Just got the zeiss 24-70mm for my a7r

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,284
Like?
Just got the zeiss 24-70mm for my a7r
7 months ago

24mm without nd filter

A bit bigger and heavier than I thought but happy with it and don't see vignetting at 24 or with tiffen variable filter on. I stuck it outside my balcony in P mode and auto ISO,so not that interesting but tooke at 24mm 70mm and a panorama so hope you can evaluate the lens as I don't know how to and it looks fine to me. Had to use jpeg mode in Picasa as the raw doesn't include this camera. Thoughts most welcome.

70 mm

24mm with nd filter

vertical panorama at 24mm

-- hide signature --

fredyr

Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Avi Rib
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
Re: Just got the zeiss 24-70mm for my a7r
In reply to Fredy Ross, 7 months ago

Congrats on your new Lens, nice view of TLV (I'm guessing). I was contemplating between this lens and the FE55 1.8 for my A7 and eventually decided to go with the 55.

Can you try taking a picture with and without your filter, do you see any difference? As I'm paranoid about the potential loss in IQ and I absolutely love the zeiss colors and contrast I've decided to go with the Zeiss UV filter which is being shipped now.

Here is a ooc jpeg without the filter.

 Avi Rib's gear list:Avi Rib's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,284
Like?
Re: Just got the zeiss 24-70mm for my a7r
In reply to Avi Rib, 7 months ago

I never use a uv filter but took one with an nd filter if you look. I think of ff as a scenery camera so am prepared to use my nex 6 with with 35mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.8 as I don't print bigger than 13x19 so don't see the need for ff for portraits. And yes it is Tel Aviv, kikar hamedina. Today the weather is bad but I do get some stunning sunsets so will be interested to see the difference between cropped and uncropped cameras. I am an old lady so am not so critical about corners etc as I rarely take things like architecture to print and tend to play with my photos with photoshop. I am sure you will be happy with your choice but I love wide and am also using my ultra wide at 14mm on the a7r to get great distortions like the head of a horse or in the narrow stteets of the old city.

-- hide signature --

fredyr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,787Gear list
Like?
Actually, the first image is the perfect shot for evaluating the lens...
In reply to Fredy Ross, 7 months ago

Fredy Ross wrote:

24mm without nd filter

I stuck it outside my balcony in P mode and auto ISO,so not that interesting but tooke at 24mm 70mm and a panorama so hope you can evaluate the lens as I don't know how to

..for general landscape. IMO of course.

i.e. every corner (literally) of the image is at infinity for 24mm. A natural flat wall.

Thank you for the post.

and it looks fine to me.

The right/left edges and corners are considerably softer than the center and this with a big stop down. Now that I am thinking about it, I didn't check for decentering but I am in the middle of my composition so I'll check after I post.

Had to use jpeg mode in Picasa as the raw doesn't include this camera. Thoughts most welcome.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. It is better to have It and not need It than need It and not have It. Various RAW comparisons at Link. Includes 5D3 vs D800E, 5D3 vs. 6D, Zeiss lenses etc. https://app.box.com/s/71w40ita6hrcfghojaie

 Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
osv
osv
Senior MemberPosts: 1,565
Like?
Re: Actually, the first image is the perfect shot for evaluating the lens...
In reply to Rick Knepper, 7 months ago

Rick Knepper wrote:

The right/left edges and corners are considerably softer than the center and this with a big stop down. Now that I am thinking about it, I didn't check for decentering but I am in the middle of my composition so I'll check after I post.

^^^ this... the sides are soft, but unfortunately the pic is way too small to do a proper evaluation.

did you shoot in some jpeg crop mode? or crop and edit it before posting? always shoot eval jpegs at the biggest size the camera can create, and turn off all in-camera processing, then post the unaltered pic right as it came out of the camera.

when it comes to lens eval, you need picassa about like you need a hole in the head.

-- hide signature --

dan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,284
Like?
Re: Actually, the first image is the perfect shot for evaluating the lens...
In reply to osv, 7 months ago
-- hide signature --

no i took raw + jpeg but was busy so just sent it smaller unedited through picasa. if you look at it through the loop you can see the people enlarged and i am okay with lens. just thought i would share for those who are interested. i only did it as somebody complained about vignetting at 24mm and not here even with nd filter on.
fredyr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,284
Like?
just in case anybody is interested in the same lens at night.
In reply to Fredy Ross, 7 months ago

I am a happy camper as I was worried by reading other's complaints.

-- hide signature --

fredyr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Martin Muehlemann
Contributing MemberPosts: 901Gear list
Like?
Re: Just got the zeiss 24-70mm for my a7r
In reply to Fredy Ross, 7 months ago

Cool. I received mine today too

 Martin Muehlemann's gear list:Martin Muehlemann's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7S Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,561Gear list
Like?
Re: Just got the zeiss 24-70mm for my a7r
In reply to Fredy Ross, 7 months ago

The images shot with this lens look fine.  The vertical lines are straight and that can not be an accident.  Except the pano which is sloping in two directions, so maybe your stitching skills need some work.

If you feel there is an issue, send the lens in for servicing. The brain trust on DPReview are all experts I am sure, but the end result is to take the lens in for service if you think that is needed. I would do this under warranty if possible. A camera shop employee may be able to help if you feel there is an issue, then again many camera store employees are minimum wage cashiers with no training.

Lenses are generally better stopped down, but try all apertures and compare the end results.  A $1200 lens should not have any huge flaws. If you are publicly displaying prints the first comment will not be 'Was this shot at with a 24mm at f4 as it has light falloff in the corners!"

You can also look at reviews on this lens and that may give you insight as to where the strengths and weakness lie. However if you need to shoot at 24mm do not avoid doing so just because some 'expert' feels 24mm is soft. This is one of the best and in fact the only lens for Sony FF with AF and a range of 24-70mm. It has a blue Zeiss sticker and that should mean at least above average performance at all settings.

I would spend some time with the lens taking photos, and evaluate the lens as you go.

Realize that this Sony Zeiss is not perfect to begin with (the lens is corrected in software I believe) but it is a good tool and capable of producing excellent results. Have fun with your new toy.

 RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,284
Like?
Re: Just got the zeiss 24-70mm for my a7r
In reply to RonFrank, 7 months ago

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

fredyr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dandrewk
Contributing MemberPosts: 705Gear list
Like?
Re: Just got the zeiss 24-70mm for my a7r
In reply to RonFrank, 7 months ago

RonFrank wrote:

The images shot with this lens look fine. The vertical lines are straight and that can not be an accident. Except the pano which is sloping in two directions, so maybe your stitching skills need some work.

If you feel there is an issue, send the lens in for servicing. The brain trust on DPReview are all experts I am sure, but the end result is to take the lens in for service if you think that is needed. I would do this under warranty if possible. A camera shop employee may be able to help if you feel there is an issue, then again many camera store employees are minimum wage cashiers with no training.

Lenses are generally better stopped down, but try all apertures and compare the end results. A $1200 lens should not have any huge flaws. If you are publicly displaying prints the first comment will not be 'Was this shot at with a 24mm at f4 as it has light falloff in the corners!"

You can also look at reviews on this lens and that may give you insight as to where the strengths and weakness lie. However if you need to shoot at 24mm do not avoid doing so just because some 'expert' feels 24mm is soft. This is one of the best and in fact the only lens for Sony FF with AF and a range of 24-70mm. It has a blue Zeiss sticker and that should mean at least above average performance at all settings.

I would spend some time with the lens taking photos, and evaluate the lens as you go.

Realize that this Sony Zeiss is not perfect to begin with (the lens is corrected in software I believe) but it is a good tool and capable of producing excellent results. Have fun with your new toy.

Completely agree.

You mention to "look at reviews of this lens".  Are there any, outside of "layman" reviews posted here and in other forums?  Not many of these are based on a controlled environment involving objective criteria.  Most of them claim defects that I just cannot see from the example images.

The lens has been available for about a week.  Reviewers may have had pre-release versions for longer than that.  Perhaps we can hold off until this website and other reliable sources have had a chance to properly test and evaluate this lens.

FWIW, I now have this lens and (so far) love it.  It's pretty much what I would expect from a Zeiss lens.  It's not perfect, but then it is a zoom lens.  Any "imperfections" arising from that are easily corrected in post.

 Dandrewk's gear list:Dandrewk's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nostatic
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
Re: Just got the zeiss 24-70mm for my a7r
In reply to Dandrewk, 7 months ago

Dandrewk wrote:

The lens has been available for about a week. Reviewers may have had pre-release versions for longer than that. Perhaps we can hold off until this website and other reliable sources have had a chance to properly test and evaluate this lens.

Crazy talk. Right now dozens of DPR members are writing reviews. Of course they don't have the lens, nor do they own an A7(r). But they've seen photos on the interwebs and that is proof enough!

fwiw I've seen tests from someone who I trust and they are very good. Not perfect - no zoom is. I've had my copy for a few days and I don't have any complaints. Comparing it to the 35/2.8 and RX1r gives comparable results. That alone is good enough for me since both of those solutions are stellar. ymmv.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dandrewk
Contributing MemberPosts: 705Gear list
Like?
Re: Just got the zeiss 24-70mm for my a7r
In reply to nostatic, 7 months ago

nostatic wrote:

Dandrewk wrote:

The lens has been available for about a week. Reviewers may have had pre-release versions for longer than that. Perhaps we can hold off until this website and other reliable sources have had a chance to properly test and evaluate this lens.

Crazy talk. Right now dozens of DPR members are writing reviews. Of course they don't have the lens, nor do they own an A7(r). But they've seen photos on the interwebs and that is proof enough!

fwiw I've seen tests from someone who I trust and they are very good. Not perfect - no zoom is. I've had my copy for a few days and I don't have any complaints. Comparing it to the 35/2.8 and RX1r gives comparable results. That alone is good enough for me since both of those solutions are stellar. ymmv.

Not sure where you get "crazy talk".  There's no debating that "dozens" have seen and commented upon images posted buy someone else, none of which are done in a controlled, repeatedly fashion producing OBJECTIVE results based on generally accepted criteria.  Until then... well, it's what Inspector Harry Callaghan said about "opinions"...

But really, what does it matter?  The -only- important "criteria" is perfectly stated in your second paragraph.  You and I bought the lens and are happy with the results.  Personally, I don't need anything else.

 Dandrewk's gear list:Dandrewk's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,890
Like?
Re: Just got the zeiss 24-70mm for my a7r
In reply to Dandrewk, 7 months ago

Dandrewk wrote:

RonFrank wrote:

The images shot with this lens look fine. The vertical lines are straight and that can not be an accident. Except the pano which is sloping in two directions, so maybe your stitching skills need some work.

If you feel there is an issue, send the lens in for servicing. The brain trust on DPReview are all experts I am sure, but the end result is to take the lens in for service if you think that is needed. I would do this under warranty if possible. A camera shop employee may be able to help if you feel there is an issue, then again many camera store employees are minimum wage cashiers with no training.

Lenses are generally better stopped down, but try all apertures and compare the end results. A $1200 lens should not have any huge flaws. If you are publicly displaying prints the first comment will not be 'Was this shot at with a 24mm at f4 as it has light falloff in the corners!"

You can also look at reviews on this lens and that may give you insight as to where the strengths and weakness lie. However if you need to shoot at 24mm do not avoid doing so just because some 'expert' feels 24mm is soft. This is one of the best and in fact the only lens for Sony FF with AF and a range of 24-70mm. It has a blue Zeiss sticker and that should mean at least above average performance at all settings.

I would spend some time with the lens taking photos, and evaluate the lens as you go.

Realize that this Sony Zeiss is not perfect to begin with (the lens is corrected in software I believe) but it is a good tool and capable of producing excellent results. Have fun with your new toy.

Completely agree.

You mention to "look at reviews of this lens". Are there any, outside of "layman" reviews posted here and in other forums? Not many of these are based on a controlled environment involving objective criteria. Most of them claim defects that I just cannot see from the example images.

The lens has been available for about a week. Reviewers may have had pre-release versions for longer than that. Perhaps we can hold off until this website and other reliable sources have had a chance to properly test and evaluate this lens.

FWIW, I now have this lens and (so far) love it. It's pretty much what I would expect from a Zeiss lens. It's not perfect, but then it is a zoom lens. Any "imperfections" arising from that are easily corrected in post.

you can't correct for soft corners at f11 in PP!!!!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,890
Like?
Re: Just got the zeiss 24-70mm for my a7r
In reply to ianbrown, 7 months ago

You may have already seen this but for those who haven't, this seems fairly comprehensive review from a user

http://phillipreeve.net/blog/rolling-review-carl-zeiss-vario-tessar-t-fe-424-70-za/

Ian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,284
Like?
I didn't complain about the lens just happy there is no vignetting at 24mm
In reply to ianbrown, 7 months ago

Yes it is expensive but so is the camera and I have no complaints. I don't expect perfection and that is why people who care buy photoshop and even some plugins for editing. Were I younger I would have waited for the 3 rd  full frame model came out, but as i will enjoy it now, I am a happy camper. Would I like a longer lighter lens for walking around, yes but at 74 I don't expect it soon and then will be too late. In the meantime it goes together with the camera very nicely and I had a lot of fun with it this morning.

-- hide signature --

fredyr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,284
Like?
And I tripped this morning but chivalry is not dead
In reply to Fredy Ross, 7 months ago

And these two cute kids helped me up.

-- hide signature --

fredyr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads