Random subject on street, is this sharp enough?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
EthanP99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,079Gear list
Like?
Random subject on street, is this sharp enough?
6 months ago

This is a crop of a photo from a random person on the street as I was attending a wedding expo with my new A7, Just wondering if this could have been sharper? Or am I too picky?

EthanP99's gear list:EthanP99's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 3,896
Like?
Re: Random subject on street, is this sharp enough?
In reply to EthanP99, 6 months ago

Plenty sharp enough for 90% of the needs out there.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug. Former 3 and F3 owner. Current proud 6 owner.
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
eths
Contributing MemberPosts: 768Gear list
Like?

For most intents and purposes, I would say yes, it is OK.

eths's gear list:eths's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
325East
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?

It could have been sharper if you'd shot it at 1/125 or 1/250.   The rule that an exposure of a reciprocal of the focal length is too sketchy to depend on.  The common rule of thumb that you can shoot a 50mm lens at 1/60 means that the results most of the time will look sufficiently sharp when enlarged around 8 X and the resulting print looked at at arm's length but it will not necessarily be critically sharpness.  Your lens will become razor sharp if you shoot it hand held no slower than 1/125.

Faketastic
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?

This could have been much sharper. I just did my first real day with the 55mm and my conclusion is that it needs at least 1/125 to shine.

Sharp enough? Only you can decide..

tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,160Gear list
Like?
In a shot like this, why would it matter? /nt
-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software. Personal website: www.texandrewsart.com
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +16 more
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,236Gear list
Like?
In reply to 325East, 6 months ago

325East wrote:

It could have been sharper if you'd shot it at 1/125 or 1/250. The rule that an exposure of a reciprocal of the focal length is too sketchy to depend on. The common rule of thumb that you can shoot a 50mm lens at 1/60 means that the results most of the time will look sufficiently sharp when enlarged around 8 X and the resulting print looked at at arm's length but it will not necessarily be critically sharpness. Your lens will become razor sharp if you shoot it hand held no slower than 1/125.

This is why learning to shoot in M mode is so important. You can place the shutter speed at 1/125 and ISO at Auto. You then only have to think about the aperture for each shot to try and get the best exposure (and ideally you are getting closer to ISO 100 in very good light). The 1/60 clearly had an impact on this shot when pixel peeping. Then again, the shot isn't unsharp enough to be a problem, and that's what really matters. The Zeiss 55 is much sharper than this shot displays, though.

-- hide signature --
 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,337Gear list
Like?
absolutely! (nt)

EthanP99 wrote:

This is a crop of a photo from a random person on the street as I was attending a wedding expo with my new A7, Just wondering if this could have been sharper? Or am I too picky?

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,236Gear list
Like?
Re: In a shot like this, why would it matter? /nt
In reply to tex, 6 months ago

tex wrote:

In a shot like this, why would it matter?

I can't speak for the OP, but for me it always matters when I don't get perfection. Photography is my hobby and I strive to get the best shot every time I take a picture. When I don't, I actually enjoy analyzing my mistakes and learning from them so that I can try and avoid being the reason I am not reaching my potential. It's fun for some of us.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
osv
osv
Senior MemberPosts: 1,518
Like?

motion blur, too slow of a shutter.

-- hide signature --

dan

Pete peterson
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?
In reply to osv, 6 months ago

The skin of her neck has no definition (for ISO 160) and if you look at the zipper and stitching they are also not defined very well. The fake fur looks very mashy.

Pete peterson's gear list:Pete peterson's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,641Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pete peterson, 6 months ago

Pete peterson wrote:

The skin of her neck has no definition (for ISO 160) and if you look at the zipper and stitching they are also not defined very well. The fake fur looks very mashy.

That is due to limited DOF.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
kenetik
Regular MemberPosts: 176
Like?

I think the short answer is yes it is sharp enough! 

Donny out of Element here
Contributing MemberPosts: 693Gear list
Like?
Re: shaky shaky hands... or subject was moving...

It's not as sharp as it could be - you need higher shutter speed. Judging by this image your hands are not steady enough for hand held 55mm 1/60 shot or your subject was not perfectly still. This lens can do much better.

RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,533Gear list
Like?

I can count her eyelashes, the wrinkles around her eyes, the pores around her nose.  When is it sharp enough?

The question is not is the image sharp rather what would make this rather plain shot really stand out? Well the background is busy without adding to the shot. The woman is shot strait on. The light is flat.  As a street shot it is good, but hardly outstanding.

The question one should be asking is where to position ones self to capture a truly inspired street shot? How can the lighting be used better?  Is a wider lens more interesting?  Should we see more of the subject vs. a headshot?

This discussion about how many freckles can we count and how many hairs are OOF is boring.  What one should be asking is what would make this shot more interesting.

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,399Gear list
Like?

EthanP99 wrote:

Unless you plan to print a poster size print, this should be plenty sharp for most uses.

There is some small movement blur that a faster shutter speed would eliminate.

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
bigley Ling
Senior MemberPosts: 1,055
Like?

I think it is plenty sharp. It is a very show off type of image where you can just keep cropping in and seeing more detail! Good work.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads