Protea via Zerene stacker A7R macro

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
OvinceZ
Senior MemberPosts: 2,588Gear list
Like?
Protea via Zerene stacker A7R macro
10 months ago

I love taking photos of flowers. This Protea was at the Blue Mountains Botanical Gardens west of Sydney. Used a tripod and the Canon 100 macro with the Metabones III adapter. Focus peaking to get 8 photos then stacked in Zerene software. Then heaps of fine detail cleanup via Photoshop.

This is the cropped full size original.

Vince

OvinceZ's gear list:OvinceZ's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +14 more
Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DUSTY LENS
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,744
Like?
Re: Protea via Zerene stacker A7R macro
In reply to OvinceZ, 10 months ago

OvinceZ wrote:

I love taking photos of flowers. This Protea was at the Blue Mountains Botanical Gardens west of Sydney. Used a tripod and the Canon 100 macro with the Metabones III adapter. Focus peaking to get 8 photos then stacked in Zerene software. Then heaps of fine detail cleanup via Photoshop.

This is the cropped full size original.

Vince

Nice flower shot .

I love doing flower shots also , but when I get a very nice shot ( 1 out of ten if everything goes well ) Then i really do not enjoy downsizing my 24 Mp shots to upload and share them .

It seems like too much effort , just to sacrifice some of the beauty . Only reason I mention it , is that I would post one here if this were not the bottom line situation situation .

Dusty

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 4,149
Like?

Great work.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug. Former 3 and F3 owner. Current proud 6 owner.
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,328Gear list
Like?
Technically interesting, but I'm seeing something...

Looking at the image full size (original) there are a few fibers that are "doubled" vertically.  But this is not consistent across the frame---the doubled ones are on the middle right.  Misalignment of the stacked frames?  The dreaded shutter shock?

I am curious....

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software. Personal website: www.texandrewsart.com
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Rokinon T-S 24mm 1:3.5 ED AS UMC +15 more
osv
osv
Senior MemberPosts: 2,010
Like?

nice pic!

i bet that there is little room for movement error when taking those shots.

-- hide signature --

dan

OvinceZ
Like?
In reply to osv, 10 months ago

Hi Dan,

The main problem about stacking is the wind. Just a bit of movement can cause delicate flower parts to shift and there goes the alignment.

Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +14 more
OvinceZ
Like?
Re: Technically interesting, but I'm seeing something...
In reply to tex, 10 months ago

tex wrote:

Looking at the image full size (original) there are a few fibers that are "doubled" vertically. But this is not consistent across the frame---the doubled ones are on the middle right. Misalignment of the stacked frames? The dreaded shutter shock?

I am curious....

When you stack several photos of a flower with delicate hair and other parts you really have to be lucky to stitch them together. The more photos you stack the more difficult it is. I spent a couple of hours removing much of the doubling. I assume that is mostly not aligning properly. There was some wind on the day I took the photos so who knows. I haven't done any tests re the shutter shock. I also removed a few ants that were not in sharp focus. So the flower isn't perfect but it has a depth of field that isn't possible with most full frame cameras. Typically you can get about 1/3 of a flower this big in focus with each photo. When I do stacking I shoot using the peaking and go from front to back and keep adjusting the focus until I get to the back of the flower. It doesn't always work well and seldom if relying on handheld shots.

Vince

tex
tex
Like?
Thank you /nt
-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software. Personal website: www.texandrewsart.com
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Rokinon T-S 24mm 1:3.5 ED AS UMC +15 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Very nice image, here's one from Univ. of California, Santa Cruz arboretum, largest display of Australian plants in norther hemisphere.

J

joel artino's gear list:joel artino's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Fujifilm X-A1
DUSTY LENS
Like?
Re: Technically interesting, but I'm seeing something...
In reply to tex, 10 months ago

tex wrote:

Looking at the image full size (original) there are a few fibers that are "doubled" vertically. But this is not consistent across the frame---the doubled ones are on the middle right. Misalignment of the stacked frames? The dreaded shutter shock?

I am curious....

You know , you'r not supposed to be fibre peeping everytime someone posts a nice flower photo . But , that said , were there any dust mites on the petals ? or did you see any mold ?

We can't allow dust mites or mold on this caliber of photo work .

DUSTY LENS
Like?

OvinceZ wrote:

Hi Dan,

The main problem about stacking is the wind. Just a bit of movement can cause delicate flower parts to shift and there goes the alignment.

You can always through out the miss fits , and continue with the others .

I really don't know how stacking is going to improve sharpness .

But then , I've never done it so that's just me .

DUSTY LENS
Like?
In reply to joel artino, 10 months ago

joel artino wrote:

Very nice image, here's one from Univ. of California, Santa Cruz arboretum, largest display of Australian plants in norther hemisphere.

J

This one can dazzle one with wild fuzzy snooper heads . But that being said , it is a beautiful craeture in it's own right .

Secretly , I love it . Don't tell .

tex
tex
Like?
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not
In reply to DUSTY LENS, 10 months ago

Personally I could very much see how something like this should be preternaturally perfect.  But this is not my area---the work I do of this nature in which I would use this technique(which I haven't yet, but have and am still considering) it has more to do with imperfection, decay, & etc.  Although I am thinking of another body of work I'm gearing up to do that might need this unusual level of perfection.

So, in this case I was mostly interested in the technical aspects of what you had done with this camera, and less the subject matter or other aesthetic qualities---a large measure of which in this case have to do with the technical aspects of the image making, much like botanical images and other like material from past centuries.

I was merely struck by what was evident in one part of the image and not in another, in the context of a number of threads and comments on this forum about this camera.

-- hide signature --

OvinceZ
Like?
In reply to DUSTY LENS, 10 months ago

DUSTY LENS wrote:

I really don't know how stacking is going to improve sharpness .

But then , I've never done it so that's just me .

When you take a photo of most flowers you get what you focus on sharp and depending on the depth of field of the lens/camera combo other parts of the flower are usually not as sharp. Large flowers with protuding parts like Hibiscus are difficult to capture with all parts sharp.

The Protea is a reasonably large flower perhaps 3 to 4 inches across. So the challenge is to see if you can get all parts of the flower sharp. The closest parts right through to the distant parts. You can take several photos focusing on different parts of the flower. Then use software to stack the photos and hopefully get a result where everything is sharp. If you are in a studio with no wind then you won't have any trouble. However, if you are outside then even a gentle breeze can disturb some of the delicate parts and software will have trouble stacking them. It can be very time consuming to do this. The real work starts after the stacking has completed. Another problem is that the lens moves slightly with each focus adjustment and that affects what is seen. Those who use focus rails also introduce this problem.

Of course, you can avoid much of these problems if you use a camera with a tiny sensor...like a mobile phone. If you can focus close and fill the frame with the flower you might get most parts sharp in the one photo.

Vince

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads