is the question.   the price and troubles make me want to check any legacy Minolta lens first.    (I got the LEAa4 with the camera and it rests unused)

finally I wonder if an A mount 28-70 of 2,8 could be a cheaper-same quality solution.

What do all of you think about it?

please, help me to decide, Sony 24-70 or not?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LBJ2
Contributing MemberPosts: 728Gear list
Like?
Are there other Contax G to Emount adapters out there worth investigating?
In reply to MISTERX, 10 months ago

Thank you MISTERX.  Looking forward to see the optical quality with this setup.  Like you mentioned I too am going to leave the adapter connected to this lens ( has been recommended to me by others as well).  Took me a lot of fidgeting to get the lens connected to the metabones adapter even after watching a how-to Youtube video.  I also found the adapter lock switch to be a little wonky.

Are there other Contax G to Emount adapters out there worth investigating?

 LBJ2's gear list:LBJ2's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
calxn
Contributing MemberPosts: 797Gear list
Like?
Re: Received the Carl Zeiss Contax 90mm F2.8 today.
In reply to LBJ2, 10 months ago

Optically, it's good, maybe great... maybe.  I tested it against a Nikkor 85/1.4 G on distant scene and it did not perform as well.  The modern Nikkor is one of the sharpest lens on DxO database, and it showed.  Still for the small size and weight, I chose to keep the Contax and sold the Nikkor.  The Contax will hold me over till the Sony Zeiss version is released.  I just hope that version beats the Nikkor.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MISTERX
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
Re: Are there other Contax G to Emount adapters out there worth investigating?
In reply to LBJ2, 10 months ago

Perhaps is better to go directly to autofocus models.  I think are worth at aproximatelly double price  the Metabones.

I am not an expert on all adapters but my experience is with cheapo adapters for the A7.

I finally ended with Metabones and the German maker I do not remember the name but you surely know .  there are intemediate quality makers at a price in between.  the metabones has more surface to grip the focus but is not all the surface milled around.

the springs that fix the lens in place are a week point. on cheaper adapters are badly made making a notch in the mount.   a good adapter has dedicated springs.  also th einfinity focus can be an issue.

I think Sony shuld pay us for dealing  with the adapters.  the native lens are very expensive for a supposed unchecked quality.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 4,788Gear list
Like?
Re: Received the Carl Zeiss Contax 90mm F2.8 today.
In reply to LBJ2, 10 months ago

LBJ2 wrote:

First, it appears that I lucked-out and received true to the sellers description, a very clean "like new" lens. After my flash light inspection it does look "new". Secondly, I am shocked at how compact/small this lens is. Wow.

I'll be connecting to the A7r with a Metabones Contax G to Emount adapter ( my first third party lens experience) so am really hoping the optical quality performs as well as this lens looks! ( I must say this is one physically attractive lens).

Thanks for sharing! I'm waiting for one now - G lenses are a great bargain. I've seen quite a few images from the G45 and G90 on the A7 and they are quite good. Heck, this little guy with adapter is less than my Nikon 85 1.8 was. And a better lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
iullian
Forum MemberPosts: 95Gear list
Like?
Re: Received the Carl Zeiss Contax 90mm F2.8 today.
In reply to stevo23, 10 months ago

stevo23 wrote:

LBJ2 wrote:

First, it appears that I lucked-out and received true to the sellers description, a very clean "like new" lens. After my flash light inspection it does look "new". Secondly, I am shocked at how compact/small this lens is. Wow.

I'll be connecting to the A7r with a Metabones Contax G to Emount adapter ( my first third party lens experience) so am really hoping the optical quality performs as well as this lens looks! ( I must say this is one physically attractive lens).

Thanks for sharing! I'm waiting for one now - G lenses are a great bargain. I've seen quite a few images from the G45 and G90 on the A7 and they are quite good. Heck, this little guy with adapter is less than my Nikon 85 1.8 was. And a better lens.

I have one for sale (Contax G Sonnar 90/2.8), super extra MINT (really like new, without any sign of wear, scratches, fungus, dust, etc.) on ebay.

I used it on A7 with superb results. I used it for portraits, combined with the Metabones (champagne color) adapter. I am selling it to fund for the FE 55/1.8.

My next portrait lens (when I will have some extra money) will be one of the two: Samyang 85/1.4(T1.5) or Voigtlander 75/1.8  Both have much better manual focus then any focus through adapter. And both are faster.

 iullian's gear list:iullian's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Carl Zeiss Tele-Tessar T* 4/85 ZM Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 Nokton Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,157Gear list
Like?
Re: Received the Carl Zeiss Contax 90mm F2.8 today.
In reply to LBJ2, 10 months ago

Weird looking adapter:

From the Metabones site Contax G adapter with 90/2.8

-- hide signature --

Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MISTERX
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
Re: Received the Carl Zeiss Contax 90mm F2.8 today.
In reply to iullian, 10 months ago

iullan, your name sounds familiar to me ,  I think I bought your adapter by ebay.  couple of days ago.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joachim Wulfers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,113Gear list
Like?
Re: Are there other Contax G to Emount adapters out there worth investigating?
In reply to LBJ2, 10 months ago

LBJ2 wrote:

Thank you MISTERX. Looking forward to see the optical quality with this setup. Like you mentioned I too am going to leave the adapter connected to this lens ( has been recommended to me by others as well). Took me a lot of fidgeting to get the lens connected to the metabones adapter even after watching a how-to Youtube video. I also found the adapter lock switch to be a little wonky.

Are there other Contax G to Emount adapters out there worth investigating?

I have 3 Contax G lenses (28, 45 and 90), each with its adaptor. Two are Fotodiox and one is a Kipon. Both makes are smooth and I have never experienced difficulties in turning the focus ring as others have reported. Also never had any issue mounting the lenses to the adaptor.

-- hide signature --

Joachim

 Joachim Wulfers's gear list:Joachim Wulfers's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,549Gear list
Like?
Re: Received the Carl Zeiss Contax 90mm F2.8 today.
In reply to KwhyChang, 10 months ago

KwhyChang wrote:

Weird looking adapter:

From the Metabones site Contax G adapter with 90/2.8

I bought the champaign color and it looks just like the lens. I tried the cheap adapters and they were clunky and never smooth with regard to focusing. This Metabones adapter is very smooth. I had a terrible time trying to connect it to the lens, but finally found a youtube video from Metabones that walked me through it. I have no plans to take the adapter off of the lens and now just consider them 1 piece.

-- hide signature --
 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 OnePlus One +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ZoranC
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,510
Like?
Re: Received the Carl Zeiss Contax 90mm F2.8 today.
In reply to iullian, 10 months ago

iullian wrote: My next portrait lens (when I will have some extra money) will be one of the two: Samyang 85/1.4(T1.5) or Voigtlander 75/1.8  Both have much better manual focus then any focus through adapter. And both are faster.

I have both CV 75/1.8 and G90/2.8. I am not finding focusing with CV any better than focusing G90 with Metabones adapter. Also, I am not finding CV being "faster" of any benefit to me. I have no experience with Samyang 85/1.4 but I know it is much much bigger than G90 with adapter is.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
iullian
Forum MemberPosts: 95Gear list
Like?
Re: Received the Carl Zeiss Contax 90mm F2.8 today.
In reply to MISTERX, 10 months ago

iullan, your name sounds familiar to me ,  I think I bought your adapter by ebay.  couple of days ago.

Maybe. I sold one sunday. If yes, it should arrive to you soon. They assured me maximum 7 days.

 iullian's gear list:iullian's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Carl Zeiss Tele-Tessar T* 4/85 ZM Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 Nokton Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 4,788Gear list
Like?
Re: Received the Carl Zeiss Contax 90mm F2.8 today.
In reply to iullian, 10 months ago

iullian wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

LBJ2 wrote:

First, it appears that I lucked-out and received true to the sellers description, a very clean "like new" lens. After my flash light inspection it does look "new". Secondly, I am shocked at how compact/small this lens is. Wow.

I'll be connecting to the A7r with a Metabones Contax G to Emount adapter ( my first third party lens experience) so am really hoping the optical quality performs as well as this lens looks! ( I must say this is one physically attractive lens).

Thanks for sharing! I'm waiting for one now - G lenses are a great bargain. I've seen quite a few images from the G45 and G90 on the A7 and they are quite good. Heck, this little guy with adapter is less than my Nikon 85 1.8 was. And a better lens.

I have one for sale (Contax G Sonnar 90/2.8), super extra MINT (really like new, without any sign of wear, scratches, fungus, dust, etc.) on ebay.

I used it on A7 with superb results. I used it for portraits, combined with the Metabones (champagne color) adapter. I am selling it to fund for the FE 55/1.8.

My next portrait lens (when I will have some extra money) will be one of the two: Samyang 85/1.4(T1.5) or Voigtlander 75/1.8 Both have much better manual focus then any focus through adapter. And both are faster.

That Voigtlander is very tempting - and the price is right.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MISTERX
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
Re: Received the Carl Zeiss Contax 90mm F2.8 today.
In reply to iullian, 9 months ago

Your adapter arrived today.
Nice champaing finish.

I received a Techart Autofocus adapter at the same time from an ebay shop.

I have to check it to see if the way i choose (Af with Contax G on A7) is right.

I suppose there is not solution for the Contax 21mm on the A7.

I friend of mine has a Contax G28mm I´ll borrow it and test.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads