A6000 colour: black or silver-ish ? Vote here :)

Started 5 months ago | Polls
DimitriDV
Regular MemberPosts: 253
Like?
A6000 colour: black or silver-ish ? Vote here :)
5 months ago

I am having trouble deciding in which colour to get the A6000, an acute case of first world problem.

So I thought to open a poll on here; I'm sure many have their reasons for either color, be it simple preference or practical advantages.

If any practical advantages for either color, I'm curious to read about them!

Fyi, I have the 18-55mm, SEL50 and 55-210 in silver, a black Nex-6, many black legacy lenses, and a few black AF lenses (10-18, SEL35, 19&30 sigmas).

Here an image comparing the two versions:

More pics if needed to make up your mind:

In silver: http://i.imgur.com/1jNeJRd.jpg

In black: http://i.imgur.com/hlrlZwZ.jpg

In silver with black lens: http://i.imgur.com/iTYZLso.jpg

Happy voting

POLL
Black version
69.5% 89  votes
Silver version
30.5% 39  votes
  Show results
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Seeky
Regular MemberPosts: 376Gear list
Like?
Re: A6000 colour: black or silver-ish ? Vote here :)
In reply to DimitriDV, 5 months ago

I voted black because:

1. The silver finish doesn't match the aluminum silver lenses.
  2. There are more black lenses which don't look nice on a silver body. 

Caveats:

1. Scratches will be less visible with the silver body.
  2. We don't know how the silver plastic parts hold up. 

If the lenses exactly matched the A6000 body color, and there were more silver lenses (35 f1.8, 10-18), than the silver version would be my choice.

Seeky's gear list:Seeky's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,381
Like?
In reply to Seeky, 5 months ago

I like all my cameras in black. Serious, no nonsense.

-- hide signature --

"If you don't have an expression, you don't have a shot" - Peter Hurley.
http://itsnotthecamera.wordpress.com/

DimitriDV
Regular MemberPosts: 253
Like?
In reply to Seeky, 5 months ago

Seeky wrote:

I voted black because:

Caveats:

If the lenses exactly matched the A6000 body color, and there were more silver lenses (35 f1.8, 10-18), than the silver version would be my choice.

I don't dislike the SEL1670 on the silver A6000, matches nicely with the black hand grip imo.

On my Nex-6 I got a few corners where the black finish went away leaving some white visible; this can easily be covered with a black permanent marker (fades with use, but pretty much looks like new). Such marks would be lesser visible with a silver finish probably, but not as easy to cover up.

I noticed that the Sony branding is not as visible on the silver finish, which I find positive since I don't like to showoff brands; I have covered it with a little piece of black tape on my Nex-6 which is still an effective solution, and perhaps renders it more invisible than what possible on a silver finish. A tie on this point imo.

Does anybody think that one of the colors would lower its resale value (however my plan is to use it myself until it breaks)?

-- hide signature --

Some photos taken since I bought my Nex-6&7: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dimitriv/

miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,824
Like?

Black is stealth.

I prefer remaining stealth to take natural shots of people and events.

captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,832Gear list
Like?
In reply to miro3, 5 months ago

The A6000 sure reminds me of the NEX-F3.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,659
Like?
Really need to see the cameras 'in the flesh'

Product photos don't tell the whole story and things that look great in the publicity can be rather cheap and tacky looking when you see them in reality

So far I prefer the silver version because it reminds me of a Contax G1 (I guess this is delberate!) but I reserve the right to change my mind when the model is actually in the shops 

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! A5000 & A6000 success.... campaign for *REAL* NEX-5 and NEX-7 replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

ryan92084
Regular MemberPosts: 461Gear list
Like?

I prefer the silver/metal look and am holding out on a preorder until it becomes available in the US. I've never been a fan of the chunky black plasticy look that had become the DSLR norm and try to stay away from it (not that the a6000 is chunky). Even the shinier lenses match the buttons so I think they compliment each other quite well.

That being said both models look quite sleek.

ryan92084's gear list:ryan92084's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,381
Like?

DimitriDV wrote:

Seeky wrote:

I voted black because:

Caveats:

I don't dislike the SEL1670 on the silver A6000, matches nicely with the black hand grip imo.

On my Nex-6 I got a few corners where the black finish went away leaving some white visible; this can easily be covered with a black permanent marker (fades with use, but pretty much looks like new). Such marks would be lesser visible with a silver finish probably, but not as easy to cover up.

I noticed that the Sony branding is not as visible on the silver finish, which I find positive since I don't like to showoff brands; I have covered it with a little piece of black tape on my Nex-6 which is still an effective solution, and perhaps renders it more invisible than what possible on a silver finish. A tie on this point imo.

Does anybody think that one of the colors would lower its resale value (however my plan is to use it myself until it breaks)?

-- hide signature --

Some photos taken since I bought my Nex-6&7: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dimitriv/

Yes, I think the black will hold value better. Current Silver and White NEX bodies sell for *dirt*

-- hide signature --

miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,824
Like?
In reply to Marla2008, 5 months ago

Marla2008 wrote:

DimitriDV wrote:

Seeky wrote:

I voted black because:

Caveats:

-- hide signature --

Yes, I think the black will hold value better. Current Silver and White NEX bodies sell for *dirt*

Thanks god there is no pink version (yet).

-- hide signature --

quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,055Gear list
Like?

Judging just by bodies alone, the silver looks a lot nicer to me.  But knowing that Sony have no interest in developing a serious line of silver lenses (and the 'titanium' silver a6000 does not even match the existing silver lenses), I'd definitely go for a black one.  Which is a shame, since cameras tend towards the boring as far as design and esthetics go.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
NexMan
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?

The silver looks sexier but really need to see both in person.

jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,671
Like?
re: serious - and the lensess too... in BLACK
In reply to Marla2008, 5 months ago

Marla2008 wrote:

I like all my cameras in black. Serious, no nonsense.

...one of my ongoing gripes with EF longer FLs teles was their obnoxious, attention-calling whiteness: or rather white-black-white zebra patterns How I envied the Nikkors, always in pleasant black, although usually both pricier and more heavy than the corresponding white whales of Canon

upon embracing Nex'en it was not a pleasant discovery, that they preferred silver (and white again for some A-mount zooms);

jpr2

captura
Like?
Re: Really need to see the cameras 'in the flesh'
In reply to parallaxproblem, 5 months ago

You might remember, last year when the Pana. GX7 was introduced in the US, it only came in one color; silver. Lots of buyers wanted the black version instead and some bought theirs from Canada. And now suddenly, US buyers can get them in both colors.

Sony did not make that mistake with the A6000.

Regards,

Steve

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
captura
Like?
In reply to miro3, 5 months ago

miro3 wrote:

Marla2008 wrote:

DimitriDV wrote:

Seeky wrote:

I voted black because:

Caveats:

-- hide signature --

Thanks god there is no pink version (yet).

-- hide signature --

If it was made by Pentax instead, there would be!

Section10
Contributing MemberPosts: 647Gear list
Like?

The silver/goldish one has a nice refreshing look to it. To it...To uit....Touit, That reminds me, mine has to be black to match my Touit.

Section10's gear list:Section10's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1R Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +2 more
pew pew
Contributing MemberPosts: 601Gear list
Like?

The silver camera looks more stylish, and contrary to what some people say it goes nicely with black lens, since the camera has black elements. But i would pick it on black because its more discreet and probably less visible scratches

pew pew's gear list:pew pew's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS 100D
JMC Art
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
In reply to pew pew, 3 months ago

pew pew wrote:

The silver camera looks more stylish, and contrary to what some people say it goes nicely with black lens, since the camera has black elements. But i would pick it on black because its more discreet and probably less visible scratches

Along with the style aspect, this is precisely the reason I'm going for the "silver" one. It doesn't show scratches as well. If the black one scratches, it will reveal some hideous metal underneath, while the silver one is metal throughout.

I think the silver is more stylish and will look good with black lenses as well. What is incomprehensible to me is why they won't sell the 1670 kit with the silver one. Its like you can't use black lenses with it. Anyone got any insight on this?

AndreasPson
Forum MemberPosts: 74Gear list
Like?
In reply to JMC Art, 3 months ago

The champagne body should have a black lens since the grip is black.

Selling my nex-5 but keeping my black 16-50 lens for the champagne a6000. Gonna be great.

AndreasPson's gear list:AndreasPson's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
abortabort
Contributing MemberPosts: 878Gear list
Like?
In reply to DimitriDV, 3 months ago

Hasselblad Lunar silver for me please, if we ever get the option here. You look like a creep shooting a 'stealth' camera, older looking more vintage cameras are more dissarming.

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Sony RX100 Ricoh GR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 +32 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads