A7r Annoying Me

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Robert Cain
Contributing MemberPosts: 719Gear list
Like?
A7r Annoying Me
10 months ago

Hi All

I have started a Local Project On the Gt West Road The Golden Mile.

Its a Famous UK road for industry Etc.

Six mile walk up then six mile walk back.

These are a few issues with A7r which are beginning to annoy me.

Start the camera up when I begin walk takes 15/20 seconds to start up ready for shooting.

Leave the camera switched on all the time carry 2 spare Sony batteries.

Happy taking shots when camera will shut down VF and screen just go black have to switch off and then back on to use again.

Sometimes camera will just not focus I can see image through VF and screen but will just not focus.

Turn Off back on OK.

Use single shot and focus point on center of screen only using 55mm f1.8FE.

Another annoying trick camera has,camera left on all the time no sleeping to save battery life. lift camera up to take shot screen on but no info have to wait 5/10 seconds for info appear to shoot.

When Finished shooting turn camera off and camera sounds like its taking 2 shots.

Have tried several SD cards and the 3 batteries.

Anyone else seeing this?

Cheers

Rob

PS a few shots from the project at the link below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jojorob2009/sets/72157641402104344/

Still Breathing

Robert Cain's gear list:Robert Cain's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +1 more
Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DFPanno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,033Gear list
Like?
Re: A7r Annoying Me
In reply to Robert Cain, 10 months ago

Rob - Much slower than the RX1 ?

The slowness of the RX1 bothers me on occasion.  It is fine when I am "throttled back" a bit but annoying when I want to move quickly.

I have been concerned about this issue with the A7R.

Can't argue with the quality of the files though.

DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sassenach74
Regular MemberPosts: 375Gear list
Like?

My camera does these things too, apart from the af issue you're having.

Start up can often take an age before it lets me take a picture, waiting for the info to appear takes the longest part of this time. I have observed the shutter sound, like taking a pic or two on shut down that you have mentioned. I haven't posted about it before as I guess I'm just quietly hoping a firmware update will fix it.

-- hide signature --

Neil.

sassenach74's gear list:sassenach74's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +3 more
Steven-T
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,150Gear list
Like?

Robert Cain wrote:

Hi All

I have started a Local Project On the Gt West Road The Golden Mile.

Its a Famous UK road for industry Etc.

Six mile walk up then six mile walk back.

Start the camera up when I begin walk takes 15/20 seconds to start up ready for shooting.

Happy taking shots when camera will shut down VF and screen just go black have to switch off and then back on to use again.

Sometimes camera will just not focus I can see image through VF and screen but will just not focus.

Turn Off back on OK.

Use single shot and focus point on center of screen only using 55mm f1.8FE.

Another annoying trick camera has,camera left on all the time no sleeping to save battery life. lift camera up to take shot screen on but no info have to wait 5/10 seconds for info appear to shoot.

When Finished shooting turn camera off and camera sounds like its taking 2 shots.

Anyone else seeing this?

Cheers

Rob

PS a few shots from the project at the link below.

Still Breathing

Function as design?

To me, the A7R has a relatively not strong processing engine. Turn off those functions you don't need. E.g. on top of my head, pre-focus, zebra, auto-review image, etc, . . . Since we can't change the camera, we have to change/optimize the way we use it. The image files are great though, DR is pants up, . . . Need time to understand and love it, much more than a new gf (or new bf) for that matter.

Steven

Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Beaverhelmet
Contributing MemberPosts: 645Gear list
Like?

Robert Cain wrote:

Really? My A7R takes appr 5-7s after a battery change, otherwise it takes 2-3s to start up.

I always shut off the camera manually between sessions. If I flick it on in the same movement as i put it up to my eye, percieved startup time is reduced considerably.

It sounds as the sensor cleaning action the camera does now and then. Makes no difference in practical use does it?

What brand and speed of SD, and what brand of batteries?

Beaverhelmet's gear list:Beaverhelmet's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7S +9 more
Robert Cain
Like?
In reply to DFPanno, 10 months ago

DFPanno wrote:

Rob - Much slower than the RX1 ?

The slowness of the RX1 bothers me on occasion. It is fine when I am "throttled back" a bit but annoying when I want to move quickly.

I have been concerned about this issue with the A7R.

Can't argue with the quality of the files though.

Hi David

I have been using A7r for a few months now the image quality with the 55mm is outstanding but to many issues.

Glad I never sold my RX1 still a great camera.

You have some great images on your Flickr Page.

Cheers

Rob

Still Breathing

Robert Cain
Like?
In reply to sassenach74, 10 months ago

sassenach74 wrote:

My camera does these things too, apart from the af issue you're having.

Start up can often take an age before it lets me take a picture, waiting for the info to appear takes the longest part of this time. I have observed the shutter sound, like taking a pic or two on shut down that you have mentioned. I haven't posted about it before as I guess I'm just quietly hoping a firmware update will fix it.

-- hide signature --

Neil.

Hi Neil

Thanks for letting me know that you have heard the shutter firing on shut down I thought I was hearing things.

Firmware I have read several post on the Sony forums that Sony hardly ever update its firmware.

Lets hope its not true.

Cheers

Rob

Still Breathing

Robert Cain
Like?
In reply to Beaverhelmet, 10 months ago

Beaverhelmet wrote:

Robert Cain wrote:

Really? My A7R takes appr 5-7s after a battery change, otherwise it takes 2-3s to start up.

I always shut off the camera manually between sessions. If I flick it on in the same movement as i put it up to my eye, percieved startup time is reduced considerably.

It sounds as the sensor cleaning action the camera does now and then. Makes no difference in practical use does it?

What brand and speed of SD, and what brand of batteries?

Hi

Sony batteries Lexar Pro 64gb and Sandisk Pro 32gb

Cheers

Rob

Still Breathing

DFPanno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,033Gear list
Like?
? Rob

First off; thanks for the compliment !

Question - Do you think you will give up on it or is the file quality so good that you will put up with the shortcomings?

Trying to figure out if the A7R would be a good travel camera or whether it will be too slow for that kind of use.

best -

DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,327Gear list
Like?
Sorry to say this, but

you sound like one of the people that should not have gotten this camera.  I knew it was slow before I purchased it.  My work is set up stuff, even in the field.  I have no need for quick response.  While your times seem abnormally slow---suggesting something wrong at your end---nobody who paid attention to the specs would have chosen this camera as a quick response device.

Perhaps you didn't fully account for your own style of shooting?

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software. Personal website: www.texandrewsart.com
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Rokinon T-S 24mm 1:3.5 ED AS UMC +15 more
love_them_all
Senior MemberPosts: 2,740
Like?

The start up time is dreadful. No question.

However...

The A7R is not a snap shot camera in the sense that you can just turn it on and still be able to capture something happening in front of you. The high res requires a solid tripod to get the super clean images. Yes, you can shoot it at a higher ISO but the OOC jpgs are not that great at high ISO (but stellar at low ISO). The shutter lag is also a big problem for snap shots even if you have the camera in ready position!

So I have learnt that I should use the A7R for high quality images that allows you to take the time to shoot, like landscape, portraits, or shots with plenty of lighting.

sassenach74
Regular MemberPosts: 375Gear list
Like?
Re: Sorry to say this, but
In reply to tex, 10 months ago

tex wrote:

you sound like one of the people that should not have gotten this camera. I knew it was slow before I purchased it. My work is set up stuff, even in the field. I have no need for quick response. While your times seem abnormally slow---suggesting something wrong at your end---nobody who paid attention to the specs would have chosen this camera as a quick response device.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software. Personal website: www.texandrewsart.com
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

Shooting style has nothing to do with how long a camera takes to start up. You knew start up could often take 10-20 seconds before you bought it? Really? Terrible response from you.

-- hide signature --

Neil.

sassenach74's gear list:sassenach74's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +3 more
cheddargav
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,492Gear list
Like?
Re: Sorry to say this, but
In reply to sassenach74, 10 months ago

sassenach74 wrote:

tex wrote:

you sound like one of the people that should not have gotten this camera. I knew it was slow before I purchased it. My work is set up stuff, even in the field. I have no need for quick response. While your times seem abnormally slow---suggesting something wrong at your end---nobody who paid attention to the specs would have chosen this camera as a quick response device.

-- hide signature --

Shooting style has nothing to do with how long a camera takes to start up. You knew start up could often take 10-20 seconds before you bought it? Really? Terrible response from you.

-- hide signature --

Neil.

Reminds me of the people who defended the Fuji X100 when it was launched, ignoring the fact that it was simply faulty from day 1!

As for the Sony experiences, I can only refer to the 2 times I've tried the A7 in 2 different shops, and I can confirm that neither of those took anywhere near that amount of time to start up, so something is definitely a miss there (unless this is another difference between the A7 and the A7r?)

Can't comment on the other issues. Tho these comments along with a few others do suggest a firmware makeover is required.

I still hope to buy one tho

-- hide signature --

www.twitter.com/gavphotography

cheddargav's gear list:cheddargav's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
osv
osv
Senior MemberPosts: 2,010
Like?

Robert Cain wrote:

Hi All

i've never had to turn off my a7r to bring it back, and i've taken nearly 900 pics with it.

it always comes out of "sleep" mode with a shutter button press.

i wonder if there is some weird correlation between using legacy manual glass and glass that communicates electronically with the camera body.

i only shoot with cheap adapters, so i can't experiment with it, but it might be worth checking out.

i have seen that, it's a bit unsettling...

-- hide signature --

dan

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,799Gear list
Like?

I don't think mine is ever that slow, I can watch it again, but rarely more than 2 or 3 seconds, and it is worst if I turn it off and immediate turn it back on. I haven't used the A7R enough (only 500 shots or so) to notice if it shows up occasionally or anything. I never noticed anything like that in 3500 shots or so with my A7 before it clunked out. Maybe try different lenses (if you have any).

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 3,044Gear list
Like?
In reply to osv, 10 months ago

osv wrote:

Robert Cain wrote:

Hi All

i've never had to turn off my a7r to bring it back, and i've taken nearly 900 pics with it.

it always comes out of "sleep" mode with a shutter button press.

i wonder if there is some weird correlation between using legacy manual glass and glass that communicates electronically with the camera body.

i only shoot with cheap adapters, so i can't experiment with it, but it might be worth checking out.

-- hide signature --

dan

I shoot with both the FE kit lens and a lot of manual glass on my A7. The slowest it ever gets is if I shut it off and immediately turn it back on... that's about 5 seconds before it's ready to shoot again. Normal startup, if it 's been off for more than 10 seconds, is less than a second. Maybe 3 or 4 seconds to start after changing the battery.

I normally shut it off between shots, but I just tested with letting it go to sleep and waking it up. This took about one second to be ready to shoot with bringing my eye to the EVF and half-pressing the shutter. If I were using the LCD it might have been a slight bit faster, since it lights the LCD first and then switches to the EVF.

The A7 and A7R have so much in common that I'm finding it hard to believe the A7R should be that much slower without something being wrong with that particular camera.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 3,114Gear list
Like?

If it is really 15-20 seconds to start up, you have a faulty copy. Return it or send for repair under warranty.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Sony Alpha NEX-5N +8 more
Juhaz
Regular MemberPosts: 325Gear list
Like?
In reply to osv, 10 months ago

osv wrote:

All NEX cameras occasionally fire when being turned off, I don't see any reason A7* would be any different in that respect. It's nothing to worry about, they're just taking dark frames for dead pixel mapping.

This should be pretty uncommon, though, once in a month is typical for the APS-C bodies. If it happens on EVERY power-off, I suppose something strange might be going on.

Juhaz's gear list:Juhaz's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +4 more
brudy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,459Gear list
Like?

My A7r takes maybe 2-3 seconds to start up and be ready to shoot. Of the things that sometimes annoy me about this camera, startup time and general operational speed aren't on that list. For contrast, I was extremely annoyed at my Fuji x100 until the latest firmware.

I think you should have yours checked out (or exchange it). This doesn't sound right.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brudy

brudy's gear list:brudy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha 7R
RDMSguy
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
In reply to quezra, 10 months ago

The only real time I've noticed a start up delay with my A7R, is after changing the battery in the camera. But in regular use, it's not the fastest camera I've ever used, but it was hardly ever an issue for my shooting style. It's always ready to shoot before I can get the camera up to my eye. But I'm not an action shooter, so maybe thats why.

Prior to owning the A7R, I had the A7.. Which did seem a little more snappy overall.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads