EM10: asides from the price, nothing entry level about it

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
dv312
Senior MemberPosts: 1,842Gear list
Like?
EM10: asides from the price, nothing entry level about it
10 months ago

http://www.akam.no/artikler/test-olympus-om-d-e-m10/157169?utm_source=related_articles

I love this little toy of mine

If it survives in Norway, It'll survive anywhere

Cheers

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +7 more
Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
callaesthetics
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
Re: EM10: asides from the price, nothing entry level about it
In reply to dv312, 10 months ago

I've just ventured into the world of m43 because I needed a lighter solution for my casual photographic needs. I wanted something with wifi for instant upload and sharing so the E-M10 just made sense. I'm loving this little system.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Harvey Melvin Richards
Regular MemberPosts: 149Gear list
Like?
In reply to callaesthetics, 10 months ago

callaesthetics wrote:

I've just ventured into the world of m43 because I needed a lighter solution for my casual photographic needs. I wanted something with wifi for instant upload and sharing so the E-M10 just made sense. I'm loving this little system.

I've had mine for 3 days now, and I'm also loving it. I'm not getting the wifi "instant" uploads though. The USB cable is much faster when used with my iPad 3.

Harvey Melvin Richards's gear list:Harvey Melvin Richards's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,510
Like?
Price isn't entry-level

dv312 wrote:

http://www.akam.no/artikler/test-olympus-om-d-e-m10/157169?utm_source=related_articles

Cheers

An entry-level price is the Nikon D3200 which sells for less than $500 with the kit lens. The EM-10 is $300 more expensive. Yet the D3200 gives you a real optical viewfinder and a bigger 24MP sensor that has a much higher sensor score at DXOMark.

Laszlo13
Contributing MemberPosts: 819Gear list
Like?
Re: Price isn't entry-level
In reply to sigala1, 10 months ago

sigala1 wrote:

dv312 wrote:

Cheers

An entry-level price is the Nikon D3200 which sells for less than $500 with the kit lens. The EM-10 is $300 more expensive. Yet the D3200 gives you a real optical viewfinder and a bigger 24MP sensor that has a much higher sensor score at DXOMark.

A real optical viewfinder?  I think you missed the whole point of mirrorless.  Have you compared the 2 viewfinders?  I wouldn't ever go back to a DSLR mirror viewfinder, not even a full frame prism type, not to mention the small dim mirrored ones.

Laszlo13's gear list:Laszlo13's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
DonSC
Contributing MemberPosts: 985
Like?

Nice review. Thanks for sharing. Personally I think the E-M5 and E-M10 are great substitutes for a PEN and I agree that there isn't much separating the E-M5 from the E-M10. But probably will be going forward.

murfthesurf
Contributing MemberPosts: 570Gear list
Like?

sigala1 wrote:

dv312 wrote:

Cheers

...And you can get it in that awesome shiny red plastic!

-- hide signature --

- Murf

murfthesurf's gear list:murfthesurf's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +1 more
sigala1
Like?
In reply to Laszlo13, 10 months ago

Laszlo13 wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

dv312 wrote:

Cheers

A real optical viewfinder? I think you missed the whole point of mirrorless. Have you compared the 2 viewfinders? I wouldn't ever go back to a DSLR mirror viewfinder, not even a full frame prism type, not to mention the small dim mirrored ones.

I haven't, but optical viewfinders are perceived by the market as being valuable, and mirrorless cameras are supposed to be less expensive because there's no optical viewfinder and mirror to add to the manufacturing cost and complexity.

sigala1
Like?
In reply to DonSC, 10 months ago

DonSC wrote:

Nice review. Thanks for sharing. Personally I think the E-M5 and E-M10 are great substitutes for a PEN and I agree that there isn't much separating the E-M5 from the E-M10. But probably will be going forward.

If you don't need weatherproofing, there's probably no reason to buy an E-M5 now.

I only have one weatherrpoof lens, the 12-50, and its image quality sucks.

I also lost the plug for the accessory port, so I am not even sure if my EM5 is still weatherproof.

Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,629Gear list
Like?

sigala1 wrote:

Laszlo13 wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

dv312 wrote:

Cheers

A real optical viewfinder? I think you missed the whole point of mirrorless. Have you compared the 2 viewfinders? I wouldn't ever go back to a DSLR mirror viewfinder, not even a full frame prism type, not to mention the small dim mirrored ones.

I haven't, but optical viewfinders are perceived by the market as being valuable, and mirrorless cameras are supposed to be less expensive because there's no optical viewfinder and mirror to add to the manufacturing cost and complexity.

I have used the D3200 and the E-M5, which I believe has the same EVF as the E-M10. Believe me, you won't be doing backflips over the D3200.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
sigala1
Like?
In reply to Ulric, 10 months ago

Ulric wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

Laszlo13 wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

dv312 wrote:

Cheers

I have used the D3200 and the E-M5, which I believe has the same EVF as the E-M10. Believe me, you won't be doing backflips over the D3200.

I'm not saying that I intend to buy a D3200, because I just don't need any more cameras right now and I prefer smaller cameras, but the MARKET is going to look at the relative prices and think that that the D3200 is a better deal and that the EM-10 is overpriced.

Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,642
Like?

You like the world to look like a video game with shadow areas black and highlights whited out?

Jack Hass
Regular MemberPosts: 392Gear list
Like?

sigala1 wrote:

Haaaaaaa dude you made me spit soda out of my nose. A real optical VF, is that what you call that little thing?? That is called a micro mirror and it is all but worthless. You are also limited to only lenses with AF motors built in with that camera, not something i want to deal with.

I bought a GX7 for $250 more than that Nikon thing. I get peaking, IBIS, video that absolutely crushes everything Nikon makes, an E shutter for ZERO in camera vibrations and millions of actuations, live exposure preview, a huge EVF, the list goes on.  I would step in front of a bus if i woke tomorrow to find a D3200 in my bag.

-- hide signature --

May Satan forever guide you.

Jack Hass
Regular MemberPosts: 392Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cane, 10 months ago

Cane wrote:

You like the world to look like a video game with shadow areas black and highlights whited out?

If you don't  then i ask, why are you a photographer? Seriously, the best DSLRs are barely touching 15 stops of DR, why should the VF offer such sky high ranges of DR when the sensor can't capture that all anyway? In a way, that gives you a false sense of security, showing your eye far more than the sensor can capture. If you ask me, an EVF, limited as it may be for now, gives you a better eye to see with, it is digital just like the sensor that takes the photo.

Mark my words, in time when devs get smarter, we will be able to adjust the EVF to match exactly what the sensor will capture with DR, you can't tell a mirror what to reflect to your eye. Want to take an HDR shot? EVF will switch to HDR mode. Want a high contrast B&W? Got that covered too. The control digital offers will do the same for the VF as it did for sensors. Welcome to the new millennium dude.

-- hide signature --

May Satan forever guide you.

prometheus10
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?

sigala1 wrote:

Regardless of how you feel about DSLR vs. mirrorless, are you actually suggesting that the manufacturing costs adn complexity of an electronic screen and it's components should be less than a mirror?

Engineering more electronics into less space will generally be more expensive and much more complex.

Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 5,704Gear list
Like?
EM10 VF is better than Penta-Mirror VF

PentaMirror VFs are like looking through a long straw.  Any VF is a step up.

For the record the D3200 is an outdated model and the D3300 is current.   The D3300 is a little cheaper than the E-M10, but also very stripped down (still a very nice camera though).

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
dgrogers
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,688Gear list
Like?

sigala1 wrote:

dv312 wrote:

Cheers

I'm not sure I'd call it a real optical viewfinder.  Optical viewfinders are rarely any good in entry level cameras.

-- hide signature --

Completely infatuated with the "OMG"

agentul
Contributing MemberPosts: 606Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jack Hass, 10 months ago

Jack Hass wrote:

I would step in front of a bus if i woke tomorrow to find a D3200 in my bag.

would that be a moving bus, or a stationary one? please specify.

agentul's gear list:agentul's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 +1 more
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,271Gear list
Like?
Re: Apples and oranges

Laszlo13 wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

dv312 wrote:

Cheers

The current model D3300 is $650 with Nikon's kit lens, $150 less than the EM10. For that price you do get a 24MP sensor, but you also get a much larger kit (720 grams vs. 490), a very small OVF with no on-screen information capabilities, an LCD without touch control, no dual control wheels, no IBIS, less video capability and no system of fast small lenses.

A size comparison with each camera's kit kit lens:

Top: http://j.mp/1fOPKQ3

Front: http://j.mp/1fOSehk

Back: http://j.mp/1fOSj4n

Apples and oranges.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
dougjgreen1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,200Gear list
Like?
I use mirrorless IN SPITE of the EVF, not because of it

An optical viewfinder is still faster than any EVF.   Whether it's worth the sacrifice in the size of the system is of course, a personal choice,  But all things being equal (which, of course, they are not)  I would certainly prefer a good zero latency optical finder.

Laszlo13 wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

dv312 wrote:

Cheers

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads