I own an E-M1 and an X-T1. I'll probably sell the E-M1, but it's not a clear choice.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,737
Like?
I own an E-M1 and an X-T1. I'll probably sell the E-M1, but it's not a clear choice.
10 months ago

I blogged about it here: http://www.bershatsky.com/blog/2014/2/x-t1

Bottom line?

E-M1: Faster focusing and more responsive

X-T1: Nicer optics and images

I like the looks of the X-T1 images so much, that I'll deal with the slower speed and handling.

Another thing that occurs to me, is that all of the pictures were shot in very low light at an average of ISO 6400. Perhaps that is why my focusing experience was less than optimal.

Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,075Gear list
Like?
God blessed you n/t
In reply to The Photo Ninja, 10 months ago
-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
The Photo Ninja
Like?
Re: God blessed you n/t
In reply to s_grins, 10 months ago

My little girls?  Yes, we are very lucky.  They're healthy, happy, and dear to our hearts.

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,075Gear list
Like?
Re: God blessed you n/t

The Photo Ninja wrote:

My little girls? Yes, we are very lucky. They're healthy, happy, and dear to our hearts.

With the camera to take photos of your little girls

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Willing
Contributing MemberPosts: 647Gear list
Like?
Re: I own an E-M1 and an X-T1. I'll probably sell the E-M1, but it's not a clear choice.

again, your high iso images look very clean but my only concern is images look too smooth, no noise, no grain more like painting to me. I don't mind a little noise or grain in my photo. What do you think? Do you like them. Do u have a full size image that I can take a look? something that you've shot at 6400. Thanks!

Willing's gear list:Willing's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +6 more
Jim Salvas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,085Gear list
Like?
Re: I own an E-M1 and an X-T1. I'll probably sell the E-M1, but it's not a clear choice.

Photokina 2014 opens on September 21 and with it will come cameras which will beat the X-T1 on all points. Enjoy your seven months of camera bliss.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
The Photo Ninja
Like?
Here's 2
In reply to Willing, 10 months ago

Bluephotons
Senior MemberPosts: 2,755Gear list
Like?
Enjoy your camera!
In reply to Jim Salvas, 10 months ago

What is wrong around here, is Saturday, why are people so bitter?

-- hide signature --

Bluephotons
Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now. Bob Dylan

Bluephotons's gear list:Bluephotons's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
The Photo Ninja
Like?
No doubt... I thought this was a gear forum...
In reply to Bluephotons, 10 months ago

I'm not the only M43 user interested in this camera...that's why I posted it.

Willing
Like?
Re: Here's 2

your previous small size photos do look very clean to me but after looking at the full size and I can say the noise is there (look a little noisy to me for a Fuji sensor) which I think it is not that much better than my GM1 sensor, maybe 1/2 stop better that's all. Here are some proofs. JPEG SOOC at 6400.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +6 more
The Photo Ninja
Like?
Those are indeed very clean. Noise aside, I like the skin tones very much.

I've read about Fuji cameras since I bought a D200 years ago and Fuji has a body out (the S5) i think it was, and photographers were raving about the skin tones of Fuji back then.

Comparing the X-T1 to my Canon 5D Mark III.  The Fuji jpegs look nicer based upon today's outing.  However, for serious work, I'll grab my 5D3 in a heartbeat and shoot RAW.

Willing
Like?
Re: Those are indeed very clean. Noise aside, I like the skin tones very much.

Be honest with you that I was tempted to try out the X-T1 myself. I wanted to try is because I like the body design and the lenses but not really for the IQ alone. If you really like the X-T1 files better than E-M1 files then I'd say go for the Fuji. Again, depends on what do you do with the final images is the most important factor. To some, they like to print it out big and hang it on the wall, some want to take family pics at the party or travel and make a few 4x6 prints. Some use it for job and get paid. there are many more other reasons. To be honest, the things I mentioned above both Fuji or Olympus are capable of. I was asking myself if I had bought the new X-T1 with a couple lenses and the camera feels great and the lenses are awesome but my pics may look the same as before cause my skill is the same not really the new camera gives me a better pics, is the person behind the camera. After all these thoughts, I told myself forget the new toys (maybe G.A.S.) Plus the m4/3 is a great system which has very good balance of size and image quality.

Tizzio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,973
Like?
In reply to Jim Salvas, 10 months ago

Jim Salvas wrote:

Photokina 2014 opens on September 21 and with it will come cameras which will beat the X-T1 on all points. Enjoy your seven months of camera bliss.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

No one ask you to chip in your comments like that Jim.... No matter what, enjoy whatever camera bliss you have!

Jim Salvas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,085Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tizzio, 10 months ago

Tizzio wrote:

Jim Salvas wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

No one ask you to chip in your comments like that Jim.... No matter what, enjoy whatever camera bliss you have!

You're right, of course.

On the other hand, the OP has had a bit of drama going on for days on both this forum and the Fuji X forum when it was obvious he was going to buy this camera and ditch his E-M1 after less than a half year of use.

However, I overreacted. I apologize. Enjoy the camera. Take some photos.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
why do you own a DSLR or mirrorless camera

why do you own a DSLR or mirrorless camera if you only want to shoot JPEG?

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
eques
Senior MemberPosts: 1,854Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the comparison. This helps me a lot for further decisions.

Peter.

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Oleg Vinokurov
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?

Somehow feels like noise reduction is too strong here, looks like plastic skin. Noise would be more pleasant than plastic skin look.

ChrisJBSC
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
Re: why do you own a DSLR or mirrorless camera
In reply to Lumixdude, 10 months ago

If you only want to shoot raw, why have DSLR? There are plenty of other cameras that do raw as well as DSLRs...

There are MANY advantages to a DSLR or CSC over a P&S non-interchangeable lens cameras. Speed of operation, feel in the hand, better lenses, more capabilities .... And when the output is going to be JPEG anyway, why waste time with the extra conversion??

ChrisJBSC's gear list:ChrisJBSC's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10
Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
In reply to ChrisJBSC, 10 months ago

That makes absolutely no sense what so ever... You buy a DSLR or CSC for better image quality then limit yourself to shooting JPEGs when there is no real world difference between these two cameras when you're shooting in RAW.

You may as well buy a compact and shoot in ISO actually because you're never going to get the results you paid for.

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
lighthunter80
Regular MemberPosts: 355Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lumixdude, 10 months ago

Lumixdude wrote:

That makes absolutely no sense what so ever... You buy a DSLR or CSC for better image quality then limit yourself to shooting JPEGs when there is no real world difference between these two cameras when you're shooting in RAW.

You may as well buy a compact and shoot in ISO actually because you're never going to get the results you paid for.

I shoot raw only - no exception. However, there is nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with shooting jpeg regardless of the camera you use. All advantages of a good camera remain the same except some choose convenience (jpeg) over the extra bit of IQ (raw). Cannot see why a jpeg person should not use/enjoy the same camera like a quality extremist?

lighthunter80's gear list:lighthunter80's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Olympus PEN E-P5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads