Got an X-T1 and 23mm f/1.4 today. My first Fuji. I'm impressed and disappointed at the same time.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,645
Like?
Got an X-T1 and 23mm f/1.4 today. My first Fuji. I'm impressed and disappointed at the same time.
6 months ago

I blogged about it here with samples: http://www.bershatsky.com/blog/2014/2/x-t1

Bottom line.  Camera controls and layout are fine.  The images are superb.  The autofocus speed is sub par.  Is it the lens itself?  How are the other Fuji lenses.  Or, is this just the way it is?

The birthday girl.

Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,442Gear list
Like?
Not sure what you're problem is
In reply to The Photo Ninja, 6 months ago

I'm not sure why you are having the experience you are. I also received my T1 Thursday and a 23mm f1.4 yesterday. The focus speeds with that lens are near instant unless I'm racking it from one end to the other, in which case it focus locks in about 3/4 of a sec. It focus locks otherwise at shorter distances nearly as fast as it takes for me to press the shutter. So I'd call it pretty much "instant". I am impressed with the shutter response from this camera in general as I don't miss a shot even on moving subjects.

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
denrusso
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Check the firmware

Did you update the firmware of the lens?  I thought the same with my 35 until I realized the firmware was out of date.  IMHO it made a huge difference in the autofocus...

dr

-- hide signature --

x-t1
x100s
35mm f1.4

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,329Gear list
Like?
Fuji X settings advice

I will answer and make an assumption and this for every photographer that is hopping on the Fuji X bandwagon.

Very short story first. From your history I see you are a MFT's user as I was till last year or so. I shot the GH-3 and needed a good compact and settled on the Fuji X20. The results were disappointing and I was ready to return the camera. However, I learned all about using that camera with more manual control.

With that I went to the Fuji XE-1, sold that and will get the XT-1.

Ok, here is my suggestion to at least try. I have no idea how you have your camera set, but this is how all the Fuji X cameras that I have used seem to work best.

• Manually set Dynamic Range do not use auto. Start with 100% and leave it there
  • Dynamic Range is linked to ISO. Read the owners manual it explains it.
  • Manually set ISO to the lighting or scene at hand. Treat it as if you are shooting film and have to set ISO to get a proper meter reading.
  • Manually select AF point, do not let the camera choose
  • Be sure the XT-1 is set to FOCUS priority not RELEASE priority. I understand it comes from the factory set to release priority. This means the camera will fire regardless of focus lock.

Last, double check firmware, but typically all should be current with a new camera etc.

To the masses it is your camera to do whatever works for you this is just me and I think it is worth at least trying and go from there.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
The Photo Ninja
Like?
No firmware out on the 23mm f/1.4
In reply to denrusso, 6 months ago

- Noah

SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,442Gear list
Like?
Great advice Ryan
In reply to ryan2007, 6 months ago

didn't know the dynamic range setting was tied to ISO. I'll change that now.

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Epson Stylus Pro 3880
The Photo Ninja
Like?
Maybe it's because I was in very low light???

Another thing that occurs to me, is that all of these pictures were shot in very low light at an average of ISO 6400. Perhaps that is why my focusing experience was less than optimal.

AustinB
Regular MemberPosts: 380
Like?
Re: Got an X-T1 and 23mm f/1.4 today.

Question for the OP, was this shot a JPEG SOOC?

fotophool
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,723
Like?
Re: Got an X-T1 and 23mm f/1.4 today. My first Fuji. I'm impressed and disappointed

The Photo Ninja wrote:

I blogged about it here with samples: http://www.bershatsky.com/blog/2014/2/x-t1

Bottom line. Camera controls and layout are fine. The images are superb. The autofocus speed is sub par. Is it the lens itself? How are the other Fuji lenses. Or, is this just the way it is?

The birthday girl.

Next thing you know some people here will be telling you that Fujis have no focus issues, while simultaneously telling you that waxy skin tones are solely attributable to focus issues.

So go figure.

fotophool

My Flickr Pics

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,329Gear list
Like?
Re: Maybe it's because I was in very low light???

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Another thing that occurs to me, is that all of these pictures were shot in very low light at an average of ISO 6400. Perhaps that is why my focusing experience was less than optimal.

I would say the same photography principals apply.

If you need a f stop fixed at say F 4.0 then you have to mess with ISO. If ISO is getting too high, switch to manual exposure, use exposure compensation.

Point is and IMO Fuji X is the digital version of a manual film camera. For the heck of and with nothing to loose try shooting the Fuji X, like you would a film SLR.

Pick ISO for the scene at hand, slow the shutter speed and if you are concerned about DOF do not open the lens all the way, but bracket the exposure.

You still may need a mono-pod or table top tripod or even the cable release to help.

Nothing to loose because you are not paying for film and processing. It is just getting used to the way Fuji works and from what I have experience and again IMO, Fuji for me likes more manual input. After that go to the Auto setting to see whats what IMO.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
The Photo Ninja
Like?
Yes
In reply to AustinB, 6 months ago

shot at ISO 6400

AustinB
Regular MemberPosts: 380
Like?
Re: Yes

You may want to dial down the noise reduction to -2, as many of us do with the X cameras. There can be some fairly strong noise reduction and I see some of it in your blog pics (women in 3rd row).

Sorry I can't answer about AF speed. My X-e1 is slow in low light but that is neither here nor there.

jamesfrmphilly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,588
Like?
i find it hard to believe that someone is complaining about a picture shot at 6400

when i started 400 was fast.

you hold a miracle of technology in your hand but you cannot be troubled to learn how to use it?

geez

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,263Gear list
Like?
Re: Maybe it's because I was in very low light???

ryan2007 wrote:

The Photo Ninja wrote:

I would say the same photography principals apply.

If you need a f stop fixed at say F 4.0 then you have to mess with ISO. If ISO is getting too high, switch to manual exposure, use exposure compensation.

Point is and IMO Fuji X is the digital version of a manual film camera. For the heck of and with nothing to loose try shooting the Fuji X, like you would a film SLR.

Pick ISO for the scene at hand, slow the shutter speed and if you are concerned about DOF do not open the lens all the way, but bracket the exposure.

You still may need a mono-pod or table top tripod or even the cable release to help.

Nothing to loose because you are not paying for film and processing. It is just getting used to the way Fuji works and from what I have experience and again IMO, Fuji for me likes more manual input. After that go to the Auto setting to see whats what IMO.

I say skip picking ISO, this is digital after all and not film.  I just set the auto ISO range on APS-C cameras to max at 3200 and go from there.  Only time I force ISO is on a tripod.  Most of the reasons I am on a tripod I will want to use minimum ISO.

The nice thing with the dial is if you choose to set a specific ISO it is easy to see that so you don't make the mistake of leaving at wrong ISO (which is why I always use auto ISO) for those like Ryan who like to set ISO manually.

Set your minimum shutter speed to be fast enough for your subjects.

To the OP, to help focus speed, make sure you have contrast on your subjects face, you really have to have some sort of fill light or the camera will struggle.  With just a little contrast across the front of the subject the camera will focus much faster, even in low light.

Like in your subject in the first post, put a medium sized focus point right on her face, the little metal bits on her headband will be easy for the camera to focus on.  Learning to watch for high contrast areas and putting the focus point there can really help speed things up.

The bottom line is you can't treat the AF system at all like an SLR camera because they don't act the same.  Turn off image review so you can get your viewfinder back instantly after taking a shot and only review when you need to.

The other thing with EVF cameras is be sure to use the viewfinder and verify the camera is focused where it should be.  You can see if it focus on the background in a high res viewfinder.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
The Photo Ninja
Like?
James, you're insulting, but do you have any idea what you are talking about?
In reply to jamesfrmphilly, 6 months ago

I wasn't complaining at all about ISO 6400 - I think it's awesome!

I was talking about the focus speed in comparison to other cameras.

Sure, I could shoot this photo at f/22 with a pinhole camera, put it on a tripod, and do a very long exposure, or have a wild flash bulb or better yet, gun powder in a holder.

fotophool
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,723
Like?
Re: i find it hard to believe that someone is complaining about a picture shot at 6400
In reply to jamesfrmphilly, 6 months ago

jamesfrmphilly wrote:

when i started 400 was fast.

you hold a miracle of technology in your hand but you cannot be troubled to learn how to use it?

geez

Geez yourself, with your two pictures shot two years ago.

All this technology at hand and that's the best you can muster?

Show us your stuff, guy!

fotophool

My Flickr Pics

Sherman90
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Re: James, you're insulting, but do you have any idea what you are talking about?

You've had the camera - your first Fuji - for one day. Give it some time.

The Photo Ninja
Like?
Good advice with the image review. I like chimping, but I can refrain - I think.
In reply to viking79, 6 months ago

Also, with the contrast/light.  For candid's which is what these were, it's not always possible to do that.

Perhaps, I should have left the light assist focus beam on.  I wanted to be unobtrusive and turned it off.

NeilJones
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,281Gear list
Like?
A classic example..

Of someone who has no clue what they are doing with a camera.

Sorry. Someone had to say it!

ljclark
Senior MemberPosts: 2,283Gear list
Like?
Re: Good advice with the image review. I like chimping, but I can refrain - I think.

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Also, with the contrast/light. For candid's which is what these were, it's not always possible to do that.

Perhaps, I should have left the light assist focus beam on. I wanted to be unobtrusive and turned it off.

Nothing wrong with chimping.  It's just that you want to be the chimpER (you decide when to chimp) instead of being the chimpEE (the camera decides when to chimp).  Auto review with a DSLR is just an annoyance (and a bit of a battery drain).  With EVFs, auto review can be a hostile takeover.

Best of luck sorting things out.

ljclark's gear list:ljclark's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +36 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads