I own an E-M1 and an X-T1. I'll probably sell the E-M1, but it's not a clear choice.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Miron09
Regular MemberPosts: 261Gear list
Like?
I prefer to stay with one system for multiple years
In reply to The Photo Ninja, 10 months ago

better knowledge IMHO compensates many technical weaknesses, esp when they seem to be so slight as in this case.

Lenses are important, and I think I´m well served by the MFT offering

https://picasaweb.google.com/110955796927925538104/February2014?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Miron09's gear list:Miron09's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Oleg Vinokurov
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?
Re: why do you own a DSLR or mirrorless camera
In reply to Lumixdude, 10 months ago

Lumixdude wrote:

That makes absolutely no sense what so ever... You buy a DSLR or CSC for better image quality then limit yourself to shooting JPEGs when there is no real world difference between these two cameras when you're shooting in RAW.

You may as well buy a compact and shoot in ISO actually because you're never going to get the results you paid for.

JPG is not the limit, but how you use camera and setup jpg engine. There is barely any difference if you expose correctly with right WB. Even paid work can be done by jpg's only, especially if you're in total control of light.

p.s.

I do shoot raw myself, simply because it's mostly landscapes and i like to process final photo to fit my image. At least when i can actually go out :/

Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
In reply to Oleg Vinokurov, 10 months ago

I'm just used to the crappy JPEG engines most cameras I've owned have had and how much better RAW can be.

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,635Gear list
Like?
Re: Here's 2
In reply to Oleg Vinokurov, 10 months ago

Oleg Vinokurov wrote:

Somehow feels like noise reduction is too strong here, looks like plastic skin. Noise would be more pleasant than plastic skin look.

That's the usual complaint against the Fujifilm images - very strong noise reduction.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Lumixdude
Like?
In reply to Ulric, 10 months ago

The counter claim generally is "people don't understand how X-Trans is supposed to work."

Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
Tizzio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,973
Like?
Re: I own an E-M1 and an X-T1. I'll probably sell the E-M1, but it's not a clear choice.
In reply to Jim Salvas, 10 months ago

Jim Salvas wrote:

Tizzio wrote:

Jim Salvas wrote:

Photokina 2014 opens on September 21 and with it will come cameras which will beat the X-T1 on all points. Enjoy your seven months of camera bliss.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

No one ask you to chip in your comments like that Jim.... No matter what, enjoy whatever camera bliss you have!

You're right, of course.

On the other hand, the OP has had a bit of drama going on for days on both this forum and the Fuji X forum when it was obvious he was going to buy this camera and ditch his E-M1 after less than a half year of use.

However, I overreacted. I apologize. Enjoy the camera. Take some photos.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

No problem Jim, may be I've over reacted as well, cause I haven't followed his threads all along.

Happy shooting and have fun.... Cheers

Derek Dean
Contributing MemberPosts: 722Gear list
Like?
Re: I own an E-M1 and an X-T1. I'll probably sell the E-M1, but it's not a clear choice.

Photo Ninja, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

You are fortunate to have the opportunity to own both cameras and choose the one you like best, not something many of the rest of us can afford to do.

Only you can determine which balance of features, ergonomics, and IQ are suitable for your needs, and it sounds like you've found that right blend in the X-T1.  Enjoy!

Derek Dean's gear list:Derek Dean's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,064Gear list
Like?

Lumixdude wrote:

The counter claim generally is "people don't understand how X-Trans is supposed to work."

This counter-claim is irrelevant as well as untenable. First, if the IQ of X-trans is poor due to excessive NR, it does not help if you understand how X-trans is supposed to work. Second, some of us understand very well how X-trans is supposed to work but find that it does not work as well as it is supposed to.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Lumixdude
Like?
In reply to Anders W, 10 months ago

Yes, well... If I wanted a HDR composite image I'd do it myself... which is what I pretty much think of X-Trans.

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,083Gear list
Like?
In reply to lighthunter80, 10 months ago

lighthunter80 wrote:

I shoot raw only - no exception. However, there is nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with shooting jpeg regardless of the camera you use. All advantages of a good camera remain the same except some choose convenience (jpeg) over the extra bit of IQ (raw). Cannot see why a jpeg person should not use/enjoy the same camera like a quality extremist?

I was thinking the same way for a while and was a staunch JPG shooter. As you I thought that converting RAW ia a big time consuming hustle. Also I want to make a point that OOC JPGs never satisfied me, and I had to spend time editing and improving my JPGs working with contrasts, levels, sharpness etc.

When first time I tried RAW, I was very anxious that I'll spend my life doing one file. Reality is: RAW saves me lots of time in compare with editing JPG. RAW not only improves IQ, RAW also is a time saver, and for situations when shot went bad, RAW is the straw that saves the shot.

I'm sure that curiosity not only kills some cats,  but also eventually ask you to shoot RAW.

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
radsaq
Contributing MemberPosts: 702Gear list
Like?
Re: I prefer to stay with one system for multiple years
In reply to Miron09, 10 months ago

Miron09 wrote:

better knowledge IMHO compensates many technical weaknesses, esp when they seem to be so slight as in this case.

Lenses are important, and I think I´m well served by the MFT offering

Indeed, I am somewhat surprised by the number of photographers who apparently have the attention span of a cat when it comes to equipment (nothing against cats or photographers, I have two). But bravo, I guess. More Fuji users can only serve to help spur Olympus to up their game in the future. 

radsaq's gear list:radsaq's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
FPF
FPF
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?

Except the Fuji 14 and 27, the lenses in this system are huge.

Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,638
Like?

The Photo Ninja wrote:

I blogged about it here: http://www.bershatsky.com/blog/2014/2/x-t1

Bottom line?

E-M1: Faster focusing and more responsive

X-T1: Nicer optics and images

I like the looks of the X-T1 images so much, that I'll deal with the slower speed and handling.

Another thing that occurs to me, is that all of the pictures were shot in very low light at an average of ISO 6400. Perhaps that is why my focusing experience was less than optimal.

It doesn't matter really. Both are excellent cameras with the potential to make top notch photos. Pick whichever one you like most, accept its advantages and its warts, and sell the other if you don't want to afford keeping and using both. Exploit the advantages—work around the warts.

I have a complete Sony E-M1 kit with Olympus and Panasonic-Leica lenses that works beautifully. And I have a complete Sony A7 kit with Leica R and Nikkor SLR lenses that works beautifully. For me, the format differences are enough to enjoy keeping and using both.

I've had little interest in the Fuji X series cameras because of the sensor and the cameras' ergonomics. They just don't work in my hands as nicely as the E-M1 does. The A7 is a little clunky compared to the E-M1 too, but now that I have it configured for my needs it works very nicely. So far, I've not been able to configure a Fuji X camera such that I really liked using it, and I still don't see much advantage to the sensor when it comes to processing raw files.

But as I said, it doesn't matter really. Just pick what youlike and work with it. That's the important thing.

-- hide signature --
PSCL1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,305Gear list
Like?
In reply to Godfrey, 10 months ago

To the OP:  Buy a PEN or Panasonic GX-7 or GM-1 body to use with your m43 lens(es), rather than dump the EM-1, which you could not have owned for very long at all.  Except for the one currently cheap pancake, the limited line of Fuji lenses are either out of control expensive and/or stick out from the bodies just as much as any APS-C DSLR.

As many other posters have said, we cannot weigh the pros and cons for you.  You are going to do what you want to do.

PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +27 more
tonybelding
Regular MemberPosts: 190Gear list
Like?

I'm just amazed that we've come to a point with the technology where someone can look at the image output from an E-M1 and find it deficient in some way.

tonybelding's gear list:tonybelding's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,737
Like?
It's more the 17mm f/1.8 lens I don't like.
In reply to tonybelding, 10 months ago

The panasonic 25mm f/1.4 is great, but not my favorite focal length.

aodi
Contributing MemberPosts: 741
Like?
In reply to Godfrey, 10 months ago

Godfrey wrote:

The Photo Ninja wrote:

I blogged about it here: http://www.bershatsky.com/blog/2014/2/x-t1

Bottom line?

E-M1: Faster focusing and more responsive

X-T1: Nicer optics and images

I like the looks of the X-T1 images so much, that I'll deal with the slower speed and handling.

Another thing that occurs to me, is that all of the pictures were shot in very low light at an average of ISO 6400. Perhaps that is why my focusing experience was less than optimal.

It doesn't matter really. Both are excellent cameras with the potential to make top notch photos. Pick whichever one you like most, accept its advantages and its warts, and sell the other if you don't want to afford keeping and using both. Exploit the advantages—work around the warts.

I have a complete Sony E-M1 kit with Olympus and Panasonic-Leica lenses that works beautifully. And I have a complete Sony A7 kit with Leica R and Nikkor SLR lenses that works beautifully. For me, the format differences are enough to enjoy keeping and using both.

I've had little interest in the Fuji X series cameras because of the sensor and the cameras' ergonomics. They just don't work in my hands as nicely as the E-M1 does. The A7 is a little clunky compared to the E-M1 too, but now that I have it configured for my needs it works very nicely. So far, I've not been able to configure a Fuji X camera such that I really liked using it, and I still don't see much advantage to the sensor when it comes to processing raw files.

But as I said, it doesn't matter really. Just pick what youlike and work with it. That's the important thing.

Very well said!

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Anatoli

Anders W
Like?

Lumixdude wrote:

Yes, well... If I wanted a HDR composite image I'd do it myself... which is what I pretty much think of X-Trans.

What does HDR composite images have to do with this? You have the poor quality due to the demosaicing problems (excessive NR) of X-trans sensors regardless of whether it is single shots or stacked images we are talking about.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Lumixdude
Like?
In reply to Anders W, 10 months ago

Pixel binning and whatever else it's basically the equivalent of what happens when you stack images to produce a better result, except you'd probably get a better result with image stacking... the denoising, that is another issue on itself.... which is excessive and you can't really get around it either which leads to "plastic skin" and "water colours."

Anders W
Like?

Lumixdude wrote:

Pixel binning and whatever else it's basically the equivalent of what happens when you stack images to produce a better result,

No, they are not equivalent. Pixel binning trades resolution for reduced noise. Stacking does not.

except you'd probably get a better result with image stacking...

That's for sure.

the denoising, that is another issue on itself....

As already pointed out, pixel binning is a form of "denoising" (applying NR to a shot).

which is excessive and you can't really get around it either which leads to "plastic skin" and "water colours."

Yes, that's the problem with X-trans.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads