Metabones Leica R to M 4/3

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Francis E
Senior MemberPosts: 1,527Gear list
Like?
Metabones Leica R to M 4/3
8 months ago

Can anyone kindly tell me what modifications are needed to a Summicron 50/2 when using this adapter, and what the restrictions on metering are?

Francis E's gear list:Francis E's gear list
Leica C Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 +1 more
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,341
Like?
Re: Metabones Leica R to M 4/3
In reply to Francis E, 8 months ago

Francis E wrote:

Can anyone kindly tell me what modifications are needed to a Summicron 50/2 when using this adapter, and what the restrictions on metering are?

Is this an R mount lens? (pardon my ignorance).

My general experience with focal reducers is that the camera meters whatever light comes through the lens and therefore any adjustments are automatic.

Apart form the Sony E mount focal reducers for Canon EF lenses which "talk" to the camera and can control the lens from the camera all other focal reducers are completely dumb.  Brian C foreshadowed an EF mount focal reducer for the M4/3 mount.  If successful this will allow EF mount lenses to report to the camera and can in turn be controlled by the camera.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bigley Ling
Senior MemberPosts: 1,188Gear list
Like?

There is a metal flange that sticks out of some lens that is used to protect the protruding rear element. The modification is usually non reversible, and requires physical filing off this metal flange so it does not interfere or collide with the speed booster.

bigley Ling
Senior MemberPosts: 1,188Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tom Caldwell, 8 months ago

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Is this an R mount lens? (pardon my ignorance).

My general experience with focal reducers is that the camera meters whatever light comes through the lens and therefore any adjustments are automatic.

Apart form the Sony E mount focal reducers for Canon EF lenses which "talk" to the camera and can control the lens from the camera all other focal reducers are completely dumb. Brian C foreshadowed an EF mount focal reducer for the M4/3 mount. If successful this will allow EF mount lenses to report to the camera and can in turn be controlled by the camera.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Yes, the EF to NEX Metabones adapters have excellent communication between  Canon EF and E-mount, so much so even auto ISO works to provide higher shutter speeds with larger focal lengths and lower shutter speeds for wider focal lengths. This is ideal when using a Canon Zoom lens.

Francis E
Like?
In reply to bigley Ling, 8 months ago

bigley Ling wrote:

There is a metal flange that sticks out of some lens that is used to protect the protruding rear element. The modification is usually non reversible, and requires physical filing off this metal flange so it does not interfere or collide with the speed booster.

Yes, I think that's it. I'm currently using a Novoflex Leica R to M 4/3 which doesn't have this problem. It's on an OMD EM5. The Leica R lenses are all MF, but I have all other functions including metering.

Francis E
Like?

Yes, Summicron 50/2 is a Leica R lens.

Drplusplus
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?

Francis E wrote:

I have a Wetzlar Summicron-R that had previously been used on an R3.  It did not need any modifications for use with a Metabones on an E-PL1.  Focusing is manual and so is setting the aperture.

Drplusplus
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?
In reply to Drplusplus, 8 months ago

Drplusplus wrote:

Francis E wrote:

I have a Wetzlar Summicron-R that had previously been used on an R3. It did not need any modifications for use with a Metabones on an E-PL1. Focusing is manual and so is setting the aperture.

Strike that--I think you are talking about the SpeedBooster and not the adapter.

Francis E
Like?
In reply to Drplusplus, 8 months ago

Strike that--I think you are talking about the SpeedBooster and not the adapter.

Yes, that's correct. I'm certainly not qualified or willing to make modifications to my Summicron R 50/2, so I'll stick with my existing Novoflex.

I have a number of other Leitz lenses with longer focal lengths which really don't work with such a big crop, so eventually I made need to get one of the Sony Alpha FF.

Tom Caldwell
Like?

Francis E wrote:

Yes, that's correct. I'm certainly not qualified or willing to make modifications to my Summicron R 50/2, so I'll stick with my existing Novoflex.

I have a number of other Leitz lenses with longer focal lengths which really don't work with such a big crop, so eventually I made need to get one of the Sony Alpha FF.

Why don't you ask Metabones, the word form the horse's mouth has to be more reliable than the cowboys that ride it.  Let alone someone who only has a pony and thinks that the pony knows what the horse thinks by analogy.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Francis E
Like?

Why don't you ask Metabones

The Leitz Summicron 50/2 is listed on their website as a lens needing modification. Protruding rear element is a problem that can only be fixed by filing down, something I'm not willing to do.

Regards

Tom Caldwell
Like?

Francis E wrote:

Why don't you ask Metabones

The Leitz Summicron 50/2 is listed on their website as a lens needing modification. Protruding rear element is a problem that can only be fixed by filing down, something I'm not willing to do.

Regards

I don't blame you Francis I would not do it either.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Francis E
Like?

Tom Caldwell wrote:

I don't blame you Francis I would not do it either

No, not an option. I'll see if I can save up for a Sony A7.

Regards

Tom Caldwell
Like?

Francis E wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

I don't blame you Francis I would not do it either

No, not an option. I'll see if I can save up for a Sony A7.

Regards

Tried my son's A7R, takes great images but I had reservations about its user interface.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Francis E
Like?

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Tried my son's A7R, takes great images but I had reservations about its user interface.

I tried one in the Sony Centre here with a Zeiss 35/1.8. I got some nice images, but they were quoting $A 2,499 body only and the Zeiss glass was $A 999. That's really quite expensive. The Sony Centre didn't have any other lens for it, the A7 kit lens not being available separately.

I also worry about how the Leitz R lenses will work with an adapter. It would be quite easy to make an expensive mistake.

Regards

Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?

Focal length reducers on µ4/3 cameras only work in aperture priority mode, or on full manual... You cannot use any of the automatic adjustments with your camera lens apart from light metering.

You can use aperture priority mode so you don't have to do a focus and aperture dance and instead just open the aperture blades to where you want them, but you still have to adjust everything else manually.

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
Francis E
Like?
In reply to Lumixdude, 8 months ago

Lumixdude wrote:

Focal length reducers on ยต4/3 cameras only work in aperture priority mode, or on full manual... You cannot use any of the automatic adjustments with your camera lens apart from light metering.

Yes, understood. I do get good results using Leitz Summicron R 50/2 on OMD EM 5 with a Novoflex adapter.

Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?

I also get good results with my FD 135mm F/3.5 which is effectively a 270mm daylight only prime now... It has nasty CA up until about around F/8 and slightly higher where it becomes full sharp, but it's a great lens for the purpose when I need to get close to something I can't otherwise with my feet and its quality really stands out once you get there.

You just have to know your limitations when you're playing with old manual focus glass.

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
Francis E
Like?
In reply to Lumixdude, 8 months ago

Lumixdude wrote:

You just have to know your limitations when you're playing with old manual focus glass.

Yes, I agree entirely. On getting close, though, you could probably achieve the same results using a modern lens like the Zuiko 75/1.8 and cropping. But the thing I really like about Leitz R glass is the way it renders colour.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads