Got an X-T1 and 23mm f/1.4 today. My first Fuji. I'm impressed and disappointed at the same time.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,654
Like?
And the insults fly...
In reply to NeilJones, 7 months ago

Here's some of my more professional stuff:

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aotearoaman
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
Its a relative thing I suspect
In reply to The Photo Ninja, 7 months ago

If you come at this from a MFT perspective the AT-1 AF is going to be perceived as slow - accurate but slow(er).  That was my impression after spending (admittedly only) an hour with the camera.  If, however, you are in the Fuji camp, then the reports I have read have all said the AT -1 is going to seem a much more positive experience in this respect.  I think our MFT experience has spoilt us...but it wont stop me buying the camera.

Aotearoaman's gear list:Aotearoaman's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +11 more
kewlguy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,536Gear list
Like?
Re: Got an X-T1 and 23mm f/1.4 today. My first Fuji.

You shot mostly in low light and 23/1.4 is probably not the fastest in term of AF. In my experience, 27/2.8 is faster than 23/1.4 when it comes to AF.

that said, I still use Canon DSLR with a bunch of L lenses - but I was hardly disappointed with X-E1 AF.  I mean, X-E1 is not fast - but not unusable. It gets the job done. Then I got the X-E2, it's actually fast and reliable.

I can't imagine X-T1 AF disappointing - I mean, give it a try for at least a week, and use other Fuji lenses, too.

But in the end, I'm sure the IQ will compensate for whatever disappointed you in the first place

kewlguy's gear list:kewlguy's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Nikon 1 J1 Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +15 more
The Photo Ninja
Like?
The image quality is awesome - no doubt about it.
In reply to kewlguy, 7 months ago

I actually even like the NR.  It smooths out the skin and makes people a little more flattering.

35mm f/1.4 on order and then I'm done.

Those are my most used focal lengths, and other stuff I have on Canon.

Davidgilmour
Senior MemberPosts: 1,179Gear list
Like?
Got an X-T1 and 23mm f/1.4 today. My first Fuji. I'm impressed and disappointed at the same time.

The Photo Ninja wrote:

The autofocus speed is sub par.

That is Fujis definition of "the worlds fastest"

Davidgilmour's gear list:Davidgilmour's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
ZTJ
ZTJ
Regular MemberPosts: 101Gear list
Like?
Re: Got an X-T1 and 23mm f/1.4 today. My first Fuji. I'm impressed and disappointed at

I had a similar impression of the 18-55mm lens on my first Fuji X camera. Then later I realized I was being stupid and using it wrong. The trick is, keep your focus area size slightly larger than the thing you're trying to focus on.

The 23mm f/1.4 is absolutely not slow to focus. I'm pretty sure the only faster lens is the 14mm f2.8 and they both use the same focus motor anyway.

It is noisy though, and if you are going to just focus without ever pushing the damn shutter button and actually exposing the shot, you might get the wrong idea that it's slow since it will rack to double check focus in many situations when it's already focused.

Just point that camera and mash the shutter and watch magic happen in 1/10th of a second

ZTJ's gear list:ZTJ's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,422Gear list
Like?
Re: Maybe it's because I was in very low light???
In reply to ryan2007, 7 months ago

That's a good point about shooting like it was film. I more or less came from an OM-10 to the X-E1 and the habits carried over, although I've given way to more automation in general.

This was also advantageous when interchanging between the X-E1, GW690 and an FM2 last year, the interfaces had enough in common to feel comfortable.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Marco1971
Regular MemberPosts: 202
Like?
Re: Got an X-T1 and 23mm f/1.4 today.

Why did you choose this combo ? I'm thinking of buying this set also.

Phil1
Contributing MemberPosts: 740
Like?
Reply/question to/for Eric
In reply to viking79, 7 months ago

Hi Eric

Thanks for your long and very useful post - much appreciated!

One thing you said was very interenting : "Turn off image review so you can get your viewfinder back instantly after taking a shot....". I am really interested to hear this as, on a X-E2 I tried, once the shot was taken there was a short but annoying delay (blackout) before the EVF showed the view again.

I was hoping that the X-T1 with its improvements would reduce this EVF blackout to negligible levels so your post was most encouraging. Although for a different reason (mirror flip) my 5Dii shows a momentary but totally inconsequential VF blackout after taking a shot.

So my question is just how quick is the EVF of the X-T1 to show the view again once the shutter has been pressed? Is it really as quick as a DSLR VF i.e. of no practical significance or, if not, how close does it come?

Thanks

Phil

Spaceshipps
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: Reply/question to/for Eric
In reply to Phil1, 7 months ago

I have noticed absolutely no post shot lag, I have image review off.

Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Another thing that occurs to me, is that all of these pictures were shot in very low light at an average of ISO 6400. Perhaps that is why my focusing experience was less than optimal.

Sure, lets just set the camera up to fail and then smack it down for failing.

The Photo Ninja
Like?
The 35mm equivalent focal length is my favorite
In reply to Marco1971, 7 months ago

Also, I typically use my mirrorless when I don't want to lug my full frame around:

1) a restaurant with family and friends
2) a birthday party
3) casual snaps

The 17mm f/1,8 olympus is similar, but not as nice optically.

SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,508Gear list
Like?
Re: Got an X-T1 and 23mm f/1.4 today.
In reply to Marco1971, 7 months ago

I do think this lens has some special mojo. It is going to be a "classic" for sure. It incorporates some pretty heavy glass elements so you can at times, when racking it's full travel in autofocus, feel it work. But quite frankly with focus times under a second it's hard to complain. I suspect it will get more use on my X-T1 than I might have thought. Typically for me, this focal length prime would tend to spend most of it's time in my bag and not on the camera. I tend to prefer a competent or faster zoom like a 18-55. But there is just "something" about the output of this lens that is enticing, so I think it may well find it's way on the body more often than not.

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Robert Garcia NYC
Contributing MemberPosts: 977Gear list
Like?
Re: Got an X-T1 and 23mm f/1.4 today. My first Fuji.
In reply to kewlguy, 7 months ago

kewlguy wrote:

You shot mostly in low light and 23/1.4 is probably not the fastest in term of AF. In my experience, 27/2.8 is faster than 23/1.4 when it comes to AF.

that said, I still use Canon DSLR with a bunch of L lenses - but I was hardly disappointed with X-E1 AF. I mean, X-E1 is not fast - but not unusable. It gets the job done. Then I got the X-E2, it's actually fast and reliable.

I can't imagine X-T1 AF disappointing - I mean, give it a try for at least a week, and use other Fuji lenses, too.

But in the end, I'm sure the IQ will compensate for whatever disappointed you in the first place

So the 27 2.8 is faster than 23 1.4 at AF and low light? that's interesting. Can anyone else confirm this?

Jake21
Contributing MemberPosts: 513
Like?
Re: caf vs pdaf ?

Given the light level; my guess is it was using caf instead of pdaf; how is focus speed when there is more light ?

The Photo Ninja wrote:

I blogged about it here with samples: http://www.bershatsky.com/blog/2014/2/x-t1

Bottom line. Camera controls and layout are fine. The images are superb. The autofocus speed is sub par. Is it the lens itself? How are the other Fuji lenses. Or, is this just the way it is?

The birthday girl.

DVT80111
Senior MemberPosts: 1,333Gear list
Like?
In reply to 57LowRider, 7 months ago

There were lights in the room, not that low to me.  The Canon 70D would have no problem.

Oh well, I will wait for the next world faster AF body.

DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 70D
Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 3,992
Like?
My first Fuji. I'm impressed and disappointed at the same time.

The Photo Ninja wrote:

... The autofocus speed is sub par. Is it the lens itself? How are the other Fuji lenses.

Relax.

As you say "sub par", but only because "ON-Par" is so ridiculously fast and reliable with a certain other unmentionable format.

(I cannot believe the trolling going on at you in this thread!)

On the other hand ... of course it could simply be the lens. Try the original bright kit zoom post-firmware-upgrade.

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

Chris Dodkin
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,957Gear list
Like?
Low Light AF

Low light AF - you said in your blog that you shot most of the images in low light.

You can change the AF box size on the camera and see if that assists in low light - this is a feature that often gets overlooked as it's not obvious, and is not a feature that is common to DSLRs for example.

I'd also go play with the camera & lens in decent light and see what you think of the AF then.

-- hide signature --

http://f-sunny.com
The future is just a click away...

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,539Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm impressed and disappointed at the same time.

What I can't figure out is the need to shoot at ISO 6400.

By setting the aperture wide open at that ISO you've destroyed whatever ambiance the setting may have provided. Instead of being a low-light image with character, you've turned this picture into something that was seemingly taken on a bright, but overcast afternoon on the patio at 2:15 pm.

The Photo Ninja
Like?
Lights on? How would you know?
In reply to DVT80111, 7 months ago

It was in a dark and dreary coffee shop in downtown Tacoma with barely a few light bulbs on and some natural gray, rainy day lighting coming in from the front.  When was the last time you needed ISO 6400 f/1.4 for a well lit room?

Give me a break!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads