Pentax interview pretty clear about FF inevitability....

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
sgtsween
Regular MemberPosts: 362Gear list
Like?
Pentax interview pretty clear about FF inevitability....
6 months ago

From another forum:

"Research and development into full-frame is still ongoing. We cannot talk about it yet."

Works for me.

sgtsween's gear list:sgtsween's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Pentax MX-1 Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 Pentax Q +13 more
Uluru
Contributing MemberPosts: 749
Like?
Those are just words
In reply to sgtsween, 6 months ago

sgtsween wrote:

From another forum:

"Research and development into full-frame is still ongoing. We cannot talk about it yet."

Works for me.

Better say, "words for me", not "works for me".

RI representatives also said in that latest interview, "One compact can have the Ricoh name and the other the Pentax name."

Remember, just a few weeks ago, the RIAC spokesperson said, "As you will note, the WG-4 and WG-20 series are the first [compact cameras] to bear the Ricoh name. As such, I wanted to take this opportunity to reiterate our commitment to the historical PENTAX brand. The PENTAX name will continue to appear on all of our interchangeable lens cameras, lenses and sport optics, while the Ricoh name will be reserved for our compact cameras."

Words for me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
il_alexk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,946Gear list
Like?
So what?

sgtsween wrote:

From another forum:

Works for me.

They said the same thing a year ago... So what? Let's wait and see when this thing really happens.

-- hide signature --
 il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +7 more
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,636Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax interview pretty clear about FF inevitability....

sgtsween wrote:

From another forum:

Works for me.

Those words say "LATER" to me.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Les Lammers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,198Gear list
Like?
In reply to Roland Karlsson, 6 months ago

Like spring 2064.

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,499Gear list
Like?
A goal without a date is just a dream...

They're still doing R&D... they are still ready to talk to 3rd party lens makers...

Last year this was good news. But hearing the same thing this year is disappointing.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
waxwaine
Contributing MemberPosts: 951Gear list
Like?

From another forum:

Works for me.

An idea comes to me.
- Dpr people are waiting for Pentax FF to "put together"( as they said) and launch the K-3 Review.

falconeyes
Contributing MemberPosts: 809
Like?

sgtsween wrote:

From another forum:

Works for me.

It works for those Pentaxians whi already jumped to Nikon FF, and for those who will never need better IQ.

The sad truth is ... that it means it works for everybody

-- hide signature --

Falk Lumo

Peteo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,568Gear list
Like?

sgtsween wrote:

From another forum:

Works for me.

Would be nice to see it happen to satisfy both their customer base as well as provide some needed marketing punch.  I'd consider it depending on the price but I really think an upgrade to the K3 would be more than enough camera for my needs.

Scott

Peteo's gear list:Peteo's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +8 more
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,153Gear list
Like?
FF is a tough nut

FF market is already very crowded, and yet, still in single % digits of the overall camera market. See what is all available there, new and second-hand:

— Nikon

D3, D3s, D3x
D4, soon D4s
D800/800e
D600/610

— Canon

1D4, 1DX
5D, 5DII, 5DIII
6D

— Sony

A800, A850, A99,
A7/A7r
RX1

— Leica

M9, M9P, M-240, M-E

That is some 25 cameras! Perhaps I have omitted some.

If you wanted to introduce something new and interesting, how would you act? To do something worthwhile in such a crowded, yet very small market, one needs to make something really interesting in terms of a camera, and also in terms of lenses.

And still be perfectly aware that sales won’t excite at all in a single digit market.

Whatever Pentax does, won’t change anything. Because even D600/6D did not change anything.

A turning point in the camera market will the moment when both Nikon and Canon start implementing FF sensors in their consumer grade cameras, like D5xxxx series, the next 80D or something similar, and keep the prices same or similar

Or, when (and if) they completely erase those lower end lines in favour of D610 and 6D camera lines but keep the prices same or very similar.

But are we there yet? And are the customers ready for another round of purchases?

-- hide signature --

Madamina, il catalogo è questo; Delle belle che amò il padron mio; un catalogo egli è che ho fatt'io; Osservate, leggete con me.

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Cigarguy
Regular MemberPosts: 184
Like?
Re: FF is a tough nut
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, 6 months ago

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

If you wanted to introduce something new and interesting, how would you act? To do something worthwhile in such a crowded, yet very small market, one needs to make something really interesting in terms of a camera, and also in terms of lenses.

And still be perfectly aware that sales won’t excite at all in a single digit market.

Whatever Pentax does, won’t change anything. Because even D600/6D did not change anything.

A turning point in the camera market will the moment when both Nikon and Canon start implementing FF sensors in their consumer grade cameras, like D5xxxx series, the next 80D or something similar, and keep the prices same or similar

Or, when (and if) they completely erase those lower end lines in favour of D610 and 6D camera lines but keep the prices same or very similar.

But are we there yet? And are the customers ready for another round of purchases?

Yep I agree.  It will always stay small and in the single digits so long as the price of getting into the club is high.

MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,540
Like?

sgtsween wrote:

From another forum:

Works for me.

Much of that research is marketability and cost analysis, its not that they don't have the ability to make a FF camera, they do, its that they need to make one that will sell, will drive customers to their camp and will be profitable enough to be worthwhile. Most possibilities for FF have been demonstrated so now they have to make a "me too" camera the stands apart from the crown but in a good way, otherwise whats the point. Its not about what the small minority of current customers want its about what will bring more customers in, because in the end that means more profit and that is all that matters.

So when wishing for a FF ask for one that will grab impressive market attention and bring new customers in, not just a FF that only suits your needs. Its the only way we'll see a FF sooner than later.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

GossCTP
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,058
Like?
I thought it was a time warp

sgtsween wrote:

From another forum:

Works for me.

I thought I had stumbled upon a 5 year old thread that had been bumped when I read that. The more things change the more they stay the same.

-- hide signature --

Through the window in the wall
Come streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning

Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,699Gear list
Like?

sgtsween wrote:

From another forum:

Works for me.

645D 2014 comes first is how I read them.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
justin23
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,199Gear list
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, 6 months ago

MightyMike wrote:

sgtsween wrote:

From another forum:

Works for me.

Much of that research is marketability and cost analysis, its not that they don't have the ability to make a FF camera, they do, its that they need to make one that will sell, will drive customers to their camp and will be profitable enough to be worthwhile. Most possibilities for FF have been demonstrated so now they have to make a "me too" camera the stands apart from the crown but in a good way, otherwise whats the point. Its not about what the small minority of current customers want its about what will bring more customers in, because in the end that means more profit and that is all that matters.

So when wishing for a FF ask for one that will grab impressive market attention and bring new customers in, not just a FF that only suits your needs. Its the only way we'll see a FF sooner than later.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Completely agree and that has been my argument for a while. If a Pentax FF was no brainer going to make money they'd have made one. The fact is the biggest strength of all those existing lenses is also the biggest weakness as selling new lenses for said camera would not be easy especially if the existing lenses worked well.

The current lenses are a blessing and a curse in disguise. That is why I think if Pentax make a FF it will be a new mount with K mount adaptor. Although as many say adding a 4th mount is difficult, but if they bring out an APS-C with the same mount at the same time, it can be a transition to a new mount. Its a possibility but right now i think I'm more likely to spot a unicorn this year than a Pentax FF camera. Happy to be wrong though.

-- hide signature --

Justin
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/justinwatson

justin23's gear list:justin23's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +11 more
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,699Gear list
Like?
In reply to justin23, 6 months ago

justin23 wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

sgtsween wrote:

Completely agree and that has been my argument for a while. If a Pentax FF was no brainer going to make money they'd have made one. The fact is the biggest strength of all those existing lenses is also the biggest weakness as selling new lenses for said camera would not be easy especially if the existing lenses worked well.

The current lenses are a blessing and a curse in disguise. That is why I think if Pentax make a FF it will be a new mount with K mount adaptor. Although as many say adding a 4th mount is difficult, but if they bring out an APS-C with the same mount at the same time, it can be a transition to a new mount. Its a possibility but right now i think I'm more likely to spot a unicorn this year than a Pentax FF camera. Happy to be wrong though.

I don't think Ricoh will do another mount.  Ricoh did point out in the interview by the guy from India that they believe 90% of the market is aps/c.  If I were them and believe that number will hold up in the future I'd be very cautious about committing to more FF cameras.  A far better perspective from my POV is to bring down the price of the medium format market and get the jump on anyone else thinking of getting in on that market.

-- hide signature --

Justin
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/justinwatson

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,303
Like?
Re: A goal without a date is just a dream...
In reply to miles green, 6 months ago

miles green wrote:

...they are still ready to talk to 3rd party lens makers...

Why? Wouldn't Pentax want to make and sell their own lenses?

I know that at present Pentax has few full-frame lenses. That actually puts them ahead. When the *ist D came out, Pentax had no APS-C lenses. Pentax has several full-frame primes still in production. All they would need to get started would be a normal zoom (say 24-70/80) and a 70-300 zoom. I'll bet they've already designed those, and only need to start producing them.

Joe

fakuryu
Contributing MemberPosts: 971Gear list
Like?
Re: FF is a tough nut
In reply to Cigarguy, 6 months ago

Cigarguy wrote:

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

Yep I agree. It will always stay small and in the single digits so long as the price of getting into the club is high.

I agree to this and knowing Pentax, how would they target this? A FF K3? If they do so, it does not leave much room up and down there and making that effectively as good as a D4? How about the pricing? It simply cant be higher than a D800? Or what would they do to about D610 sales? If they did what would that do to the K3? IMHO the 6D and the D610 is what happened to the D400 and 7DII.

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,153Gear list
Like?
Re: A goal without a date is just a dream...
In reply to Joseph Tainter, 6 months ago

Joseph Tainter wrote:

miles green wrote:

...they are still ready to talk to 3rd party lens makers...

Why? Wouldn't Pentax want to make and sell their own lenses?

I know that at present Pentax has few full-frame lenses. That actually puts them ahead. When the *ist D came out, Pentax had no APS-C lenses. Pentax has several full-frame primes still in production. All they would need to get started would be a normal zoom (say 24-70/80) and a 70-300 zoom. I'll bet they've already designed those, and only need to start producing them.

Joe

Joe, who is going to buy all that produced stuff in sufficient quantities? Current digital photography market is far from 2005's market's position, when even a slim offer was good enough to succeed.

Those times are forever gone, I'm afraid, and the current market is over-saturated with choice.

-- hide signature --

Madamina, il catalogo è questo; Delle belle che amò il padron mio; un catalogo egli è che ho fatt'io; Osservate, leggete con me.

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
fakuryu
Contributing MemberPosts: 971Gear list
Like?
In reply to justin23, 6 months ago

justin23 wrote:

The current lenses are a blessing and a curse in disguise. That is why I think if Pentax make a FF it will be a new mount with K mount adaptor.

No need for a new mount, the current K mount is already FF anyway unless they make a mirrorless FF which is IMHO company suicide at this point.

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads