Full frame Mirror-less or NEX7

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
nickels25
Forum MemberPosts: 67Gear list
Like?
Full frame Mirror-less or NEX7
10 months ago

Hi all,

I'm looking at trading in my D700 for a smaller bodied full frame or high resolution camera. Was looking at the Sony A7 and NEX7. I mostly would use it for hiking and portraits but will do the occasional wedding. Can I get feedback on how these cameras do in weddings to landscape work? Is Sony glass just as good as Nikon or Canon? Do you think other companies will start going the route of the A7?

nickels25's gear list:nickels25's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Olympus E-M1 Apple iPhone 5
Arcturu
Regular MemberPosts: 224
Like?
Re: Full frame Mirror-less or NEX7
In reply to nickels25, 10 months ago

Canon, Nikon, & Sony all make lenses ranging from superb to mediocre. The best from Sony is as good as the best from Canikon. In fact, the Sony Zeiss 55mm FE is better than any 50mm from Canikon.

I can't speak about weddings, but either Sony would make a great hiking camera. The NEX-7 would be lighter and more compact, and its IQ is excellent when used with good lenses like the 24mm Sony Zeiss or the Zeiss Touits. The NEX shutter is quieter, esp. when set up for electronic first curtain. In low light, the A7 would be superior.

I wouldn't wait around for the old fogies at Canikon to start making decent mirrorless cameras, when the Sony products are here now and are very good.

-- hide signature --

Arcturus

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
steve vida
Regular MemberPosts: 355Gear list
Like?

I moved up to a A7 from the 5n the end of Dec `13,I was using legacy glass on the 5n as well the kit twins.My A7 came with a Metabones adapter that was a big improvement on the cheaper adapters I had up till then.I have been still using my 5n as it is a truly compact camera & much easier to carry all the time.I cant say the same of the A7.The A7 offers a big IQ jump for the times that require it,it also allows me to use my older Nikkors at their native picture angle.Ive found that the use of a tripod & careful focusing pays dividends but the full frame also offers amazing high ISO performance.It can just magnify poor technique.There are advantages to both FF & APS-C when using legacy lenses.I have a 55 micro nikkor F2.8,it works very well as both a 55 & a 82 on ASP-C.I wonder if my choice would have been as easy if the A6000 had come out in December.

steve vida's gear list:steve vida's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +6 more
Dr JLW
Contributing MemberPosts: 570
Like?

Steve makes great point.  If you have great legacy glass for full frame, go with the full frame.  If your old glass is mediocre, use a reducer and go with APS-c.

Otherwise stay with the APS-C.  Its more than enough IQ and the lenses, even the great ones, are going to cost less.

If you do wedding professionally it may be better to go full frame as that may give potential clients a better impression, but many wedding are shot professionally  in APS-C.  If you are doing this as a guest and/or as a favor, APS-c is fine.  I got some very well appreciated shots with my 1/2" super zoom.

nickels25
Like?
In reply to Dr JLW, 10 months ago

Thank you all so much for the information!

Is the NEX7 a good APS-C camera...it's 2 years old. Do you think they will come out with an update to the NEX7?

Thanks again to all of you for all your info and advice!

Mark K
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,545Gear list
Like?

nickels25 wrote:

Hi all,

I'm looking at trading in my D700 for a smaller bodied full frame or high resolution camera. Was looking at the Sony A7 and NEX7. I mostly would use it for hiking and portraits but will do the occasional wedding. Can I get feedback on how these cameras do in weddings to landscape work? Is Sony glass just as good as Nikon or Canon? Do you think other companies will start going the route of the A7?

1. get the A7

2. what glass do you have with your D700?

3. Buy the best possible optics

4. Expect difference. A7 is a mirrorless camera and the damping is not so good...so shutter sound is loud. Besides, I still think D700 is better in AF comparing to any of current mirrorless

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 +59 more
nickels25
Like?
In reply to Mark K, 10 months ago

Hi Mark,

I sold all my Nikkor glass to pay for Grad school. Sucks but had to do it. Starting completely fresh but looking for smaller more portable camera that will still get me pro-grade images.

c mills
Junior MemberPosts: 35Gear list
Like?

nickels25 wrote:

Hi Mark,

I sold all my Nikkor glass to pay for Grad school. Sucks but had to do it. Starting completely fresh but looking for smaller more portable camera that will still get me pro-grade images.

Fresh starts can be fun. Also consider a NEX6 + 16-70 f/4. Nice small package with a great sensor and you'd have a constant aperture. You can cheaply add a zoom lens right now as well. While it may "only" be 16MP, I personally haven't found 24MP to offer any benefit even when cropping.

Or if the latest gear is your thing and you can wait a couple months the NEX6/7 successor will be available, which does have slightly more MP.

mdcromer
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
In reply to c mills, 10 months ago

I think the Alpha 6000 has a lot of positives versus the NEX7.

nickels25
Like?
In reply to mdcromer, 10 months ago

Thanks all, What would be some of the positives in your opinion? Besides 24 mp and menu interface?

mdcromer
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?

nickels25 wrote:

Thanks all, What would be some of the positives in your opinion? Besides 24 mp and menu interface?

Faster autofocus, better tracking autofocus, better high ISO IQ...

Dr JLW
Contributing MemberPosts: 570
Like?

The Nex 7 is bit old now but it was introduced as the top of the line and it has a superb screen and EVF.

Check its DPR review comparisons to see what it can do.

When introduced it outperformed many full frame DSLR's.  If you can go to a shop and try it along with the other contenders.

It is a very viable choice but it depends on your alternatives and its price.  It is now a bit old to be commanding full price but it's a matter of preference and cost.

baltimorecaesar
Regular MemberPosts: 274
Like?

When you say "occasional wedding", are you talking about shooting a wedding as a hired photographer?

Wally626
Senior MemberPosts: 1,841
Like?
In reply to mdcromer, 10 months ago

mdcromer wrote:

nickels25 wrote:

Also cheaper and has the new menu system. Might be a good place to start, more lens choice than the A7 right now as well.

José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,592Gear list
Like?
a huge + 1
In reply to c mills, 10 months ago

c mills wrote:

nickels25 wrote:

Hi Mark,

Fresh starts can be fun. Also consider a NEX6 + 16-70 f/4. Nice small package with a great sensor and you'd have a constant aperture. You can cheaply add a zoom lens right now as well. While it may "only" be 16MP, I personally haven't found 24MP to offer any benefit even when cropping.

Or if the latest gear is your thing and you can wait a couple months the NEX6/7 successor will be available, which does have slightly more MP.

I really like my NEX 6+16-70/4 OSS combo because it gives me that 24-105 coverage in a small package. I would have preferred the A7 but only if Sony has given us that 24-105/4 lens with it. For me the 24-70 is short on the long end as I love to take heads and shoulders shots which I find more appealing @ 70mm (1.5 cropper)/ @ 105mm full-frame. Having said this, since the A6000 will be available in a couple of months, I would wait for that instead of the NEX-6.

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,171Gear list
Like?

nickels25 wrote:

Hi all,

If you are used to full frame and like to shoot that format, you will probably be better off with the A7. That said, I shot Nikon film for many years and had enough of FF. The N7 (APS-C) is so much more forgiving and produces impressive results. For those that have never shot FF, it may be worth a try to get it out of their system. I just think it is harder to shoot and without paying attention to DOF, your pictures can be ruined until you get the hang of it. There is some very good glass for Sony and despite what many believe, prices are competitive with some of the best Nikon or Canon glass. Unless you are looking for really obscure glass, the only thing missing right now is a good wide angle lens.

Although many complain about the lack of FF glass for the A7/A7R, I think it is probably an advantage. Technology improvements are going to make their way to the glass that Sony delivers for these lenses. You are seeing it already with the 35, 55 and 24-70. This compares to Nikon and Canon that have some AF lenses that are in need of updates.

You might consider the A6000 as well. I don't personally feel the need to update my NEX-7 or 5N but see many current NEX users that are going to. The price seems right but I really don't have the need for any faster AF than what I've got. The other amenities such as wifi are not doing anything for me either. It takes a long time to get used to any new camera. I'd rather be able to quickly adjust settings from memory rather than go through the learning curve again. I've never understood those that have multiple contemporary cameras. I'd go through some major indecision if I had that many choices always second guessing myself.

Good luck.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
nickels25
Like?
In reply to baltimorecaesar, 10 months ago

Yes, I had some friends ask me if I could photograph their weddings. They will be hiring me to be their photographer.

bigley Ling
Senior MemberPosts: 1,343Gear list
Like?
In reply to Wally626, 10 months ago

Wally626 wrote:

mdcromer wrote:

nickels25 wrote:

Also cheaper and has the new menu system. Might be a good place to start, more lens choice than the A7 right now as well.

I agree, if you are going to consider the N7, one may as well go a6000. The 2 year old n7, unless you can get one second hand, or new at a very reduced price, then it probably better to get the a6000.

That being said, the A7 will attract more attention than an N7 or a6000, and can make for good conversations being the first Full frame mirrorless camera to be made.

wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,486
Like?
Don't buy the Nex7 right now. A6000 eclipses it.

It is really hard to justify buying the Nex7 right now.  The A6000, due to ship in late April is much better on a lot of fundamentals particularly AF speed and, supposedly, high ISO performance.  The 7 is just obsolete as of now. You merely hear the fact that people have liked it, but its day as a "new buy" are over.

For shooting weddings, which often need fast AF, the A6000 is likely to be a better practical choice than the A7.  If you miss the focus the shot is ruined but the FF advantage is often hard to see.  If the A7 focus speed were as fast at the A6000, then it would be a harder choice.

PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,171Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't buy the Nex7 right now. A6000 eclipses it.
In reply to wb2trf, 10 months ago

It is really hard to justify buying the Nex7 right now.  The A6000, due to ship in late April is much better on a lot of fundamentals particularly AF speed and, supposedly, high ISO performance.  The 7 is just obsolete as of now. You merely hear the fact that people have liked it, but its day as a "new buy" are over.

For shooting weddings, which often need fast AF, the A6000 is likely to be a better practical choice than the A7.  If you miss the focus the shot is ruined but the FF advantage is often hard to see.  If the A7 focus speed were as fast at the A6000, then it would be a harder choice.

"The 7 is just obsolete now"

That's a strong opinion for someone that hasn't used one and based only on preliminary reviews of the A6000. We know the N7 produces excellent image quality. The image quality of the A6000 wasn't the best from the recent review but that may be due to preliminary firmware. You may be right but there is no need to throw the N7 out as an option considering the A6000 won't delivery for a couple months. Just how often do average photogs here shoot with continuous AF anyway? CDAF is still very fast.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads