My first day out with my EM10 and 25mm f1.8! (Pics intensive)

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
aaronius
Regular MemberPosts: 318Gear list
Like?
My first day out with my EM10 and 25mm f1.8! (Pics intensive)
10 months ago
No text.
 aaronius's gear list:aaronius's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,598Gear list
Like?
Re: My first day out with my EM10 and 25mm f1.8! (Pics intensive)
In reply to aaronius, 10 months ago

Excellent pics.   Jpeg or RAW?

Can you report on the following:

• handling
  • menu system
  • AF.  Both single and continuous focus modes.
 Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gsergei
Contributing MemberPosts: 688Gear list
Like?
where are the photos ???

don't see anything .

-- hide signature --

Sergei,
Calgary.
www.alberta-photo.com

gsergei's gear list:gsergei's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus E-M1 +12 more
aodi
Contributing MemberPosts: 741
Like?
Re: where are the photos ???
In reply to gsergei, 10 months ago

gsergei wrote:

don't see anything .

The same here

-- hide signature --

Sergei,
Calgary.
www.alberta-photo.com

-- hide signature --

Anatoli

jennajenna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,188
Like?
In reply to aodi, 10 months ago

his oly pics em10 are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronius80/with/12713761483/

but he;'s used an xt1 by fuji, and rx1 by sony, a high end ricoh etc...

i wonder if this camera purchasing is an addiction...lol

Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,598Gear list
Like?
In reply to jennajenna, 10 months ago

jennajenna wrote:

Yep.

OP has foot fully on the G.A.S. pedal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronius80/sets/72157641391302713/

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,510
Like?
wow amazing camera!

aaronius wrote:

Wow, that camera sounds AMAZING based on your description and write-up.

aaronius
Like?
Sorry guys! Here is the post with the pics! (Pics intensive)

Hey sorry guys, not sure what happened. I thought I have posted with the views and the images already.

Anyway I was very excited about getting the EM10 as my 1st foray into the M4/3 world.  Got my EM10 last Friday together with my 1st M4/3 lens, the Olympus 25mm f1.8.  Visited the Sea Aquarium last weekend to test out this little combo and I am pleased to report that I am officially a convert! What a combo! Speed of AF, general responsiveness, IQ and even high ISO.  Quite alot of the images are taken at ISO 4000 (my upper limit set in Auto ISO) as it was really dim in some parts of the Sea Aquarium.

I really enjoy my experience in shooting with this camera and lens.  M4/3 is definitely my first choice for a system camera now.

Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
aaronius
Like?
More pics!

baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,271Gear list
Like?
Re: More pics!

I've been driving all day,  looking at grey skies and dirty snow, and walking in mud when I got out of the car.  The pastel colors in your pictures are just what I needed to see.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
aaronius
Like?
Pics of jellyfishes

aaronius
Like?
A few more pics of the aquatic creatures

aaronius
Like?
Other random pics!

aaronius
Like?
My observations
In reply to Len_Gee, 10 months ago

Len_Gee wrote:

Excellent pics. Jpeg or RAW?

Can you report on the following:

• handling
  • menu system
  • AF. Both single and continuous focus modes.

hi Len_Gee, all the pics are taken in Jpeg as my LR4.4 cannot open the EM10 RAW files.

Handling: This is my 1st Olympus camera and 2nd M4/3 camera, I owned a Panasonic GF1 long ago for a short period of time. I quite like the handling of the camera, very well-built and feels comfortable in the hands. Light yet have a heft to it then lets you feel that it is a premium product. The grip is adequate although I would have like the EM1 grip. All the dials, wheels and buttons are at the places they should be. I especially like the twin wheels, actually prefers it to the dials on top of the Fujifilm XT1. The twin wheels make it very easy to adjust apertures, shutter speeds, scrolling through pics and all the important stuffs.

Menu system: The menu system is abit daunting because there so many options and I am not sure what some of the options do. There is a high level of customisation available, I think I need some time to figure them out. E.g. there is a shading compensation option which is set to off by default. Not sure what it does, heard it supposed to remove vignetting. I quite like Super Control Panel view though and find it very easy to access certain settings from there.

There are two things I find puzzling/annoying. One is regarding the customisation of the FN1 and FN2 buttons, there is only a limited set of options which you can set to these two buttons. Some of them not so useful in my opinion. For example, I should be able to set ISO to FN2 but sadly I can't do it. I want to set FN1 to RAW button but can't do it too. I can set the FN1 to shoot RAW & Jpeg but not RAW only, why can't I just choose to shoot RAW using the shortcut? Second is if you accidentally exit the menu, it doesn't go back to the menu you last access so you have to scroll all the way back to where you previously were. My RX1 menu is better in this aspect. Hopefully a firmware update can fix these.

AF: I was using mainly single AF and it was very speedy and confident even in very dim lightings.  I feel that it is more confident in locking on to its target than the XT1 I tried recently.  I only tried the C-AF once when I tried to track a swimming shark.  I was using centre AF point + C-AF, it was quite alright, I took 4 pics and 3 were in focus.  The shark was not swimming at a very high speed though, more like a leisurely pace.

Hope my observations help!

aaronius
Like?
In reply to Len_Gee, 10 months ago

Len_Gee wrote:

jennajenna wrote:

Yep.

OP has foot fully on the G.A.S. pedal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronius80/sets/72157641391302713/

Haha please guys! I don't have G.A.S! I don't own an XT1, only tried it briefly at a launch event.  The EM10 is to replace my Ricoh GR, my Ricoh GR is currently on sales already.  So I only own two cameras, the RX1 and EM10.  I have a Nikon V1 too but that belongs to my wife.

Don't think owning two cameras is G.A.S.

Bluevortex
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?

What a great post and nice of you to share such a good selection of images! I recently purchased the 25mm 1.4 with my em5 so I'm naturally intrigued by the Oly alternative!

Thanks for sharing

Blue

Bluevortex's gear list:Bluevortex's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
berni29
Senior MemberPosts: 1,491Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bluevortex, 10 months ago

Hi

Very nice images. I enjoyed those. welcome onboard.

-- hide signature --

Berni29
EM-5, GM1 + Pana 12-32mm, 35-100mm f2.8, 20mm, 14-45mm Oly 45mm, 50mm F2 macro, (prev GH1, E30, E510, E1, E300, LX3)

berni29's gear list:berni29's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
aaronius
Like?
Re: More pics!
In reply to baxters, 10 months ago

baxters wrote:

I've been driving all day, looking at grey skies and dirty snow, and walking in mud when I got out of the car. The pastel colors in your pictures are just what I needed to see.

Thanks I am glad the pictures have made your day a little more colourful!:) The Olympus colours are really something.

aaronius
Like?
In reply to berni29, 10 months ago

berni29 wrote:

Hi

Very nice images. I enjoyed those. welcome onboard.

-- hide signature --

Berni29
EM-5, GM1 + Pana 12-32mm, 35-100mm f2.8, 20mm, 14-45mm Oly 45mm, 50mm F2 macro, (prev GH1, E30, E510, E1, E300, LX3)

Thank you! I am very glad to join the big M4/3 family here!

aaronius
Like?
In reply to Bluevortex, 10 months ago

Bluevortex wrote:

What a great post and nice of you to share such a good selection of images! I recently purchased the 25mm 1.4 with my em5 so I'm naturally intrigued by the Oly alternative!

Thanks for sharing

Blue

The 50mm focal length is a classic focal length and it is my favorite next to the 35mm focal length. The Leica 25mm F1.4 is a great lens too and if there is no Olympus equivalent, I might get that!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads