Got an X-T1 and 23mm f/1.4 today. My first Fuji. I'm impressed and disappointed at the same time.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,657
Like?
It seems better...I'll be doing more testing today
In reply to Jake21, 7 months ago

More to come...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
The Photo Ninja
Like?
I don't have the kit lens... I bought the body only and the 23mm.
In reply to Ulfric M Douglas, 7 months ago

Regarding trolls...I always forget that the second you post anything, there will be negative comments.  Such is the way of the internet.

I'd like to think of these forums as a way to share information, get input, advice, tips, etc. than what they so frequently devolve into.

Still, there are some really cool people on here that are like minded and I do learn quite a few things.

The Photo Ninja
Like?
Why would I want the birthday girl underexposed?
In reply to wyldberi, 7 months ago

Mood?  It was a birthday and people want to see their pictures on Facebook.

People didn't want to see a dimly lit room and their faces in shadows.  Good grief!

jamesfrmphilly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,589Gear list
Like?
"OSHUN"
In reply to fotophool, 7 months ago

jamesfrmphilly's gear list:jamesfrmphilly's gear list
RX100 III
John Motts
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,997
Like?
Re: Got an X-T1 and 23mm f/1.4 today.
In reply to The Photo Ninja, 7 months ago

I haven't got mine yet, but a contemporary has just shot a wedding with his instead of his Nikon D3S.

He's very much a machine gunner at weddings (the opposite of me) and he's absolutely raving about the Fuji - he claims not to miss his D3S at all!

In other words, don't dismiss the speed of the X-T1 until you've had plenty of time with it.

Lisa O
Senior MemberPosts: 2,117Gear list
Like?
Re: It seems better...I'll be doing more testing today

Shooting a mirrorless camera is different than a DSLR, it takes some getting used to and sometimes you have to tweak the settings to have it work best for you. I just got the X-T1 too and even though I have had other Fuji cameras it takes me a little while to set it to my preferred settings.

I bought the X-Pro 1 when it was first released and boy was that a frustrating experience at first but Fujifilm is really good at improving cameras with firmware updates and continues to release updates for cameras several years old even adding new features to these older cameras. Kudos to Fujifilm for that and other camera manufacturers should follow in their footsteps there.

-- hide signature --

see about me in my profile for more info
http://500px.com/LisaOsta
http://www.flickr.com/photos/losta

Lisa O's gear list:Lisa O's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 +32 more
eye specs
Regular MemberPosts: 137
Like?
Re: Why would I want the birthday girl underexposed?

I think we all know that when a photo is posted that there are two possible paradigms for a comment: either regarding it as an invitation for constructive criticism, or as an invitation to enjoy the moment with the photographer. Perhaps the conflict arises when the commentator offers one type of commentary, when the other was hoped for by the photographer. Simple as that? No. I find I make a judgement on which is hoped for based on the extent of artistic cues in the shot. Perhaps this is made even harder when the photographer is not accuratley aware of the type of comments saught. From these candid shots I personally received a lot of pleasure. I myself did not sense an invitation to be analytic. Rather an invitation to share in a very memorable and positive experience. I was able to do that becuase the crucial 'moment' or 'idea' was very well captured - everyone just seemed to be enlarged by the presence of each and every other person in the room. A sense of pleasure and harmony was communicated to me. It actually made me think: 'when I am with family and friends I want our experience to be as positive and healthy as these people'. So for me, the photographer was very successful. Had I felt invited to be analytic there is always the possibility of a quibble or even a strongly felt artistic divergence of view. Thanks for sharing eyespecs.

cheddargav
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,490Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm impressed and disappointed at the same time.
In reply to wyldberi, 7 months ago

What I can't figure out is the need to shoot at ISO 6400.

By setting the aperture wide open at that ISO you've destroyed whatever ambiance the setting may have provided. Instead of being a low-light image with character, you've turned this picture into something that was seemingly taken on a bright, but overcast afternoon on the patio at 2:15 pm.

I'm all for art, I shoot weddings and love exposing for the highlights in portraits, but for a photo like this, I'd say you're wrong, it's a nice simple birthday shot.
A photo like this doesn't require any critique really does it? It's not a photo that says "check me, I'm a top portrait photographer. It's a photo that serves a nice purpose
--
www.twitter.com/gavphotography

cheddargav's gear list:cheddargav's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
Dimitriy
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Re: Got an X-T1 and 23mm f/1.4 today. My first Fuji.

Yes, lots of insults from people who have neither x-t1 or 23mm. I bought x-a1 kit and 27mm. In low light I had very high percentage of missed focus with the kit lens set at 27mm while my 27mm was right on focus each and every time, even when shooting with the same aperture of 4.5. So, thinking I had a faulty kit lens exchanged the whole kit, the same thing with the new one. So, yes, it could be specific to this lens in low light.

hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,193
Like?
In reply to Davidgilmour, 7 months ago

Davidgilmour wrote:

The Photo Ninja wrote:

The autofocus speed is sub par.

That is Fujis definition of "the worlds fastest"

It will get better after the next 10 firmware updates.

DVT80111
Senior MemberPosts: 1,342Gear list
Like?
Re: Lights on? How would you know?

1/125 sec

DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 70D
Phil1
Contributing MemberPosts: 742
Like?
Re: Reply/question to/for Spaceshipps
In reply to Spaceshipps, 7 months ago

Thanks very much! Zero shutter lag and no EVF blackout is really great news .

I imagine it's not possible to have the best of both worlds with image review on the LCD screen for a short while (or at least until the shutter is pressed again) whilst still having no EVF blackout? That really would be the icing on the cake!

I've not seen this mentioned anywhere else (which shows I don't read every post!) but having image review on screen and (naturally) a clear VF is quite an advantage (for me at least) on a DSLR. But it is no deal breaker for me.

I was very glad to have your comments, so many thanks again.

Phil

Terry Breedlove
Regular MemberPosts: 246
Like?
Never mind the fan boys

That would be the ideal situation but the minute you have any question about a product the imature fan boys come out to defend their somehow bruised egos. Pay no attention to the little boys.

b0k3h
Regular MemberPosts: 204
Like?
Re: James, you're insulting, but do you have any idea what you are talking about?

The Photo Ninja wrote:

James, you're insulting, but do you have any idea what you are talking about?

I dont think he (James) does.  Atleast, he didnt bother to read the post

Donny out of Element here
Contributing MemberPosts: 693Gear list
Like?
Re: welcome to real world

The Photo Ninja wrote:

I blogged about it here with samples: http://www.bershatsky.com/blog/2014/2/x-t1

Bottom line. Camera controls and layout are fine. The images are superb. The autofocus speed is sub par. Is it the lens itself? How are the other Fuji lenses. Or, is this just the way it is?

Welcome to Fuji hype and to reality.

Think for yourself logically: Roughly same old sensor, same chip, improved AF algorithm - so just software improvements basically. Now take a look at Sony A6000: new chip with OSPDAF 92%! sensor coverage (basically all frame), new chip (quad-core!), and new AF algorithm - now that is what really makes AF fastest in the world 0.06sec (CIPA).

Take a look at not biased opinion of person who also checked X-T1 in store and was disappointed in AF: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53181304

Forget about fast AF hype of Fuji, leave that to more capable (in terms of AF) cameras like A6000 and just enjoy good X-T1 camera.

Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,275Gear list
Like?
In reply to Davidgilmour, 7 months ago

Davidgilmour wrote:

The Photo Ninja wrote:

The autofocus speed is sub par.

That is Fujis definition of "the worlds fastest"

David, I find it interesting that you took this out of context.  I followed another thread you started, you disappeared but provoked many.  I find this quite interesting.

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 12,809Gear list
Like?
Re: A classic example..
In reply to NeilJones, 7 months ago

NeilJones wrote:

Of someone who has no clue what they are doing with a camera.

Sorry. Someone had to say it!

Is this your latest thing....going to various threads insulting people.

Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
Reality Check
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: yes - welcome to real world
In reply to Donny out of Element here, 7 months ago

Real-world translation of that specsheet analysis based on a yet-to-be-available Sony body.

The A6000 has a new sensor - that makes it better..

(it has basically the the same 24mp sensor used in ~six other models/brands, just like other manufacturers do, but more mp makes your epeen harder and that is always better for photography)

The A6000 claims a .02s faster AF system - its better..

(just like other brands that performance is only seen with one specific lens, but hey its another epeen-spec so that doesn't matter)

The A6000 has broader AF point coverage - its better..

(only necessary because you cannot readily use/rely on the low-res low-refresh EVF to set/follow/track the subject yourself)

..but hey we will give you this one because we understand no one in your world buys a camera based on things like ergonomics, functionality, image quality, build quality, system integration, and manufacturer support. We understand your research extends no further than finding that first review raving about something you like, ignoring anything else to the contrary.

There are at least three reviews online for the X-T1 that clearly demonstrate its impressive functionality. A link would be quicker we know, but it might be a learning experience in temperament to find them yourself (a hint as to their content; wedding, equestrian, tourism). You 'can' look them up if you wish to broaden your perspective - but you 'should' look them up before making the assertion this or that is the best - especially when most of your assessment is based on advertising specs and hype.

Reality Check
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: My first Fuji. I'm impressed and disappointed at the same time.

Just as it is with any other brand or model, yes you will experience different levels of AF performance with different lenses. One really need not worry about it, it is the nature of the industry and technology. To give it some perspective, there is/was a difference in focusing performance even with manual focus lenses and all one need do with those is turn a ring... If you consider all the variables involved with moving the elements and mechanics inside it is a given that there will be better-worse performance from different lenses.

All else being equal, you can check other things within the scope of the camera itself (focus settings, firmware, etc) as mentioned by others. Understand as well that the fastest AF performance of any camera, regardless of the style of camera, will be single point - not letting the camera guess what you might want to focus on somewhere across the sensor. You may also want to check out another lens, perhaps there is something wrong or needing adjustment with the one you have. There are several reviews online that have demonstrated impressively quick AF and tracking performance, so unless those people received the cream of the production crop the performance should be there.

What may be helpful to the forum, in its response, is what type of AF performance were you expecting...?

gotompoes
Regular MemberPosts: 419Gear list
Like?
Re: My first Fuji. I'm impressed and disappointed at the same time.
In reply to Reality Check, 7 months ago

Reality Check wrote:

Just as it is with any other brand or model, yes you will experience different levels of AF performance with different lenses. One really need not worry about it, it is the nature of the industry and technology. To give it some perspective, there is/was a difference in focusing performance even with manual focus lenses and all one need do with those is turn a ring... If you consider all the variables involved with moving the elements and mechanics inside it is a given that there will be better-worse performance from different lenses.

All else being equal, you can check other things within the scope of the camera itself (focus settings, firmware, etc) as mentioned by others. Understand as well that the fastest AF performance of any camera, regardless of the style of camera, will be single point - not letting the camera guess what you might want to focus on somewhere across the sensor. You may also want to check out another lens, perhaps there is something wrong or needing adjustment with the one you have. There are several reviews online that have demonstrated impressively quick AF and tracking performance, so unless those people received the cream of the production crop the performance should be there.

What may be helpful to the forum, in its response, is what type of AF performance were you expecting...?

Closer to micro four third, here my observations on this:

I just compared the AF speed of the X T1 with the Olympus E P5. It is difficult to measure in absolute terms but subjectively i come to the following observations:
- E P 5: 0,2 seconds (with 17mm 1.8 at 5.6 - center point)
- X T1: 0,8 seconds (with 23 mm 1.4 at 5.6 - center point)
This relates to the time from pressing the shutter button and the actual shot.
Fuji has still a long way to go in the AF department but the files look much nicer and smoother compared to m 4/3. My take is that it comes close to FF. The 23 and 14 are fantastic but don't get too excited as the Sony RX 1 and the Leica Super Elmar 21 doing better in the IQ department.
I slowly divesting my m 4/3 system but keep 2 primes lenses for situations where high AF speed is required in combination with a tilt screen.

To be honest i had hope that Fuji was catching up in the AF department but did not expect it.
Wait for the next generation if AF is your top priority.

gotompoes's gear list:gotompoes's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus PEN E-P5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads